NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Riding Between the Lines

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] Riding Between the Lines

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 am

Maybe it's because I'll be learning to drive soon, but I've gotten interested in traffic laws,
and one thing that's always bugged me is this: why do those dotted street lines even exist?
(especially when half of them I see are on bends where the inner corner may pass but the outer corner can't, it's like what)

I'd like to note that I actually made a draft way early this year, and then made this new one a couple months ago or so. :P

Draft 1.00
Title: Riding Between the Lines
The Issue: A spate of car accidents has risen due to a combination of bad placement and bad management of lines indicaticating a vehicle may pass another vehicle ahead of it.
Validity: Must have cars; Must not be dominanted by self-driving cars

Option 1: "We need better management of road lines," suggests @@RANDOMNAM@@, showing you a picture of a road bend with a single guy tripping over a can of yellow paint and spilling it all over. "Roads are important for our society, and making them safe is even more important. Put more funding into painting roads, better line-placing, and making bends have easier visibility."
[effect] more money is put into maintaining the precise shape of a road symbol than the road itself

Option 2: "How come we have these Violet-forsaken' passing lines, anyway?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who frequently speeds ahead of people trying to pass @@HIM@@ just to spite them. "They're a danger and an abomination of driving standards. Just paint a solid line down the middle and forbid people from passing any moving vehicles."
[effect] new drivers cause mile-long traffic jams in rural communities

Option 3: "Hey, woah, hey, that's a restriction on our freedoms!" protests @@RANDOMNAME@@, manager of a car dealership. "Just don't bother using our tax money painting road lines. Let people drive however they want, and if they crash, welp, that's their own damn fault."
[effect] "follow the leader!" is almost as popular as "watch out for that pedestrian!"

Option 4: "We wouldn't have this problem if every road had two lanes per direction!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't remember inviting to the meeting. "There'll be no need to go over on the other side if you have a fast lane and a slow lane. It'll be costly, and terrible for the environment, but we'll make it work!"
[effect] road lanes have been significantly shrunk to fit between the buildings now flush with the road
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm

The wording needs to be clearer. Did this guy have a head on collision by driving onto the wrong side of the road in order to overtake?

Sometimes, that's a problem if the person in front constantly changes speed

Option 4- Two lanes per direction.

Also, what about break downs?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:21 pm

@this guy: Well it's supposed to be in general, but I gotta admit that this is a cliche and I have no idea how else to frame this issue.
Again, I'm great with abstract ideas... not always so good at presenting a story for them, though. My other car one's better in that regard, at least. >_>
But yeah, people constantly changing speed sucks, 'specially when they pick up. Might put that as something option 1 can consider cracking down on.

@Option 4: Thanks. :rofl:

@breakdowns: people'd pass regardless of a dotted line. Plus I specifically put "moving automobiles" in option 2. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Jutsa wrote:@this guy:

:rofl:
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 am

Bump~

ed: and any way to make the core premise more unique is welcome. :P
ed2: Changed option 1 just slightly (baking→making, viewability→visibility, cut "and we'll be good to go".)
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am

Jutsa, the dotted lines on the streets exist to indicate that you can utilize the other side of the street to pass traffic, provided that you are in a situation where doing so will not cause or lead to risk of danger. You can pass at certain places on one side of the road and not on the other because the side that can pass likely has a superior field of vision so that in attempting to pass someone they would clearly be able to see that no one is coming from the other side of the road.

This doesn't really come across as something that should be looked at by the leader of a nation, it's really minor in terms of scope.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 am

likely has a superior field of vision
However the heck the inner part of a bend is safer and has better vision is beyond me (I see those more often than outer bend around here). :P

Yeah, for sure this is a bit of a sillier issue, but I still find it odd anyone'd wanna risk going over the line at all.
Though, if anyone else agrees this is trivial, I can just discard this 'un.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 am

I don't know where you live so I can't comment on the specifics, but I guarantee that it's not something arbitrary. There is a reason why they appear at certain spots. Again, i's really something trivial that shouldn't be on a leader's desk.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Myeh, just a place full of rocks trees.

I suppose I'll go ahead and discard this one, then. I couldn't really think of a unique way of presenting it anyway. :unsure:

Hopefully my other road-based one'll have a little bit more merit. ,_,

ed: Though I'd like to point out that most nations actually have government-run roads, and not all nations have devolution. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?