NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Hearts of Iron

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Hearts of Iron

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 am

This is another one of those more grim ones, frankly. :blush:

Any input, particularly on humor and irl debate on the subject, would be more than appreciated. :)

Draft 2.10
Title: Hearts of Iron
The Issue: @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was given a medical ventilator in place of lungs, a hemiodialysis machine in place of kidneys, and an artificial heart, all while suffering from paralysis, amnesia, and a brutal cold. Despite wanting to do everything in their power to support @@HIM@@, doctors and hospital funding managers are concerned that this is just one of many cases where the limited resources could've been used to help people more likely to recover to a normal life. You've arranged a hospital visit to discuss this matter and score a few brownie points.
Validity: Must have Universal Healthcare OR Some Subsidized Insurance; Adult

Validity: Euthanasia is legal
Option 1a: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ requesting not to receive euthanasia, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better spent saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."
[effect] medical staff can legally quiet people who ask for too much gelatin

Validity: Euthanasia is illegal
Option 1b: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ urge to stay alive, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better spent saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."
[Flag Change] [Euthanasia is legal]

Option 2: "N-nooo," whimpers the faint old voice of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, at least you think: it's hard to tell with all of the medical equipment. "I... grandchildren... nooo..." @@HIS@@ nurse steps in after dispensing some hand sanitizer. "It is @@HIS@@ wish to live, and it should be our job to see to it @@HE@@ lives. We need all the money we can get! Relocate government funds from other departments, especially the military. We need more life and less death." You smell a strange odor from the patient's portable bed.
[effect] remains are kept in five-foot-thick iron caskets

Validity: No Universal Healthcare
Option 3a: "We wouldn't have this problem if insurance companies didn't have a safety cushion," argues the unusually wealthy @@RANDOMNAME@@, discretely replacing the golden clipboard with a yellow one. "We shouldn't babysit those which haven't worked hard on compromises, or spent all their money helping people like @@LASTNAME_1@@. Slash all subsidies to the insurance industries; let them fight for survival. If people still don't end up having enough money, well... that takes care of our limited resource problem. Win-win."
[effect] patients whose life savings were spent on health coverage are ignored

Validity: Universal Healthcare
Option 3b: "We wouldn't have this problem if only patients willing and able to pay up get treatment," argues the unusually wealthy @@RANDOMNAME@@, discretely replacing the golden clipboard with a yellow one. "We shouldn't babysit those whom haven't worked hard enough, or spent all their money on lip gloss and maple syrup. Ditch the universal healthcare system; let those who need it cover the costs. If they don't have enough money, well... that takes care of our limited resource problem. Win-win."
[Flag Change] [Removes Universal Healthcare]

The Issue: @@RANDOMNAME@@ was given a medical ventilator in place of lungs, a hemiodialysis machine in place of kidneys, and an artificial heart, all while suffering from paralysis, amnesia, and a brutal cold. Despite wanting to do everything in their power to support @@HIM@@, doctors and hospital funding managers are concerned that this is just one of many cases where the limited resources could've been used to help people more likely to recover to a normal life.
Validity: Must have Universal Healthcare OR Some Subsidized Insurance; Adult

Option 1a: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ requesting not to receive euthanasia, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."

Option 1b: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ urge to stay alive, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."

Option 2: "NO!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, @@LASTNAME_1@@'s teenage grandchild, shoving @@LASTNAME_2@@ aside to save a bug that's probably disease-ridden. "These doctors can not be allowed to murder my grandparent!. If you're having trouble with funds, then put a boat load more money and resources into health care! We could take it from the military; we need more life and less death!" The bug bites @@HIM_3@@ on the arm.

Validity: No Universal Healthcare
Option 3a: "We wouldn't have this problem if insurance companies didn't have a safety cushion," argues the unusually wealthy @@RANDOMNAME@@, discretely replacing the golden clipboard with a yellow one. "We shouldn't babysit those which haven't worked hard on compromises, or spent all their money helping people like @@LASTNAME_1@@. Slash all subsidies to the insurance industries; let them fight for survival. If people still don't end up having enough money, well... that takes care of our limited resource problem. Win-win."

