NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Step 2: Electric Boogaloo

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Step 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 am

So, aside from the name of this draft, this is one where I've gone a little adventurous and made some...
well, fairly unusual character choices.

Also this is another crack at a mostly ignored policy. Enjoy. :)

Draft 1.02
Title: Step 2: Electric Boogaloo
The Issue: Being rather bored and lazy, your nephew decided to make a series of makeshift video games, ranging from using a paint app to dragging files to play "I Spy". It turns out that banning video games is proving very difficult to enforce.
Validity: Video Games are illegal; Computers are legal

Option 1: "People like your dephew bake be sick," says Officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, coming out of a cold @@HE@@ caught from your nephew. "We have to create a ca-a-ACHOO!" Your secretary readies some disinfectant. "cabpaign agaidst these video gabes. Claib that they're eroding physical ad bedtal health, ad to be od the safe side, have their cobputers searched for ady suspicious a-a-AH... false alarb. Suspicious activity."
[effect] looking for a computer file for too long can cost a small fortune

Option 2: "There's only one sure-fire way to get these kids off of these computers," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, readying a sledgehammer. "Destroy them!" @@HE@@ lays the hammer into a defenseless smartphone. "Our society has been plagued by them for long enough!" @@HE@@ pants for a moment. "Computers, that is... n-not the children."
[effect] computers have been violently removed to teach kids to stop playing violent video games and instead play violent board games
[Flag Change] No Computers

Option 3: "Destroy? Good heavens..." says your nettling aunt, readying a dustpan and broom. "Are we barbarians? Not letting our little ones play what they want? Technology isn't going to kill them, @@LEADER@@. That sledgehammer might, but not the computer. Let them play what they may, even if they become wimpy and lazy. Ugh, move over." She sweeps up the destroyed equipment.
[effect] tic-tac-toe is now played on far more expensive mediums
[Flag Change] Cancels No Video Games

Validity: High Authoritarianism
Option 4: "Can we go back to destroying them? The children, I mean," crackles the Krampy Tantalus the Wacky Goat Witch of Northern @@NAME@@, horrifying everyone in the room. "Turn those impish video game players into cans of soup! Then sell 'em at grocery stores!" Your aunt faints, making a large mess in your office. "Very impish."
[effect] soup has never tasted quite so evil
[Flag Change] Installs Capital Punishment*

The Issue: Being rather bored and lazy, your nephew decided to make a series of makeshift video games, ranging from using a paint app to dragging files to play "I Spy". It turns out that banning video games is proving very difficult to enforce.

Option 1: "People like your dephew bake be sick," says Officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, coming out of a cold @@HE@@ caught from your nephew. "We have to create a ca-a-ACHOO!" Your secretary readies some disinfectant. "cabpaign agaidst these video gabes. Claib that they're eroding physical ad bedtal health, ad to be od the safe side, have their cobputers searched for ady suspicious a-a-AH... false alarb. Suspicious activity."

Option 2: "There's only one sure-fire way to get these kids off of these computers," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, readying a sledgehammer. "Destroy them!" @@HE@@ lays the hammer into a defenseless smartphone. "Our society has been plagued by them for long enough!" @@HE@@ pants for a moment. "Computers, that is... n-not the children."
[effect] computers have been violently removed to teach kids to stop playing violent video games and instead play violent board games

Option 3: "Destroy? Good heavens..." says @@RANDOMNAME@@, readying a dustpan and broom. "Are we barbarians? Not letting our little ones play what they want? Technology isn't going to kill them, @@LEADER@@. That sledgehammer might, but not the computer. Let them play what they may, even if they become wimpy and lazy. Ugh, move over." @@HE@@ sweeps up the destroyed equipment.

Option 4: "Can we go back to destroying them? The children, I mean," crackles the Krampy the Wacky Goat Witch of Northern @@NAME@@, horrifying everyone in the room. "Turn those impish video game players into cans of soup! Then sell 'em at grocery stores!" The previous speaker faints, making a large mess in your office. "Very impish."
[Flag Change] Installs Capital Punishment*

The Issue: Being rather bored and lazy, your nephew decided to make a series of makeshift video games, using things ranging from a paint app to using files to play "I Spy". It turns out that banning video games is proving very difficult to enforce.

Option 2: "There's only one sure-fire way to get these kids off of these computers," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, readying a sledgehammer. "Destroy them!" @@HE@@ lays the hammer into a defenseless smart phone. "Our society has been plagued by them for long enough!" @@HE@@ pants for a moment. "Computers, that is... n-not the children."

