NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1123] - Till Death Do Us Part

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1123] - Till Death Do Us Part

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Reversed version three back to version two, due to its unpopularity.

[Name] Till Death Do Us Part
[Desc] @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ tragically passed away yesterday due to heart complications during a baby making session with his wife. A day later, she requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband's deceased body, thrusting the incident into the national spotlight.
[Validity] allows sex, allows marriage, decent scientific advancement, adult

[option] "All I want to do is have a child!" somewhat convincingly sobs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the wife at the center of controversy. "And we were so close to doing so, before he decided to croak in the heat of things. I've been planning this since our wedding, and I'm sure this is what he would’ve wanted. Quickly, alert the hospital and tell them it’s a go!"
[effect] disturbing the dead is justified to continue the family tree

[option] "Absolutely, one-hundred percent, no!" exclaims your Minister of Tradition, who looks surprisingly young for @@HIS@@ role. "Where have our nation's morals gone if we allow this blatant disrespect of dead bodies? Any procedure after death is not acceptable without prior consent. You must mandate that hospitals reject this and every other case like this, for the sake of decency."
[effect] autopsies have become much more difficult to perform

[option] "If only the deceased had been made to donate prior to his death, we would not have to deal with this problem now," rebuts your radical Minister of Forward-Thinking, while looking at a diagram of the male body. "We should force young males across the nation to contribute to our department. Maybe we could make a few @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ off of this, too, if we sell them to the highest bidders."
[effect] unathletic men have found a satisfying way to help their country
[Desc] @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a well-known magician, tragically passed away yesterday after failing to swallow his sword properly. A day later, his wife requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband's deceased body, thrusting the incident into the national spotlight.

[option] "All I want to do is have a child!" somewhat convincingly sobs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the wife at the center of controversy. "A child with my last name is all I've wished for. I've been planning this since our wedding, and I'm sure this is what he would’ve wanted. Quickly, alert the hospital and tell them it’s a go!"

[option]
"Absolutely, one-hundred percent, no!" exclaims your Minister of Tradition, who looks surprisingly young for @@HIS@@ role. "Where have our nation's morals gone if we allow this blatant disrespect of dead bodies? Any procedure after death is not acceptable without prior consent. You must mandate that hospitals reject this and every other case like it, for the sake of decency."

[option] "If only the deceased had been made to donate prior to his death, we would not have to deal with this problem now," rebuts your radical Minister of Forward-Thinking, while looking at a diagram of the male body. "We should force young males across the nation to contribute to our department. Maybe we could make a few @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ off of this, too, if we sell them to the highest bidders."
[Desc] @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ tragically passed away yesterday due to heart complications during a baby making session with his wife. A day later, she requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband's deceased body, thrusting the incident into the national spotlight.

[option] "All I want to do is have a child!" somewhat convincingly sobs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the wife at the center of controversy. "And we were so close to doing so, before he decided to croak in the heat of things. I've been planning this since our wedding, and I'm sure this is what he would’ve wanted. Quickly, alert the hospital and tell them it’s a go!"

[option] "Absolutely, one-hundred percent, no!" exclaims your Minister of Tradition, who looks surprisingly young for @@HIS@@ role. "Where have our nation's morals gone if we allow this blatant disrespect of dead bodies? Any procedure after death is not acceptable without prior consent. You must mandate that hospitals reject this and every other case like this, for the sake of decency."

[Desc] @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ tragically passed away yesterday due to heart complications during an apparent baby making session with his wife. A day later, she has now thrust his name into the national spotlight after she requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband's deceased body.

[option] "All I want to do is have the perfect child!" somewhat convincingly sobs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the wife at the center of controversy. "And I was so close to doing so, before he decided to croak in the heat of things. I've been planning this since our wedding, and I'm sure this is what he would've wanted. Quickly, alert the hospital and tell them it's a go!"

[option] "Look, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea," explains the head surgeon at her local hospital, who is obviously distressed from the position he has been put in. "It's just that this case is very hard for me to choose a side on. The dead man gave no consent for this procedure to be done. Maybe asking that all men include what they wish to do with their, uh, gametes would be a good place to start."
[effect] the average male @@DEMONYM@@ will continues to grow

[option] "Absolutely, one-hundred percent, no!" exclaims your Minister of Tradition, who looks surprisingly young for @@HIS@@ role. "Where have our nation’s morals gone if we allow this blatant disrespect of dead people's bodies? You must mandate that hospitals reject this in every instance, for the sake of decency."

[option]
"On the contrary, don't you think it is selfish for men not to donate?" rebuts your radical Minister of Forward-Thinking, while looking at a diagram of the male body. "Cryobanks are at a shortage of donations currently. We should force young men across the nation to contribute to our department, if we are to keep @@NAME@@ healthy and strong."
[effect] young men across the nation are satisfied about helping their nation
  • Changed all quotation marks from 'smart' to 'straight'
  • Version two released: removed option two, edited option three slightly, and changed the premise behind option three
  • Fixed a few grammatical errors
  • Apparently all quotes weren't straight and changed description
  • Version three released: changed the cause of death
  • Version two implemented again
Last edited by Sacara on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:59 am, edited 22 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Very good. Premise I'm 100% with. :clap:

I think the options could probably use a little bit more eye-watering humor, but I do like the stuff that's already there.

