NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[SUBMITTED] Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Woo, another issue idea from me!

Context: So for these past decade or so, Myanmar has suffered blackouts rather frequently. Problem was, we have enough natural gas for everyone, but the exports (especially to China) was so excessive that we don't have enough for our OWN people.

Current Draft: 9th

[title] Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

[validity] Medium-High Economic Freedom, Large Mining Industry?
[policy] Possibly No Climate Treaty?

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the newspapers when a huge power failure ground @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, resulting in dark streets, no TV time, and uncooled drinks. It was then traced back to the power plants not having enough fuel to provide electricity, which turned out to be because they are exported to other countries. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "I've come to talk with you again!" said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me!" He cleared his throat before going on, "Anyway, we have the fossil fuel reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Conch and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources. They have too much of a free rein on our resources! For the greatness of our nation, you should bring nationalization into these depots. It's the only way we can be sure that we got what we have. Plus, think of the positive effects it might have - we only need to mine what we need! The excess can stay excess without selling them for the almighty.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely fuel depots

[option 2] "Oh you fool- friends, you do not know," said @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Conch, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract @@NATION@@'s resources. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely frack your land? Those drills can only reach so far, you know!"
[effect] all @@NATION@@’s oil rigs are belong to Multinational Companies

[option 3] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, cranking a bright and white dynamo-operated torchlight with her hands, "Why do we have to rely so much on these polluting sources of energy when there are other alternatives - solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? So many options out there that would make these depleting resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!" She then stopped operating the torchlight and cracked her knuckles.
[validity] Only for Low Eco-Friendliness and/or having no Alternative Energy.
[effect] @@CAPITAL@@ gets surplus energy during typhoons

[option 4] "Actually, I have a radical idea," intervenes a random citizen who smells very strongly of diesel, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we just get our own? See, I have a big generator back in my home, and these are all the rage in my neighbourhood. There were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but they quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead just encourage the use of generators. Hey, if these corporations love money so much, we might as well give it directly to them for a little power!"
[effect] @@NATIONDEMONYM@@ walked restlessly as the sounds of generators echoes

[validity] Medium-High Economic Freedom, Large Mining Industry?

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the newspapers when a huge power failure ground @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, resulting in dark streets, no TV time, and uncooled drinks. It was then traced back to the power plants not having enough fuel to provide electricity, which turned out to be because they are exported to other countries. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "I've come to talk with you again!" said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me!" He cleared his throat before going on, "Anyway, we have the fossil fuel reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Conch and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! They have too much of a free rein on our resources! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. Just send a few of our boys to monitor these kickbacks - to make well sure that they will send their earnings, and the resources, back to the people.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely fuel depots

[option 2] "As usual, allow me," interjects @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Rockingham, a Geography teacher from the @@CAPITAL@@ high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. See, human geography has suggested that we bring nationalization into this. It's the only way we can be sure that we got what we have. Plus, think of the positive effects it might have - we only need to mine what we need! The excess can stay excess without selling them for the almighty @@NATIONALCURRENCY@@. Win-win, yes?"
[effect] the nation's electrical grid stops dead at its borders

[option 3] "Oh wait, you don’t want to do that, my friends," said @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Conch, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract @@NATION@@'s resources. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely frack your land? Those drills can only reach so far, you know!"

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, cranking a bright and white dynamo-operated torchlight with her hands, "Why do we have to rely so much on these polluting sources of energy when there are other alternatives - solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? So many options out there that would make these depleting resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!" She then stopped operating the torchlight and cracked her knuckles.

