NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1167] - Another Brick in the Wall

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1167] - Another Brick in the Wall

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:42 pm

[Name] Another Brick in the Wall
[Desc] A devastating earthquake occurred on @@NAME@@’s northeastern border last night, taking down a section of the border wall in the process. To the surprise of the construction workers who showed up this morning, the area was filled by a group of masked people who opposed the building of the wall, blocking the rebuilding effort.
[Validity] Answered issue 47.1

[option] "There better be a good reason be a good reason we haven't started rebuildin' yet!" frantically exclaims your Minister of Barriers, toying around with a miniature replica of what appears to be a wall. "We ought to round up everyone there and arrest them. This is the top priority from now on. Hell, we could even make it bigger and better than before. I say it should get built at least ten feet higher in the area where it fell, and I suppose we ought to look into some techniques so it don’t fall over again, too."
[effect] those near the border stare into a seemingly infinitely tall concrete wall

[validity] allows immigration
[option] "Perhaps we could just keep the area in question as an entry point?" advocates @@RANDOMNAME@@, a long-time advisor who has a knack of creating compromises. "This could surely be a way that pleases both sides, if you think about it. This section will be just an area for folks to get in and out of the country by land. No one will go home mad: they'll be happy that nothing is built and you'll keep the border secured."
[effect] there's a significantly sized hole in the border wall

[option] "This just goes to show how much of a bad idea the wall was in the first place," protests one of the masked demonstrators, who refuses to tell you @@HIS@@ name. "Why do we need to be so strict on immigration, anyways? And imagine if we are forced to pay for every crack and bruise that’s on it? The only expense we’ll ever need is to tear down the whole thing right now. It’s time to set @@NAME@@ free again!"
[effect] border communities rejoice at the sight of the sky once again

[option] "How about we address the real problem: the wall isn't structurally sound!" exclaims your Minister of Integrity, whose department also includes construction work. "How can you ever claim to keep @@NAME@@'s border secure if a measly earthquake can just knock it done? It's time we fund a massive renovation of the entire wall. We must ensure that it can stand against any act of nature, no matter the severity."
[effect] the border wall can withstand anything from a volcano to a nuclear bomb
Last edited by Sacara on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 am, edited 11 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:47 am

There's no such thing as a nameless country
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Civitas Islands
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Civitas Islands » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:52 am

Australian rePublic wrote:There's no such thing as a nameless country

Luxembourg...

:rofl:

Jk, ya'll are cool
[i]Senator William Hammond, HCIL
Confederation of Corrupt Dictators

The Civitas Islands
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Civitas Islands » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:53 am

Oh and good issue.
[i]Senator William Hammond, HCIL
Confederation of Corrupt Dictators

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:46 am

Aussie, the use of a "small, unnamed nation" has been used far before my time in GI?... It's not something new. :blink:
The Civitas Islands wrote:Oh and good issue.
Any specific feedback?
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 am

Sacara wrote:
Aussie, the use of a "small, unnamed nation" has been used far before my time in GI?... It's not something new. :blink:

I think you don't need to say what's on the other side of the border, though.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 am

USS Monitor wrote:I think you don't need to say what's on the other side of the border, though.
Fair enough.

Any thoughts on the issue itself?
Commended by SC #382

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:13 am

Sacara wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I think you don't need to say what's on the other side of the border, though.
Fair enough.

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is an issue for the leader of the nation. When earthquakes destroy any other sort of infrastructure I can think of, we humans just go and fix or rebuild it. So why not with the wall?

Now, if there is a complication that is preventing that from happening, or perhaps some new factor making rebuilding that wall potentially undesirable.

The Civitas Islands wrote:

Luxembourg...

:(
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 am

To add to what Chan Island said,
For example, the ground could become unstable or even protesters from the blocked nation and/or your own nation
Last edited by South Ccanda on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:26 am

Chan Island wrote:
Sacara wrote:Fair enough.

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is an issue for the leader of the nation. When earthquakes destroy any other sort of infrastructure I can think of, we humans just go and fix or rebuild it. So why not with the wall?

Now, if there is a complication that is preventing that from happening, or perhaps some new factor making rebuilding that wall potentially undesirable.

If the wall was national government property, then the national government would be responsible for rebuilding it. It's not a decision that a national leader would normally spend a lot of time dwelling on, but I don't think it's a stretch that they would sign off.

I dunno... Might be clearer why @@LEADER@@ is dealing with it if you have your border security agency asking for funds to pay for the repairs or something.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: boats can't type
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 am

I think it's clear this needs editing, and I have to possible solutions that I would like to hear feedback on:
  • Protests are happening at the site where the wall collapsed, and that is preventing the government from rebuilding
  • Border security has to ask for money to rebuild it, and asks to build it even higher will be expensive
Which one sounds more interesting?
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 pm

I went ahead and edited the description and option one. Looking for feedback.
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:06 pm

We actually have an issue called "Hole in the Wall" 1060
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 am

So you've opted to go for the internal dissident route- which is perfectly fine, but it makes the corporate option seem a little out of place- unless that private corporation has it's own security personnel who know exactly how to handle those obstructionists. Surely a more appropriate option would be to in some way compromise or deal with the protesters. For example, this hole in the wall could be marked as an official border crossing with a road allowed through it.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 am

A small nameless country

Chan Island wrote:So you've opted to go for the internal dissident route- which is perfectly fine, but it makes the corporate option seem a little out of place- unless that private corporation has it's own security personnel who know exactly how to handle those obstructionists.
By giving them "cement overcoats" & incorporating them into the gap's long-term filling material?
^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Changed option two, added an option four, and changed the title.

