NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] - The Sickest Criminals

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED] - The Sickest Criminals

Postby Candensia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Heyo! It's a Candensia draft! As always, I truly appreciate all feedback. This one carries a somewhat serious tone, but I hope you all will enjoy it nonetheless. :)

First Draft
[DRAFT] - Infirm Due For Imminent Release?

[The Issue] - Inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ died yesterday in prison from a tumor that went undetected for years. The death of the prisoner has prompted humanitarian groups to call on the government to craft a "compassionate release" policy for terminally ill or elderly inmates.
[issuevalidity] - Nation must have prisons.

[Option 1] - "@@LEADER@@, even prisoners should be afforded a degree of compassion," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-known philanthropist and humanitarian. "A portion of our convicted population lives in holding cells when they really belong in hospice care. A compassionate release system will allow these inmates to live out their days free from the encumbrance of incarceration. Yes, they could commit crimes following their release, but anyone who considers the elderly, debilitated, or dying a danger to society should consider a wellness check themselves."

[effect] - the prison service cuts living expenses by releasing the dying

[Option 2] - "Compassionate release might cut costs, but it's also cutting corners as far as justice is concerned!" counters former sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, a staunch supporter of retributive criminal policy. "Sure, inmates freed on medical parole would likely be incredibly weak, but they would also have little to lose. By releasing desperate inmates and relying on nothing but good faith to keep them in line, we would be doing a great disservice to @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ communities. Criminals are in prison for a reason, and they should stay there without expectation of early release, regardless of age or medical condition!"

[effect] - inmates are more likely to be struck by lightning than released on parole

[Option 3] - "Maybe if we put more effort into caring for our inmates medically, we wouldn't be talking about releasing them for humanitarian reasons!" declares prison nurse @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Frankly, prison infirmaries are not adequately equipped or staffed to fully handle inmates, many of whom posses self-destructive or violent lifestyles. Instead of having prison doctors "make do" until inmates can be seen in better-equipped facilities, which might come too late, @@NAME@@ should invest in prison medical facilities and personnel broadly capable of supporting their inmate populations, both in reckless youth and in old age."

[effect] - life expectancies inside correctional facilities vastly exceed the national average

Second Draft

[The Issue] - Inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ died yesterday in prison from a tumor that went undetected for years. The death of the prisoner has prompted humanitarian groups to call on the government to craft a "compassionate release" policy for terminally ill, as well as elderly inmates with crippling medical conditions.

[Option 1] - "@@LEADER@@, even convicts deserve compassion," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-known philanthropist and humanitarian. "A portion of our imprisoned population lives in holding cells when they really belong in hospice care. A compassionate release system will allow these inmates to live out their days free from the encumbrance of incarceration. Sure, they might be criminals, but anyone who considers the elderly, debilitated, or dying a danger to society should consider a wellness check themselves."

[Option 2] - "Compassionate release might cut costs, but it's also cutting corners as far as justice is concerned," counters former sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, a staunch supporter of retributive criminal policy. " What's to say these misfits won't live like they're dying and just return to their wrongful ways? Criminals are in prison for a reason, and they should stay there without expectation of early release, regardless of age or medical condition!"

[effect] - inmates are more likely to be struck by lightning than released on parole

[Option 3] - "Maybe if we put more effort into caring for our inmates medically, we wouldn't need to prescribe compassionate release!" declares prison nurse @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Frankly, prison infirmaries are not adequately equipped or staffed to fully handle inmates. Instead of having prison doctors "make do" until inmates can be seen in better-equipped facilities, which might come too late, @@NAME@@ should invest in prison medical facilities and personnel broadly capable of supporting their inmate populations, both in reckless youth and in old age."

[effect] - life expectancies inside correctional facilities vastly exceed the national average

Third Draft

[The Issue] - Inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ died yesterday in prison from a tumor that went undetected for years. The death of the prisoner has prompted humanitarian groups to call for a "compassionate release" policy for terminally ill or elderly inmates.

[Option 1] - "A portion of our imprisoned population lives in holding cells when they really belong in hospice care!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-known philanthropist and humanitarian. “A compassionate release system will allow these inmates to live out their days free from the encumbrance of incarceration. Sure, they might be criminals, but anyone who considers the elderly, debilitated, or dying a danger to society should consider a wellness check themselves."

[Option 2] - "We can't just release inmates every time they get a hangnail!" counters former sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, a staunch supporter of retributive criminal policy. "Sure, it might cut costs, but what's to say these convicts won't live like they're dying and return to their wrongful ways once they're out? As I see it, inmates should serve the entirety of their sentences, even if it means they get paroled out the back door."