[option 5] "Actually, I have a radical idea," intervenes a random citizen who smells very strongly of diesel, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? See, I have a big generator back in my home, and these are all the rage in my neighbourhood. There were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but they quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead just encourage the use of generators. Buy fuel straight from these money-loving corporations, then you have your own power!"
[effect] every morning was great in @@NATION@@ until the soot attacked

[title]Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

[validity] Medium-High Economic Freedom, High Corruption

[option 1] "I've come to talk with you again!" said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me!" He cleared his throat before going on, "Anyway, we have the fossil fuel reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Conch and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! They have too much of a free rein on our resources! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor these kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings- and the resources, back to the people.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely coal depots

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Rockingham, a Geography teacher from the @@CAPITAL@@ high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. We can surely strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take most of the fossil fuels, while the corporations can get most of the earnings. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win!"
[effect] it’s not uncommon to see the G-men and the CEOs grudgingly sharing the same office space

[option 3] "Oh wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Conch, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract the @@NATION@@'s resources. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely frack your land? Those drills can only reach so far, you know!"

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, cranking a bright and white dynamo-operated torchlight with her hands, "Why do we have to rely so much on these polluting sources of energy when there are other alternatives - solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? So many options out there that would make these depleting resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!" She then stopped operating the torchlight and cracked her knuckles.

[option 5] "Actually, I have a radical idea," intervenes a random citizen who smells very strongly of diesel, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? See, I have a big generator back in my home, and these are all the rage in my neighbourhood. There were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but they quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead just encourage the use of generators. Buy fuel straight from these money-loving corporations, then you have your own power!"

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, resulting in failed street lamps, traffic jams, and dairy products going bad. It was traced back to the power plants not having enough fuel to provide electricity, which turned out to be because they are exported to other countries. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me!" He cleared his throat before going on, "Anyway, we have the fossil fuel reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Conch and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! They have too much of a free rein on our resources! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor these kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings- and the resources, back to the people.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely coal depots

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Rockingham, a Geography teacher from the @@CAPITAL@@ high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. We can surely strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take most of the fossil fuels, while the corporations can get most of the earnings. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win!"
[effect] it’s not uncommon to see the G-men and the CEOs grudgingly sharing the same office space

[option 3] "Oh wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Conch, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract the @@NATION@@'s resources. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely frack your land? Those drills can only reach so far, you know!"

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, resulting in failed street lamps, traffic jams, and melted ice-creams. It was traced back to the power plants not having enough fuel to provide electricity, which turned out to be because they are exported to other countries. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me!" He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor these kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely gas extractors

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a Geography teacher from the nearby high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 75% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 25% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win!"

[option 3] "Oh wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely frack your land? Those drills can only reach so far, you know!"

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a bright and white dynamo-operated torchlight, "Why do we have to rely so much on this polluting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? So many options out there that would make these depleting resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!" She then stopped operating the torchlight and cracked her knuckles.
[effect] @@CAPITAL@@ has been declared off-limits for planes due to the towering windmills

[option 5] "Actually, I got another idea," intervenes @@RANDOMNAME5@@, a citizen who owns his own generator, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? These big generators are all the rage in my neighbourhood. Sure, there were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but neighbours quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead install a generator for every home. Say it with me: I GOT THE POWER!"
[effect] the household with a generator is the head of a neighbourhood

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, resulting in failed street lamps, traffic jams, and melted ice-creams. It was traced back to the power plants not having enough fuel to provide electricity, which turned out to be because they are exported to other countries. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me! " He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor these kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding lonely gas extractors

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a Geography teacher from the nearby high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 75% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 25% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win!"

[option 3] "Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! Gave us more freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action to freely mine on your land?"
[effect] all @@NATION@@’s mines are belong to Transnational Companies

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a bright and white dynamo-operated torchlight, "Why do we have to rely so much on this polluting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? So many options out there that would make these depleting resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!" She then stopped operating the torchlight and cracked her knuckles.
[effect] @@CAPITAL@@ has been declared off-limits for planes due to the towering windmills

[option 5] "Actually, I got another idea," intervenes @@RANDOMNAME5@@, a citizen who owns his own generator, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? These big generators are all the rage in my neighbourhood. Sure, there were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but neighbours quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead install a generator for every home. Say it with me: I GOT THE POWER!"
[effect] the household with a generator is the head of a neighbourhood

[validity] Strong Mining Industry, Medium-High Economic Freedom, High Corruption, Computers not Banned.

