NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted] Calling All @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:True. You've got to find a balance.
The clever way is to not just come up with synonyms for "says", but rather find interesting things for characters to do during their conversation besides just talking, such as using body language. People rare stand around like stoic statues with only their mouths moving in real life, especially if whatever they're talking about is important and interesting enough to actually be worth that many pages of story.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm

unless you're on some daytime television talk show
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The clever way is to not just come up with synonyms for "says", but rather find interesting things for characters to do during their conversation besides just talking, such as using body language. People rare stand around like stoic statues with only their mouths moving in real life, especially if whatever they're talking about is important and interesting enough to actually be worth that many pages of story.
Finding other words than just 'says' and describing what the character are not mutually exclusive; they can both be used.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Sacara wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:The clever way is to not just come up with synonyms for "says", but rather find interesting things for characters to do during their conversation besides just talking, such as using body language. People rare stand around like stoic statues with only their mouths moving in real life, especially if whatever they're talking about is important and interesting enough to actually be worth that many pages of story.
Finding other words than just 'says' and describing what the character are not mutually exclusive; they can both be used.

It's not really fair to keep taking up Monitor's draft with this, so this will be my last post on the topic, but I have a suggested exercise (I'm sure I read it somewhere).

Try reading a handful of bestselling novels from the last fifty years (any that sound interesting), by well-regarded authors (19th century authors tended to use more purple prose, so you can get a distorted idea). Pay close attention how often, in dialogue, tags other than "says"/"said" are used, and how often -- in fact -- tags used at all (rather than showing the character in action).

NS has a very different style of writing, because -- as Monitor says -- you have to capture the whole essence of a character in just a few words of description. In a short story or novel, it's possible to let a picture build gradually.

Talking of NS:

If you want something for the Minister of Finance to do, how about something to make him seem more stressed, like:
… Minister of Finance, frantically scribbling sums over a topographic survey.

And can we talk about why @@ANIMAL@@s are learning to use phones?"

That line just comes a little too far out of left-field for me. I like absurdist humour, but I find that just a little too surreal (though it may be just me). How about altering slightly to:

And how about teaching some of those @@ANIMAL@@s to use our phones?"

Which is still in-keeping with the "three people and @@A@@ @@ANIMAL@@" line and sets up for the effect.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:It's not really fair to keep taking up Monitor's draft with this, so this will be my last post on the topic, but I have a suggested exercise (I'm sure I read it somewhere).

TBF, I've contributed to the side-track myself.

Talking of NS:

If you want something for the Minister of Finance to do, how about something to make him seem more stressed, like:
… Minister of Finance, frantically scribbling sums over a topographic survey.

And can we talk about why @@ANIMAL@@s are learning to use phones?"

That line just comes a little too far out of left-field for me. I like absurdist humour, but I find that just a little too surreal (though it may be just me). How about altering slightly to:

And how about teaching some of those @@ANIMAL@@s to use our phones?"

Which is still in-keeping with the "three people and @@A@@ @@ANIMAL@@" line and sets up for the effect.

I'll think these over.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 am

Why is this specific to mountains? I get that elevation plays a role in it, but in places such as Australia, you can't get reception in many places, e.g. the Outback, even though the Outback's as flat as a pancake
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 am

I think this is a great issue, but do think it might limit to mountainous areas a little too much. It affects flat rural areas as well.

Another thing to consider would be the addition of another option, since these are private phone companies. You could have the CEO of the leading company in coverage voicing their concern that mandating coverage would destroy their company because they now lose their competitive edge. That CEO then voices concern about how you are getting involved in private industry, and the affect of choosing this option would be to improve private industry at the expense of other factors. I am not an issue writer, so you know better then I what those factors may be.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:20 am

Newmanistan wrote:I think this is a great issue, but do think it might limit to mountainous areas a little too much. It affects flat rural areas as well.

I'm a sucker for mountains, but it'd be a simple change to make it "especially in mountainous regions" instead of just "in mountainous regions."

Another thing to consider would be the addition of another option, since these are private phone companies. You could have the CEO of the leading company in coverage voicing their concern that mandating coverage would destroy their company because they now lose their competitive edge. That CEO then voices concern about how you are getting involved in private industry, and the affect of choosing this option would be to improve private industry at the expense of other factors. I am not an issue writer, so you know better then I what those factors may be.

It doesn't specify whether the phone service is provided by private companies or a government agency, and I mostly want to keep it ambiguous so the issue doesn't have to be limited to capitalist nations. However, it is possible to limit specific options without limiting the whole issue, and a CEO complaining about government meddling in private industry would work for capitalist nations. Possibly with an alternate version for non-capitalist nations saying you should allow private companies to come in and provide phone service.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm

I personally disagree with having another set of options for that.

If private industry wanted to go out there, they would; and though the reasoning would be "impeding on the free market",
it'd probably just wind up functioning like the second option - unless you give them subsidies, which'd frankly be a bit like option 1.

It's even worse for nations without private industry; you'd completely change your market system because of cell phone towers,
and honestly the chances of them reaching out to rural areas are even less likely than the government doing so.

