NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] (CO with Urran) Foreign Diplomats Going Bananas

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] (CO with Urran) Foreign Diplomats Going Bananas

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:05 pm

So the author of this draft has been busy with work,
but I very much liked the issue, and decided to ask if they'd be interested in a co-authorship. :)

Though Urran has said yes, I will publicly state that if Urran wishes to change anything, submit this, or back out of the co-authorship, I'm obliged to follow through. :D

NOTE: Before I see a comment about #912: Ambassadors Behaving Badly,
I'd like to point out that that involves your own diplomats misbehaving in other nations, not other nations' diplomats, with immunity, misbehaving in your nation.

Changes:
1) Made each option much shorter, but they're still a bit lengthier because I didn't want to completely annihilate Urran's work or anything. (plus there're only 3 options)
2) Changed what option 1 does a little bit.
3) Took into account other nations' grants for diplomatic immunity, and
4) completely changed option 3, since it was a bit too "sensible compromise" for my personal preference.

I hope you enjoy; I certainly have, so far. :)
Note: If anyone has a better title suggestion, feel free to suggest one. :lol:

Draft 1.01
Title: Foreign Diplomats Going Bananas
The Issue: Staff from the Bigtopian embassy recently celebrated their annual "Banana Slapping Festival", an important part of their cultural heritage, whereby Bigtopians slap people with bananas and discard them in the street. This has not only broken multiple laws regarding the proper disposal of waste, but has, rather comically, lead to a spike in bruised bottoms as pedestrians slip on the discarded rubbish. The problem? Diplomatic immunity makes it impossible to take any action against foreign diplomats.
Validity: (Co-authors: Urran, Jutsa) All

Option 1: "If it weren't for diplomatic immunity, I would have beaten those blasted, banana-munching scumbags with my baton!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Police Department. "We can't stand for this kind of behavior! I can't even give them a parking ticket! What's next? Getting away with murder? You should file a formal complaint to Bigtopia, and if they don't send us proper diplomats that show us some respect, then we'll arrest them regardless of 'immunity'. If Bigtopia doesn't like it, then tough; it'd be their own damn fault."
[effect] foreign diplomats can often be seen doing community service.

Option 2: "But the Banana Slapping Festival is an important part of our cultural heritage!" retorts one of the Bigtopian ambassadors, @@RANDOMNAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ heart in offense. "And I see nothing wrong with injecting a little bit of culture into @@NAME@@. Besides, you wouldn't want to make me late for a staff meeting, or tick off our benevolent leader, would you? If anything, you should allow everyone to partake in the Banana Slapping Festival. It's a bunch of fun, has a lot of appeal, and you can't slip up when it comes to tourism!"
[effect] fruit consumption is strongly correlated with both foreign power and broken backs

Option 3: "I can't believe the nerve of these barbaric Bigtopians," says overly patriotic xenophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, having thrown a banana peel at the face of the ambassador in sheer disgust. "Have they even considered what might happen if the person they trip flies into an elderly person? Cancel diplomatic relations with these bozos, along with anyone else who dares insult our great @@TYPE@@! We're too good to be associating with ignorant slobs like these."
[effect] allies have been lost due to smiling the wrong way

The Issue: Staff from the Bigtopian embassy recently celebrated their annual "Banana Slapping Festival", an important part of their cultural heritage, whereby Bigtopians slap people with bananas and discard them in the street. This has not only broken multiple laws regarding the proper disposal of waste, but has, rather comically, lead to a spike in bruised bottoms as pedestrians slip on the discarded rubbish. The problem? Diplomatic immunity makes it impossible to take any action against foreign diplomats.

Option 1: "If it weren't for diplomatic immunity, I would have beaten those blasted, banana-munching scumbags with my baton!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Police Department. "We can't stand for this kind of behavior! I can't even give them a parking ticket! What's next? Getting away with murder? You should file a formal complaint to Bigtopia, and if they don't send us proper diplomats that show us some respect, then we'll arrest them regardless of 'immunity'. If Bigtopia doesn't like it, then tough; it'd be their own damn fault."