[desc] An all-caps headline took over the next morning’s newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, ranging from failed street lamps and air conditioning, to server downtimes and melted ice-creams. You are once again bothered by this problem in your candlelit office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me! " He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, and I have these here documents to prove it! You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crack down on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor these kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a Geography teacher from the nearby high school, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 50% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 50% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win!"

[option 3] "Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, his belt about to unbuckle itself, "Those papers are utter bollocks. We promise to pay you back in cash… soon! So yes, stick to giving us the freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us more action on your coal mines?"

[effect] insomnia is a great trade-off for getting reliable electricity

[validity] Strong Mining Industry, Medium-High Economic Freedom, Cars Not Banned?, High Corruption, Computers not Banned.

[desc] A huge headline took over the next morning’s newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, ranging from failed street lamps and air conditioning, to server downtimes and melted ice-creams. You are once again bothered by this problem in your office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me! " He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, with leaked documents proving that profits and the gas itself are being transferred to other big countries. You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crackdown on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor any kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding gas extractors

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a local teacher of Geography and History, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring socialism or communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 50% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 50% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win! Wait… make it 60-40. Or 70-30… 80-20… Oh, somebody stop me!"

[option 3] "Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, who just had his 4th meal of the day, "You gotta see this as stupid and incompetent people not being able to navigate in total darkness. Those papers are utter bollocks, we promise to pay you back in cash… soon! So yes, stick to giving us the freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us a discount on those jade that your mines produce?"

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a dynamo-operated torchlight, "Why do we have to rely so much on this pollutanting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? The point is, there are so many options out there that it would make these depletable resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!"

[option 5] "Actually, I got another idea," intervenes @@RANDOMNAME5@@, a citizen who owns his own generator, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? These big generators are all the rage in my neighbourhood. Sure, there were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but neighbors quickly shut up when I hook up their homes to my Giver of Power. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead install a generator for every home. Hey, if you can’t pay for petrol, it’s your own fault now."
[effect] citizens spend countless nights with insomnia while traffic light and streetlights are run by nearby neighbors

[validity] Strong Mining Industry, Medium-High Economic Freedom, Cars Not Banned?, High Corruption

[desc] A huge headline took over the next morning’s newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, ranging from failed traffic lights and street lamps, to several office buildings not getting the air conditioning they need. You are once again bothered by this problem in your office.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me! " He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, with leaked documents proving that profits and the gas itself are being transferred to other big countries. You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crackdown on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor any kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.
[effect] half of @@NATION@@’s security guards and police are transferred to guarding gas extractors

[option 2] "Not going far enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a local teacher of Geography and History, "The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring socialism or communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 50% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 50% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win! Wait… make it 60-40. Or 70-30… 80-20… Oh, somebody stop me!"

[option 3] "Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, who just had his 4th meal of the day, "You gotta see this as stupid and incompetent people not being able to navigate in total darkness. Those papers are utter bollocks, we promise to pay you back in cash… soon! So yes, stick to giving us the freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us a discount on those jade that your mines produce?"

[option 4] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a dynamo-operated torchlight, "Why do we have to rely so much on this pollutanting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? The point is, there are so many options out there that it would make these depletable resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!"

[option 5] "Actually, I got another idea," intervenes @@RANDOMNAME5@@, a citizen who owns his own generator, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? These big generators are all the rage in my neighbourhood. Sure, there were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but neighbors quickly shut up when I hook up their home to my power source. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead install a generator for every home. Hey, if you can’t pay the petrol, it’s your own fault now."
[effect] citizens spend countless nights with insomnia while traffic light and streetlights are run by nearby neighbors

[validity] Strong Mining Industry, Medium-High Foreign Aid, Cars Not Banned?, High Corruption, High Wealth Gap, Low Eco-Friendliness.