@Option 1: Can I just point out how she seems to pretty much not care about her died-just-yesterday husband? :P

@Option 3: First it mentions her not having his consent, but then it mentions that it's immoral and shouldn't be done at all.
@Option 2: Good idea, but that doesn't really help this particular instance.

I propose moving the "not having consent" part to option 2, to address this particular case, meanwhile option 3's strictly about moral decency.

@Option 4: You use "across the nation" twice. Might I suggest removing* the first of the two? :P

Final note: You've used “smart quotes” instead of "dumb quotes". :3

Gl, Sacara. :D
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Jutsa wrote:Very good. Premise I'm 100% with. :clap:
Thanks!
Jutsa wrote:I think the options could probably use a little bit more eye-watering humor, but I do like the stuff that's already there.
That's always the case.
Jutsa wrote:@Option 1: Can I just point out how she seems to pretty much not care about her died-just-yesterday husband? :P
Currently, I don't see that as a problem. However, I'm willing to change if need be.
Jutsa wrote:@Option 2: Good idea, but that doesn't really help this particular instance.
I added another sentence in.
Jutsa wrote:@Option 3: First it mentions her not having his consent, but then it mentions that it's immoral and shouldn't be done at all.
Changed.
Jutsa wrote:@Option 4: You use "across the nation" twice. Might I suggest removing* the first of the two? :P
Changed.
Jutsa wrote:Gl, Sacara. :D
Thanks!
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Sacara wrote:
Jutsa wrote:@Option 1: Can I just point out how she seems to pretty much not care about her died-just-yesterday husband? :P
Currently, I don't see that as a problem. However, I'm willing to change if need be.

I think it's currently in this awkward place where she's being callous, but it's not clear if that's intentional. Either make her sound more sincerely upset, or go the other way and make her openly over-the-top heartless and selfish.

The dialogue is actually OK, but maybe have something about her behavior that reinforces the idea that her grief is insincere.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think it's currently in this awkward place where she's being callous, but it's not clear if that's intentional. Either make her sound more sincerely upset, or go the other way and make her openly over-the-top heartless and selfish.

The dialogue is actually OK, but maybe have something about her behavior that reinforces the idea that her grief is insincere.
Ah. When I originally wrote it, I thought it was clear. I added an extra point in to hopefully clarify.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:12 am

Love the premise.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Love the premise.
I had a feeling that you might. :p

Any comments on the execution/suggestions?
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah, straighten those curvy quote marks, they cause us SO much hassle backstage.

Option 1 perhaps needs to be more explicit about how his consent is implied by the fact he engaged in unprotected sex.

Option 2 is too wishy-washy and could be cut with no narrative harm.

Option 3 doesn't say enough to justify the effect line. It should perhaps say that harvesting any organ or biological material from a deceased person without their explicit consent is an infringement of their bodily autonomy.

Above comments should be in the character's existing voices, of course, rather than word for word insertions of above ideas.

Option 4 is a bad fit for the issue, in my opinion, and I think we could do better in "third way" ideas.

Brainstorming ideas:
- Make sperm-harvesting mandatory, but make the semen government property. The government could then raise revenue by selling sperm to any willing to pay a license fee. A woman who wants to father the child of their favourite deceased celebrity could now do so, as long as they're willing to pay.
- Clone the dad, and when he is grown up, he can decide for himself whether he still wants to have a baby with the mum. Oh, she'll be too old by then? Well, clone her too then!
- She can have the sperm so long as she receives it naturally. Taxidermy + animatronics = just like the real thing!

Okay, scratch that last one. A bit TOO much for NS, eh? :lol:
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Following CWA's suggestions, I've made the following changes:
  • Changed all quotation marks from 'smart' to 'straight'
  • Removed option two
  • Changed option three up quite a bit
  • I left the description and option one as-is

Originally, the description was the following:
[Desc] @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ tragically passed away yesterday due to heart complications after he found his wife ready to have a baby with an overabundance of leather. His wife has now thrust his name into the national spotlight after she requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband’s deceased body.
I changed it to what it was now because the reference might've been a little too far out there. :p

Feedback still welcomed.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:32 am

Sacara wrote:Changed all quotation marks from 'smart' to 'straight'

Hmm... They all look curvy still to me.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:45 am

Ah, oof, Sacara, you straightened the quotes in the old version. >_>
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hmm... They all look curvy still to me.
Jutsa wrote:Ah, oof, Sacara, you straightened the quotes in the old version. >_>
This^. What a waste of time on my part. :rofl:

Anywho, I fixed a few grammatical errors I spotted while running a comb through of the entire draft. Still looking for feedback!
Commended by SC #382

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 am

This is an awesome idea and wish it well. :)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:28 am

Chan Island wrote:This is an awesome idea and wish it well. :)
Thanks, Chan!

