NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1114] - Patriotism Flagging

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1114] - Patriotism Flagging

Postby Sacara » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks to hediacrana for the better title! Update with draft two.
[Name] Patriotism Flagging
[Desc] While taking a stroll through one of @@CAPITAL@@'s most diverse neighborhoods one afternoon, you noticed that many houses have flags flying outside of them. However, many are national flags representing foreign countries, and not one house was flying the @@DEMONYM@@ flag.
[Validity] Allows immigration

[option] "Imagine the extreme disrespect it must take to do this," bitterly comments your bodyguard, while pacing around the sidewalk. "We are being generous enough to allow these people into our country, and they can’t even show their support? Despicable. You should make it so that every flag flown must be accompanied by a larger @@DEMONYM@@ flag. This will show their true allegiance is still to our great @@TYPE@@."
[effect] anything your flag can do the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ one can do better

[option] One of the residents, whose house is flying a Bigtopian flag, steps outside and joins in. "Just because I have a different flag, it doesn't mean I don't love @@NAME@@. Bigtopia will always have a special place in my heart; it's where I was born and raised! Rather than cracking down on foreign flags, we need to celebrate them. In fact, you should be encouraging people to fly the flag of their homelands! It's diversity at it's finest!"
[effect] every national flag but the @@DEMONYM@@ one is publicly on display

[option] "This goes to show that @@NAME@@ is entering a period of moral decadence," sighs your Minister of Patriotism, who is covered with 'Made in @@NAME@@' clothing apparel.. "Back when I was a boy, every house on my road had two flags flying outside to show their love for the @@TYPE@@. It's obvious we need to get our citizens loving our great nation again: you must ban the flying of any foreign national flag, and mandate that every @@DEMONYM@@ flies our great flag."
[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are becoming repulsed by the sight of the @@DEMONYM@@ flag

[option] "I'm telling you, it's those darn immigrants," quips your paranoid Minister of the Homeland, who's twitching and itching @@HIS@@ hands furiously. "Without those folks, we'd be much better off. You must stop any new people from coming here and kick out the ones already in. We'd be pure at last."
[effect] there is a 'turn around sign' at every border

[Name] Patriotism Flagging
[Desc] While taking a stroll through one of @@CAPITAL@@'s most diverse neighborhoods one afternoon, you noticed that many houses have flags flying outside of them. However, many are national flags representing foreign countries, and not one house is flying the @@DEMONYM@@ flag.
[Validity] Allows immigration

[option] "Imagine allow people into this great nation, only to have them disrespect us like this!" fumes your bodyguard, while pacing around the sidewalk. "This is a matter that will make or break a country. Who knows what will happen next: foreign parades, unfamiliar foods, or even different sounding languages! We must make it so that only the @@DEMONYM@@ flag is allowed to be flown in public. Just think of what our next generation will look like if we don't."
[effect] no one can ever tell where a foreign sports team is from

[option] One of the residents, whose house is flying a Bigtopian flag, steps outside and joins in. "Just because I have a different flag, it doesn't mean I don't love @@NAME@@. Bigtopia will always have a special place in my heart; it's where I was born and raised! Rather than cracking down on foreign flags, we need to celebrate them. In fact, you should be encouraging people to fly the flag of their homelands! It's diversity at it's finest!"
[effect] every national flag but the @@DEMONYM@@ one is publicly on display

[option] "This goes to show that @@NAME@@ is entering a period of moral decadence," sighs your Minister of Patriotism, who is covered with 'Made in @@NAME@@' clothing apparel.. "Back when I was a boy, every house on my road had two flags flying outside to show their love for the @@TYPE@@. It's obvious we need to get our citizens loving our great nation again: you ought to make sure that every house has a @@DEMONYM@@ flag in front, and fine those who refuse to do so."
[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are becoming repulsed by the sight of the @@DEMONYM@@ flag