[desc] A huge headline took over the next morning’s newspapers when a huge accident in @@CAPITAL@@ resulted in 60 crashed cars, 88 injuries, and a roadside tree slightly uprooted. Investigators traced it back to the traffic lights and roadlights being disabled for a few hours, which was due to the power failure, which was in turn because the power plant did not have enough natural gas to run the infrastructure. You have once again been summoned to deal with this.

[option 1] "Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again," said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, "Now, what did I tell you people about this snowballing into this? I have warned you all, but do you all listen? Now we get the darkness!" He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, "Anyway, we have the natural gas, and we have the energy, but guess what? You decided to sell this stuff to Brancaland to benefit them AND use that money for yourself. @@LEADER@@, it’s time to cut ties with them and bring back our natural resources back to us if you want the sound of silence in your office."
[effect] @@NATION@@’s gas pipelines to other nations have been blown up

[option 2] "Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend," said @@RANDOMNAME2@@, an ambassador of Brancaland, who just had his 4th meal of the day, "You gotta see this as stupid and incompetent people not being able to navigate in total darkness. I will say, let Darwin take its course, and stick to giving us the natural gas that we so abus- err, I mean, need! With that said… how about giving us a discount on those jade that your mines produce?"
[effect] all @@NATION@@’s mines are belong to foreigners

[option 3] "This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?" wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a dynamo-operated torchlight, "Why do we have to rely so much on this pollutanting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? The point is, there are so many options out there that it would make these depletable resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!"

[option 4] "Actually, I got another idea," intervenes @@RANDOMNAME4@@, a citizen who owns his own generator, "If we can no longer rely on the government to provide the energy, why don’t we provide our own? These big generators are all the rage in my neighbourhood. Sure, there were some noise and air pollution complaints for using these diesel-guzzlers, but neighbors quickly shut up when I hook up their home to my power source. I think you should give up on a power plant, and instead install a generator for every home. Hey, if you can’t pay the petrol, it’s your own fault now."
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:43 am, edited 25 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:18 pm

The desc is oddly-written and a bit long, but even with how long it is, we still don't find out until the options that the problem is due to exporting natural gas. I think this title and this premise are a good combo, though.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm wondering how many nations have this extremely specific validity requirement.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:The desc is oddly-written and a bit long, but even with how long it is, we still don't find out until the options that the problem is due to exporting natural gas. I think this title and this premise are a good combo, though.

I will try to shorten that. Thanks! :D

Sacara wrote:I'm wondering how many nations have this extremely specific validity requirement.

Actually, there's quite plenty from what I have seen so far. Nations like Bright Angel has the stats I was talking about. (High Foreign Aid, Corruption, Mining, Automobile...)
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Valentine Z wrote:"Anyway, we have the natural gas, and we have the energy, but guess what? You decided to sell this stuff to Brancaland to benefit them AND use that money for yourself."
This violates player autonomy. I never made such a decision.

Instead, suggest that private companies (where they exist and have enough freedom to operate, of course) decided on their own accord that selling the gas to other countries was more profitable than using it locally. Then ask @@LEADER@@ to intervene and regulate those companies, or maybe end up supporting them instead in the name of the economy.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:"Anyway, we have the natural gas, and we have the energy, but guess what? You decided to sell this stuff to Brancaland to benefit them AND use that money for yourself."
This violates player autonomy. I never made such a decision.

Instead, suggest that private companies (where they exist and have enough freedom to operate, of course) decided on their own accord that selling the gas to other countries was more profitable than using it locally. Then ask @@LEADER@@ to intervene and regulate those companies, or maybe end up supporting them instead in the name of the economy.

Oh, oops. Right, I got an idea for that now, thanks! :D

I will put it up in Draft Numero Dos.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Paflava
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

sugisidthuspx

Postby Paflava » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm

I think it's quite a good idea but I think it needs to be rewritten to be more easy to read.
Last edited by Paflava on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Paflava wrote:I think it's quite a good idea but I think it needs to be rewritten to be more easy to read.

Ohh, err, do evaluate. Which parts do you think are hard to read, or have run-on sentences?

Ignore the description, because yeah, I'm going to fix that.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 pm

I've come to talk with you again...

