NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker

Postby Candensia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello GI colleagues, my latest offering is ready for peer-review. Your comments are appreciated, as always. :)

First Draft
[DRAFT] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker/b]

[b][The Issue]
- As @@NAME@@ continues to grapple with methamphetamine and its cooks, law enforcement officials have suggested limiting access to meth precursor chemicals, such as pseudoephedrine, a common nasal decongestant sold in pharmacies across the country.

[issuevalidity] - Follow-up to #1016. Must have selected 1016.1, 1016.2, or 1016.4

[Option 1] - "It's unfortunate that the national drug problem has even infiltrated our pharmacies," laments @@ANIMAL@@ City police commissioner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Cracking the meth crisis starts with making things harder for meth cooks, and that means restricting the sale of meth precursors like pseudoephedrine. By limiting the amount of this drug citizens can buy, we can put the brakes on meth-makers, who require it in bulk to maintain their deadly production. Buyers should also have valid identification and posses good reason to acquire the drug, and any citizen with good intentions will be able to provide both to their pharmacist."

[effect] - costume stores do suspiciously well when built adjacent to a pharmacy

[Option 2] - "Limits are good, but not nearly good enough," remarks @@RANDOMNAME@@, an anti-drug activist. "In order to stop the spread of meth in our society, there must be even stricter regulations in place regarding the sale of chemicals directly involved in its manufacture. If it were up to me, anyone looking to purchase pseudoephedrine or similar precursors in @@NAME@@ would need to posses a valid prescription from a licensed doctor. Such methods are worth the trouble, after all, drugs kill people!"

[effect] - the underground allergy relief market blooms in winter

[Option 3] - "Restricting pseudoephedrine sales only hurts responsible, law-abiding drug users!" exclaims Medical Rights Association spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "In the end, criminals are going to get the drug illegally, so restrictions or limits of any kind will be in vain. Rather than targeting law-abiding citizens, the government should establish harsher, deterring penalties for those actually involved in meth trafficking, cooking, and dealing. If someone is willing to corrupt @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ communities, then they ought to spend the rest of their life reflecting on it."

[effect] - being caught with a speck of meth is met with mandatory life imprisonment

Second Draft

[DRAFT] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker

[The Issue] - As @@NAME@@ continues to grapple with methamfetaimne and its cooks, law enforcement officials have suggested limiting access to meth precursor chemicals, such as pseudoephedrine, a common nasal decongestant sold in pharmacies across the country.

[issuevalidity] - Follow-up to #1016. Must have selected 1016.1, 1016.2, or 1016.4

[Option 1] - "It's unfortunate that the national drug problem has even infiltrated our pharmacies," laments @@ANIMAL@@ City police commissioner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Cracking the meth crisis starts with making things harder for meth cooks, and that means restricting the sale of meth precursors like pseudoephedrine. By limiting the amount of this drug citizens can buy, we can put the brakes on meth-makers, who require it in bulk to maintain their deadly production. Such limits are truly reasonable, unless you happen to be a pack-a-day pill-popper, in which case you probably have bigger problems."

[effect] - costume stores do suspiciously well when built adjacent to a pharmacy

[Option 2] - "And it's not like there are any real reasons to buy pseudo anyway," sniffles @@RANDOMNAME@@, a cold-stricken anti-drug activist. "Limits are good, but not nearly good enough. It’s still too easy for clandestine chemists to get their hands on precursors, as they can still just buy them from their local pharmacy as if it were a 24-hour meth minimart. The solution, like forms of meth itself, is crystal clear: anyone looking to purchase pseudoephedrine or similar precursors in @@NAME@@ needs to posses a valid prescription from a licensed doctor. This level of control is worth the trouble, after all, drugs kill peopl- achoo!"

[Option 3] - "Restricting pseudoephedrine sales only hurts responsible, law-abiding drug users!" exclaims Medical Rights Association spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "In the end, criminals are going to get the drug illegally, so restrictions or limits of any kind will be in vain. Rather than targeting law-abiding citizens, the government should establish harsher, deterring penalties for those actually involved in meth trafficking, cooking, and dealing. Meth morons are willing to corrupt @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ society, and @@NAME@@ needs to remove them from it permanently."