Don't be afraid to rip into this draft -- I want it to be of the highest quality possible before I submit it. :D

EDIT: I rephrased the description to make it less clunky, with the help of Jutsa.
Last edited by Sacara on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am

Problem is, why store/donate sperm if you don't want anyone yl use it?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Problem is, why store/donate sperm if you don't want anyone yl use it?
I'm not quite following your train of thought, Aussie. If you are referring to the third option, the speaker does not advocate for the stance that is should be banned. Rather, they are in full support of it and they want every male to donate.
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am

Hilarious premise, great execution.

The one bit where I see room for improvement is in the third option, because to me that one feels a bit disconnected from the original premise. Your issue is basically asking: should post-mortem sperm harvesting be allowed? The third option does not take a position on that. Instead, it talks about making sperm harvesting mandatory for living young men, for the sake of future general health.

Maybe instead you could present mandatory sperm harvesting as a preventative measure: "If only the deceased had been made to donate prior to his death, we would not have to deal with this problem now."
Last edited by Hediacrana on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 am

Hediacrana wrote:Maybe instead you could present mandatory sperm harvesting as a preventative measure: "If only the deceased had been made to donate prior to his death, we would not have to deal with this problem now."
Great feedback, Hediacrana. I edited it accordingly. I think this issue flows together quite nicely, now. It's coming along quite nicely. :p

Still looking for feedback.
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:38 am

Sacara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Problem is, why store/donate sperm if you don't want anyone yl use it?
I'm not quite following your train of thought, Aussie. If you are referring to the third option, the speaker does not advocate for the stance that is should be banned. Rather, they are in full support of it and they want every male to donate.

I don't see what the issue is. Donating sperm=concent to use it. Isn't it common sense that a sperm donor would expect his sperm to be used to consieve a baby?
It's like donating blood, but not giving concent for the blood bank to use said blood.
It's like donating money to charity, but not allowing the benefactor to use l said money (or commodities purchased with it)
Obviously the man wanted his sperm to be used to consieve a baby, otherwise he wouldn't have donated it. The act of donating sperm= giving concent for it to be used, and I don't see why death would erase that
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 am

Sacara wrote:
I'm not quite following your train of thought, Aussie.

He thinks that the man donated sperm before he died.

Regarding our previous discussion, have you decided on another way for the man to die?
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am

Aussie, the man didn't donate sperm. He died during sexual intercourse, and the partner wants to harvest post-mortem sperm from his dead testicles. Generally you've got a 24-36 hour window to do this before sperm become non-viable, so the timescales are probably a bit unrealistic to get a decision from anyone but a doctor on site: a court would take too long, let alone an opinion from a nation's ruler.

However, I think we'd be happy to suspend disbelief and handwave that detail rather than clutter the issue with explanations that the sperm has been harvested and is awaiting legal consent for its use.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aussie, the man didn't donate sperm. He died during sexual intercourse, and the partner wants to harvest post-mortem sperm from his dead testicles. Generally you've got a 24-36 hour window to do this before sperm become non-viable, so the timescales are probably a bit unrealistic to get a decision from anyone but a doctor on site: a court would take too long, let alone an opinion from a nation's ruler.

However, I think we'd be happy to suspend disbelief and handwave that detail rather than clutter the issue with explanations that the sperm has been harvested and is awaiting legal consent for its use.

Of course, you could also explain it away by having her charge at @@LEADER@@ and break into their office to inform them of this situation before the body is cold.

But best to just leave it nebulous. :p
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aussie, the man didn't donate sperm. He died during sexual intercourse, and the partner wants to harvest post-mortem sperm from his dead testicles.

Oh. Okay, now that makes sense. Sac should probably explain this better

Generally you've got a 24-36 hour window to do this before sperm become non-viable, so the timescales are probably a bit unrealistic to get a decision from anyone but a doctor on site: a court would take too long, let alone an opinion from a nation's ruler.

The woman won't artificially inciminate herself. She could have put the sperm in the freezer, took it to the IVF clinic, told the IVF clinic her story and have them freeze until s decision is made on the ethics of such. Alternatively, we could have forced abortion and/or "for future reference"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Regarding our previous discussion, have you decided on another way for the man to die?
Yes, I changed the way the man died. Check it out :P
Commended by SC #382

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 am

Sacara wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Regarding our previous discussion, have you decided on another way for the man to die?
Yes, I changed the way the man died. Check it out :P

I approve of the death.

You now have to amend the opening and the first option:
Sacara wrote:@@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a well-known magician, tragically passed away yesterday after failing to swallow his sword properly. A day later, she requested her local hospital to harvest the sperm from her former husband's deceased body, thrusting the incident into the national spotlight.

Who is she?
Sacara wrote:And we were so close to doing so, before he decided to croak in the heat of things.

The man no longer dies during sex.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?