NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1146] - Mother Knows Best

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1146] - Mother Knows Best

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 am

While trying to find inspiration for an idea, I went through the list of policies in the game currently. I noticed Parental Licensing doesn't have many issues, and now we're here. Feedback welcome.
[title] Mother Knows Best?
[desc] A recent report from the Bureau of Population Statistics has revealed that, during the past quarter, the number of parenting licenses given to prospective parents fell to an all-time low.
[validity] Parental Licensing

[option] Your secretary, who has failed the parenting test four times in a row, is eager to speak to you about this. "I mean, come on! How was I supposed to know how long it takes for a baby to get to the center of a lollipop? The test shouldn't be so impossibly hard that no one can pass it. And there are so many other restrictions and requirements that get in the way of people trying to be parents. I beg you to make it easier for a regular person to obtain a license. I promise I will raise my children well!"
[fallout] basic multiplication is all you need to know to have a child

[option] "Seems like we're running a country full of idiots, doesn't it?" complains the head bureaucrat of the government agency that awards parenting licenses. "The application process is doing its job if it keeps those who are unqualified from having children. If there is one child in the hands of a parent without their wits intact, then we have failed as a nation. Instead of making the process easier, we need to be even more selective. And we should monitor the progress of parents even after they get their licenses, just to make sure they're parenting up to standard. Only the best, brightest, and most qualified deserve to raise a family."
[fallout] first-time moms are expected to be experienced parents from day one

[option] "Licenses? We don't need no stinking licenses!" yowls your Minister of Productivity, writhing and jumping around you. "Less children -- bad! Less productivity -- bad! Bad for economy! We always need to be producing, always need to be doing! More children, more doing!" The minister's mouth froths as he mumbles on the floor, making bizarre thrusting motions.
[fallout] posters encourage people to "Just Do It!"
Last edited by Sacara on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:07 am

uhuhu! An issue for parental licensing! And one I very much like at that. :clap:

Option 3 has just a couple things I'd tweak:
1)
Tests? To have a kid? That seems a little excessive,
This seems like the guy's arguing against new legislation to make parental licensing a thing,
rather than a guy arguing against an existing policy. That's just how I take it, of course,
but I thought I'd point that out.

2)
More workers, more taxes
I believe "more taxpayers" is more appropriate here. :P

Overall really nice. The title is alliteration, so it's not all that impressive,
but I still like it. Just wanted to point that out, though, since I know editors like to say alliteration's a last resort. :lol:

Gl Sacara :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:14 am

Thanks Jutsa. I couldn't think of a different title, so I went with alliteration. I'm open to a new one, though.

I made option three stronger by tweaking and adding a few things as well.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:28 am

This issue makes me think very much of the Dilbert comic on the subject :-D

My main feedback is some word agreement:

In the issue description, "the amount of licenses" should be "the number of licenses"

Same with "amount of applications" => "number of applications."

In option 3, "With less people having kids, we have less workers" should be "With fewer people having kids, we have fewer workers."

In all cases, it's a matter of a countable thing (licenses, applications, kids, workers), so we need the quantity word that matches. "Amount of" and "less" both apply to non-countable things (an amount of water, or feeling less anger, for example).

I like this issue, and think the options are solid. Would option 3 lead to the lifting of the parental licensing policy?
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:47 am

I'd just like to point out that for such a prominent policy with so many potential issues,
the fact that only one reversal issue exists is genuinely shocking. :rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am

Verdant Haven wrote:I like this issue, and think the options are solid. Would option 3 lead to the lifting of the parental licensing policy?
Thanks. And yes, the option would lead to the lifting of the policy. Currently, there is only one issue in the game that reverses the policy.
Commended by SC #382

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am

So far so good Sacara! I think you do need an option though that aims to improve test scores instead of either making them easier, harder, or getting rid of them all together. Instead of focusing on the obstacle, why not focus on the person who needs to get past that obstacle instead?
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:04 pm

This looks too much like a "people don't like your previous decision, change it" issue.

An issue asking what kinds of skills should or shouldn't be tested for might be more interesting than one simply asking for easy versus hard tests. It's implied from the fact that you have a licensing system that you expect some people to fail (and some people to pass), so that in itself isn't a meaningful problem.

