NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Universal basic income for @@NAME@@?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Picuros
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Universal basic income for @@NAME@@?

Postby Picuros » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 am

Draft 2.0

Title:
Basic income incoming?

Validity: Not available for nations without a welfare budget

[Description] Following @@NAME@@'s top economic analysts' prediction of the collapse of the nation's welfare system as we know it, there's been talk about a complete overhaul to avert the impending crisis - including the introduction of a universal basic income.

Options:
[Option] "Too right! We need a guaranteed income for everyone, and we need it quick!" Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, accompanied by his trophy wife and two children as he hops out of his SUV. "I believe it goes without saying that we should axe the current system to achieve this. If I'm going to be taxed like I am right now, I'd at least like *something* in return! Of course a basic income would apply to the unemployed as well, but being part of the upper middle class isn't easy, you know!" His wife and children nod in agreement.
[Effect] Starvation is plummeting while the rich enjoy their extra holiday a year.

[Option] In storms @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s largest labor union, with a significant portion of the @@CAPITAL@@'s industrial workforce behind @@HIM@@. "Of course that's what *he* would say! The current welfare system is in place to help the less fortunate and it should keep on doing exactly that. Granting bourgeois pigs like mr. Money Bags over here a basic income is the easiest way to make the rich richer! Whatever happened to 'from each according to his ability, to each according to--'" @@HE@@'s cut off by the sound of @@HIS@@ eight squirming toddlers. "Anyway, our *need* is more money for welfare."
[Effect] Life expectancy is higher for the homeless than for retail workers.

[Option] "Please, everyone, hold your horses!" Pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@ amidst the escalating tensions. "The taxes. You haven't thought about the taxes, you parasites! The current welfare system has shown to be too large of a burden to be sustainable and a universal basic income is doomed to suffer the same fate. Besides, how is keeping people above the poverty line unconditionally going to tackle unemployment in any way? I say we just scrap it all and send the people a clear message -- an unemployed @@DEMONYM@@ is an unhappy @@DEMONYM@@."
[Effect] Inhabitants of @@NAME@@'s many concrete jungles don't see a penny from the emerging urban safari industry.

[Option] "By @@LEADER@@’s @@ANIMAL@@, I can't believe what I'm hearing!" Screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, the projected valedictorian of @@CAPITAL@@ University's graduating class this year. "I haven't even finished college yet and this is what you want to do to my future? The only reasonable option is a strong welfare system alongside universal basic income, no dilemma needed. Forget about the taxation, there's simply no alternative that ensures the well-being of every social class in @@NATIONNAME@@. I will not have me and my fellow students' fates decided by budget cuts!" @@HE@@ belts, before graduate caps get thrown all around.
[Effect] @@NAME@@ is thoroughly enjoying its high life standards before the taxpayer gets fed up.

Option 1 and 4 could introduce policy: universal basic income?
Title:
Universal basic income for @@NAME@@?

Validity: Not available for nations without a welfare budget

Following @@NAME@@'s top economic analysts' prediction of the collapse of the nation's welfare system as we know it, there's been talk about a complete overhaul to avert the impending crisis - including the introduction of a universal basic income.

Options:
[Option 1]
"Too right! We need a guaranteed income for everyone, and we need it quick!" Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, accompanied by his trophy wife and two children as he hops out of his SUV. "I understand helping someone out when they're in a rough spot, but if I'm going to be taxed like I am right now, I'd at least like *something* in return. Of course a basic income would apply to the unemployed as well, but being part of the upper middle-class isn't easy, you know!" His wife and children nod in agreement.
[Effect]
Starvation comes to a halt while the rich enjoy their extra holiday a year.
[Stats]
Taxation way up, income equality and cheerfulness up, average disposable income way down, economic freedom down

[Option 2]
In storms @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s largest labor union, with a significant portion of the @@CAPITAL@@'s industrial workforce behind her. "Of course that's what *he* would say! The current welfare system is in place to help the less fortunate and it should keep on doing exactly that. Granting bourgeois pigs like mr. Money Bags over here a basic income is the easiest way to make the rich richer! Whatever happened to 'from each according to his ability, to each according to--'" She's cut off by the sound of her eight squirming toddlers. "Anyway, our *need* is more money for welfare."
[Effect]
Life expectancy is higher for the homeless than for retail workers.
[Stats]
Average income of poor way up, taxation up, cheerfulness down, employment down