Surely Myanmar's situation with mass blackouts is already a serious enough problem on it's own, and far more intuitive, than this massive charade with the traffic accident? The bonus is that the car validity won't be needed anymore.

Otherwise I like this issue quite a bit. The options make sense (though some of those effect lines need clearing up- except option 3's which is wonderful), which is nice.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Chan Island wrote:I've come to talk with you again...

Surely Myanmar's situation with mass blackouts is already a serious enough problem on it's own, and far more intuitive, than this massive charade with the traffic accident? The bonus is that the car validity won't be needed anymore.

Otherwise I like this issue quite a bit. The options make sense (though some of those effect lines need clearing up- except option 3's which is wonderful), which is nice.

Hi there! :D

I thought the car accident will be the build-up to the issue. Because I figured that you will need something, or else this freakout will be over one-of-the-many blackouts that they are having.

I'll see what I can do.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 pm

But can't @@NAME@@ import from a third country?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:But can't @@NAME@@ import from a third country?

Suspension of Disbelief? :P

Hehe, I kid. I thought of a better concept. Maybe instead of a run-of-the-mill blackout, maybe the first major blackout. Then I will talk about how "because our gas goes to greedy corporations, NOT the people!" claim later.

So they thought have all the gas they need, until the day the blackout happened.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:20 am

Sorry if I bumped too early, but hey, Draft 2 is out! I made the changes to the description to make sure it's not long-winded, and also Economic Freedom plays a bigger role, as Trotterdam has suggested about player autonomy.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:26 am

Validity needs to include: not socialist, not autark. You can drop the bit about cars, they're no longer relevant (okay, traffic lights are usually only necessary where you have cars, but bicycles use them too, although they mostly use them to avoid cars... - maybe best to just drop the mention of traffic lights and replace them with some more universal public amenity).

Garden at 6th Mile Road
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Garden at 6th Mile Road » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 am

Yikes! The cars bit was a leftover from the previous draft. Oversight on my part, so I'll strip that away.

I'll do the changes when I'm back home. Mobile's no fun and all that fluff.
Factbooks. No NS Stats for this nation!

• Self-proclaimed King of Forum 7, a.k.a. Forum 7 dweller that your mom warns you about. (Got inspiration from Folknoren).
• Favorite catchphrase: Nani the f**k, so many ninjas.
• A dimensional rift created from nuclear bombs.
• Violently violated the Laws of Thermodynamics with shoddy writing.
Ruled by * takes a deep breath *
Holly De Stralend en Wonderbaarlijk Licht Koningin Aurora Symantha Vreugde Lavender Astrid Lilac Marlie Nova Radiant Starlight.
(SSCG(3) ↑TREE(3) g64)! Joules,
g64 = Graham's Number, TREE(n) = TREE sequence, SSCG(n) = Friedman's SSCG function, n! = Factorial, and an b = Knuth's Up-Arrow Notation.

Alterrum
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2011

Postby Alterrum » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 am

Some thoughts on making the issue more varied.

Economic freedom should have no bearing on the issue here - a command economy can be undemocratic as well, and there's no reason why corrupt apparatchiks can't export energy for personal enrichment to the detriment of their nation. Therefore, I'd recommend writing another option to reflect this scenario as well, and adding private industry as a qualifier to the first three options only.

Also, there's no reason why this couldn't occur in a nation that runs 100% on renewables (for example, if they were constructed with the help of some outside party which demanded some of the production capacity for itself), so I'd drop the issue-wide mining industry requirement and instead add it to the first 4 options, and then add additional options to reflect this issue in the case of a renewables-based economy. Just to note, option 4 is still valid in the case of a fossil-powered economy, as it simply introduces another avenue for power generation (you might include the inverse in the case of the renewable-based economy, i.e. "We need to bring back extracting fossils to solve our energy crisis!").
Last edited by Alterrum on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am

Alterrum wrote:Some thoughts on making the issue more varied.

