NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Spice of Life

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] The Spice of Life

Postby Altmer Dominion » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 am

If anyone can spot the reference this was inspired by, I will be very impressed. Tried to avoid overlap with existing issues about this topic, but let me know if there's any part that looks duplicated.

Draft 2:
[validity] Must have Cannabis Policy

[name] The Spice of Life

[description] The Minister of Agriculture’s affinity for a different kind of 'grass' is well-publicized. During an exchange at a @@CAPITAL@@ dispensary yesterday, he was prompted to try a newly-developed strain of spice called 'Fusaka'. Upon returning home, however, he found that the substance was literally nothing more than harmless Dàguó culinary spice. After publicizing this deception, a number of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have supported the Minister's experience by sharing similar dispensary incidents.

[option] "I was conned!'" hisses the Minister, appearing more stressed out than usual. "I was lucky this time around that only cooking spices were lit up, but what about the next time? From what it seems, other swindlers could be peddling substances of greater toxicity to unsuspecting customers. From farm to pipe, the government needs to keep a closer eye on the integrity of these goods. If they're not pure green, don’t consider them clean."
[effect] all cannabis grow operations have been forcibly nationalized

[option] "What a novel idea," ponders @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the head of 'Mothers Against High Living'. "These underhanded dealers may be doing the sobriety movement a favor. Personally, I say let's take it a step further. First-time users may not know the difference between real herbs and spices. If the authorities slyly replace all legal grow stock in @@NAME@@ with innocuous spices, we may be able to slam the door shut on this gateway drug once and for all."
[effect] five-star restaurants and @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ basements have an identical smell

[option] "Why the duplicity?" questions spice merchant @@RANDOMNAME@@, carefully sculpting a line of cinnamon on your desk. "Why don’t we visibly encourage this as a new hobby? Heck, it would still be safer than some of the plants legally being thrown around @@NAME@@ right now. People might even find some of these common spices more delectable. If you ask me, the benefits of these foods definitely pass the sniff test."
[effect] frat houses know when it’s Thyme to party

[validity] Must have Cannabis Policy
[name] The Spice of Life

[description] The Minister of Agriculture’s affinity for a different kind of 'grass' is well-publicized. During an exchange at a dispensary yesterday, he was prompted to try a newly-developed strain of spice called 'Fusaka'. Upon returning home, however, he found that the substance was literally nothing more than harmless Dàguó culinary spice.

[option] "I was conned!' hisses the Minister, ragged and disheveled from acute withdrawal. "I was lucky this time around that only cooking spices were lit up, but what about the next time? For all we know, other swindlers could be peddling substances of greater toxicity to unsuspecting customers. From farm to pipe, the government needs to keep a closer eye on the integrity of these goods. If they're not pure green, don’t consider them clean."
[effect] all cannabis grow operations have been forcibly nationalized

[option] "What a novel idea," ponders @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the head of 'Mothers Against High Living'. "These underhanded dealers may be doing the sobriety movement a favor. Personally, I say let's take it a step further. On the sly, why don’t you mandate that all recreational drugs be jazzed up with something a bit stronger—cyanide, for example. If it doesn’t kill the user, it’ll scare 'em off for life. And if they do die? Well, that’s just one less lowlife in @@NAME@@."
[effect] The fall from a guaranteed high is usually fatal

[option] "What’s all the fuss about?" questions spice merchant @@RANDOMNAME@@, carefully placing a teabag in a pipe bowl. "Why don’t we encourage this as a new hobby? Heck, it would still be safer than some of the plants legally being thrown around @@NAME@@ right now. People might even find some of these common spices more delectable. Er, by the way…do you happen to have a light on you?"
[effect] bringing recreational cinnamon to a party can bring the house down
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Oh, I do enjoy this issue... :lol:

To be honest, I'm not sure if, ahem, putting cyanide in weed is a good idea. It's creative, but honestly I think just cracking down on pot would be more realistic... :P

Just an observation. As for actual things to change, I think you mean "as a" instead of "a a" in option 3. :)

ed: Also, I should note you can have marijuana while also prohibiting smoking... at least, I'd think so. >.>
Regardless, you may wanna consider having actual tea or something as either a replacement to smoking or variant option... for both 1 and 3.
I'll let you iron that out. :p
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Jutsa wrote:Oh, I do enjoy this issue... :lol:

Glad to hear it!

Jutsa wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure if, ahem, putting cyanide in weed is a good idea. It's creative, but honestly I think just cracking down on pot would be more realistic... :P

During Prohibition in the 1920s-30s, the United States government still produced cleaning-strength alcohol for other uses. This legal version of pure alcohol was used by bootleggers to produce drinkable liquor. After catching on to the practice, the government passed regulations "that required the industrial manufacturers to add a lot of poisonous things into their alcohol knowing that this stuff was going to get stolen by bootleggers and people were going to drink it. " While this was the height of the draconian response, the article I linked also indicates that an accidental analogue happened to pot in the 1970s. While this issue uses cyanide to draw an extreme, it's making a commentary on a practice that the United States actually engaged in for a short while.

