NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Breaking News Flash!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Breaking News Flash!

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 am

Here's my attempt at a reversal to terrorism. Idk if it's any good, but I wanted an angle that wasn't "This was a bad decision, do you want to reverse it". :P
Idk if I succeeded in that, but at least you guys can let me know if I did or not. :blush:

Draft 1.01
Title: Breaking News Flash!
The Issue: Upon legalizing terrorism, the amount of important buildings being destroyed and lives lost has been staggering, leading to an increasingly inefficient and expensive government.
Validity: Followup to 222.6; Adult

Option 1: "Freedom comes at a price," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, watching a building collapse from outside a window. "A fair solution is to raise taxes every time a building goes down or minister is shot. This will discourage anarchists from rioting, pay for new infrastructure, and, above all else, still leave the option of terrorism viable. That's a win-win solution if I ever heard one!"
[effect] Blackacre spies break windows to inundate citizens with crippling taxes

Option 2: "Freedom can be free if you do it right," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Freedom, polishing a pipe bomb. "All you need to do is help them out by slashing the government in half! We could then save a lot on police taxes if you legalized weapons like guns, tanks, attack helicopters, nukes... ok, maybe not nukes. Of course, a tiny government is prone to corruption, but hey, at least terrorism will be less of a problem. Now that is a win-win solution."
[effect] parliament lives in an ever-weakening bomb shelter
[Flag Change] Guns are legal*; Tanks are legal*; Planes are legal*

Option 3: "Freedom clearly has gotten out of hand," says @@RANDOMAME@@, setting the minister on fire. "See that? You're not even going to punish me? You should be fighting this! Get police to patrol all the government buildings, crack down on weapons, and arrest everyone suspected of terrorism. The only win-win solution here is the one where you put your nation back together." Your office begins to burn around you.
[effect] tax money is used by policemen to buy bombs off the black market

Title: Breaking News Flash
The Issue: Upon legalizing terrorism, the amount of important buildings being destroyed and lives lost has been staggering, leading to an increasingly inefficient and expensive government.
Validity: Followup to 222.6; Adult

Option 1: "Freedom comes at a price," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, watching a building collapse from outside a window. "A fair solution is to raise taxes every time a building goes down or minister is shot. This will discourage anarchists from rioting, pay for new infrastructure, and, above all else, still leave the option of terrorism viable. That's a win-win solution if I ever heard one!"
[effect] Blackacre spies break windows to inundate citizens with crippling taxes

Option 2: "Freedom can be free if you do it right," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Freedom, polishing a pipe bomb. "All you need to do is help them out by slashing the government in half! We could then save a lot on police taxes if you legalized all non-WMD weapons, like guns, tanks, and attack helicopters. Of course, a tiny government is prone to corruption, but hey, at least terrorism will be less of a problem. Now that is a win-win solution."
[effect] parliament lives in an ever-weakening bomb shelter
[Flag Change] Guns are legal*; Tanks are legal*; Planes are legal*

Option 3: "Freedom clearly has gotten out of hand," says @@RANDOMAME@@, setting the minister on fire. "See that? You're not even going to punish me? You should be fighting this! Get police to patrol all the government buildings, crack down on weapons, and arrest everyone suspected of terrorism. The only win-win solution here is the one where you put your nation back together." Your office begins to burn around you.
[effect] tax money is used by policemen to buy bombs off the black market

Note: *s indicate that the flag change'd only apply if they were previously illegal. :P
Option 2 might be a little radical, but honestly idk if it's much more radical than legalizing terrorism.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:26 am

Oh, also, I have no idea if this should be adult or not. I'm kinda thinking not, but I stuck it in just to be safe...
idk, what do you think?
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am

Jutsa wrote:[box]Title: Breaking News Flash

You don't say! XD

This is kind of funny because it's just so stating the obvious about why legalizing terrorism is a bad idea.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am

Jutsa wrote:"We could then save a lot on police taxes if you legalized all non-WMD weapons, like guns, tanks, and attack helicopters."
Hey, why not legalize WMDs too?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am

I thought about leaving non-WMD out...
but then I thought "y'know, that'd probably just break nationstates".