[option] "I'm telling you, it's those darn immigrants," quips your paranoid Minister of the Homeland, who's twitching and itching @@HIS@@ hands furiously. "Without those folks, we'd be much better off. You must stop any new people from coming here and kick out the ones already in. We'd be pure at last."
[effect] there is a 'turn around sign' at every border
Last edited by Sacara on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:27 am

Why can't you just make a law which says that anyone who flies a flag must fly the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ flag as a minimum, with any other flag, and be done with it. This is the law in Australia where anyone who flies a flag must fly, as an absolute minimum, an Australian flag, and any other flag, belonging to a state or foreign country can be a second or third flag, but if you don't want to fly a flag, you don't have to
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't you just make a law which says that anyone who flies a flag must fly the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ flag as a minimum, with any other flag, and be done with it. This is the law in Australia where anyone who flies a flag must fly, as an absolute minimum, an Australian flag, and any other flag, belonging to a state or foreign country can be a second or third flag, but if you don't want to fly a flag, you don't have to
Not every nation is like Australia, Aussie. :P In the United States, the American flag should the highest flag, if flown next to other flags. That's what the flag code says, however, it isn't enforceable: it's just a code for how people should behave.

I might consider amending option one and changing the ban on foreign flags to just having a @@DEMONYM@@ flag flown with it, and move the ban to option three.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Sacara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't you just make a law which says that anyone who flies a flag must fly the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ flag as a minimum, with any other flag, and be done with it. This is the law in Australia where anyone who flies a flag must fly, as an absolute minimum, an Australian flag, and any other flag, belonging to a state or foreign country can be a second or third flag, but if you don't want to fly a flag, you don't have to
Not every nation is like Australia, Aussie. :P In the United States, the American flag should the highest flag, if flown next to other flags. That's what the flag code says, however, it isn't enforceable: it's just a code for how people should behave.

When I was in Texas, I was told that the Texan flag is exempt from that rule, and as such, Texas' flag could fly as high as the federal flag. Either case, however, it's the same, you must fly the USA flag as a minimum. The exact details are irrelevant
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Is there a reason the minister of Patriotism has to be male?

About the title, maybe use 'flagging' in its meaning of becoming tired, weaker or less enthusiastic. 'Patriotism flagging'?
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Sacara wrote:I might consider amending option one and changing the ban on foreign flags to just having a @@DEMONYM@@ flag flown with it, and move the ban to option three.
Do that.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Updated to draft two.

I edited option one and option three, and changed the title. I really like this issue right now, and I would love to hear more feedback on the update.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:19 pm

I don't like bumping without making any changes, but, bump. :blush:
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:50 am

Not sure @@DEMONYM@@'s works as a macro.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Not sure @@DEMONYM@@'s works as a macro.
Not sure what I was thinking. :blink: Fixed.

Any comments on the actual draft?
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 am

@@NAME@@'s isn't great either, as plural nation names do exist. I know that usage exists in the current issues, but I'm gradually purging it.

The issue is pretty good otherwise.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:43 am

the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ one?

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The issue is pretty good otherwise.
Thanks.

Trotterdam wrote:the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ one?
Updated the effect line.
Commended by SC #382

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 am

Good issue. :)

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 am

Baggieland wrote:Good issue. :)
Thank you Baggie.

Putting this draft on last call and I'll leave it up for a few days to gain any last minute feedback.
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

Looks good to me!
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks!

Submitted.
Commended by SC #382

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 am

Best wishes!
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am

Good luck!
She/her.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am

Good Luck!

Happy crappers 2
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Happy crappers 2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't you just make a law which says that anyone who flies a flag must fly the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ flag as a minimum, with any other flag, and be done with it.
Well... looks like somebody had this idea before me. lol
Sacara wrote:Not every nation is like Australia, Aussie. :P In the United States, the American flag should the highest flag, if flown next to other flags. That's what the flag code says, however, it isn't enforceable: it's just a code for how people should behave.
Whats wrong with Australia!? (jk, I know what you meant) :lol:
But I don't see how it not being enforced means it shouldn't be an option. You both just showed two examples of that option IRL. So... :?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?