NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Rogue One: A Satellite Story

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Rogue One: A Satellite Story

Postby Jutsa » Sat May 26, 2018 4:13 pm

So, I asked Drayxaso, and they agreed to let me take the reigns of this draft, and I have turned it into specifically a "privatized space industry" followup.
I hope this is good enough; if not, I'll gladly try to work with their old draft, or, not-so-gladly, shelf this away. :P

Draft 1.10
Title: Rogue One: A Satellite Story
The Issue: A new satellite firm named Jeb's Junkyard recently built a satellite named D00MH4MM3R. The satellite made headlines after it was launched without passing safety inspection, and crash-landed in Dàguó, damaging a small farm town and ruffling already cold feathers. The question of whether launch companies should be under tighter control has been launched into motion.
Validity: (Co-authors: Drayxaso, Jutsa) Must allow privatized space programs (Or followup to 574.1 and presumably 574.3)

Option 1: "I must assure you, @@LEADER@@, that this... accident is purely the fault of the satellite's operator, not loyal launch providers such as my company," promises @@RANDOMNAME@@, the rather green-faced CEO of Space@@NAMEINTIALS@@, the company responsible for D00MH4MM3R's launch. "This episode serves as clear proof that satellite operators need more scrutiny. You must set tighter regulations on rocket shipbuilders, and blacklist any organization deemed unsafe so no-one else can profit off — I mean, make the same mistake we did."
[effect] satellites with sharp edges are banned

Option 2: "This is what happens when you give your people too much freedom," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, administrator of the Dàgúcosmos space program in Dàguó. "Space needs to be under strict government control so these monstrosities, like that toaster oven that caused that firework display over the Celestial Emperor's palace, don't see the light of day. If you don't destroy them first, they'll destroy themselves — or we will."
[effect] the government is stuck with a dozen log cabins on space engines

Option 3: "What makes you think the government will do any better?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose house was recently hit by a long-lost space toilet. "Space is a dangerous place, and we can't allow anyone to launch anything up there. You have to shut every last space agency down for good, and right away!"
[effect] astronauts stuck in dangerous space stations are left to die

Option 4: A man parachutes beside you: it's 'Libertarian Astronaut' Scott Glenn! His spacesuit is decorated with a massive 'Don't Tread on Me' pin. "Regulation is theft! Stricter measures will disproportionately affect smaller companies. So what if a few rockets fail qualifications? It'll eventually lead to better and faster innovation to keep investors satisfied, and you can help by giving space tourism a few subsidies!" You think you see a shuttle falling out of the sky.
[effect] mile-wide craters lie as a testament to free-market economics

The Issue: A new satellite firm named Jeb's Junkyard recently built a satellite named D00MH4MM3R, commissioned by the military to detect asteroids and incoming ballistic missiles. The satellite made headlines after it not only detected a series of a thousand nuclear asteroids coming from the tiny pacifist nation of Qaanpaluk — none of which existed — but also ended up crash-landing into Dàguó, causing substantial damage to a small town.
Validity: (Co-authors: Drayxaso, Jutsa) Must allow privatized space programs (Or followup to 574.1 and presumably 574.3)

Option 1: "I must assure you, @@LEADER@@, that this... accident is purely the fault of the satellite's operator, not loyal launch providers such as my company," promises @@RANDOMNAME@@, the rather green-faced CEO of Space@@NAMEINTIALS@@, the company responsible for D00MH4MM3R's launch. "This episode serves as clear proof that satellite operators need more scrutiny. You must set tighter regulations on rocket shipbuilders, and blacklist any organization deemed unsafe so no-one else can profit off — I mean, make the same mistake we did."

Option 2: "This is what happens when you give your people too much freedom," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, administrator of the Dàgúcosm space program in Dàguó. "Anything related to space needs to be under strict government control so these monstrosities, like that toaster oven that caused that firework display over the Celestial Emperor's palace, don't see the light of day. If you don't destroy them first, they'll destroy themselves — or we will."
[effect] unusable rockets are sold to the government while high-quality ones go unused

Option 3: "What makes you think the government will do any better?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose house was recently hit by a long-lost space toilet. "Space is a dangerous place, and we can't allow anyone to launch anything up there. You have to shut every last space agency down for good, and right away!"