[effect] - the only way to escape lengthy prison terms is in a body bag

[Option 3] - "Frankly, prison infirmaries aren't adequately equipped or staffed to fully handle inmates, who often end up sick, stabbed, or sometimes both," declares prison nurse @@RANDOMNAME@@, pointing to over a dozen shanks on a nearby table. "Instead of having prison doctors "make do" until prisoners can be seen in better-equipped facilities, which might come too late, @@NAME@@ should invest in prison medical facilities and personnel capable of supporting all who dwell within the walls.”

Current Draft

[DRAFT] - The Sickest Criminals SUBMITTED 9/21/18

[The Issue] - Inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ died yesterday in prison from a tumor that went undetected for years. The death of the prisoner has prompted humanitarian groups to call for a "compassionate release" policy for terminally ill or elderly inmates.

[Option 1] - "A portion of our imprisoned population lives in holding cells when they really belong in hospice care!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-known philanthropist and humanitarian. “A compassionate release system will allow these inmates to live out their days free from the encumbrance of incarceration. Yes, they might be criminals, but anyone who considers the elderly, debilitated, or dying a danger to society should consider a wellness check themselves."

[Option 2] - "We can't just release inmates every time they get a hangnail!" counters former sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, a staunch supporter of retributive criminal policy. "Sure, compassionate release might cut costs, but at what cost to the community? Tell me, what's stopping these crazies from going on crime sprees following their release? Arthritis? Keep these people in prison, @@LEADER@@! Convicts should serve the entirety of their sentences, even if it means they get paroled out the back door."

[effect] - the only way to escape lengthy prison terms is in a body bag

[Option 3] - "Frankly, prison infirmaries aren't adequately equipped or staffed to fully handle inmates, who often end up sick, stabbed, or sometimes both," declares prison nurse @@RANDOMNAME@@, pointing to over a dozen shanks on a nearby table. "Can't the government send some @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ our way? I mean, the sheer number of items one can substitute for a surgical suture is impressive and all, but @@NAME@@ should really invest in prison medical facilities and personnel capable of supporting all who dwell within the walls."

Last edited by Candensia on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 33 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am

Hmm. We had a draft about compassionate release once, but it turns out that it had all mentions of compassionate release scrubbed out by the time it was published, instead now being about parole (#919).

So I think you're good.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:47 am

Trotterdam wrote:Hmm. We had a draft about compassionate release once, but it turns out that it had all mentions of compassionate release scrubbed out by the time it was published, instead now being about parole (#919).

So I think you're good.

CWA had written a draft on Rudolph Hess last year. Is that what it evolved into? Or is it a separate draft?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 am

Option 3- yea, but terminal illness is still an inevitability
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 am

Trotterdam wrote:Hmm. We had a draft about compassionate release once, but it turns out that it had all mentions of compassionate release scrubbed out by the time it was published, instead now being about parole (#919).

So I think you're good.

Phew. Thank you for checking that for me. :blush:

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- yea, but terminal illness is still an inevitability

Yes of course, but with better medical care comes better chances of detecting said illnesses before they become terminal, if not already reducing the likelihood that they develop in the first place. :)

EDIT: After reading your post again, I'm sure you understood that. :)
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 am

So I think you're good.

Right, would be good to see that lost topic revivified.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Margaritas
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Margaritas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:22 am

Candensia wrote:Heyo! It's a Candensia draft! As always, I truly appreciate all feedback. This one carries a somewhat serious tone, but I hope you all will enjoy it nonetheless. :)

[The Issue] - Inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ died yesterday in prison from a tumor that went undetected for years. The death of the prisoner has prompted humanitarian groups to call on the government to craft a "compassionate release" policy for terminally ill, as well as elderly inmates with crippling medical conditions.

[Option 1] - "@@LEADER@@, even prisoners should be afforded a degree of compassion," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-known philanthropist and humanitarian. "A portion of our convicted population lives in holding cells when they really belong in hospice care. A compassionate release system will allow these inmates to live out their days free from the encumbrance of incarceration. Sure, they could commit crimes following their release, but anyone who considers the elderly, debilitated, or dying a danger to society should consider a wellness check themselves."

[Option 2] - "Compassionate release might cut costs, but it's also cutting corners as far as justice is concerned!" counters former sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, a staunch supporter of retributive criminal policy. "Sure, inmates freed on medical parole would likely be incredibly weak, but they would also have little to lose. By releasing desperate inmates and relying on nothing but good faith to keep them in line, we would be doing a great disservice to @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ communities. Criminals are in prison for a reason, and they should stay there without expectation of early release, regardless of age or medical condition!"