Palos Heights wrote:So far so good Sacara! I think you do need an option though that aims to improve test scores instead of either making them easier, harder, or getting rid of them all together. Instead of focusing on the obstacle, why not focus on the person who needs to get past that obstacle instead?
That's a worthwhile suggestion though. Like, parenting classes to help people pass their tests? (I assume that by "improve test scores" you don't mean "change the scale the test is graded on".)
Last edited by Trotterdam on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Trotterdam wrote:This looks too much like a "people don't like your previous decision, change it" issue.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here, Trotterdam. The premise is whether the test is too hard or not. From there, the options are make the test easier, make the test harder, or scrap it all altogether. I do plan on adding the option that Palos suggested, however.
Commended by SC #382

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Sacara wrote:The premise is whether the test is too hard or not.
Yeah, but it doesn't even say what's so hard about the test. It just says "the test is hard". Well, duh. It's a test. They're not meant to be cakewalks.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't even say what's so hard about the test. It just says "the test is hard". Well, duh. It's a test. They're not meant to be cakewalks.
You could've said this in the original comment. :p

I'll look into if any changes should be made.
Last edited by Sacara on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:57 am

There should be an option to force those who qualify to have more kids. That could have funny consequences. Anything from 11 kids per family to people marrying idiots to avoid having kids
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:46 am

In option 1, what was hard about the test? There's the possibility of some good humour here, thinking of a ridiculously difficult question about parenting.

I have an example here, unfortunately it's not about parenting, it's from the driving test in Thailand:

"If an elephant and a tank are both coming your way, which do you yield to?"

Something ridiculous like that.

If anyone is interested, the answer to the Thai driving test question is the tank. Don't ask me why.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:48 am

:clap:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:00 am

Baggieland wrote:I have an example here, unfortunately it's not about parenting, it's from the driving test in Thailand:

"If an elephant and a tank are both coming your way, which do you yield to?"
...The funny thing is that sounds like it could plausibly happen in Thailand.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:The funny thing is that sounds like it could plausibly happen in Thailand.

It does happen in Thailand. this is on the driving test. I know many an expat who has taken the test.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Good issue niche this, cleverly explored.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:The funny thing is that sounds like it could plausibly happen in Thailand.
It does happen in Thailand. this is on the driving test. I know many an expat who has taken the test.
To clarify: I meant that sharing the road with an elephant and a tank sounds like something that could happen in Thailand, not that it being asked about on a test is something that could happen (that's obvious).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Agreed.

I gotta say, now I'm in the mood to write a bunch of issues regarding parental licensing,
but at the same time I'm on writing burnout atm so I'll just stick the ideas in my factbook.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 pm

I changed option one a bit. Added a question in it.
Commended by SC #382

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 am

Sacara wrote:"I mean, come on! How was I supposed to know how long it takes for a baby to get to the center of a lollipop? The test shouldn’t be impossibly hard that no one can pass it. I beg you to make it easier for the common person to pass; I promise I will raise my children well!"
[effect] counting to five is the only requirement for having a child

Not bad, that's what I had in mind, something like that. However, I don't think the effect line matches the option any more.

BTW, I've been digging around the elephant / tank question, and most people think that you should yield to the tank as it's government property, but that's only speculation, no one knows for sure!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:35 am

I'd personally pick the tank because at least they have a slightly larger chance of stopping for you and going at a slower speed.
(I think this poor thread's gone pretty off-topic but my gosh this is fascinating)

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:58 am

Changed the effect line for option one. Any thoughts?
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm

I’m trying to think of a new name. So far, I’ve come up with “Failure Is an Option” or “Tough Luck Test Takers”. Anyone have any thoughts or new suggestions?
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 am

I thought of "It's Hard Having Children", but I get that that's not all that great either. :lol:

"Do You Yield Towards the Tank or the Elephant"... :rofl:
(that actually sounds like a great issue idea, just saying.)

"Childlike Simplicity"
"A Childish Problem"
"Destined to Be Without"
"Now No One's Having Kids"
"Are You Kidding Me?" ← I'm sorry for this suggestion.
"The Mother and Her Government-Approved Child"

Idk this one's a tricky one. :blush:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?