NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Neither Pink Nor Blue

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 am

Hediacrana wrote:Three versions of option 2 here. I'd like to know which one people think I should use, or whether they have suggestions for a better one. The variant bits are in italics.

"Political correctness gone amok!" scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, president of the conservative @@CAPITAL@@ Family Values Institute. "You know, if you start showing acceptance to this bunch, you'll only encourage others to join their ranks. Instead, we need to make sure that our school curriculums are clear that a person's gender is either male or female and determined at conception by his or her chromosomes. No need to confuse the kids with details like intersex conditions and what have you."

This version is the best because of its cohesion.

Option 1 is so vanilla. I suggest that the author pepper that option's text with buzzwords. Just some ideas: oppression/oppressive, systemic, cisnormative, cishet, patriarchy, queer, LGBTQIA+, assigned, violence, gender non-conforming, transphobic, inclusive, delegitimize, marginalize, discriminatory, privilege, experience, binary, and exclusionary.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:36 am

Hediacrana wrote:Three versions of option 2 here. I'd like to know which one people think I should use, or whether they have suggestions for a better one. The variant bits are in italics.

"Political correctness gone amok!" scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, president of the conservative @@CAPITAL@@ Family Values Institute. "You know, if you start showing acceptance to this bunch, you'll only encourage others to join their ranks. Instead, we need to make sure that our school curriculums are clear that a person's gender is either male or female and determined at conception by his or her chromosomes. No need to confuse the kids with details like intersex conditions and what have you."

I think this one is the version that fits the rest of the text better. If you went for option 3, the choice would be much more about costs, and the other one is too legalese more fitting for a lawyer character than a conservative pressure group leader.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks, Marsupial Illuminati and Chan Island, for the feedback; I'm going to go with that version of option 2 then!

Marsupial Illuminati: I'm also looking into your suggestion regarding speaker 1.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 am

Okay, two versions of option 1. Again, I'd like to hear which one people like best (I have a slight preference for the first myself -- it is shorter, and I also think the text flows better). Additions are rendered in italics.

"It's about equality," states androgynous-looking petitioner Jessie Rivera, wearing a purple button that reads "They/Them/Theirs." "The current passport application process requires intersex and nonbinary folks to declare whether they are male or female, even if they don't identify as either! We may be a minority, but that does not mean it's right to sweep us under the rug and force us to hide who we are. It is time for @@NAME@@ to allow third gender designations on its birth certificates, passports and identity cards."

"It's about equality," states androgynous-looking petitioner Jessie Rivera, wearing a purple button that reads "They/Them/Theirs." "The current passport application process is needlessly exclusionary because it requires intersex and nonbinary folks to declare whether they are male or female, even if they don't identify as either! We may be a minority, but that does not mean it's right to sweep us under the rug and force us to hide who we are. It is time for @@NAME@@ to turn away from cisnormative systemic oppression and allow third gender designations on its birth certificates, passports and identity cards."
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
She/her.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 am

Hediacrana wrote:Okay, two versions of option 1. Again, I'd like to hear which one people like best (I have a slight preference for the first myself -- it is shorter, and I also think the text flows better). Additions are rendered in italics.

"It's about equality," states androgynous-looking petitioner Jessie Rivera, wearing a purple button that reads "They/Them/Theirs." "The current passport application process requires intersex and nonbinary folks to declare whether they are male or female, even if they don't identify as either! We may be a minority, but that does not mean it's right to sweep us under the rug and force us to hide who we are. It is time for @@NAME@@ to allow third gender designations on its birth certificates, passports and identity cards."

"It's about equality," states androgynous-looking petitioner Jessie Rivera, wearing a purple button that reads "They/Them/Theirs." "The current passport application process is needlessly exclusionary because it requires intersex and nonbinary folks to declare whether they are male or female, even if they don't identify as either! We may be a minority, but that does not mean it's right to sweep us under the rug and force us to hide who we are. It is time for @@NAME@@ to turn away from cisnormative systemic oppression and allow third gender designations on its birth certificates, passports and identity cards."

I agree with your own assessment. Choice 1 is better. They both say exactly the same thing, only the second choice just needlessly tacks on more words.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:37 am

All right, thanks Chan Island! :)

Given that FuF already said this one is good to go, I think I'm actually ready to submit now :)
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:39 am

55 comments and you still haven’t submitted?!?!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:49 am

Sacara wrote:55 comments and you still haven’t submitted?!?!

It's submitted now! :)
She/her.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 am

Yay! Good luck. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 pm

So I've decided to give this issue another go!

I understand it was initially picked but then dropped by an editor. I received the advise that it needed to include an option to allow many different possible gender markers beyond male and female, and that the whole issue could use a bit more humour to make it more interesting. (It was also pointed out that it might be good to include something on the bureaucratic mess trans people have to go through when they legally transition - but I think that would make a good follow-up issue to this one, so I'm keeping that idea separate for now).

