NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] A Hot and Sour Day

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Yotongrek
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Draft] A Hot and Sour Day

Postby Yotongrek » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

(Description) While walking down the street, you notice a lemonade stand displaying a prominent sign reading 'Closed due to governmental regulations' surrounded by a mob of sweating people.

(Validity) //i think this would be valid for all nations, but should it be banned in nations with protests illegal (based on there being a mob and all)? Also some of the responses (i.e. #3) would only be available for non-communist nations

(Choices)
1. A child wearing a hat reading @@RANDOMNAME@@'s Lemonade approaches you while holding a yellow drink and a cash jar. @@HE@@ says "Do you want some lemonade? I don't understand why the big scary man shut down my stand. Half of the money goes to my school, so you should let us put stands everywhere!" Your security guard concernedly inspects the drink.
> 1. Lemonade stands claim to support local schools on every street corner
2. "Are these kids starting companies without government permission?!" A sharply-dressed and perspiring man angrily cries while pulling a copy of @@NAME@@'s Business Tax Code out of his large, Lemon-Ade branded suitcase. "I demand proper health and safety check along with standard taxation apply to all commerce in @@NAME@@, no matter how young the CEO! Lemon-Ade certainly had to conform, why shouldn't the kids?! Also, if you wouldn't mind subsidizing existing lemonade businesses, it would be... lets say "appreciated'"
> 2. 8-year-olds must have a fine understanding of the complex web of the @@DEMONYM@@ legal system to help fund their school with lemonade profits
3. "Why do we allow commerce in @@NAME@@ at all?" shouts a figure dressed in a large overcoat and pointed mask with a black box that says 'Speech Garble 2000'. "According to my extensive research, all money is good for is stifling the proletariat and enriching the bourgeois! We must not rest under this tyrannical system any longer!"
> 3. even businesses started by 3rd Graders are quickly nationalized
4. Two people with bloodshot eyes approach you, one motioning with a tall bottle and the other offering you a small bag of a white powder. In unison, they mumble "Why must we regulate business at all? Shouldn't we adults be as free as the kids to sell... uh... lemonade on any street corner? We just want to support our family, and you, @@LEADER@@, shouldn't... uh... stop us."
> 4. every person, no matter the age, can sell lemonade's harder varieties by the roadside
Last edited by Yotongrek on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm

The description is too short, and a bit average. Have you maybe considered condemning @@RANDOMNAME@@'s Lemonade to its fate already, i.e. going down the "eight-year-old gets lemonade stand shut down for lack of permit/failing to abide by regulations/whatever" angle that has barely been considered (but would add an extra dimension or two)?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Tinhampton wrote:The description is too short, and a bit average. Have you maybe considered condemning @@RANDOMNAME@@'s Lemonade to its fate already, i.e. going down the "eight-year-old gets lemonade stand shut down for lack of permit/failing to abide by regulations/whatever" angle that has barely been considered (but would add an extra dimension or two)?
A description can never be too short. :p

But I grew, this is too bland.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Effect for option 1- no kid would ever claim that lemonade cures diseases. Kids aren't cunning enough to think of it themselves, and aren't deceptive enough to use it if their parents thought of it
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Yotongrek
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Yotongrek » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 1- no kid would ever claim that lemonade cures diseases. Kids aren't cunning enough to think of it themselves, and aren't deceptive enough to use it if their parents thought of it

That is the joke, as in the stands caused lemonaria and now the parents are trying to save face by supporting cure research, and also have u ever been to a lemonade stand? During the ebola outbreak, zika virus, and Nepalese earthquake I saw kids have signs saying they would send funds to support them, though obviously the signs were probably put there by there parents

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Yotongrek wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 1- no kid would ever claim that lemonade cures diseases. Kids aren't cunning enough to think of it themselves, and aren't deceptive enough to use it if their parents thought of it

That is the joke, as in the stands caused lemonaria and now the parents are trying to save face by supporting cure research, and also have u ever been to a lemonade stand? During the ebola outbreak, zika virus, and Nepalese earthquake I saw kids have signs saying they would send funds to support them, though obviously the signs were probably put there by there parents

Ah yes, it's easy to lie to kids
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Kids do have imaginations, you know. They're not incapable of telling lies.