Option 2: "But the Banana Slapping Festival is an important part of our cultural heritage!" retorts one of the Bigtopian ambassadors, @@RANDOMNAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ heart in offense. "And I see nothing wrong with injecting a little bit of culture into @@NAME@@. Besides, you wouldn't want to make me late for a staff meeting, or tick off our benevolent leader, would you? If anything, you should allow everyone to partake in the Banana Slapping Festival. It's a bunch of fun, has a lot of appeal, and you can't slip up when it comes to tourism!"
[effect] fruit consumption is strongly correlated with both foreign power and broken backs

Option 3: "I can't believe the nerve of these barbaric Bigtopians," says overly patriotic xenophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, having thrown a banana peel at the face of the ambassador in sheer disgust. "Cancel diplomatic relations with these bozos, along with anyone else who dares insult our great @@TYPE@@! We're too good to be associating with ignorant slobs like these."

Option 2: "But the Banana Slapping Festival is an important part of our cultural heritage!" retorts one of the Bigtopian ambassadors, @@RANDOMNAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ heart in offense. "And I see nothing wrong with injecting a little bit of culture into @@NAME@@. Besides, you wouldn't want to make me late for a staff meeting, or tick off our benevolent leader, would you? If anything, you should personally approve diplomatic immunity to us and whoever we deem fit. You could start with the the captain of the ship that brought in the bananas."

Option 3: "I can't believe the nerve of barbaric Bigtopians," says overly patriotic xenophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, having thrown a banana peel at the face of the ambassador in sheer disgust. "Cancel diplomatic relations with these bozos, along with anyone else who dares insult our great @@TYPE@@! We're too good to be associating with ignorant slobs like these."
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:50 pm

While diplomatic immunity prevents most types of punishment, it generally still permits expulsion, where the offending diplomat is no longer welcome in your nation but is otherwise unharmed. That'd probably be the first suggestion offered. (An appropiately exaggerated outcome would be diplomats needing to be replaced monthly because they're expelled every time they're caught jaywalking.)

Of course, it is rather important to the narrative here that the misbehavior is not specific to a particular diplomat acting as a loose cannon, but is a widespread and officially-sanctioned cultural tradition from that nation. If Bigtopia isn't willing to budge on that issue and just keeps sending new diplomats that uphold the same stupid traditions, then you don't have much choice except to break off diplomatic relationships entirely.

Traditionally, any more serious punishment on a diplomat would first require you to ask the diplomat's home nation for permission to revoke the diplomatic immunity (if the diplomat did something that's illegal in both nations, they may well agree), but of course the other nation can always choose not to agree, putting you back at square one. This option could easily be brushed away by mentioning in the description that you already lodged a formal diplomatic complaint and were ignored.

Also, don't forget to mark this as co-authored.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 pm

I'll take a closer look at the comments tomorrow or the day after (busy tomorrow), but I simply had to add the co-authorship in the validity...
whoops. :blush:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't think that this looks at the consequences enough. I know someone who's allergic to bananas, and he gets rashes everytime he has contact with them. Also, my grandma is heavily disabled, and just has the ability to walk. If she slips on a banana peal, that's a trip to the hospital, if she's lucky
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Finally bumping this one...

haven't really worked on it though. I've tried to wrap my head around it and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed, if anyone has any suggestions.

@Aussie: Good point. I don't think the ambassador would purposefully do that, buut that's still a good point.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Of course, it is rather important to the narrative here that the misbehavior is not specific to a particular diplomat acting as a loose cannon, but is a widespread and officially-sanctioned cultural tradition from that nation. If Bigtopia isn't willing to budge on that issue and just keeps sending new diplomats that uphold the same stupid traditions, then you don't have much choice except to break off diplomatic relationships entirely.
I suppose that the bolded part is the entire issue, no? Seems like a player autonomy issue if "you don't have much choice except...", right? I like the issue where it currently is at: whether foreign 'odd' customs that are frowned upon should be allowed around embassies. It's amusing.

I wouldn't change much, Jutsa.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:15 am

Well, thank you, Sacara... :)

Uh... I know I've had this one up for a decent chunk of time, but I also know I haven't gotten much feedback for it...
I'm kinda thinking about having this submitted in a week, but I don't wanna rush into it if it's not gotten a lot of looks.
At the same time, I don't really wanna leave it up too long if it's just that it doesn't need much work. >.>

So yeah, one more week, I guess, unless major changes are made. :blush:

Edit: Also, I will change "and whoever we deem fit" since that's... a little bit of a potential dealbreaker,
so I'll change option 2 to actually encourage the banana slapping festival be allowed in your nation. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Jutsa wrote:
@Aussie: Good point. I don't think the ambassador would purposefully do that, buut that's still a good point.

No, he/she wouldn't. But you should still raise it as a concern
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Agreed. Putting that in option 3; could stand to use a tiny bit more flesh. :>

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?