Validity: Universal Healthcare
Option 3b: "We wouldn't have this problem if only patients willing and able to pay up get treatment," argues the unusually wealthy @@RANDOMNAME@@, discretely replacing the golden clipboard with a yellow one. "We shouldn't babysit those whom haven't worked hard enough, or spent all their money on lip gloss and maple syrup. Ditch the universal healthcare system; let those who need it cover the costs. If they don't have enough money, well... that takes care of our limited resource problem. Win-win."
[Flag Change] [Removes Universal Healthcare]

The Issue: @@RANDOMNAME@@ was given a medical ventilator in place of lungs, a hemiodialysis machine in place of kidneys, and an artificial heart, all while suffering from paralysis, amnesia, and a brutal cold. Despite wanting to do everything in their power to support @@HIM@@, doctors and hospital funding managers are concerned that this is just one of many cases where the limited resources could've been used to help people more likely to recover to a normal life.
Validity: Adult

Option 1a: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ requesting not to receive euthanasia, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."

Option 1b: "This one @@MAN@@, who is barely even alive at this point, is costing @@NAME@@ a fortune," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, in charge of the Northwest @@NAME@@ Hospital Fund, reading from a golden clipboard. "Despite @@HIS_1@@ urge to stay alive, we think it's best for everyone if we pull the plug. Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better saving many more lives. Please, let us euthanize patients in conditions like these."

Option 2: "N-no, lets not do that," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@NAME_1@@'s teenage grandchild, giving CPR to a garden snake. "I refuse to let these doctors get away with murder. Let's-" @@HE@@ gives the snake another puff of air. "Let's put a boat load more money and resources into health care!" One puff of air later, "We could take it from the military; we need more life and less death!" The snake pathetically escapes and slithers away.

Option 3: "What are you doing with Jake?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a nature-obsessed guru with ever-so-slightly slitted eyes, to the previous speaker. "If you ask me, a good compromise is to neither kill them nor force them to live. Just let nature take its course! No euthanasia, no fancy machines; just good, old-fashioned death by the book and physical deterioration. You'll save a boat load of money as well as avoid being accused of murder." @@HE@@ winks slyly as Jake the snake cripples next to @@HIM@@.
[effect] doctors get paid for doing nothing
[Flag Change] [Euthanasia is illegal*]
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am, edited 18 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 am

I expected a capitalist "does he have the money to pay for all those treatments himself?" option.

Also, why are you giving CPR to a snake? Is the snake injured?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 am

Trotterdam wrote:Also, why are you giving CPR to a snake? Is the snake injured?

Yeah, the snake thing seemed a bit weird. There must be a better way to show that speaker 2 cares about the sanctity of life.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 am

Fair. I'll try to think of something else for 2's speaker. :P
(any ideas proposed before {or even after} are welcome and appreciated)

@Capitalist Option: Yes. Very good idea. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Baggieland wrote:Yeah, the snake thing seemed a bit weird. There must be a better way to show that speaker 2 cares about the sanctity of life.

maybe you could have @@LEADER@@ almost step on a bug and the child pushes you away to save his life. Just a suggestion. Great premise. I love the golden clipboard signifying the hospitals have money there just not spending it on the right places.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks. I was worried, and still am worried, that it was a tiny bit of a stretch. :lol:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Pretty big changes: Changed option 2 a fair little bit, and changed option 3 entirely.
(though the concept of "let people die" is still partially there, it frankly works so much better.)

