NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Should Be Sufficient

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] Should Be Sufficient

Postby Jutsa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Has anyone noticed how every attempt to undo autarkies has been about @@NAME@@ missing something, and that premise just not really working?
Well, I wondered: What if it wasn't about what your nation needed, but what another nation needed?

Draft 1.22
Title: Model of Self-Sufficiency
The Issue: Although @@NAME@@ has had to overcome several problems, such as no longer having Merovingian chocolate or Gallopavian flowers, people and industries alike are slowly adjusting to becoming an autarky; that is, within @@NAME@@. However, Zompableech Island, a small island nation that was almost entirely dependent on trade with @@NAME@@ due to its remote location and endless conflict with Zompaboodaland, has been left ravaged with famine and a crippling economy due to the halt on trade.
Validity: Must have Autarky

Option 1: "How could we have done this to the poor Zompablees?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Progress, accidentally snickering at the term 'Zompablee'. "Sorry. They depended on us for most of their goods! They're hardly self-sufficient, unlike us. We need to go all-out and supply aid to them, free of charge, until they can supply for themselves... maybe."
[effect] what little goods @@NAME@@ can supply are given to other nations free of charge

Option 2: "What about Althaniq, and West Calypso, and Marche Blanc?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, who used to sell wrenches in all three nations. "That's a lot of nations not getting our valuable, non-aid supplies. It's obvious we've got the best of everything there is, so why not open up global trade so we can help everyone out and show the rest of the world what we have to offer?"
[effect] the nation is going into debt from buying more than it can sell
[Flag Change] Removes Autarky

Option 3: "If a nation can't survive on its own, then we shouldn't be giving it any charity," says your grumpy and possibly psychotic brother, pouring himself a bowl of @@LEADER@@-Os. "Especially not to some place called Zompableech." He elicits another giggle from your Minister of Progress. "We should patrol their waters to stop any international trade, and force them to become self-sufficient. If they succeed, they'll thank us, and if they don't... well, anything left can be added to our territory. Not that we need it, of course."
[effect] Asking @@LEADER@@ for a pie yields a face full of destruction

The Issue: Although @@NAME@@ has had to overcome several problems, such as no longer having Merovingian chocolate or Gallopavian flowers, people and industries alike are slowly adjusting to becoming an autarky; that is, within @@NAME@@. However, Zompableech Island, a small island nation that was almost entirely dependent on trade with @@NAME@@ due to its remote location and endless conflict with Zompaboodaland, has been left ravaged with famine and a crippling economy due to the halt on trade.

Option 1: "How could we have done this to the poor Zompablees?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Progress, accidentally snickering at the term 'Zompablee'. "Sorry. They depended on us for most of their goods! They're hardly self-sufficient, unlike us. We need to go all-out and supply aid to them, free of charge, until they can supply for themselves... maybe."
[effect] what little goods @@NAME@@ can supply are given to other nations free of charge

Option 2: "What about Althaniq, and West Calypso, and Marche Blanc?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, who used to sell wrenches in all three nations. "That's a lot of nations not getting our valuable, non-aid supplies. It's obvious we've got the best of everything there is, so why not open up global trade so we can help everyone out and show the rest of the world what we have to offer?"

Option 3: "If a nation can't survive on its own, then we shouldn't be giving it any charity," says your woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed and possibly psychotic brother, pouring himself a bowl of @@LEADER@@-Os. "We should patrol their waters to stop any international trade, and force them to become self-sufficient. If they succeed, they'll thank us, and if they don't... well, anything left can be added to our territory. Not that we need it, of course."

Option 3: "If a nation can't survive on its own, then we shouldn't be giving it any charity," says your woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed brother, yielding another snicker from your Minister of Progress. "In fact, we should patrol their waters to stop any international trade, and force them to become self-sufficient. If they succeed, they'll thank us, and if they don't... well, anything left can be added to our territory. Not that we need it, of course."

Option 3: "Ugh, all of this started with this stupid little island nation full of people that didn't like being called Boodahs," says your woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed brother, yielding another snicker from your Minister of Progress. "If a nation can't survive on its own, then we shouldn't be giving it any charity. In fact, why not just put it out of its misery already and bomb the crap out of 'em? Anything left can be added to our territory... not that we need it, of course."

The Issue: Although @@NAME@@ has had to overcome several problems with missing goods, people and industries alike are slowly adjusting to becoming an autarky; that is, within @@NAME@@. However, Zompableech Island, a small island nation that was almost entirely dependent on trade with @@NAME@@ due to its remote location and endless conflict with Zompaboodaland, has been left ravaged with famine and a crippling economy due to the halt on trade.

Option 1: "How could we have done this to the poor Zompablees?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Progress, accidentally triggering a snicker from your not-so-compassionate Minister of Trade with the term 'Zompablee'. "They depended on us for most of their goods! They're hardly self-sufficient, unlike us. We need to go all-out and supply aid to them, free of charge, until they can supply for themselves... maybe."

Option 2: "Woah, wait, what's this about not getting paid?" asks your not-so-compassionate Minister of Trade. "It's bad enough we're thinking about letting some other people leach off of us against our no-trade policy, let alone get nothing back in return. Just lift the autarky ban on Zoomba-whatever and call an end to it. In fact, you may want to cut all of those foreign aid programs, while you're at it."
[effect] hackling poorer nations has nothing to do with the lack of iron mines and vegetable crops

Option 3: "What about Althaniq, and West Calypso, and Marche Blanc?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, who used to sell wrenches in all three nations. "That's a lot of nations not getting our valuable, non-aid supplies. It's obvious we've got the best of everything there is, so why not open up global trade so we can help everyone out and show the rest of the world what we have to offer?"