[Option 3] - "Maybe if we put more effort into caring for our inmates medically, we wouldn't be talking about releasing them for humanitarian reasons!" declares prison nurse @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Frankly, prison infirmaries are not adequately equipped or staffed to fully handle inmates, many of whom posses self-destructive or violent lifestyles. Instead of having prison doctors "make do" until inmates can be seen in better-equipped facilities, which might come too late, @@NAME@@ should invest in prison medical facilities and personnel broadly capable of supporting their inmate populations, both in reckless youth and in old age."

Once again, well done.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Candensia wrote:

So I think you're good.

Phew. Thank you for checking that for me. :blush:

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- yea, but terminal illness is still an inevitability

Yes of course, but with better medical care comes better chances of detecting said illnesses before they become terminal, if not already reducing the likelihood that they develop in the first place. :)

EDIT: After reading your post again, I'm sure you understood that. :)

Yea, but the problem still exists . The problem existing to a lesser extent means that it still needs to be addressed
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Yea, but the problem still exists . The problem existing to a lesser extent means that it still needs to be addressed

You're concern really isn't relevant though. It's just an option seeking to add more funding to healthcare, really.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:49 am

Sacara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Yea, but the problem still exists . The problem existing to a lesser extent means that it still needs to be addressed

You're concern really isn't relevant though. It's just an option seeking to add more funding to healthcare, really.

Precisely, Sacara.

Any further concerns? I’m not overly attached to the title, and am open to suggestions.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am

I'm going to start moving this one towards submission. This draft is now on last call. :)

Unless any critical concerns arise, this draft will be sent to the guys and gals in gold.
Last edited by Candensia on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am

It's entirely solid, but somewhat humourless. This is the sort of issue that gets put in the yes pool, then sits there for a year, then either gets deleted or significantly rewritten.

Try and find more comedy.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's entirely solid, but somewhat humourless. This is the sort of issue that gets put in the yes pool, then sits there for a year, then either gets deleted or significantly rewritten.

Try and find more comedy.

Got it, I'll apply the brakes and go window-shopping in the puns department.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am

Rapid Double-Post Sin, but I've returned from my window-shopping!

In the second draft, I have;

Reworded option 1, primarily in the conclusion.

Took the scissors to option 2, and reworded it considerably.

Reworded the opening of option 3.

Thank you for the continued feedback! :D

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Heyo! Draft version three is here!

Word count has been cut throughout the issue.

Option two has been slightly rewritten.

Effect 2 has been redone.

Do take a fresh look at this one, and tell me what you think! :lol:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 am

It's all sharper and still entirely competent. It's still not funny though...

For sure this passes muster for the yes-pool, but it just needs some humour to turn it from good to great.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am

Okay, rewrote a bit.

Option 3 has been reworked.

It’s clear to me that I’m just missing a few bits and pieces on this one. This one is somewhat challenging to add humor to. I would appreciate any suggestions that could insert some hahas into this while keeping the tone as it is.

In any case, I’ve reworked option 3 in an attempt to close the gap.

Thanks for the continued feedback. :)
Last edited by Candensia on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am

For option three, I would describe something that the nurse is doing, so it doesn't seem so short.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am

Sacara wrote:For option three, I would describe something that the nurse is doing, so it doesn't seem so short.

Good idea, I’ve gone ahead and tacked something in.

Also edited option 2 slightly.

Reworded option 2 slightly.

Reworded the speakers’ description in option 3.

How are we looking now?
Last edited by Candensia on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Candensia wrote:
Sacara wrote:For option three, I would describe something that the nurse is doing, so it doesn't seem so short.

Good idea, I’ve gone ahead and tacked something in.

Also edited option 2 slightly.

Reworded option 2 slightly.

Reworded the speakers’ description in option 3.

How are we looking now?

quite a bit better, but maybe a teensy weensy bit more humour? :P
(specifically in option 3)
Last edited by Krogon on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Options 2 and 3 have been considerably reworked.

Sure, to accommodate that, I've rewritten option 3 on the back-end. I've also rewritten option 2 considerably.

Subsequently, I've updated the draft version, and I've gone all-out this time.

Thanks for the continued feedback! :lol:
Last edited by Candensia on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Option 3 made me laugh this time, as did Option 2. I think you've nailed the humor aspect.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 am

Agree, this is looking very good.

Not 100% on the title though.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 am

I'm a little surprised by that, CWA. :P
ed: talked it over with Candensia, apparently he didn't even realize the title doubles as a crude sex joke.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 am

Jutsa wrote:I'm a little surprised by that, CWA. :P
ed: talked it over with Candensia, apparently he didn't even realize the title doubles as a crude sex joke.
Am I missing something? I didn’t realize there was a joke in the title...
Commended by SC #382

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?