Economic freedom should have no bearing on the issue here - a command economy can be undemocratic as well, and there's no reason why corrupt apparatchiks can't export energy for personal enrichment to the detriment of their nation. Therefore, I'd recommend writing another option to reflect this scenario as well, and adding private industry as a qualifier to the first three options only.

Also, there's no reason why this couldn't occur in a nation that runs 100% on renewables (for example, if they were constructed with the help of some outside party which demanded some of the production capacity for itself), so I'd drop the issue-wide mining industry requirement and instead add it to the first 4 options, and then add additional options to reflect this issue in the case of a renewables-based economy. Just to note, option 4 is still valid in the case of a fossil-powered economy, as it simply introduces another avenue for power generation (you might include the inverse in the case of the renewable-based economy, i.e. "We need to bring back extracting fossils to solve our energy crisis!").

Ooh, thanks for the feedback! Ahh, I'll see what I can do.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am

Hello, Valentine! Nice to see you again! :)

Valentine Z wrote:Woo, another issue idea from me!

Context: So for these past decade or so, Myanmar has suffered blackouts rather frequently. Problem was, we have enough natural gas for everyone, but the exports (especially to China) was so excessive that we don't have enough for our OWN people.

Current Draft: 2.1 - Electric Boogaloo

[validity] Strong Mining Industry, Medium-High Economic Freedom, Cars Not Banned?, High Corruption, Computers not Banned.

[desc] A huge headline took over the next morning’s newspapers when a huge power failure has grinded @@CAPITAL@@’s activities to a halt, ranging from failed street lamps and air conditioning, to server downtimes and melted ice-creams. You are once again bothered by this problem in your office.

I'd say you should avoid using the word huge twice here. Also, I think the idiom "to grind to a halt" is intransitive, not transitive. But I might be wrong.

Valentine Z wrote:[option 1] “Well, so glad I’ve come to talk with you again,” said Simon @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Minister of Energy, “Because now we got the darkness, and only now you all will listen to me! ” He cleared his throat before getting back to the tangent, “Anyway, we have the natural gas reserves, so we should have the energy. Guess what? All those corporations like Seashell and Epsilon Mobil are leeching our natural resources, with leaked documents proving that profits and the gas itself are being transferred to other big countries. You gave them too much of a free rein to do whatever, @@LEADER@@! For the greatness of our nation, you should crackdown on these corporations. We have to send our boys to monitor any kickbacks, to make well sure that they will send their earnings to the government.

I think it is customary to use present tense in options. So instead of "blabla said X" you could say "blabla says X."

with leaked documents proving that profits and the gas itself are being transferred to other big countries.

When did this happen? Such a breach of conduct would have its own issue, I think. Remember, your big issue is the blackout here. Why introduce an additional problem of illegal stuff here?

crackdown --> crack down

And this option should be 2 lines shorter, I think.

Valentine Z wrote:[option 2] ”Not going far enough!” exclaims @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a local teacher of Geography and History, “The fact of the matter is, our resources are too precious to be in the hands of these greedy corporations alone. Now now, before you harp on me, I am not suggesting that we bring socialism or communism into this, or have the government take over them completely. But surely, we can strike an agreement with these companies? Since this is our land, we will take 50% of the gas and its earnings, while the corporations can get 50% of the remaining pie. We get the energy, they get the cash! It’s a win-win! Wait… make it 60-40. Or 70-30… 80-20… Oh, somebody stop me!”

Again, this option could be about 1 line shorter.

Valentine Z wrote:[option 3] “Wait, wait, you don’t want to do that, my friend,” said @@RANDOMNAME3@@, CEO of Epsilon Mobil, who just had his 4th meal of the day, “You gotta see this as stupid and incompetent people not being able to navigate in total darkness. Those papers are utter bollocks, we promise to pay you back in cash… soon! So yes, stick to giving us the freedom to extract the natural gas. That way, we can abus- err, I mean, give more to your people, see? With that said… how about also giving us a discount on those jade that your mines produce?”