Telling convincing lies, that's harder.

Yotongrek
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Yotongrek » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Kids do have imaginations, you know. They're not incapable of telling lies.

Telling convincing lies, that's harder.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/0 ... are-lying/ not really

Yotongrek
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Yotongrek » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 pm

How about:
(Description) While walking down the street, you notice a yellow booth displaying a prominent sign reading 'Closed due to governmental regulations' surrounded by a mob of sweating people.
(Validity) //i think this would be valid for all nations, but should it be banned in nations with protests illegal (based on there being a mob and all)? Also some of the responses (i.e. #3) would only be available for non-communist nations
(Choices) 1. A child wearing a hat reading @@RANDOMNAME@@'s Lemonade approaches you while holding a yellow drink and a cash jar. @@HE@@ says "Do you want some lemonade? I don't understand why the big scary man shut down my stand. Half of the money goes to my school, so you should let us put stands everywhere!" Your security guard concernedly inspects the drink.
2. "Are these kids starting companies without government permission?!" A sharply-dressed and perspiring man angrily cries while pulling a copy of @@NAME@@'s Business Tax Code out of his large, Lemon-Ade branded suitcase. "I demand proper health and safety check along with standard taxation apply to all commerce in @@NAME@@, no matter how young the CEO! Lemon-Ade certainly had to conform, why shouldn't the kids?! Also, if you wouldn't mind subsidizing existing lemonade businesses, it would be... lets say "appreciated'"
3. "Why do we allow commerce in @@NAME@@ at all?" shouts a figure dressed in a large overcoat and pointed mask with a black box that says 'Speech Garble 2000'. "According to my extensive research, all money is good for is stifling the proletariat and enriching the bourgeois! We must not rest under this tyrannical system any longer!"
4. Two people with bloodshot eyes approach you, one motioning with a tall bottle and the other offering you a small bag of a white powder. In unison, they mumble "Why must we regulate business at all? Shouldn't we adults be as free as the kids to sell... uh... lemonade on any street corner? We just want to support our family, and you, @@LEADER@@, shouldn't... uh... stop us."
(Fallout) 1. Lemonade stands claim to support local schools on every street corner
2. 8-year-olds must have a fine understanding of the complex web of the @@DEMONYM@@ legal system to help fund their school with lemonade profits
3. even businesses started by 3rd Graders are quickly nationalized
4. every person, no matter the age, can sell lemonade's harder varieties by the roadside

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 pm

It's recommended to put your new versions in the original post so that they're easily seen.

Another suggestion, format your drafts something like this:
TITLE
DESCRIPTION

OPTION ONE TEXT
OPTION ONE FALLOUT

OPTION TWO TEXT
OPTION TWO FALLOUT
A wall of text is hard on the eyes and makes me not want to read it.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Yellow booth? How are we supposed to guess that this is a lemonade stand? :P

Seriously, I didn't quite understand what the issue was about until I read the options. This shouldn't be the case. Your description should do what is expected of a description, and state the issue in a nutshell right at the outset.

Also, a lemonade stand is probably not related to the right to public protest.

I'd suggest it would be better to make this issue valid for communist nations and then to problematize whether it is OK for a child to sell lemonade or whether we should crack down on it just as harshly because it is a private enterprise of sorts.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Yotongrek
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Yotongrek » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Yellow booth? How are we supposed to guess that this is a lemonade stand? :P

Seriously, I didn't quite understand what the issue was about until I read the options. This shouldn't be the case. Your description should do what is expected of a description, and state the issue in a nutshell right at the outset.

Also, a lemonade stand is probably not related to the right to public protest.

I'd suggest it would be better to make this issue valid for communist nations and then to problematize whether it is OK for a child to sell lemonade or whether we should crack down on it just as harshly because it is a private enterprise of sorts.

1. Fixed.
2. The issue doesn't mention or change the right to protest
3. Why just communist nations? I mean, child worker's rights have long been a point of discussion in many types of nations, so I don't really see a problem with this going to all type of nations, with some options not viewable by some types of more extreme nations that couldn't change that fast/already agree with the decision fully (i.e. option 3 is communism anyway)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?