NATION

PASSWORD

Hearsay Heresy

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Nabresh
Civilian

Founded: Jun 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Hearsay Heresy

Postby Nabresh » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 pm

So, this issue deals with out-of-court testimony given to police and whether or not it is admissible in court. (Hearsay)
There is also an option to bring back trial by combat.

My idea:
Why don't we equip police with body cameras or other recording gear? Nabreshi peacekeepers should be wearing GoAmateurs and wielding lapel mics. Then that can be admissible in court. Eyewitnesses' memories deteriorate over time anyway, and studies show that the longer it takes to get to a witness, the more the event may be fabricated, due to how human memory works. So Nabreshi courts should prefer on-the-scene testimony. And hey, it'll keep the police honest. Maybe it'd even make good TV!

Police now travel exclusively in surveillance vans, trailed by papparazzi.

I don't know what this would affect in the mechanics, but here are some rough ideas:
  • ^ law enforcement
  • ^ information technology
  • ^ integrity
  • ^ authoritarianism
  • ^ charmlessness
  • ^ conservatism
  • v civil rights
This could lead to a further expansion of the surveillance state later on, with cameras on public streets, in shops and public areas, and an eventual Big Brother-esque environment. I'm sure this path already exists, this could just be a link in it.

Anyway, I'm still new and learning everything, so please excuse me if this post isn't appropriate or useful.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 am

Nabresh wrote:So, this issue deals with out-of-court testimony given to police and whether or not it is admissible in court. (Hearsay)
There is also an option to bring back trial by combat.

My idea:
Why don't we equip police with body cameras or other recording gear? Nabreshi peacekeepers should be wearing GoAmateurs and wielding lapel mics. Then that can be admissible in court. Eyewitnesses' memories deteriorate over time anyway, and studies show that the longer it takes to get to a witness, the more the event may be fabricated, due to how human memory works. So Nabreshi courts should prefer on-the-scene testimony. And hey, it'll keep the police honest. Maybe it'd even make good TV!

Police now travel exclusively in surveillance vans, trailed by papparazzi.

I don't know what this would affect in the mechanics, but here are some rough ideas:
  • ^ law enforcement
  • ^ information technology
  • ^ integrity
  • ^ authoritarianism
  • ^ charmlessness
  • ^ conservatism
  • v civil rights
This could lead to a further expansion of the surveillance state later on, with cameras on public streets, in shops and public areas, and an eventual Big Brother-esque environment. I'm sure this path already exists, this could just be a link in it.

Anyway, I'm still new and learning everything, so please excuse me if this post isn't appropriate or useful.

Thanks for the well thought-out post.

I'd say no to this, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the question of police body cameras is already covered with more detail and specificity in 595: Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Secondly, and more importantly, it's generally not considered a goal for issues to be made more comprehensive with changes. There's ALWAYS going to be more possible approaches, and it shouldn't be considered good writing just to include as many as can be thought of. Rather, an issue simply needs to be narratively complete at the point of delivery, and almost always adding an extra option will cause a significant decrease on overall issue readability. For a new option to be added it either needs to add a unique angle on humour/satire, or it needs to address a significant narrative deficit that may have occurred either through oversight or through changing values/technologies since an issue was conceived. Here, the proposed option doesn't meet those bars, so isn't a needed change.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?