Option 3: "Destroy? Good heavens..." says @@RANDOMNAME@@, readying a dust pan and broom. "Are we barbarians? Not letting our little ones play what they want? Technology isn't going to kill them, @@LEADER@@. That sledge hammer might, but not the computer. Let them play what they may, even if they become wimpy and lazy. Ugh, move over." @@HE@@ sweeps up the destroyed equipment.

Option 4: "Can we just go back to that thought about destroying them? The children, I mean," crackles the Krampy the Wacky Goat Witch of Northern @@NAME@@, horrifying everyone in the room. "Turn those impish children into cans of soup! Then sell 'em on the market!" The previous speaker faints, making a large mess in your office. "Very impish."
[Flag Change] Installs Capital Punishment

Last edit: Nov 26, 2018.
Edit: Added "Tantalus" as Krampy's last name, thanks Westinor. :)
Note: This is more for future reference in case I wanna recycle this option. This issue's gotta be dead by now.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 am

The issue is good! A reversal already exists but another is welcome.

Liking the character with a cold. Not so much liking the misuse of the word literally.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 am

will change then.

Glad that I got a stamp of approval. :)

(also yeah, I know a reversal exists, but I still wanted another issue about it. :3)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Jutsa wrote:Being rather bored and lazy, your nephew decided to make a series of makeshift video games, using things ranging from a paint app to using files to play "I Spy".
Check your grammar here. The double "using" is conf-using.

Jutsa wrote:Validity: High Authoritarianism
Option 4: "Can we just go back to that thought about destroying them? The children, I mean," crackles the Krampy the Wacky Goat Witch of Northern @@NAME@@, horrifying everyone in the room. "Turn those impish children into cans of soup! Then sell 'em on the market!" The previous speaker faints, making a large mess in your office. "Very impish."
[Flag Change] Installs Capital Punishment
So... what? Is this all children, or just the ones who play video games?
Last edited by Trotterdam on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Good points... :rofl:

New draft's up. :)

I want it to just be the video-game-playing children, but honestly I feel weird having the witch actually say "video-game-playing".
I'd love some help on that one. :P

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 pm

It took me a lot longer than I would’ve liked to figure out that option one is horribly misspelled (on purpose).

Darn you, brain.

I do like the odd characters present in this draft.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm

lol thanks. I tried to make all of them unusual in some way. Was mostly an experiment, but I think it's turned out nicely.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:38 am

How did he learn to code them
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am

Wellh, I mean, programming languages probably still exist in nations with computers but no video games,
but the idea behind this was less "he programmed a game" and more "he technically played games by unconventional means".

I say this being a person who's done this plenty of times, myself. Nothing quite like a sporting round of
"Granny's Adventures in the Maze of Red Paint", y'know? And don't tell me you've never played Hide-and-go-seek with your computer files?
(I have, but only on accident.)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 am

Jutsa wrote:Wellh, I mean, programming languages probably still exist in nations with computers but no video games,
but the idea behind this was less "he programmed a game" and more "he technically played games by unconventional means".

I say this being a person who's done this plenty of times, myself. Nothing quite like a sporting round of
"Granny's Adventures in the Maze of Red Paint", y'know? And don't tell me you've never played Hide-and-go-seek with your computer files?

So what about countries with no computers?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:00 am

Covered in the validity. ;)

A shame said nations won't have this issue, but I think that they'd be more interested in bringing computers back than video games.
(Though Plug In and Play probably covers that anyway... idk, I imagine it would.)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 am

Jutsa wrote:I say this being a person who's done this plenty of times, myself. Nothing quite like a sporting round of
I enjoy using my computer to study mathematics. Does that count as a game?

As for files, I use grep for those.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm

I think option 2's effect line is a bit long. Also, I think it would work better if the speaker for option 3 was someone like your grandma.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Smartphone, sledgehammer, and dustpan are all one word. :) I like issues that deal with mostly unused policies.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:49 am

I even got the first sledgehammer right...

thanks, Sacara. :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 am

I know I've got a couple other drafts to work on, but I figured I'd bump this one for feedback.

Seems like it's gotten pretty good feedback, so I guess I'll put this one on last call? :P

Also, changing option 3's speaker to... idk, I kinda like "aunt" over "grandma" here, but I'll let an editor decide... if this gets picked up, of course.

ed: And done. Took a while. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 am

Submitted! Thank you all for helping. :)

I should note that it might be a little bit of time before I bump another draft, though; Gotta take a small break from writing, I think.
*Goes to the World Assembly to write more complicated and lengthier drafts whilst commenting IC* Yeah uh idk what's wrong with me either.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 am

Best wishes!
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?