What is funny about having your 4th meal? You mean this guy is not only greedy, but also gluttonous? :p

I think you could make a better joke there, though. (Also, if you refer to him as "he" you should also have @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. If you don't want to specify gender, you should also use macros for pronouns, like @@HIS@@.)

Also, overall I find this particular option a bit unfocused, all over the place. What does this CEO want, exactly? Also, why does he bring up the issue of jade mines? Why would he be interested in jade? It's not even that expensive. Uranium or a similar material would make more sense, I think.

Valentine Z wrote:[option 4] “This all got me thinking, why haven’t we switched to clean energy yet?” wonders @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Starlight, who navigated through your office with a dynamo-operated torchlight, “Why do we have to rely so much on this pollutanting source of energy when there are other alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal… need I go on? The point is, there are so many options out there that it would make these depletable resources obsolete. Bring on the solarpunk!”

As someone also said, such blackouts could also happen in a nation that relies on green energy sources.

pollutanting --> polluting? pollutant?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Hello, Valentine! Nice to see you again! :)

1) I'd say you should avoid using the word huge twice here. Also, I think the idiom "to grind to a halt" is intransitive, not transitive. But I might be wrong.

2) I think it is customary to use present tense in options. So instead of "blabla said X" you could say "blabla says X."

with leaked documents proving that profits and the gas itself are being transferred to other big countries.

When did this happen? Such a breach of conduct would have its own issue, I think. Remember, your big issue is the blackout here. Why introduce an additional problem of illegal stuff here?

crackdown --> crack down

And this option should be 2 lines shorter, I think.

3) Again, this option could be about 1 line shorter.

4) What is funny about having your 4th meal? You mean this guy is not only greedy, but also gluttonous? :p

I think you could make a better joke there, though. (Also, if you refer to him as "he" you should also have @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. If you don't want to specify gender, you should also use macros for pronouns, like @@HIS@@.)

Also, overall I find this particular option a bit unfocused, all over the place. What does this CEO want, exactly? Also, why does he bring up the issue of jade mines? Why would he be interested in jade? It's not even that expensive. Uranium or a similar material would make more sense, I think.

5) As someone also said, such blackouts could also happen in a nation that relies on green energy sources.

pollutanting --> polluting? pollutant?

Hi there! And thank you very much for your valuable feedback! Edited your quote for formatting, nothing else, so let's get going! :P

1) Ahh, all right. I will have to use other words other than "huge", oops. More vocabulary and stuff.

2) I think I will have to re-write that. See below.

3) I will compact that. :)

4) For that, I was trying to say that he eats and consumes like a greedy, erm... pig. A capitalist fat cat stereotype. I guess I can use some other describers to talk about how rich he is.

4.1) For the jade thing, I guess I can make use of the mining industry. RL example is also on how Myanmar's rubies and other gemstones are mined and given to the selected few instead of using the proper workforce and using the profit to better the nation.

5) Hahaha, yeah, that was quite a mistake. My autocorrect sort of failed.. :/
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 am

With all these lovely and constructive feedbacks I have received, I give you... Draft Drei.

Cut off some of the option lines, made the validity smaller, and instead of jade, the fat cat will now try to get his hands on coal or any other natural resources you have.

As for Frieden-und Freudenland's 2nd point, the illegality might need to stay there, because I want to make it so that power lines outages happen because there wasn't enough energy for the nation, and this happened because the gas was exported to the neighboring countries.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:02 pm