3 was also difficult, because I ended up having to think about insurance and national health care coverage,
and it's just... wowh. Anyhow, I hope these two work* better.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 am

Based on that title, I was expecting something related to a certain World War 2 strategy game. :p

The only thing I can add is that the stance of the patient (i.e.; wanting to stay alive) should be given more weight. That is a factor that is going to affect the decision a lot and at present I don't think it's being given its due.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 am

Why aren't there enough of these machines to go around?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:54 am

It's kinda hard to have a paralyzed person with amnesia enter the conversation unless you're somehow there with him...
or he was wheeled in to your office, which would be pretty funny actually.

I did try to squeeze that in with
Despite @@HIS_1@@ requesting not to receive euthanasia
and
Despite @@HIS_1@@ urge to stay alive
, but I agree it's not quite powerful enough.

@Aussie: Wellh, if I may be perfectly honest, there's no particular reason other than "a lot of people have a lot of heath problems".
I'm sure some countries could probably manufacture a lot of health supplies, but regardless I'm sure there's a deficit in budget.
I thought about possibly restricting this to nations with a lower health budget, and I still probably could,
but... on the other hand, nations with an already bloated health budget might not wanna put more funds into healthcare either.
eh, who am I kidding, 100%+ taxes are a thing.

I'm up for debate on that one. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Based on that title, I was expecting something related to a certain World War 2 strategy game.
I honestly tried to quote someone from there, but it really didn't work. :p

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm

I agree with Chan Island that when I first saw the title I thought of HOI4 (EU4/CK2 are much better). But overall option 3.0/3.1 are significantly better than in your fist draft. Keep up the good work
Last edited by New Ladavia on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:13 pm

:lol: glad to read my rework's not gone to waste. Many thanks :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Finally... after 11 days. >.>

Made option 2's speaker into two other guys. Idk if this works but, here's hoping it gives the debate more gravity.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Jutsa wrote:Finally... after 11 days. >.>

Made option 2's speaker into two other guys. Idk if this works but, here's hoping it gives the debate more gravity.

I like options two speakers so much better I agree it definitely ads character and importance to what your deciding. Good work Justa.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 pm

lol thanks. :lol:

edit: Thinking about it, someone with amnesia wouldn't necessarily remember their grandchildren... would they?
hmmmm... might have to tweak that one a tiny bit. :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:15 am

Sure, amnesia can be pretty selective. While testing to see if someone recognises loved ones is one of the core tests of cognition and dementia, it can be preserved or lost separately to both short and long term memory capacity.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks, CWA; I'll probably keep it then. :)

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Wow, that option 2 speaker is now really powerful. I like it a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm

What about option 1? Is its argument still strong enough or does the favor tip too much to the second guy?

(I don't care about the third option's strength as much but my gosh have you guys helped me improve this whole draft so much.)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Jutsa wrote:"Yes, it sounds cruel, but the resources would be better saving many more lives."
I think you're missing a word. Would be better spent.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:48 pm

thanks. :rofl:

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Jutsa wrote:thanks. :rofl:

For Option 3b, I believe you're missing a word. "if only patients willing and able" should be "if only patients were willing and able" I may be wrong on that front. I think that Option 2 isn't given enough weight and that the comedy sort of undercuts the emotional argument that could be there. However, that may just be me.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Sougra wrote:For Option 3b, I believe you're missing a word. "if only patients willing and able" should be "if only patients were willing and able" I may be wrong on that front. I think that Option 2 isn't given enough weight and that the comedy sort of undercuts the emotional argument that could be there. However, that may just be me.
No, it's saying that only patients who are willing and able should get treatment. It's the conditional "if only", not the wishful "if only".

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Sougra wrote:For Option 3b, I believe you're missing a word. "if only patients willing and able" should be "if only patients were willing and able" I may be wrong on that front. I think that Option 2 isn't given enough weight and that the comedy sort of undercuts the emotional argument that could be there. However, that may just be me.
No, it's saying that only patients who are willing and able should get treatment. It's the conditional "if only", not the wishful "if only".

Oh. That makes sense. I just didn't think of it like that. Thank you.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?