I've introduced a Brancalandian tourist-angle to the whole thing to make room for a fourth perspective (a call for one third gender category, alongside an option that calls for multiple nonbinary genders) while also creating opportunity for more humour. Note that Canada, for which Brancaland is an analogue, is among the countries that allow third gender passports (that is, they have a single 'other' category, like other existing countries - there is currently no RL country I'm aware of that introduces a plurality of legal genders as asked for in the second option of this draft).

So here goes for the second attempt! I look forward to hearing what you think.
Last edited by Hediacrana on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/her.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 pm

I'd be interested in this issue from the perspective of binary gendered languages- Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, French, etc. Where there's no such thing as gender neutrality in those languages, all nouns (including inatimate objects) are either male or female
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I'd be interested in this issue from the perspective of binary gendered languages- Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, French, etc. Where there's no such thing as gender neutrality in those languages, all nouns (including inatimate objects) are either male or female

How languages deal with grammatical gender certainly is an interesting topic, but it is not really the same thing as the recognition of legal gender in official identity documents, so I don't think this is the right issue for delving into that.

-----------

I made a couple more edits. Anyone else want to comment?

I'd especially love to hear suggestions from some of the editors regarding the feasibility of this edition of this issue, in light of the feedback I received from USS Monitor earlier (referenced in the first post of this thread). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!
She/her.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Bump!

Any comments on this newest version - especially from editors - would be gratefully received.
She/her.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:17 am

It's a lot better than the original, but I can't help but feel that the first two options all basically just say "yes" in barely discernible ways. I'd say merge the two, and have the one speaker suggesting that all documents should have three options: male, female, or a write-in space.

I think de-emphasising the transgender part is good, and you should be talking more about gender spectrum in this issue. Broadly speaking, most trans people I've met identify as male or identify as female, it's just that their gender identity doesn't match society's phenotype-driven gender expectation. The "other" option is needed for those who don't identify with the gender binary at all.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's a lot better than the original, but I can't help but feel that the first two options all basically just say "yes" in barely discernible ways. I'd say merge the two, and have the one speaker suggesting that all documents should have three options: male, female, or a write-in space.

I think de-emphasising the transgender part is good, and you should be talking more about gender spectrum in this issue. Broadly speaking, most trans people I've met identify as male or identify as female, it's just that their gender identity doesn't match society's phenotype-driven gender expectation. The "other" option is needed for those who don't identify with the gender binary at all.

Thanks for the feedback! I tried to incorporate each of the points you mentioned - what do you think?
She/her.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:31 am

For sure, looks very solid now.

Can't promise publication, of course, but this is definitely now an issue that is publishable.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 am

I disapprove of the removal of the reference to ContraPoints.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 am

Huh, never heard of her till now.

I think the two options still need to be one option, but certainly a good reference should be kept where possible. Can she be worked in as the speaker to #1?

I mean, "the cisheteropatriarchal rug" is a great phrase, while the Jessie Bieber joke isn't that great. After all, poking fun at male pop stars for being effeminate is a bit 1990s, gone the way of mother-in-law jokes, and Justin isn't really an effeminate guy any more anyway. Maybe bring back the Whotuber and her rug, and let Bieber go.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:46 pm

All right, the unisex parka is out and the cisheteropatriarchal rug is back in :P Some other edits were also made, elaborating on the contrapoints reference. What do you think of the current version? Is this ready for submission?

(I'm rather glad about that little discussion between the two of you, because poking fun at 'feminine males' actually wasn't what I was trying to do in the first place. Good to be alerted to how easily that could be misconstrued.)
Last edited by Hediacrana on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
She/her.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Looks good to me, I pick option 3.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm

I do think there should be an option to trying to catalogize any gender identity. It could add that extra spice in it.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 pm

I'd be very grateful for additional feedback from editors on whether the current version - especially the first option - is ready for submission!
She/her.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Hediacrana wrote:I'd be very grateful for additional feedback from editors on whether the current version - especially the first option - is ready for submission!

Bump :)
She/her.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 pm

I'll try to take one more look at this later today or tomorrow. Been extraordinarily lazy despite all the stuff I've to do so yeah >__>
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I have only two minor things I can see:

1) In the first effect text, it should be @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ rather than just @@DEMONYM@@

2) This one is really a minor personal pet peeve, but is there any particular reason the first speaker has to be a YouTube star? I keep seeing that recently, and I don't understand how or why they keep getting inserted as if they had any business speaking in government without further explanation. Unless I'm holding hearings on the uses of social media or something, both they and their opinions have no business in my office. Is there a way to explain why I should care what they think, or how they are tied to the issue? Make them a stakeholder in some way (give them standing, in legal terms), and their use becomes valid.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?