Otherwise I legitimately would.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:32 am

Even if WMDs are legal, they're unlikely to be cheap. It's not like you'll be having teen delinquent gangs solving their disputes using nukes.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:Even if WMDs are legal, they're unlikely to be cheap. It's not like you'll be having teen delinquent gangs solving their disputes using nukes.

Chemical weapons could be pretty cheap
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

How's about "non-WMD weapons like guns, tanks, attack helicopters, nukes... ok, maybe not nukes."?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 am

Option 2- So, the purge?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 am

I lived a very closed life and have no idea what 90% of the worlds' available references are, but probably.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

Jutsa wrote:I lived a very closed life and have no idea what 90% of the worlds' available references are, but probably.
You don't know what the Purge is?! :blink:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 pm

I shall now be shunned by the entirety of nationstates.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Jutsa wrote:[box]Title: Breaking News Flash

You don't say! XD

This is kind of funny because it's just so stating the obvious about why legalizing terrorism is a bad idea.

This, except the opposite.

As in I agree that it's just stating the obvious, but to me that makes it a bad issue. It doesn't expand upon the original joke of legalising terrorism, or provide an amusing consequence. It just says "you done something dumb, do you want to change your mind?"

As legal terrorism isn't a tracked policy I don't think this issue is needed.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am

"you done something dumb, do you want to change your mind?"

I hoped I didn't do that, but I suppose this means I didn't succeed.
I thought "radical political freedom is leading to a smaller and more corruptable government with expensive repairs"
would be a bit more amusing and unexpected, and the options set up to be left-wing, anarchic, and repressive as a last resort.

I accept your opinion that I've not succeeded, but I have to ask:
you don't want to see a followup to legalizing terrorism? :P

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am

I just had an idea for a different follow up to legalizing terrorism. What if you legalize terrorism, terrorists kill some tourists, and the nations the tourists came from are mobilizing the international community against you?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 am

That could honestly be appropriate for nations legalizing murder, too... :P

ed3: idk, mulling it over, I still don't think I'm quite ready to discard it...
I'll give it some time, though, and if anyone else strongly agrees, I'll probably do away with it.
Similarly, if it ends up being too much to work around, I'll discard it as well.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I just had an idea for a different follow up to legalizing terrorism. What if you legalize terrorism, terrorists kill some tourists, and the nations the tourists came from are mobilizing the international community against you?
That's still kinda "you done something dumb, do you want to change your mind?", only now you need foreigners to explain to you how dumb it it is.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am

Did a little thing with option 2. I didn't realize just how chaotic everything is, and I gotta say that's a plus for me.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Jutsa wrote:I shall now be shunned by the entirety of nationstates.

Don't feel bad. I haven't seen it. I know what it is, but I haven't seen it
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 am

I decided not to watch the Purge. :P

Bump, I suppose.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:32 am

Hey, so I remembered CWA mentioning in the writers' block that this sort of issue wouldn't be necessary, as
CWA wrote:The high court judge rules that terrorism might be legal, but violence remains illegal, so the terrorist can still be prosecuted anyway.

So here's my question: Could there instead be a premise about this?

Think about it; you've purposefully legalized terrorism, and it's still technically punishable by law.
An issue could reflect this and instead have these options:
1) Make violence legal (some effect line about how violence is legal as long as no lives or their property are injured),
2) Make violence more punishable depending on the severity, and
3) Unban terrorism since it's still hurting your national image.

Idk if that'd work, but I genuinely can't see there not being an issue about doing something radical and not doing it at the same time.

That said, I wanted to propose the idea in case anyone thinks it's worth pursuing, or if the current draft is better,
or if neither should be pursued.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 am

Eh, I think I'm taking a chance regardless of which route I take, so I'll go ahead and submit this draft and see where it goes.

If it gets chucked, no worries; but I'd like to at least take the leap, just in case.
(Plus it's been up for nearly a month.)

Thank you all for your input. Submitted. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

Good luck

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?