[Option 3]
"Please, everyone, hold your horses!" Pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@ amidst the escalating tensions. "The taxes. You haven't thought about the taxes, you parasites! The current welfare system has shown to be too large of a burden to be sustainable and a universal basic income is doomed to suffer the same fate. Besides, how is keeping people above the poverty line unconditionally going to tackle unemployment in any way? I say we just scrap it all and send the people a clear message -- an unemployed @@DEMONYM@@ is an unhappy @@DEMONYM@@."
[Effect]
The nation is notorious for its shoddy concrete jungles and the accompanying urban safaris.
[Stats]
Average disposable income and employment up, economic freedom and wealth gaps way up, health down, taxation way down

[Option 4]
"By @@LEADER@@’s @@ANIMAL@@, I can't believe what I'm hearing!" Screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, the projected valedictorian of @@CAPITAL@@ University's graduating class this year. "I haven't even graduated yet and this is what you want to do to my future? The only reasonable option is a strong welfare system alongside universal basic income, no dilemma needed. Forget about the taxation, there's no alternative that ensures the well-being of every social class in @@NATIONNAME@@. I don't want me and my fellow students' fates decided by budget cuts!" He belts, before graduate caps get thrown all around.
[Effect]
@@NAME@@ is thoroughly enjoying its high life standards before the taxpayer gets fed up.
[Stats]
Life expectancy, income equality up, taxation way up, average disposable income way down, employment down (stronger than option 1)

Option 1 and 4 could introduce policy: universal basic income?
Last edited by Picuros on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 am

Interesting idea. Will follow!

You don't need to include stat effects, the editors take care of that.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Picuros
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picuros » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 am

Hediacrana wrote:Interesting idea. Will follow!

Thanks, had no idea, quite new to the forum! I'm just glad you didn't see any fundamental faults in it.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am

I’ll drop a pointer or two in as well, then. :p

Your effect lines do not need capitalization at the beginning, nor punctuation at the end, the system does these things automatically.

Like this:

[effect] - this is a very funny example of how an effect line should look

Upon first glance, you do posses the writing ability required to write an issue. This fact bodes quite well for you.
Last edited by Candensia on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 am

Picuros wrote:
Hediacrana wrote:Interesting idea. Will follow!

Thanks, had no idea, quite new to the forum! I'm just glad you didn't see any fundamental faults in it.

Well, it looks like a pretty good start to me, but don't trust my opinion too much :) I've haven't got a single accepted issue under my belt yet. You'll probably want to wait till a more experienced author or editor comes along.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
She/her.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:17 am

Surely we can come up with a better title, however.

Good titles are punny, shocking, contain a degree of wordplay, or otherwise capture the attention of the reader.

Something like “Basic Income Incoming?” or “Universal Income Incoming?”

EDIT: I beat USS Monitor to it. :p
Last edited by Candensia on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am

Can you think of a more interesting title? (EDIT: looks like Candensia beat me to it) I think this is a viable topic for an issue, but the presentation needs to be polished up a bit.

Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, accompanied by his trophy wife and two children as he hops out of his SUV.

In storms @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s largest labor union, with a significant portion of the @@CAPITAL@@'s industrial workforce behind her.

@@RANDOMNAME@@ should be used with @@HE@@, @@HIS@@, @@HIM@@ not "he" or "her." It can give both male and female names, and you need the pronouns to change based on the name that comes up.

If you want this to be available to nations with no same sex marriage, then the first one should be @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ and you can keep the male pronouns.

Hediacrana wrote:I've haven't got a single accepted issue under my belt yet.

I think you'll get there if you keep at it.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Picuros
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picuros » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 am

USS Monitor wrote:Can you think of a more interesting title? (EDIT: looks like Candensia beat me to it) I think this is a viable topic for an issue, but the presentation needs to be polished up a bit.

@@RANDOMNAME@@ should be used with @@HE@@, @@HIS@@, @@HIM@@ not "he" or "her." It can give both male and female names, and you need the pronouns to change based on the name that comes up.

