NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Wild Animals Gone Wild!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] Wild Animals Gone Wild!

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:02 am

If you couldn't tell, I really like pets... and think there should be more issues about them. :lol:
That said, I'm a little less certain about this one's premise. Still, in case it's a keeper, here it is. :P
(note: This one's old. Like, before I even used em-dashes old.)

Draft 1.00
Title: Wild Animals Gone Wild
The Issue: A @@MAN_1@@ by the name of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, renowned for taking care of a pet saber-toothed @@ANIMALPLURAL@@, had recently gone missing. @@HE@@ was eventually found — alas, in a place that no @@DEMONYM@@ should ever be found.
Validity: Pets are legal

Option 1: "This is terrible!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a concerned neighbor and close friend of @@FIRSTNAME_1@@. "I told @@HIM_1@@ that keeping those things as pets was dangerous, but @@HE_1@@ wouldn't listen to me! Oh, @@LEADER@@, you simply must ban people from keeping onto these beasts as pets! Do it... for @@FIRSTNAME_1@@!" @@HE_2@@ begins sobbing into a handkerchief.
[effect]it is technically illegal to adopt feral cats

Option 2: "Ah, please, there's no need to be so dramatic, dearie," mumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, a disinterested neighbor and bitter rival of @@FIRSTNAME_1@@. "@@HE_1@@ was an idiot, yes, but not because @@HE_1@@ kept a wild animal — 'twas because @@HE_1@@ was a horrible pet owner. After all, where do domestic animals come from? Wild animals. Ergo, any and all pets should be free to be adopted, but only if the caregiver is judged good enough to have them."
[effect]adopting a hamster is about as difficult as it is to adopt an elephant

Option 3: "Indeed, domesticated pets do come from wild animals!" agrees @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was not close to @@FIRSTNAME_1@@ geographically or otherwise. "Obviously, then, they can't be trusted! Have you ever seen a cat staring at you? It's just waiting for the right moment to take over your mind. I swear! And do you know how many @@ANIMAL@@ attacks there are in a year? Honestly, we'd be better off if you just banned people from having pets at all."
[effect]thousands of guinea pigs are left to fend for themselves in the city streets
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 am

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: A @@MAN_1@@ by the name of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, renowned for taking care of a pet saber-toothed @@ANIMALPLURAL@@, had recently gone missing.
Huh? Is this the plural of majesty?

(Fun fact: the word "behemoth" derives from the Hebrew word meaning "beasts", plural, even though here it's referring to a single - but extremely impressive - creature.)

Jutsa wrote:"After all, where do domestic animals come from? Wild animals."
First, domestic animals come from many centuries of captive breeding, and so are not simply "tamed" wild animals in temperament. Second, the main problem with many exotic pets isn't so much temperament as size, so that they're much more dangerous if they do decide to attack you (which might not even indicate malicious intent - many animals play-fight with their friends, and don't realize how fragile humans are...). For that matter, even if the animal is tame and you're a perfect pet owner, it's a lot harder to properly care for a larger animal simply because of the space needed to give it room to stretch its legs, and the food bills. The average apartment just isn't a suitable place to raise an elephant, no matter what.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:31 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:(Fun fact: the word "behemoth" derives from the Hebrew word meaning "beasts", plural, even though here it's referring to a single - but extremely impressive - creature.)

Fun fact: and, having passed through Arabic into the language of at least one people in Central Asia or the Caucasus, it gave rise to the Russian word "mammoth"...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:Fun fact: and, having passed through Arabic into the language of at least one people in Central Asia or the Caucasus, it gave rise to the Russian word "mammoth"...
Source? Wiktionary doesn't agree with you.

The actual Arabic version of the behemoth is Bahamut, a giant fish (as in, galaxy-sized) according to Islamic folklore.

