NATION

PASSWORD

Issue 545 - Expats on the Electoral Roll?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
VW53Aland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Issue 545 - Expats on the Electoral Roll?

Postby VW53Aland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:33 am

I totally disagree with the outcome of this issue.

If people live and register in another country, they get voting rights in that country and they no longer hold those rights in the country they have left. This is pretty normal all over the world. The only exception that comes to my mind, after an incident in the Netherlands earlier this year, is: Turkey.
So, how is it that agreeing with common practise and not letting people who do not live or register in your country, raise corruption by 34%!?!?!?!

@admin/moderator: If this post in the wrong section, please move it to the proper section. I couldn't find the section where all issues are to be discussed. Thank you.
Last edited by VW53Aland on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
East Pacifican for life

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 am

You're looking for the forum titled "Got Issues?", and specifically the Unusual Issue Effects thread. Please read the first post of that thread before making any complaints. You'll need the exact option that you picked and the date you picked it.
Last edited by Phydios on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am

VW53Aland wrote:I totally disagree with the outcome of this issue.

If people live and register in another country, they get voting rights in that country and they no longer hold those rights in the country they have left. This is pretty normal all over the world. The only exception that comes to my mind, after an incident in the Netherlands earlier this year, is: Turkey.
So, how is it that agreeing with common practise and not letting people who do not live or register in your country, raise corruption by 34%!?!?!?!

@admin/moderator: If this post in the wrong section, please move it to the proper section. I couldn't find the section where all issues are to be discussed. Thank you.

Expats and citizens are different, though. I also find it weird that even 3rd generation Turkish immigrants in Europe can vote in the Turkish elections, even though they have never lived in Turkey except for brief vacations, and many of them don't even speak Turkish.

But how about Turkish expats who reside in a foreign country for a brief period?

That issue you mentioned is also about expats. Not about 3rd generation immigrants born and raised somewhere else.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

VW53Aland
Bureaucrat

Postby VW53Aland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

@Phydios: Thanks for your kind explanation.
And @Whoevermovedthistopic: Thank you.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But how about Turkish expats who reside in a foreign country for a brief period?
Danke für deine Erklärung.
If people are temporarily living and working abroad, they usually do not change their nationality. Most of the time, people are only allowed to do so for a limited amount of time also. They are still subject of the country they temporarily left and therefore still have the right to vote in that country. The problem with Turkey is that they think of all Turks as their citizens, even if they plan to never return to Turkey. (And the secondary problem is that the Dutch government apparently allows people to have two or more different nationalities - though I haven't figured out yet what my position/viewpoint is on that matter.)

However, I believe that if one leaves a country to go and live in another country for a longer period of time (or as far as oneself knows, maybe even for an infinite time with no plans to return in the foreseeable future), then one should be considered a subject of their new country and exchange their nationality, gain rights (incl. possibly the right to vote) in that new country, while losing their rights in their old country. One shouldn't be allowed to vote in every country they have ever visited.
East Pacifican for life

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

VW53Aland wrote:(And the secondary problem is that the Dutch government apparently allows people to have two or more different nationalities - though I haven't figured out yet what my position/viewpoint is on that matter.)
I don't think it's the Dutch government's business to decide who is or isn't allowed to have Turkish nationality.

Let the Dutch decide what it takes to have Dutch nationality and the Turkish decide what it takes to have Turkish nationality. If that leads to some overlap, then so be it. If some people are being granted Turkish nationality who really obviously shouldn't, then that's a Turkish problem for the Turkish government to solve.

VW53Aland
Bureaucrat

Postby VW53Aland » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 am

Trotterdam wrote:I don't think it's the Dutch government's business to decide who is or isn't allowed to have Turkish nationality.
No, not so specifically. But the Dutch government could decide whether or not they want to uphold a system in which people are allowed to have a say (by voting) in a country they are no longer part of. The Dutch government could enforce a "You can't have your cake and eat it"-policy. You are Dutch (on paper and have the same rights every Dutchman has) or you are not - it is as binary as that.

A government could make such a statement. Indeed, a government does not get to decide for another country's policies. But, to make a comparison, a government could for instance refuse to have a formal visit from a foreign president to make it clear they very much disapprove of that president's narcissistic, bigoted, omniphobic politics. ...even without getting to decide for that country's government. In a similar way, that government could disallow dual (or multiple) nationalities, to support the true Turkish people who should get what they (and they only) voted for.
East Pacifican for life

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:53 am

VW53Aland wrote:If people live and register in another country, they get voting rights in that country and they no longer hold those rights in the country they have left. This is pretty normal all over the world. The only exception that comes to my mind, after an incident in the Netherlands earlier this year, is: Turkey.

Not in Germany, until quite recently, though: German law on citizenship was originally based on ancestry rather than residence, so there were people -- many of them Turkish by ancestral nationality (and either Turks or Kurds by ethnicity], in fact -- whose families had been living in Germany for two or three generations but who were denied German citizenship.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:Not in Germany, until quite recently, though: German law on citizenship was originally based on ancestry rather than residence,
Way to convince people you're not Nazis, guys.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Not in Germany, until quite recently, though: German law on citizenship was originally based on ancestry rather than residence,
Way to convince people you're not Nazis, guys.

Nothing to do with Naziism. Lazy comparison.

Irish citizenship is the same. Even if you're not resident, you can claim citizenship based on your ancestry.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:07 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Way to convince people you're not Nazis, guys.

Nothing to do with Naziism. Lazy comparison.

Irish citizenship is the same. Even if you're not resident, you can claim citizenship based on your ancestry.

I think you got it backwards here. Bears Armed means that Germany used this to avoid giving citizenship to immigrant kids born in Germany - not to give German citizenship to people with German ancestry who did not reside in Germany.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?