What's the actual process for improving your submission? More drafts and then wait till a mod likes it? Excuse my ignorance haha :lol2:

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 am

Picuros wrote:What's the actual process for improving your submission? More drafts and then wait till a mod likes it? Excuse my ignorance haha :lol2:

Basically, read the suggestions, keep working the ones that seem useful into newer drafts, till an experienced author or editor tells you that it's ready to go and/or no more new suggestions are made.

USS Monitor wrote:I think you'll get there if you keep at it.

Thanks for the encouragement.
She/her.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 am

Picuros wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Can you think of a more interesting title? (EDIT: looks like Candensia beat me to it) I think this is a viable topic for an issue, but the presentation needs to be polished up a bit.

What's the actual process for improving your submission? More drafts and then wait till a mod likes it? Excuse my ignorance haha :lol2:

Get feedback, write new drafts based on the feedback. (You don't have to use every suggestion; just think them over and use the ones that will make the draft better.) When it feels like the draft is as good as you can make it, or you start getting feedback saying, "This is really good; you should submit it," instead of pointing out stuff to fix, then you submit your issue.

Impressing the editors is more important than impressing the mods. Editors are the ones who review the submissions and choose which issues get added to the game. Some mods can edit issues, but in practice we aren't actively doing it and the editors are managing the issues game.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

I notice that option one and option four aren't very different. Both are arguing for the implementation of a basic income while the effects for 4 are stronger. I think to distinguish between them more it would make sense for option one to argue for replacing the existing welfare systems with a basic income system. This is sort of implied already but it should be explicit. It also give a strong reason why someone like him would want a basic income system, it will cost less then the current welfare system(this doesn't need to be true necessarily, he just needs to believe it).
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Honestly, I feel like this whole debate can be within one option. You should make the premise something along the lines of what you have right now, in which the welfare state will collapse, and one of the options can be to introduce UBI.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Several attempts at a UBI issue have been made and submitted.
None've made it, though. All I can say is good luck.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Jutsa wrote:Several attempts at a UBI issue have been made and submitted.

I wonder if this is an issue of quality or theres a technical issue that prevents UBI being represented acceptably.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Aclion wrote:

I wonder if this is an issue of quality or theres a technical issue that prevents UBI being represented acceptably.

Usually if it's a technical problem, but a good quality issue, we just fudge it the best we can. If quality is borderline, then the difficulty of implementing it might tip the balance, but if quality is really good, then it's "make it work" time.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Couldn't the effects of a UBI be represented by reducing the income of the rich and increasing the income of the poor, upping Income Equality without changing Average Income?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Couldn't the effects of a UBI be represented by reducing the income of the rich and increasing the income of the poor, upping Income Equality without changing Average Income?

No, because it raises everyone's income.

It might lower the disposable income of the rich, since it would raise their taxes, but it wouldn't lower their income.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm

What have been the problems with previous UBI issue attempts?
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Picuros
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picuros » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 am

In my second draft, I changed the title to Candensia's punny "Basic Income Incoming?", I made the replacement of the welfare system with UBI in Issue 1 explicit instead of implicit, I correctly formatted the second and fourth issues' pronouns to be of both sexes while keeping the first one's male (for non-same-sex marriage nations to be eligible as well). Any more suggestions? I wanna thank you all for contributing because this first NS writing experience has been a very fun one for me :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 am

Option 1- but wouldn't the upper middle class salary exceed the universal basic income?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- but wouldn't the upper middle class salary exceed the universal basic income?

He'd be getting both his salary and the UBI.

Westerly Star
Civilian

Founded: Jun 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Westerly Star » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 am

I was looking to see if someone had this idea and it looks like someone did! Fix this up a little using a more punny title and I think this could really work! :bow:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am

Wellh, I'm afraid this draft was last worked on 1.75 years ago. Actually, there've been a couple of drafts on UBI, I believe;
but thus far we haven't any accepted issues on the topic. :(

You could always work on one, yourself, but definitely refer back to existing threads for details as to why UBI drafts may not have panned out in the past. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:38 am

If the welfare system is on the verge of collapse, how would giving out more welfare solve anything?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Westinor
Issues Editor

Founded: Feb 15, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Westinor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:If the welfare system is on the verge of collapse, how would giving out more welfare solve anything?

I think the idea here isn't to stack more welfare on top of existing welfare, but rather to redistribute funds back as UBI. At least, I believe that's the plan.
Stay safe, be kind, and have a great day! :)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?