NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] One in the arm for @@LEADER@@?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Turbeaux
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 23, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] One in the arm for @@LEADER@@?

Postby Turbeaux » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 pm

This is a second draft and I have included an issue editor's comments on the initial draft.

This morning, you caught onto the fact that the @@NAME@@ Broadcasting Company was set to air a documentary today on the criminalization of needle exchanges, which would allow a safe injection site for addicts to inject and even abuse recreational drugs, in @@NAME@@. You are now far from unpressured in making a choice on the future of this policy...

Okay, I like what Tinhampton has done in places with this but I really feel like it'd make more narrative sense for the issue to be about possibly bringing in controlled needle exchanges and shooting galleries, not making the assumption that they exist and someone plans to criminalize them. Could you re-word and potentially redraft parts of this so that's clearer?

"My gorgeous little @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@ would have been saved had @@LEADER@@ let her inject safely in a public place!" wails @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who lost his daughter to an intravenous heroin overdose last month. "She is not alone - thousands of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ die preventable deaths every year as a result of this unfair policy. Not only should we legalise these safe spaces, but also mandate state counseling and rehab for anybody that looks like he might be a drug addict - think to yourself, why have one death when you can have none?"

Again, this option would need a little tweaking in light of the fact this issue really should be about bringing shooting galleries and needle exchanges in. If you can think of a better effect line as well, that'd be great but don't sweat it.

@choice: "I'll just go out on an ominously scarred limb and say that this is a load of nonsense," drily notes retired sheriff @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, speaking for the first time since reportedly dying of an intravenous caffeine overdose five years ago. "Intervention this, inter-venal that, yet nobody seems to realise that keeping our mitts off their drugs is the best way forward for us - just look at the United Federation's death rates! Besides, I should pretty darn sure you can trust our counties to keep their laws on this matter fair, reasonable, and accessible to the average person on the street."

Okay, not bad although I'm not getting the caffeine reference really myself. It strikes me as a bit daft even by NS standards - nobody shoots caffeine. If you want to underline hypocrisy I would suggest alcoholism - which would also fit the cliche of a grizzled cop. And again, this option needs to be tweaked - this time of course firmly against bringing in shooting galleries and needle exchanges.

"We can't have any of this taking over!" yells @@random_name()@@, who prides @@HIM@@self on having avoided all drugs since the age of ten. "You know that legalizing disease central isn't sensible when you have people like my old school friend @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ dying of VODAIS after sharing needles with some whacko @@HE@@'s never met before! The only sane thing to do here is surely to place a ban on all drugs and do the same for leaving our country to obtain this damnable 'treatment' whilst you're at it. After all---" The TV aerial then collapses onto the lawn.

This option needs the most tidying up I'd say. Firstly, what's going on with the TV aerial? It doesn't seem to make any narrative sense here really apart from TV being mentioned in passing in the opening. I'd also need to see something separating this from option 2's "No needle exchanges" option. Perhaps prohabition on alcohol and make it clear that all drugs will be criminalized including stuff like booze and tobacco.

It's an interesting premise here Turbeaux, which is why I'm personally willing to give it a go and see if I can make it work but in future I'd really strongly suggest leaving something like this on the forum for longer. As it stands it's not really ready yet. Drafting issues is a marathon after all, not a sprint!

Return to Got Issues?