NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Missing the Lamarck

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Niyazovistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Corporate Police State

[DRAFT] Missing the Lamarck

Postby Niyazovistan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm

This is inspired by Trofim Lysenko, a Soviet biologist who rejected Mendelian genetics and attempted to apply Marxism to plants. It went just as well as you'd expect.

Description: Lysander Timurov, a controversial biologist from rural @@NAME@@ who denies Darwinian evolution, has arrived in @@CAPTIAL@@ to meet with you over something that will "revolutionize agriculture forever."

Validity: nation must have the 'autocracy' policy.

Option 1: Doctor Timurov bursts into your office and immediately dumps several folders of scientific papers on your desk. "My research shows well enough that both plants and animals' nature is entirely dependent on how they are raised, not their heritage! For example, a grass seed raised alongside wheat will grow into wheat, and a cat raised alongside dogs can survive on dog food. However, those 'educational experts' who slander me are brainwashed by decadent foreign science! Fire them all and ban their imperialist propaganda from our schools! Let my teachings guide the future farmers and biologists of @@NAME@@!"
Effect: @@DEMONYM@@ children are taught that The Ugly Duckling is biologically impossible.

Option 2: @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, one of Doctor Timurov's more... enthusiastic aides, takes the opportunity to raise @@HIS_1@@ voice. "The excellent Doctor Timurov makes a valid point, but we clearly can take it much farther! I believe that his policies can also be applied to human beings. If we potentially raise people from birth under the right circumstances, they can become the perfect soldiers! Of course, we need a research facility to do this. I've already pegged Mount @@ANIMAL@@ as a perfect location to build one: out of the way, isolated from foreign spies, and surrounded by villages full of potential vic- I mean volunteers!"
Effect: Underneath Mount @@ANIMAL@@, nobody ever goes in... and nobody ever comes out.

Option 3: @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, head of the @@DEMONYM@@ Department of Agriculture, storms in furiously. "You can't seriously believe that lunatic, can you?!" @@HE_2@@ blurts out. "These people are nutcases, every one of them! My cousin is as dumb as a bag of @@ANIMAL@@s and even he knows that animals can only pass on what they inherited! If you have an ounce of sense, @@LEADER@@, you'd kick this charlatan out of here, and make sure that children are taught well enough to never believe his drivel again!"
Effect: On the Origin of Species is required reading for all elementary school students.

Option 4: @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, the local representative of the Diabolical Advocates' Association of @@REGION@@, steps in to try and resolve the commotion. "Now, it isn't very fair to simply dismiss poor Doctor Timurov without giving him the opportunity to demonstrate, is it? I propose that the best way to resolve this is with a little competition between the two theories. Give Doctor Timurov and @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ a five-acre plot of land each, and let them manage it for the next few months. Whoever's theories produce the highest crop yields gets to write next year's biology textbooks. How does that sound, @@LEADER@@?"
Effect: The competition's live stream is a massive hit among those who love watching the grass grow.
Last edited by Niyazovistan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 am

Welcome to Got Issues!

This is a nifty idea, though definitely could use some work. Options 1 and 2 are a little bit long. Also, Lysander Timurov is said in the description to be from Maxtopia, yet in the option he rails against foreign science. I'd suggest making him a @@DENONYM@@ who rails against foreign science, or keep him as Maxtopian and then imply he is a bit of a snake oil salesman.

For option 4, I am sad to see the effect line doesn't make a joke along the lines of 'watching the grass grow'.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm

You've got some interesting ideas here, but the options (especially options 1 and 2) are a bit long, and I agree that having a Maxtopian biologist complain about foreign science doesn't quite work.

Effect line 1 is a bit confusing out of context and not that strong. Effect line 2, I like the concept behind it, but it's kind of long.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:26 pm

This issue is a bit too long
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Niyazovistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Corporate Police State

Postby Niyazovistan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I trimmed down the length of the first two options, cleaned up the first two effects, and made a better "watching the grass grow" joke.

Return to Got Issues?