Jutsa wrote: As for actual things to change, I think you mean "as a" instead of "a a" in option 3. :)

Will fix!

Jutsa wrote:ed: Also, I should note you can have marijuana while also prohibiting smoking... at least, I'd think so. >.>
Regardless, you may wanna consider having actual tea or something as either a replacement to smoking or variant option... for both 1 and 3.
I'll let you iron that out. :p

Eh, I intended for option 3's "do you have a light?" to be a symbolic backdoor to re-legalizing smoking, but I see what you're saying. I'll see if I could make allusions to tea or edibles, but that just doesn't have the same connotation to frequent drug use in the same way that smoking or injections have.
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issues Authored

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Half-philosophical, half-medical question: Do you think you could get intoxicated as a placebo effect if you smoked a harmless kind of spice, falsely believing that it was marijuana?

If the answer to that is yes, the speaker in 2 can just suggest that. Not putting cyanide in weed, but selling non-psychoactive stuff as weed, in a duplicitous manner. The speaker could say that young people who will use marijuana for the first time have no idea what "getting high" feels like and could therefore be duped into thinking they were getting high even if they just used another harmless herb. "Protecting the youth" could thus be the argument presented to replace all marijuana with fake spice.
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:51 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:If anyone can spot the reference this was inspired by, I will be very impressed. Tried to avoid overlap with existing issues about this topic, but let me know if there's any part that looks duplicated.

Spaced, clearly. You have good taste in comedy.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Based on the feedback received, a new draft is up.
Issues Authored

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Wait, if you smoked these "drugs" in Dagou, if you purchased them in Dagou, then why would examining @@NAME@@'s supply lines have any impact whatsoever upon what happens inside Dagou?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Option 2: I don't think coming down from weed will send you to the hospital with withdrawal symptoms. That's why it's so popular with casual drug users.

Issues do sometimes exaggerate things, but where there is already so much misinformation out there demonizing marijuana, I find the exaggeration more irksome than amusing.

Australian rePublic wrote:Wait, if you smoked these "drugs" in Dagou, if you purchased them in Dagou, then why would examining @@NAME@@'s supply lines have any impact whatsoever upon what happens inside Dagou?

It doesn't say he smoked it in Daguo. It says he got it from a dispensary. It never says where the dispensary was.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:42 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Option 2: I don't think coming down from weed will send you to the hospital with withdrawal symptoms. That's why it's so popular with casual drug users.

Issues do sometimes exaggerate things, but where there is already so much misinformation out there demonizing marijuana, I find the exaggeration more irksome than amusing.

That's a valid point. I'll try to brainstorm an alternative line.

Australian rePublic wrote:Wait, if you smoked these "drugs" in Dagou, if you purchased them in Dagou, then why would examining @@NAME@@'s supply lines have any impact whatsoever upon what happens inside Dagou?

If it's confusing, I can throw in that the dispensary was in @@CAPITAL@@. The conman's bait-and-switch used imported Dagou spices, which I though was well-implied due to the RL history behind the spice trade.
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 am

[description] The Minister of Agriculture’s affinity for a different kind of 'grass' is well-publicized. During an exchange at a @@CAPITAL@@ dispensary yesterday, he was prompted to try a newly-developed strain of spice called 'Fusaka'. Upon returning home, however, he found that the substance was literally nothing more than harmless Dàguó culinary spice.

This is a funny story, but it feels like the story has ended as the paragraph ends.

Can you reframe it so that the description makes it clear what the ensuing dilemma is?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I've expanded on the description, along with editing out the offending effect line. The problem with the effect was also present in the first option, so the Minister's characterization has also been tweaked.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Feeling good at how this draft has turned out so far.
Issues Authored

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I was going to go through and give little edits here and there as I usually do, but upon reading, it looks really good. Although I am opposition to my political views on the subject, this is a very well-written draft. Nice job, Altmer. :clap:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Sacara wrote:I was going to go through and give little edits here and there as I usually do, but upon reading, it looks really good. Although I am opposition to my political views on the subject, this is a very well-written draft. Nice job, Altmer. :clap:

Lol. I'm kinda in the same boat, but since I'm from Colorado I felt contractually obligated to tackle to the subject eventually. :p

Unless there's any last-minute commentary, I'll probably submit this soon.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am

And submitted.
Issues Authored

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 am

Good luck. Glad to see you again. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 am

Good luck!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Good luck!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 am

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?