[effect] - being caught with a speck of meth is met with mandatory life imprisonment

Third Draft

[DRAFT] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker

[The Issue] - With methamphetamine still on (and in) the minds of many @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@, law enforcement officials have suggested limiting access to meth precursor chemicals, such as pseudoephedrine, a common nasal decongestant sold in pharmacies across the country.

[Option 1] - "It's unfortunate that the national drug problem has even infiltrated our pharmacies," laments @@ANIMAL@@ City police commissioner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Cracking the meth crisis starts with making things harder for meth cooks, and that means restricting the sale of meth precursors like pseudoephedrine. By limiting the amount of this drug citizens can buy, we can put the brakes on meth-makers, who require it in bulk to maintain their deadly production. Such limits are truly reasonable, unless you happen to be a pack-a-day pill-popper, in which case you probably have bigger problems."

[Option 2] - "And it's not like there are any real reasons to buy pseudo anyway," sniffles @@RANDOMNAME@@, a cold-stricken anti-drug activist. "Limits are good, but not nearly good enough. It’s still too easy for clandestine chemists to get their hands on precursors, as they can still just buy them from their local pharmacy as if it were a 24-hour meth minimart. The solution, like forms of meth itself, is crystal clear: anyone looking to purchase pseudoephedrine or similar precursors in @@NAME@@ needs to posses a valid prescription from a licensed doctor. This level of control is worth the trouble, after all, drugs kill peopl- achoo!"

[Option 3] - "Restricting pseudoephedrine sales only hurts responsible, law-abiding drug users!" exclaims Medical Rights Association spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I'm no criminal, I just buy my meds by the metric ton, and the government has no right to interfere! Rather than targeting law-abiding citizens, @@NAME@@ should establish even harsher, deterring penalties for those actually involved in the illegal drug trade. Meth morons are willing to corrupt @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ society after all, and so I hope they get addicted to the sweet taste of justice."

[effect] - drug raids and rock candy confiscations have increased exponentially

Current Draft

[DRAFT] - Meet Your (Meth) Maker SUBMITTED 11/26/18

[The Issue] - With methamphetamine still on (and in) the minds of many @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@, law enforcement officials have suggested limiting access to meth precursor chemicals, such as pseudoephedrine, a common nasal decongestant sold in pharmacies across the country.

[Option 1] - "Drugstores are being taken advantage of, and what darn shame it is," laments rural sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@. "If we're gonna stop this methampheta-meltdown, we need'a restrict the sale of meth precursors. Doing so will stomp the brakes on meth makers, who require em in bulk to keep up their deadly production. A reasonable monthly limit ain't gonna harm nobody, unless you're a pack-a-day pill-popper, and then you have bigger problems anyway."

[Option 2] - "And it's not like there are any real reasons to buy pseudo in the first place," sniffles @@RANDOMNAME@@, a cold-stricken anti-drug activist. "Limits are good, but not nearly good enough. It’s still too easy for clandestine chemists to get their hands on precursors, as they can still just buy them from their local pharmacy as if it were a 24-hour meth minimart. The solution, like forms of meth itself, is crystal clear: anyone looking to purchase pseudoephedrine or similar precursors in @@NAME@@ needs to posses a valid prescription from a licensed doctor. This level of control is worth the trouble, after all, drugs kill peopl- achoo!"

[optionvalidity] - capitalist
[Option 3A] - "Restricting pseudoephedrine sales only hurts responsible, law-abiding drug users!" passionately exclaims Medical Rights Association spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I'm no criminal, I just buy my meds by the metric ton, and I should continue to be allowed to do so! Anyway, this is something drug companies are better equipped to solve...with state support. Some government @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ would go a long way towards developing safer drugs that can't be used by meth cooks. Oh, and maybe we can send some chill pills to those drug-control loonies too."

