NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Gay Men Held By Police

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:29 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Re: the Jesus on the cross thing, I'll tone it down again a little:

He gazes up adoringly at a semi-naked statuary depiction of his deity.

The same joke exists, but its a bit less deliberately inflammatory. I mean, implying a priest wants to suck off Jesus could easily be complained about as going too far, I think, and I say that as an atheist.

CWA - thank you for that. I almost posted in this topic yesterday, but decided that it was best to cool down a bit and not say something I'd regret. I appreciate satire and humour, but even so - was rather disturbed and (yes, even offended!) when I saw that option yesterday. I understand my Christian faith is often a subject of mockery - an "easy" target, as it were...and so I'm able to let most of this roll over me - I've even laughed at some of the satirical religious options in issues before now! But implying a sexual act with my God being the target...was not fun to read that. I'm only posting now because you did change it and I wanted to say thank you. I don't usually find trying to persuade someone to change their mind on something like this is a fruitful endeavour, so I appreciate you doing this. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for the thanks.

I'm quite happy to satirise all religion, without fear or favour, but there's a difference between respecting the right of Charlie Ebdo to mock without limits and choosing to do the same.

A little self-moderation goes a long way, right?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 am

I was less concerned about the old version being offensive to Christians specifically and more about it being a little too suggestive, regardless of who is involved. I think the current version is okay.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 am

I don't know why I started thinking of titles for this. You said you were happy, but my mind wandered. The first two are probably too far over the line for titles, but come on, Tears For Fears references and bondage jokes just doesn't come up every day.

Fears For Queers
Gay Men In Light Bondage
Man On Man Crime
Love Actually... Is Illegal
A Moment On The Lips
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

A Moment on the Lips is a title I'll have to stash away for future, for sure.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Thanks for the thanks.

I'm quite happy to satirise all religion, without fear or favour, but there's a difference between respecting the right of Charlie Ebdo to mock without limits and choosing to do the same.

A little self-moderation goes a long way, right?

I'm glad you toned it down. Don't get me wrong: I'm a stridently anti-theist atheist, but as you observe, this isn't Charlie Hebdo. NationStates issues have an end user at the end, and getting players angry about text in one of the options is counterproductive to that.

Luna Amore wrote:I don't know why I started thinking of titles for this. You said you were happy, but my mind wandered. The first two are probably too far over the line for titles, but come on, Tears For Fears references and bondage jokes just doesn't come up every day.

Fears For Queers
Gay Men In Light Bondage
Man On Man Crime
Love Actually... Is Illegal
A Moment On The Lips

Oh my...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Previous

Return to Got Issues?