NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted] Little Wrestlers Spark Big Controversy

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[submitted] Little Wrestlers Spark Big Controversy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Little Wrestlers Spark Big Controversy

[desc]A dwarf wrestling tour was cut short after advocacy groups complained that it was demeaning.

[option]"Just look at this!" fumes three-foot tall disabled rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving around a poster that you can't see over the top of your desk. "This isn't a sporting event; this is a modern-day freak show. It even says they have a 'midget toss'! I know the wrestlers agreed to participate, but they aren't the only ones that have to live with the dehumanizing stereotypes. @@NAME@@ shouldn't tolerate entertainment that pokes fun at people for their size or disabilities."
[effect]people who tease dwarfs are being cut down to size

[option]Suddenly, you see a diminutive wrestler in brightly-colored spandex hurtling toward you as someone tosses @@HIM@@ onto your desk and @@HE@@ knocks all your papers onto the floor. "Ha! What fun is life if you can't laugh at yourself?" @@HE@@ says. "Maybe wrestling isn't for everyone, but it's a lot better than being unemployed or having some boring office job. Instead of telling us what we can't do, why don't you give us some support and let us show everyone what we can do."
[effect]dwarf wrestling is a smash hit

"You're all thinking too small," slobbers creepy endocrinologist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leering down over the head of the wrestler and gesticulating erratically. "You've got to look at the big picture. We wouldn't have to worry about any of this if we had a cure for dwarfism, right? Well, I've just made a huge breakthrough in hormone treatments that would allow all these people to grow to a normal height. All I need is some funding to make my project a reality. Yes, that's all..." @@HE@@ cackles maniacally, though it's not clear what is so funny.
endocrinology is a rapidly growing field of study

Sometime around a year or two back -- it was around this time of year, but I do not remember if it was 2016 or 2017 -- I wrote an issue about freak shows, but wasn't really happy with it and never submitted it. Then earlier this fall I thought of revisiting it, but I thought it was a bit dated since freak shows have gone out of style so much. Around the same time, there was an NSG thread about a dwarf wrestling event that was cancelled for being insensitive, so I decided to do a draft about that instead of the freak shows. I am not sure if this draft strikes quite the right balance between humor and tastefulness, but I figured I'd put it up and start collecting feedback.

Little Wrestlers Spark Big Controversy

[desc]A dwarf wrestling tour was cut short after advocacy groups complained that it was demeaning.

[option]"Just look at this!" fumes three-foot tall disabled rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving around a poster that you can't see over the top of your desk. "This isn't a sporting event; this is a modern-day freak show. It even says they have a 'midget toss'! I know the wrestlers agreed to participate, but they aren't the only ones that have to live with the dehumanizing stereotypes. @@NAME@@ shouldn't tolerate entertainment that pokes fun at people for their size or disabilities."
[effect]people who tease dwarfs are being cut down to size

[option]Suddenly, you see a diminutive wrestler in brightly-colored spandex hurtling toward you as someone tosses @@HIM@@ onto your desk and @@HE@@ knocks all your papers onto the floor. "Ha! What fun is life if you can't laugh at yourself?" @@HE@@ says. "Maybe wrestling isn't for everyone, but it's a lot better than being unemployed or having some boring office job. Instead of telling us what we can't do, why don't you give us some support and let us show everyone what we can do."
[effect]dwarf wrestling is a smash hit

"You're all thinking too small," says creepy endocrinologist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leering down over the head of the wrestler. "You've got to look at the big picture. We wouldn't have to worry about any of this if we had a cure for dwarfism, right? Well, I've just made a huge breakthrough in hormone treatments that would allow all these people to grow to a normal height. All I need is some funding to make my project a reality."
endocrinology is a rapidly growing field of study

I am aware that the macros will make both the first two speakers the same gender every time. I am OK with that.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Why is dwarf wrestling differemt from other types of wrestling?

I think you're better off dealing with dwarf tossing
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Well, you can't very well have midgets wrestle in the same brackets as normal-sized people. It wouldn't be fair. We divide wrestlers by weight class over far less sizable differences.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is dwarf wrestling differemt from other types of wrestling?

The event that inspired this actually did have a "midget toss." That and the tone of the advertising were what offended people. The UK basically got this issue and chose option 1 -- though it was settled without going all the way to the prime minister.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:23 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why is dwarf wrestling differemt from other types of wrestling?

The event that inspired this actually did have a "midget toss." That and the tone of the advertising were what offended people. The UK basically got this issue and chose option 1 -- though it was settled without going all the way to the prime minister.

Yea, but wrestling=/=tossing
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Yea, but wrestling=/=tossing

The event that was canceled included both wrestling AND tossing: wrestling as the main event, "midget toss" on the side. The tossing part is mentioned in option 1. Providing additional info in the options like this has been done before in "Flash, AAAARGH!"

Regardless, I don't think it's that hard to understand that this is a question about using little people for trashy entertainment.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd just making the speaker in option three crazy because I'm not sure that it is actually a real thing making dwarfs tall. ;) It could add a lot of humor.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 am

I love the way this issue is written, and totally agree that the narrative expanding as the issue proceeds is totally fine.

The trick is having an opening that sets the situation out without feeling incomplete, which you've done/ Adding info afterwards is a good thing to do, so long as the opening is there as a solid base.

Gotta say, I love this issue concept all over.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 am

So... I'm probably going to emphasize the last speaker's screwiness a little more besides just calling him "creepy." Any other tinkering I should do?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm probably going to emphasize the last speaker's screwiness a little more besides just calling him "creepy."
:rofl:

Naeh, I've not got much to add. Such is the case with most if not all of your drafts. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Jutsa wrote:
I'm probably going to emphasize the last speaker's screwiness a little more besides just calling him "creepy."
:rofl:

Naeh, I've not got much to add. Such is the case with most if not all of your drafts. :)

I just never know if nobody's commenting because it's good the way it is, or if people are not interested, or what. I'll go tweak that option now...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:36 am

If I may be frank, it doesn't grasp me that much, but that's mostly because I'm weird and am not a huge sports fanatic.

Still, I assure you it's very good. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 am

USS Monitor wrote:

I saw the thread title alone and I instantly knew that was the inspiration for this. I'd love to have this as an issue.

I'll have a proper read through the options later, I'm sure that work wouldn't like me debating something to do with dwarf wrestling during work hours. HR would likely get involved.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:10 am

The New California Republic wrote:I'll have a proper read through the options later, I'm sure that work wouldn't like me debating something to do with dwarf wrestling during work hours. HR would likely get involved.

Yeah, understandable. :lol:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

Last call on this.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 am

USS Monitor wrote:Last call on this.

I had a look over it, and there is nothing in particular that I'd change. Can't wait to see this in my issues queue.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?