[effect] - drug abuse is combated through drug use

[optionvalidity] - communist
[Option 3B] - "Restricting pseudoephedrine sales only hurts responsible, law-abiding drug users!" passionately exclaims Medical Rights Association spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I'm no criminal, I just buy my meds by the metric ton, and I should continue to be allowed to do so! Anyway, this is something drug makers are equipped to solve, if the government prioritizes it. Additional @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ would go a long way towards developing safer drugs that can't be used by meth cooks. Oh, and maybe we can send some chill pills to those drug-control loonies too."

[effect] - drug abuse is combated through drug use
Last edited by Candensia on Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 am, edited 52 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Isn't it impossible to flip that chemical?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:33 pm

I did some hotfixes. The order of options 2 and 3 have been swapped, and both options have been tweaked to accommodate this. I believe the narrative flows a bit better because of this.

I've also swapped the title out for something I think works better. (although I'm going to keep twisting it around)
Last edited by Candensia on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Each of the options currently uses fairly formal language. I think it might be a good idea to have the speakers use more distinct idioms from each other.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 pm

This is solidly written, Candensia, but there really is no humor to the issue itself. This feels like I'm reading a report, not a funny NS issue.

I also think you could do better with the title.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 am

Draft two is out!

I've reworded options one and two, they should be a bit more humorous.
I have not yet changed the title, but suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for your continued feedback. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am

Got Meth?

:rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Jutsa wrote:Got Meth?

:rofl:

Suggestion noted. I’ll keep thinking.

I’ve spruced up option two some more. Never thought I’d refer to a pharmacy as a “24-hour meth mini-mart”, but here we are.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Never thought I’d refer to a pharmacy as a “24-hour meth mini-mart”, but here we are.

Yeah, that tends to happen in GI.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 am

Great issue idea and good writing but:

Hediacrana wrote:Each of the options currently uses fairly formal language. I think it might be a good idea to have the speakers use more distinct idioms from each other.

This, very much this. Likewise the opening seems a bit dry and technical. Can you punch it up a bit?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 am

Draft three is out, here are some key changes.

Title has been changed to "Meet Your (Meth) Maker. (Tell me if those parenthesis should be removed or not)

The description has been edited slightly for enhanced satire.

Option 3 has been reworded to increase humor and to highlight differences in character.

Effect 3 has been redone.

Thank you for the continued feedback. :)
Last edited by Candensia on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Additionally, I’m starting to feel as if Option 3 would work IF this issue was intended as a standalone issue, rather than one that chains off #1016.

Should I tweak the option so that it doesn’t sound like a broken record of #1016.1?

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Okay. Fourth draft out.

Here are some key changes.

Option 3 has been significantly reworked.

Option 3A is a variant for capitalist nations, 3B for communist nations.

Hopefully, the draft now avoids sounding repetitive in the wake of #1016.
Last edited by Candensia on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:36 pm

I really like the current form, and I think it's a great issue, but I still think it would be good to vary the language used by some of the speakers a little. They all sound like well-informed, well-educated citizens with a good number of Greek- and Latin-derived terms in their vocabulary. Could you see changing one or more of hem into people with a slightly more slangy, working-class type sociolect?
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Hediacrana wrote:I really like the current form, and I think it's a great issue, but I still think it would be good to vary the language used by some of the speakers a little. They all sound like well-informed, well-educated citizens with a good number of Greek- and Latin-derived terms in their vocabulary. Could you see changing one or more of hem into people with a slightly more slangy, working-class type sociolect?

Yes, I see exactly what you're saying, and it is a great idea. It's just surprisingly difficult for me, I feel as if the argument sounds inauthentic.

My privileged upbringing and college education is not helping me here. :p

Option 1 has been reworded.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:31 am

I've tweaked option one to promote some variety in dialect. How're we looking now?

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 pm

If there aren't any loose ends to tie up, I'll be sending this one to meet its maker (or rather to await its fate) in the coming days.

Last call.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am

And submitted.

Your feedback was invaluable, everyone. Thank you. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 am

Good luck, Candensia! I'm sure it's a keeper, though. :D

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?