Option 4: A man parachutes beside you: it's 'Libertarian Astronaut' Scott Glenn! His spacesuit is decorated with a massive 'Don't Tread on Me' pin. "Regulation is theft! Stricter measures will disproportionately affect smaller companies. If a rocket fails, investors will turn the other cheek. Oh, and I'm sure some government subsidies will make their products far more satisfactory." You think you see a shuttle falling out of the sky.
[effect] mile-wide craters lie as a testament to free-market economics.

The Issue: A new satellite firm named Jeb's Junkyard recently launched a satellite named D00MH4MM3R, designed to detect asteroids and incoming ballistic missiles for the military. The satellite made headlines after it not only detected a series of a thousand nuclear asteroids coming from the tiny pacifist nation of Qaanpaluk — none of which existed — but also ended up crash-landing into Dàguó, causing substantial damage to a small town.

Option 1: I must assure you, @@LEADER@@, that this... accident is purely the fault of the satellite's operator, not loyal launch providers such as my company," promises @@RANDOMNAME@@, the rather green-faced CEO of Space@@NAMEINTIALS@@, the company responsible for D00MH4MM3R's launch. "This episode serves as clear proof that satellite operators need more scrutiny. You must set tighter regulations on rocket shipbuilders, and blacklist any organization deemed unsafe so no-one else can profit off — I mean, make the same mistake we did."

Option 2: "This is what happens when you give your people too much freedom," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, administrator of the Dàgúcosm space program in Dàguó. "Anything related to space needs to be under strict government control so these monstrosities, like that toaster oven that caused that firework display over the Celestial Emperor's palace, don't see the light of day. If you don't destroy them first, they'll destroy themselves — or we will."
[effect] unusable rockets are sold to the government while high-quality ones go unused

Option 4: A man parachutes beside you: it's 'Libertarian Astronaut' Scott Glenn! His spacesuit is decorated with a massive 'Don't Tread on Me' pin. "Regulation is theft! Stricter measures will disproportionately affect smaller companies. If a rocket fails, investors will turn the other cheek. Oh, and I'm sure some government subsidies will make their products far more satisfactory." You think you see a shuttle falling out of the sky.
[effect] mile-wide craters lie as a testament to free-market economics.

ed #idk: fixed a couple effect lines and something in option 4.
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 am, edited 13 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: A new satellite firm named Jeb's Junkyard recently launched a satellite named D00MH4MM3R, designed to detect asteroids and incoming ballistic missiles for the military.
Why would some random lone actor be trying to detect ballistic missiles? That's the military's job, or at best the job of a contractor deliberately hired by the military to do that.

Also, don't mix up satellite manufacturing and satellite launch services. These are two different things which are generally done by different people (even if you don't have private space corporations and they're both part of the government space agency, they'll still be different branches of that agency).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm

the job of a contractor deliberately hired by the military to do that.
The industry that did this was supposed to have been contracted by the military, but then again I'm not 100% sure how that works so I might be pulling air out of a tinfoil hat.
Also, don't mix up satellite manufacturing and satellite launch services.
Yeah, I don't think there's a problem here but I could be entirely wrong.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 am

Launched by a company or an individual?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 am

I was thinking company, but now I'm wondering about non-incorporated partnerships and individuals launching rockets... :lol:

I'll add "Inc." after "Junkyard" if I need specification.

Also, yesterday, I found out that Jeb's Junkyard is a KSP reference, so I tried to put another one in there... may try to add more.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 27, 2018 11:38 am

This is glorious. I love it! :clap:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Changed option 2's "spaceships and launches" to "anything space related", if that's what Trot was hinting at.
Ed: Also shortened the shortest option slightly.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun May 27, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Jutsa wrote:Changed option 2's "spaceships and launches" to "anything space related", if that's what Trot was hinting at.
No, the problem is the main description and the entire narrative that follows. You describe the company in question as having "launched" the satellite, and they call themselves "launch providers". There is absolutely no reason to blame a launch provider for a malfunction in the satellite itself (at worst, they might place it in the wrong orbit, but that would likely lead to at least knowing right away that the launch went wrong, rather than the satellite appearing to work but giving wrong results). Meanwhile despite this irrelevant company being given a name and made the center of attention, whoever built the satellite is never named - it's not even stated if it was a private contractor or the military itself.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Oh! Derp!

Jeb's Junkyard is supposed to be the company that made D00MH4MM3R. :rofl:

I also could've sworn I specified that the military contracted them to make it. That's strange; hopefully amended, now.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 am

Bump! Did I fix the thing I was supposed to fix? :blush:

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

In the issue description, you say one firm was responsible for the launch, but in option one you state another?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Well, I've emerged from my stasis to finally pull my weight on my side of the co-authorship. I like what you've done so far.
Jutsa wrote:Jeb's Junkyard is a KSP reference, so I tried to put another one in there... may try to add more.