Not sure how much I love the title -- would love to hear more about it.
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Option 4, I would have thought that the concern was crushing people, and that way, it's relevant whether or not @@HE@@ supports a wall. Further, there should be an option stating that "If these people like then so much, they should go live with them"
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 4, I would have thought that the concern was crushing people, and that way, it's relevant whether or not @@HE@@ supports a wall. Further, there should be an option stating that "If these people like then so much, they should go live with them"
Not sure I understand, Aussie. Could you explain a littler clearer?
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 am

Still looking for feedback on the updated draft. :)
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Sacara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 4, I would have thought that the concern was crushing people, and that way, it's relevant whether or not @@HE@@ supports a wall. Further, there should be an option stating that "If these people like then so much, they should go live with them"
Not sure I understand, Aussie. Could you explain a littler clearer?

Well you see, a huge arse giant wall collapsing would fall on things, and those things, and those things will be crushed

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Here's some thoughts and feedback! The items in red are missing or corrected words, the rest are thoughts on structure and narrative.

Sacara wrote:
[Name] Plug the Hole
[Desc] A devastating earthquake occurred on @@NAME@@’s northeastern border last night, in the process taking down a section of the border wall. To the surprise of the construction workers showed up this morning, the area was filled a group of masked people who opposed the building of the wall, blocking the rebuilding effort.
[Validity] Answered issue 47.1

- To the surprise of the construction workers who showed up this morning...

- ...the area was filled by a group of masked...

- I would suggest using the more standard phrasing "taking down a section of the border wall in the process."

- I would also consider shortening "masked people who opposed the building of the wall" to something more succinct like "masked anti-wall protestors"

Sacara wrote:
[option] "Why in the good Violet’s name haven’t we started rebuildin’ yet?" frantically asks your Minister of Barriers, toying around with a miniature replica of what appears to be a wall. "We ought to round up everyone there and arrest them. This is top priority from now on. Hell, we could even make it bigger and better than before. I say it should get built at least ten feet higher, and I suppose we ought to look into some techniques so it don’t fall over again, too."
[effect] those near the border stare into a seemingly infinitely tall concrete wall

- I might use a different exclamation by the minister, since a government official using a religious phrase wouldn't fit in a country that has outlawed religion. My country would have such a person arrested.

- There feels like a slight disconnect between "ten feet higher" and "seemingly infinitely tall" in the effect. I like the humor value of going higher, so I might suggest playing up that ("we should build it fifty, no, a hundred feet higher!"), and effect text it with something to play on that ("the border wall is known as 'the edge of the world'" or some such).

Sacara wrote:
[option] "Perhaps we could just keep the area in question as an entry point?" advocates @@RANDOMNAME@@, an long-time advisor who has a knack of creating compromises. "This could surely be a way that pleases both sides, if you think about it. This section will be just an area for folks to get in and out of the country by land. No one will go home mad: they'll be happy that nothing is built and you'll keep the border secured."
[effect] there's a significantly sized hole in border wall

- This will need a validity check for immigration and emigration policies

- The effect text isn't particularly notable. Perhaps something along the lines of "immigrants 'accidentally' knock holes in the wall whenever they want a new entrance"

Sacara wrote:
[option] "This just goes to show how much of a bad idea this was in the first place," protests your Minister of Being Open, an avowed opponent to the wall. "On top of the awful political ramifications the wall has on our country, it always has economic ones too! Imagine if we are forced to pay for every crack and bruise that’s on it? The only expense we’ll ever need to tear down the whole thing now. It’s time to set @@NAME@@ free again!"
[effect] border communities rejoice at the sight of the sky once again

- "The only expense we’ll ever need is to tear down the whole thing..."

- It would probably work better to say the minister is an opponent "of" the wall.

- One could clarify the first clause by rewording "...goes to show how much of a bad idea this was..." to something like ..."goes to show how bad an idea this was..."

Sacara wrote:
[option] "How about we address the real problem: the wall isn't structurally sound!" exclaims your Minister of Integrity, who's department also includes construction work. "How can you ever claim to keep @@NAME@@'s border secure if a measly earthquake can just knock it done? It's time we fund a massive renovation of the entire wall. We must ensure that it can stand against any act of nature, no matter the severity."
[effect] the border wall can withstand anything from a volcano to a nuclear bomb

- "...Minister of Integrity, whose department also includes..."

- There may need to be some additional differentiation from option 1. Option 1 already includes both making it taller and reinforcing it, so this one just saying "reinforce it" comes up a little short compared to the other three.

Hope some of that is helpful!

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Good thoughts, Verdant. Small grammar mistakes here and there mainly. I implemented most of them. :)
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Ayy Sacara I think you stuck the immigration validity on the wrong option, there. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Oh derp.

Fixed that and some other grammar stuff. Any more comments?
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:37 am

Naeh, I honestly really like this where it stands, myself. :)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?