NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Basic Income Incoming?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Picuros
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Basic Income Incoming?

Postby Picuros » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 am

Title:
Basic income incoming?

Validity: Not available for nations without a welfare budget

[Description] Following @@NAME@@'s top economic analysts' prediction of the collapse of the nation's welfare system as we know it, there's been talk about a complete overhaul to avert the impending crisis - including the introduction of a universal basic income.

Options:
[Option] "Too right! We need a guaranteed income for everyone, and we need it quick!" Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, accompanied by his trophy wife and two children as he hops out of his SUV. "I believe it goes without saying that we should axe the current system to achieve this. If I'm going to be taxed like I am right now, I'd at least like *something* in return! Of course a basic income would apply to the unemployed as well, but being part of the upper middle class isn't easy, you know!" His wife and children nod in agreement.
[Effect] Starvation is plummeting while the rich enjoy their extra holiday a year.

[Option] In storms @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s largest labor union, with a significant portion of the @@CAPITAL@@'s industrial workforce behind @@HIM@@. "Of course that's what *he* would say! The current welfare system is in place to help the less fortunate and it should keep on doing exactly that. Granting bourgeois pigs like mr. Money Bags over here a basic income is the easiest way to make the rich richer! Whatever happened to 'from each according to his ability, to each according to--'" @@HE@@'s cut off by the sound of @@HIS@@ eight squirming toddlers. "Anyway, our *need* is more money for welfare."
[Effect] Life expectancy is higher for the homeless than for retail workers.

[Option] "Please, everyone, hold your horses!" Pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@ amidst the escalating tensions. "The taxes. You haven't thought about the taxes, you parasites! The current welfare system has shown to be too large of a burden to be sustainable and a universal basic income is doomed to suffer the same fate. Besides, how is keeping people above the poverty line unconditionally going to tackle unemployment in any way? I say we just scrap it all and send the people a clear message -- an unemployed @@DEMONYM@@ is an unhappy @@DEMONYM@@."
[Effect] Inhabitants of @@NAME@@'s many concrete jungles don't see a penny from the emerging urban safari industry.

[Option] "By @@LEADER@@’s @@ANIMAL@@, I can't believe what I'm hearing!" Screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, the projected valedictorian of @@CAPITAL@@ University's graduating class this year. "I haven't even finished college yet and this is what you want to do to my future? The only reasonable option is a strong welfare system alongside universal basic income, no dilemma needed. Forget about the taxation, there's simply no alternative that ensures the well-being of every social class in @@NATIONNAME@@. I will not have me and my fellow students' fates decided by budget cuts!" @@HE@@ belts, before graduate caps get thrown all around.
[Effect] @@NAME@@ is thoroughly enjoying its high life standards before the taxpayer gets fed up.

Option 1 and 4 introduce policy: universal basic income?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:27 am

Wait what about viewtopic.php?f=13&t=450047 ?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Picuros
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picuros » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

Aclion wrote:Wait what about viewtopic.php?f=13&t=450047 ?

I'm really sorry I didn't realize you were supposed to limit your proposals to one post. Do you just bump your own post if you want to give it more attention or try to submit if you think it's as good as it's gonna get? Thanks in advance (mods lock this post if you want haha I'm a bad bad user)

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Picuros wrote:
Aclion wrote:Wait what about viewtopic.php?f=13&t=450047 ?

I'm really sorry I didn't realize you were supposed to limit your proposals to one post. Do you just bump your own post if you want to give it more attention or try to submit if you think it's as good as it's gonna get? Thanks in advance (mods lock this post if you want haha I'm a bad bad user)

For future reference, edit new draft versions into your original post, and spoiler older ones.

And yes, bump posts as necessary every 24 hours, or if your draft falls to the second page.
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Candensia wrote:And yes, bump posts as necessary every 24 hours

Or don't. If your premise isn't good enough to attract comments, maybe it's not good enough, period. Look at existing feedback. If it's overwhelmingly negative or 'meh', try something else.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 pm

If you have a new draft, you can edit it into the OP, then post saying "new draft" or something. Don't go bumping every day, but it's OK to bump to let people know that there is a new draft.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Return to Got Issues?