Glad to see you caught that. I've been trying to haphazardly hammer a KSP reference into NS since my very first issue drafts. What was the other Kerbal reference?
Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Changed option 2's "spaceships and launches" to "anything space related", if that's what Trot was hinting at.
No, the problem is the main description and the entire narrative that follows. You describe the company in question as having "launched" the satellite, and they call themselves "launch providers". There is absolutely no reason to blame a launch provider for a malfunction in the satellite itself (at worst, they might place it in the wrong orbit, but that would likely lead to at least knowing right away that the launch went wrong, rather than the satellite appearing to work but giving wrong results). Meanwhile despite this irrelevant company being given a name and made the center of attention, whoever built the satellite is never named - it's not even stated if it was a private contractor or the military itself.

The original draft was based on the rogue SpaceBee launch, rather than development of a faulty satellite. The launch provider was being blamed in the old draft because they launched the satellite without proper certification. I went a bit overboard in the original draft when I exaggerated the danger the satellite posed, which is probably the reason it has changed to a military-contracted payload.
Jutsa, I definitely think that the draft would be more cohesive and have a greater sense of purpose if the "D00MH4MM3R" was just a commercial satellite that should have never launched due to its danger. We might want to take elements from my original description.
Jutsa wrote:I have turned it into specifically a "privatized space industry" followup.

Good. It works a lot better that way.
Jutsa wrote:Dàgúcosm

I wrote this as Dagúcosmos, to allude to the Russian Space Program, Roscosmos. Otherwise the name doesn't make much sense.
Jutsa wrote:[effect] unusable rockets are sold to the government while high-quality ones go unused

Not sure how outlawing private spaceflight leads to the government being sold unusable rockets.

Also, we need to find a way to force the "Death by Space Shuttle Mishap" stat into this.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:33 am

Alrighty, updated! Sorry about the wait.

What was the other Kerbal reference?
green-faced. :P
We might want to take elements from my original description.
Yeah, sorry about that; I kind-of misunderstood what the original premise was actually about, and thought it was more about the rocket rather than the launch. :blush:

Hopefully fixed... but I'm not entirely certain. Perhaps you could give it another look-over?
Good. It works a lot better that way.
Thanks. :D

Gotta say, there are a lot of things you can privatize...
I wrote this as Dagúcosmos
Yeah I didn't get the reference and already misremembered the name, unintentional and hopefully fixed. :blush:
Not sure how outlawing private spaceflight leads to the government being sold unusable rockets.
Yeah I'm not 100% sure what I was thinking there, but it's changed. No idea if it's any good yet, but it's changed.
Also, we need to find a way to force the "Death by Space Shuttle Mishap" stat into this.
Idk how to add it to the draft but I do enjoy the idea.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

Bump~

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am

Well, I'll bump this one more time before submission, I suppose.
Unless, of course, someone suggests I wait longer for it. :P

I'd consider submitting sooner, but I know it underwent a bit of a change only a couple bumps ago. :?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:28 am

Jutsa wrote:Well, I'll bump this one more time before submission, I suppose.
Unless, of course, someone suggests I wait longer for it. :P

I'd consider submitting sooner, but I know it underwent a bit of a change only a couple bumps ago. :?

Sometimes I feel like I should be paid to do this.

But if you're bumping multiple times, it means we have nothing more to say on it and it's probably good go! So just submit it already. :p
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 am

I... guess I really have always been on the conservative side when it comes to my issues.
I'm just never really certain; sometimes draft-changing advice comes a few bumps later, after all.

Well... I guess I'll take your advice into account. Tbh, I have a few drafts I've been aching to get public for over a month now. :blush:

ed: I'm still leaving this one up one more week though. :rofl:
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 am

Jutsa wrote:I... guess I really have always been on the conservative side when it comes to my issues.
I'm just never really certain; sometimes draft-changing advice comes a few bumps later, after all.

Well... I guess I'll take your advice into account. Tbh, I have a few drafts I've been aching to get public for over a month now. :blush:

ed: I'm still leaving this one up one more week though. :rofl:

*flips the table*

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 am

Alrighty, submitted. You happy now, Chan? :lol:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am

Damn, way to rush it. I had comments to make, man!

(I'm kidding)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Good luck
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?