Another concern is still with option 3 and how it'd work with 911, and ironically this'd mean you could ban phones without banning computers...
so, honestly, I'm personally thinking that it might be better to instead make the third, radical option a "move everyone to the cities" option
(because that's actually been done before).

Also, as for the premise: It's simple enough, but as CWA's told me in many of my own drafts, it doesn't really pop that much.
"A few people are complaining about this one service being suboptimal". I'm not saying it's bad, but I'd get the talk if I did that.
(And I almost certainly will, sadly.)
ed: On the flip side, I actually don't mind that premise; Something about the short-and-simple reminds me of old NS.

Idk why I didn't use HR sooner; so helpful.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Jutsa wrote:I personally disagree with having another set of options for that.

If private industry wanted to go out there, they would; and though the reasoning would be "impeding on the free market",
it'd probably just wind up functioning like the second option

When I was mulling this over on my walk to the grocery store, I thought about making two versions of option 2 rather than adding a whole other option.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:45 pm

I thought about making two versions of option 2 rather than adding a whole other option.
Now that, on the other hand, looks like it could work. :)

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Jutsa wrote:I personally disagree with having another set of options for that.

it'd probably just wind up functioning like the second option - unless you give them subsidies, which'd frankly be a bit like option 1.

It's even worse for nations without private industry; you'd completely change your market system because of cell phone towers,
and honestly the chances of them reaching out to rural areas are even less likely than the government doing so.
Why not have an option (or a doppelganger for two) that would incentive private businesses to do so?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm

or a doppelganger for two
If a doppelganger for anything it'd be one... but, yeah, that'd be a possibility, come to think of it.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Jutsa wrote:
or a doppelganger for two
If a doppelganger for anything it'd be one... but, yeah, that'd be a possibility, come to think of it.

I don't think option 1 needs a doppleganger.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:31 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I'm a sucker for mountains,
You don't see a lot of ships in mountains...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 pm

except in minecraft.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I'm a sucker for mountains,
You don't see a lot of ships in mountains...

That's why I have such a fascination with them. The grass is always greener on the other side...

Joking aside, I'm not a ship IRL, and although I live near sea level, I like visiting the mountains or learning about mountain climbing stuff from reading, watching documentaries, etc. Serious mountain climbers are out of their minds, and I would never climb Everest or K2 or anything like that, but it still is fun to learn about it. And it's fun to do shorter climbs that don't require any fancy gear and won't give me such bad altitude sickness.

The last issue I wrote before this one is "Frozen Assets," which is also about the mountains.

Regarding this issue, there will be another draft, but it might be a couple days before it happens. It's a bit late to get it done tonight, and it looks like I am going to have a long day at work tomorrow.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:04 pm

New draft.

The new versions of option 2 are too freshly-written for me to evaluate the quality in anything resembling an objective manner.

I haven't bothered about how option 3 would work with #911 because that's something that can be worked out backstage if someone picks this up to edit. As-written, it doesn't explicitly ban landlines, but that would be easy to change if banning all phones is more convenient for game mechanics. This draft doesn't specify if the people complaining about cell phone service live somewhere that doesn't have landline cables or if they just don't like being unable to take their phone with them when they go out.

Edit: forgot to say, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a clever name for the phone company
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:15 pm

dressed in lederhosen and accompanied by goats.
:rofl:

I should note that option 3's bulk of the dialogue is a single, very long sentence. :P

Aside from that, a good phone company name... uh, interesting...

you could make a name appropriate for the CEO's suggestion, like "Select Cells",
or you could make it ironic, like "Nationwide" or "Retrowave" or even "Allacross Communications" or something. :P
(i.e. a company claiming to be all-around and really not being that at all)

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Jutsa wrote:
dressed in lederhosen and accompanied by goats.
:rofl:

I should note that option 3's bulk of the dialogue is a single, very long sentence. :P

Aside from that, a good phone company name... uh, interesting...

you could make a name appropriate for the CEO's suggestion, like "Select Cells",
or you could make it ironic, like "Nationwide" or "Retrowave" or even "Allacross Communications" or something. :P
(i.e. a company claiming to be all-around and really not being that at all)

"Nationwide" is a possibility.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 am

Only problem is that that's also the name of a irl insurance company or something, but I'm sure it's fine to use in the context of phones.

Heck, we've gotten bills from a healthcare company and internet/electric(not sure which) company named the same thing. Can't tell you how confusing that is.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am

Jutsa wrote:Only problem is that that's also the name of a irl insurance company or something, but I'm sure it's fine to use in the context of phones.

Heck, we've gotten bills from a healthcare company and internet/electric(not sure which) company named the same thing. Can't tell you how confusing that is.

I could make it Nationwide Mobile or Nationwide Telecom or something to avoid confusion with the insurance company.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 am

I've put in "Universal Telecom," which uses the same general concept, but can't be mistaken for an insurance company. Also corrected a couple of typos.

Planning to submit this soon if nobody has further suggestions. Now submitted.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?