NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] - Who's Calling the Shots?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ON HOLD] - Who's Calling the Shots?

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I feel like I'm on a medical craze lately. :p
[Name] Who’s Calling the Shots?
[Desc] Fifteen year old @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has made national headlines after doing the ironic unthinkable: getting multiple vaccinations without consent from either of @@HIS(1)@@ parents, who are vehemently opposed to vaccinations. Having been hurt and dismayed, they are now denouncing the local hospital allowing 'a little @@BOY(1)@@' to get the vaccinations all on @@HIS(1)@@ own.
[Validity] no mandatory vaccinations

[option] "What have they done to my precious @@BOY(1)@@!" sobs the mother, the Fleet Commander of her local Helicopter Parents Club. "I’m sure I know best for @@HIS@@ future, after all, I gave birth to @@HIM(1)@@! Haven't you ever heard the phrase 'mother knows best'? Any procedure on a child, whether big or small, should have the signature of parent approving it. I can't even fathom what they'll start doing next, maybe even a tattoo on my baby!"
[effect] a surge of annoyed teenagers are acting out against their overprotective parents

[option]
"Are you, like, telling me I can't do what I want?" counters the teenager at the center of the situation, as @@HE(1)@@ is rolling @@HIS(1)@@ eyes at you. "Um, I pretty sure I should be allowed to get what I want. Just because my mom said so doesn't make it absolutely right, ya know? I should have a say in what happens to me, even if it means telling off my mom."
[effect] children are seen exercising their veto power when it comes to doctor visits

[validity] doesn’t have parental licensing
[option] Your Minister of Common Sense, stunned at what @@HE(2)@@ is hearing, chimes in. "Any person who believes in such idiotic beliefs proves themselves to be unfit to raise children. The only way that we can prevent this going forward is to screen prospective parents to make sure they have their wits intact. Make them pass a rigorous test before they are allowed to have children so way we can screen out undesirables, such as these so-called parents."
[effect] conspiracy theorists claim the government won't let them reproduce

[validity] has parental licensing
[option] Your Minister of Common Sense, stunned at what @@HE(2)@@ is hearing, chimes in. "Any person who believes in such idiotic beliefs proves themselves to be unfit to raise children. The only way that we can prevent this going forward is to screen prospective parents to make sure they have their wits intact. Add a question to our licensing test, and if they believe in any of these dumb theories, we must prohibit them from having children."
[effect] conspiracy theorists claim the government won't let them reproduce

[option] "Or, we could just solve the problem at its root," calmly says your Minister of Health, while fiddling with full syringe of what you assume is a vaccine. "I don't understand the question here; just force everyone to stay up-to-date with their vaccinations. Can you just imagine a @@NAME@@ without any diseases? Now, it won’t be exactly like that, but it sure will be close."
[effect] there’s a shot in every @@DEMONYM@@ arm
Last edited by Sacara on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 am

Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:31 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Issue 92
This draft's validity requirement is no mandatory vaccinations.
Last edited by Sacara on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:38 am

Sacara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Issue 92
This draft's validity requirement is no mandatory vaccinations.

That doesn't mean that there is no overlap. I understand that they're different issues, but unless you play around with it a bit, they'll still feel like they overlap
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:44 am

Australian rePublic wrote:That doesn't mean that there is no overlap. I understand that they're different issues, but unless you play around with it a bit, they'll still feel like they overlap
If you're referencing option four, then yes. However, there are many options in the game which do the same thing. This issue asks about whether a child can get a vaccine on their own, in the absence of any mandatory vaccination laws. I don't see enough overlap.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Agree there's no overlap.

Personally though, I think vaccination in general is well-covered already, even if this is a fresh angle. However, I know that NoQ is generally keen on any issue that ridicules anti-vaxxers, so don't be put off by my general ennui with the topic.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Personally though, I think vaccination in general is well-covered already, even if this is a fresh angle. However, I know that NoQ is generally keen on any issue that ridicules anti-vaxxers, so don't be put off by my general ennui with the topic.
I actually got the idea from reading a pot on Reddit in which an anti-vaxxer got mad at their children for doing such a thing. I thought it was funny enough for a draft. :P
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Cleaned this draft up quite a bit.

Feedback welcome.
Commended by SC #382

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:34 pm

I think Issue #413 is actually the closest comparable, since it deals specifically with parents demanding control over the vaccination of children. Option 1 in both is a match, and option 4 of this proposal matches option 2 of that one.

That said, it's a sufficiently hot-button issue that I don't think it's completely without merit, though it may be worth considering if there are other logical outcomes for those two options to avoid complete repeition. If it continues forward, there are two suggestions I have for it:

In the effect text for option 1, I might make it read that children are no longer "permitted" to tie their own shoes, rather than not "expected" to, since this is about removing the childrens' free will to do things themselves.