Which then got popularized via Dungeons & Dragons and Final Fantasy as a dragon god. Huh.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:42 pm

I like the execution, but worry the premise is a bit close to 133 right now. There is some difference in that this one seems to deal more particularly with wild animals, but that difference seems quite subtle and does not always apply because of the ambiguity of @@animal@@. If your national animal is a grizzly, the two issues are almost interchangeable... Not sure whether that is enough of a problem, and if so, how to solve it, though.
Last edited by Hediacrana on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Option 3, how about a dog susing you put waiting for a belly rub?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Fun fact: and, having passed through Arabic into the language of at least one people in Central Asia or the Caucasus, it gave rise to the Russian word "mammoth"...
Source? Wiktionary doesn't agree with you.
The actual Arabic version of the behemoth is Bahamut, a giant fish (as in, galaxy-sized) according to Islamic folklore.

I can't remember my original source (probably a book about mammoths), but as regards 'behemoth' being a fish in Islamic tradition Wikipedia says However, the original biblical Behemoth never appeared as a fish.[6] A reshaping of its nature must have occurred in Muslim storytelling, some time in the early Islamic period.[7] One propsed scenario is that a pair of beasts from the bible were confused with each other,[8] the behemoth mis-assigned to the fish, and the aquatic leviathan to the bull so maybe the name was spread into Asia before that misunderstanding overtook the original meaning in the area from which it spread? I see that the Wiktionary article you quote only says “probably” about its suggested source for the name.
Maybe we should only continue this discussion, if at all, by TG?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 am

Bears Armed wrote:I see that the Wiktionary article you quote only says "probably" about its suggested source for the name.
True, but this at the very least indicates that there is a level of uncertainty, and that even if there is some chance of the "behemoth" theory being correct, it doesn't seem to be the most-supported one that you can assert as fact.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:01 am

Trotterdam wrote:True, but this at the very least indicates that there is a level of uncertainty, and that even if there is some chance of the "behemoth" theory being correct, it doesn't seem to be the most-supported one that you can assert as fact.
See his last sentence:
Bears Armed wrote:Maybe we should only continue this discussion, if at all, by TG?

Good writing. Premise is a little close to what is already on the book, but maybe you can get away with it. The weakest part are the effect lines. I'll attempt to think some over and get back to this thread.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:03 am

I'm waiting for Jutsa to respond to the comments presented so far. The on-topic ones, that is.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 am

Yeah, sorry about the wait...
sending this message out just in case I don't read them still, but I've been busy with other things. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am

Trotterdam wrote:Huh? Is this the plural of majesty?

Fixing that... :rofl:
Trotterdam wrote:First, domestic animals come from many centuries of captive breeding, and so are not simply "tamed" wild animals in temperament.
OK fair; tbh I was trying to make their logic sound sillier but I guess that should be addressed.
Second, the main problem with many exotic pets isn't so much temperament as size, so that they're much more dangerous if they do decide to attack you (which might not even indicate malicious intent - many animals play-fight with their friends, and don't realize how fragile humans are...). For that matter, even if the animal is tame and you're a perfect pet owner, it's a lot harder to properly care for a larger animal simply because of the space needed to give it room to stretch its legs, and the food bills. The average apartment just isn't a suitable place to raise an elephant, no matter what.
Oh yeah, this is a good argument, thank you. :lol:

Hediacrana wrote:I like the execution, but worry the premise is a bit close to 133 right now. There is some difference in that this one seems to deal more particularly with wild animals, but that difference seems quite subtle and does not always apply because of the ambiguity of @@animal@@. If your national animal is a grizzly, the two issues are almost interchangeable... Not sure whether that is enough of a problem, and if so, how to solve it, though.
Ah jeez... yeah, good point... :oops:
Yeah that's a killer, gonna go ahead and drop this one I'm afraid.

Sacara wrote:Good writing. Premise is a little close to what is already on the book, but maybe you can get away with it. The weakest part are the effect lines. I'll attempt to think some over and get back to this thread.
@Premise: I assume you mean 133? Yeah that's too similar for my own tastes. If you mean an actual book, then I'm afraid I'm lost.
Still, thanks for the compliment, I guess. :P
@Effect lines: Tell me about it. :roll:

Thanks, guys; sorry I took so long to discard this one but, y'know how it is. :blush:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?