If you want to add a new angle to this, try environmentalists. Australia, for example, Australia has at least 100 years of coal reserves for herself and for overseas, but thanks to unrealistic sustainability targets, we can export coal but not use it for ourselves. South Australia is the worst at this with constant blackouts and 1,000 times the electricity prices of the rest of the country. To the point where Elon MMusk had to go and install a stupid lithium battery which was a colossal investment and produces hardly enough energy. And to make matters worse, the idiots greens, who are a minor political party, who for some reason, the government bows down to, ran an ad about how the rest of the country should be more like South Australia. (And that's before you consider that the whole electrical grid operates as one nationwide, so South Australia's self-rightous lunacy f$$ks up the rest of the country, and other states are also facing the same problems as South Australia, but not to the same extreme). Further, RE: description, I come from a climate where 40°C weather with extreme humidity is the norm, as well as humidity through the roof, and I have experienced extreme cold and snow. Whilst a 40°C degree day feels like an oven when you're outside, and even worse in a non-ventelated un-airconditioned small room, atleast it's not a cold climate where you get in cold climates, and dire consiquences for not doing so.
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:If you want to add a new angle to this, try environmentalists. Australia, for example, Australia has at least 100 years of coal reserves for herself and for overseas, but thanks to unrealistic sustainability targets, we can export coal but not use it for ourselves. South Australia is the worst at this with constant blackouts and 1,000 times the electricity prices of the rest of the country. To the point where Elon MMusk had to go and install a stupid lithium battery which was a colossal investment and produces hardly enough energy. And to make matters worse, the idiots greens, who are a minor political party, who for some reason, the government bows down to, ran an ad about how the rest of the country should be more like South Australia. (And that's before you consider that the whole electrical grid operates as one nationwide, so South Australia's self-rightous lunacy f$$ks up the rest of the country, and other states are also facing the same problems as South Australia, but not to the same extreme). Further, RE: description, I come from a climate where 40°C weather with extreme humidity is the norm, as well as humidity through the roof, and I have experienced extreme cold and snow. Whilst a 40°C degree day feels like an oven when you're outside, and even worse in a non-ventelated un-airconditioned small room, atleast it's not a cold climate where you get in cold climates, and dire consiquences for not doing so.

Holy shoot, this all sounds like the problem we are currently having. We have the resources, but guess what? Most of them are being exported to somewhere else...

Dang, let me see what I else can come up with. I think the existing solarpunk option would make it environmentally friendly, but what else can I have? :)
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If you want to add a new angle to this, try environmentalists. Australia, for example, Australia has at least 100 years of coal reserves for herself and for overseas, but thanks to unrealistic sustainability targets, we can export coal but not use it for ourselves. South Australia is the worst at this with constant blackouts and 1,000 times the electricity prices of the rest of the country. To the point where Elon MMusk had to go and install a stupid lithium battery which was a colossal investment and produces hardly enough energy. And to make matters worse, the idiots greens, who are a minor political party, who for some reason, the government bows down to, ran an ad about how the rest of the country should be more like South Australia. (And that's before you consider that the whole electrical grid operates as one nationwide, so South Australia's self-rightous lunacy f$$ks up the rest of the country, and other states are also facing the same problems as South Australia, but not to the same extreme). Further, RE: description, I come from a climate where 40°C weather with extreme humidity is the norm, as well as humidity through the roof, and I have experienced extreme cold and snow. Whilst a 40°C degree day feels like an oven when you're outside, and even worse in a non-ventelated un-airconditioned small room, atleast it's not a cold climate where you get in cold climates, and dire consiquences for not doing so.

Holy shoot, this all sounds like the problem we are currently having. We have the resources, but guess what? Most of them are being exported to somewhere else...

Dang, let me see what I else can come up with. I think the existing solarpunk option would make it environmentally friendly, but what else can I have? :)

Well I am not opposed to sustainable technology, it is the inevitable future, however, we're rushing into it too much. Also, remember what I said about snow...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 am

Valentine Z wrote:

No the problem that we're having is that we have enough for ourselves AND for everyone else combined, and we can easily have enough for us AND for overseas without having to choose, but the environmentalists are metaphorically telling us to go f%%k ourselves. (The environmentalists don't want us to export either)
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:19 am

Australian rePublic wrote:No the problem that we're having is that we have enough for ourselves AND for everyone else combined, and we can easily have enough for us AND for overseas without having to choose, but the environmentalists are metaphorically telling us to go f%%k ourselves. (The environmentalists don't want us to export either)

So from what I understand, you guys have the resources, AND you guys are not exporting it too much, right? Just that the environmentalists are not allowing you all to use it?

Sorry if I took a while to understand. :/
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?