In the option text for option 2, I think there is a word or two missing. Where it says "...and we start respecting that children deserve a say..." I'm guessing it's meant to read as "...and we need to start respecting that children deserve a say..."

---edit---
Also worth noting, the name of issue 413 is the same play on words as the effect text of option 4 in this proposal
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 pm

I think it might be more interesting to include the child in question as one of the speakers (in addition to their mother). Maybe as a replacement for the child's advocate?
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:32 pm

@Verdant - Thanks for the response! Whilst drafting this, I actively looked at both #413 & 92 to ensure there wasn’t overlap. Option one in 413 days that parents have the right to vaccinate their children if they want to — not about that a child can’t. Also, about the mandatory vaccinations options in both options, I’d say that’s fine as many other large policies (or flags) have multiples options instating the same thing. I will look into changing effect lines.

@Hediacrana - When I update this draft later tonight, I will experiment with that. Also, nice to see you again!
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Sacara wrote:Also, nice to see you again!

Thanks! Was on the road for a while. :)
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
She/her.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Yes yes, I’m posting on someone else’s draft. Save the surprise.

Having been hurt and dismayed, they are now denouncing the local hospital allowing a little @@BOY@@ to get the vaccinations all on @@HIS(1)@@ own.

in the description would read better as

Hurt and dismayed, they are now denouncing the local hospital for allowing a “little @@BOY(1)@@” to get vaccinations on @@HIS(1)@@ own.

"I’m sure I know best for @@HIS@@ future, after all, I gave birth to @@HIM@@! It’s despicable what the hospital did, especially without my consent.

in Option 1 would read better if you attached something about “mother knows best” probably and cut out the consent part. I think this is more about the consent than the vaccination, at least, it probably should be. You need to segue from the penultimate sentence to the final sentence better as well.

The last sentence of Option 2 doesn’t make grammatical sense.

The early part of the issue seems a little bit dry. Could use some more humor overall, especially in the effect lines, imo.

Savor my commenting on your issue, it’s extremely rare these days, :p

Good luck on the issue.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Made some edits. Thanks everyone who commented.

Still looking for feedback.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Hediacrana wrote:I think it might be more interesting to include the child in question as one of the speakers (in addition to their mother). Maybe as a replacement for the child's advocate?
I feel like the "smart child defending themself" is becoming an cliche. I'm not sure that I should add such.

That being said, is option two boring in its current form?
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Sacara wrote:
Hediacrana wrote:I think it might be more interesting to include the child in question as one of the speakers (in addition to their mother). Maybe as a replacement for the child's advocate?
I feel like the "smart child defending themself" is becoming an cliche. I'm not sure that I should add such.

I get what you're saying; but you mentioned the child already is 15 years old, and in my experience as a former teacher, at that age, many teenagers (not just the particularly brilliant ones) are actually able and quite willing to defend their own stances. So to me, it would not be that much of a cliche. Though obviously, it's your choice. :) That said, I do not think that option 2 as it stands is boring.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Changed the speaker in option two. I would love to hear how believable it sounds.
Commended by SC #382

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:38 am

Fleet Commander of her local Helicopter Parents Club

Win.

The only thing I'm thinking about is the fact that there is no option for this if there is a parental license program. I'd imagine somebody getting very concerned about the stringency of the test if somehow anti-vaxers are getting through.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks Chan. Added a doppleganger option for those who have parental licensing.
Commended by SC #382

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Good title
I agree with most people so far in the forum as this mostly involves vaccination while incorporating consent.

To propose a suggestion maybe you could have the nation want to go and vaccinate other countries pandemics sort of like a doctor without borders approach. For instance: on the way out of your office your approach by a doctor in ragged clothes. "All this talk of vaccination has made me wonder if we cure @@REGION@@'s pandemics." says @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@. If you gave our organization some funds we could eriadicte diseases before they came to @@NAME@@.
Last edited by New Ladavia on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi regionmate! Thanks for the comment.

In regards to the way you suggested that I take it, I think that is fit for another issue. I think this one is solely focused on domestic issues, rather than foreign affairs. Although, that wouldn't make for a bad issue. :p
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 am

I like the fact that you're looking at the issue of medical autonomy with children, but I personally think vaccination is a bit played out.

My thought, from watching a BBC drama called Butterfly, would be that it'd be more interesting if this was about transgender. What if the parents say no, but the child says yes?

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:09 am

:blink:

Okay. Redraft pending.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 am

Just a suggestion of course, just thinking out loud. As I've said before, opinions will vary on whether vaccination needs more coverage.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?