Option 4: "Ugh, all of this started with this stupid little island nation full of people that didn't like being called Boodahs," says your woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed brother, yielding another snicker from your minister of trade. "If a nation can't survive on its own, then we shouldn't be giving it any charity. In fact, why not just put it out of its misery already and bomb the crap out of 'em? Anything left can be added to our territory... not that we need it, of course."
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:57 am, edited 12 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 pm

I'd drop option 2. It doesn't add anything, and it creates simulation problems with being an autarky-but-not-autarky which is tricky to track. Just keep option 1 for the "make an exception for Zompableech" approach and option 3 for the "we want our export money" approach. (From an autark's point of view, there is actually an advantage to not charging money: if you're getting nothing in return from other nations, then you don't risk becoming economically dependent on them. Rather you're showing your own economy's strength by being able to give aid without requesting any. Assuming, of course, that your economy actually is strong enough to survive doing that.)

In option 4, bombing them just because you don't care about them is kind of extreme, but then I guess you didn't want a pseudo-dismiss option. Though I mention annexing them is technically an answer to the autarky issue: once you've conquered them, whoever's survived is now a part of your nation and can be traded with without violating autarky.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:32 am

Description- missing goods?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:27 am

Alright, seems good! I am kinda thinking that I agree with you on option 2, there.

Also, yes, that, alongside "they're practically dead anyway" was my logic for option 4's speaker.
It's not always easy to come up with a "do nothing" option, which I've grown to detest with a probably unnecessarily fire-fueled passion.

@Aussie: Good point. I did not word that very well.
The point of that was "due to @@NATION@@ not getting certain goods from other nations",
but my gosh I couldn't find the right way to word that.

ed: Hopefully that fixes everything. Changed who snickered and also added Gallopavia and Merovingia.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 am

The callbacks with the chocolates and tulips are fun, but kind of assume players getting issues in a certain order, so I don't think they can work.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The callbacks with the chocolates and tulips are fun, but kind of assume players getting issues in a certain order, so I don't think they can work.
It could just be normal Merovingian chocolate, rather than the super-delicious kind they invented more recently (and that you might have banned). Presumably they've been in the chocolate business for a while.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 am

True, good point. I guess the story isn't dependent on those issues having happened yet.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 am

That's kinda my logic in this, too. Similarly, Gallopavia's appearance is about white-dotted pink Gallopavian gladioli, rather than flowers in general.
ed: Stands to reason that they've also been selling flowers to your nation for some time.

I do add a lot of rarely-seen nations in my drafts, but ironically they tend to end up being the ones I think are most appropriate, somehow.
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Jutsa wrote:I do add a lot of rarely-seen nations in my drafts, but ironically they tend to end up being the ones I think are most appropriate, somehow.
Well, that makes sense. The commonly-seen nations are all interchangable violence-ridden hellholes.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 am

^ Very true. :lol:

Only exceptions are Brancaland and Skandilund. I already made an issue about Brancaland wood, although Skandilund saunas would've been a possibility. :P
ed: well maybe Dàguó and the UF too but still I don't wanna beat your point up much more than I already have.

Bump~
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

Jutsa wrote:Only exceptions are Brancaland and Skandilund.
I said "commonly". Skandilund has been in like seven issues so far. Brancaland has been in more, but still less than the heavyweights like Bigtopia and Maxtopia.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:09 pm

True, true. Discarding the heavyweights, though, Brancaland's definitely one of the more-often-seen nations.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Well, it doesn't seem like this one's having too many problems, which is nice.

I'll keep this one up for only a few days longer, I guess. :)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 am

Option 3, still feels a little disjointed (they don't deserve help to "bomb the crap out of them and take their land"). This option could still work, if the speaker is "your brother" -- as in "psycho-bro", the gloriously unrepentant psychopath who wants to do the most wicked thing for the sheer thrill of hearing people scream and crushing spirits.

If that's the brother, I suggest some characterisations here to make the character more totally amoral (as in previous portrayals). Right now, he comes across as a of an bit uncharitable git, but "a bit of an uncharitable git" doesn't just up and slaughter people to take their territory.

It's too jarring for me.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:54 am

Hmmm... I could also just make it so option 3 makes it impossible for them to get trade elsewhere.

That'd be interesting, actually, because it'd force them to become self-sufficient, just like you!

mmhmmhmhmm.....

ed: Yep, went that route instead. I like having a stupidly psychotic brother but I like this better. :P

ed2: Will leave this up for about another week unless major changes are necessary. Thank you, FJS. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Forgot to change option 3's narrative a bit... idk if that's good enough, but I like the idea of your brother eating Leader-Os.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:18 am

Bump~

Reworded option 3 again. Woke-Up-On-The-Wrong-Side-Of-Bed was replaced with Grumpy.

That was mostly adjusted so I could also throw in "Especially not to some place named Zompableech." :P

ed: Oh yeah, this'll also probably be my last bump unless a major change's made. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Aaand it's submitted! It in no way felt like almost a month, though. :)

Thank you all for your help. :D

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Best wishes, Jutsa.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Good luck, Jutsa. I have confidence in this issue.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?