NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] LEEDing from Behind

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] LEEDing from Behind

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

This could be called the NEPA issue.

Draft #1
[Name] LEEDing from Behind.

[Description] A new administrative building for the Environmental Ministry is under fire from watchdog groups. An investigation found—among other things—that valuable wetland was drained for the foundation, unsustainable materials were used during construction, and energy-inefficient methods were chosen for the mechanical systems.

[option] "@@NAME@@’s government needs to do better," tuts @@RANDOMNAME@@, an activist protesting outside the Ministry building. "All government agencies must be required to undergo an impact assessment before any proposed action—building or otherwise. Not only do they need to report critical habitat affected, embodied energy costs for materials, et cetera, agencies must be required to follow the most environmentally friendly option they find. If even one thing is found out of place, a project shouldn’t be allowed to go through. Certain methods may cost a pretty @@CURRENCY@@ for the most sustainable option, but the conservation benefits will be worth it in the end."
[effect] a mix-up on the Endangered Species List has indefinitely delayed multiple government projects

[option] "There shouldn't be a mandate," begs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Treasury Minister. "Go through with the permitting process, but have the findings only be a suggestion. There’s no way that @@NAME@@ can afford the highest level of environmental certifications on every building! While it would be best for there not to be any outright requirements, the overall process should be transparent to the public: at the very least, we may still get some project managers guilt-tripped into doing the right thing."
[effect] bureaucrats grumble that the volume of paper used to complete a single Environmental Assessment report defeats the purpose

[option] "There’s no reason to go through with this,” suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Housing and @@DEMONYM@@ Services. “In fact, I say we teach these hippies a lesson. Here’s a list of some of the fragile habitats surrounding @@CAPITOL@@. I’ve also got three work orders filed for United Federation granite—I hear they recently opened up one of their National Parks for mining. Just say the word, and those eco-freaks will be living their worst-case scenario. Maybe then they’ll get the message."
[effect] one of the last-known habitats of the endangered yellow-bellied @@ANIMAL@@ has been bulldozed for @@CAPITOL@@’s new Natural History Museum.
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

The Official United Nations
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Official United Nations » Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 am

There is a 'that that' in the first paragraph, which could be shortened to 'that.'

The issue does draw on a similar problem to others, however it does seem to have an interesting take on building regulations. Having regulation as a 'suggestion' seems conventional in these matters, so it's a valid consideration. There is some humorous potential in that, as you touch on: it won't impede much, however a few conscientious people might just respond. You could build on that.

Instead of listing disparate problems with the building, it might be useful to 'frame' these through an overall summary of the problem. Otherwise too many issues seem to come up. At least a note saying that the planning was environmentally inefficient in a resounding way.

The third, spiteful answer is slightly unique and interesting. The contrarian response to environmentalism gives this issue some character of its own. However, the speaker could further clarify what kind of measures they expect in the 'endangered' areas. That seems slightly amorphous right now, rather than a determined stance. You might also want to play up the protest around this government building, to give an apt setting for this embittered response.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 am

Also the building burns more electricity per sq metre than 90% of other buildings in the cojntry
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

The Official United Nations wrote:There is a 'that that' in the first paragraph, which could be shortened to 'that.'

Thank you for catching that. Fixed.

The Official United Nations wrote:The issue does draw on a similar problem to others, however it does seem to have an interesting take on building regulations. Having regulation as a 'suggestion' seems conventional in these matters, so it's a valid consideration. There is some humorous potential in that, as you touch on: it won't impede much, however a few conscientious people might just respond. You could build on that.

Actually, I felt obligated to include that option, since 'regulation as suggestion' is the current—and controversial—policy outlined by the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA). All Federal Projects are required to consider the extent of any environmental disturbance (or, alternatively, submit a Finding of No Significant Impact to convince the government that the area's safe.) Additionally, before the project begins, it has to show to the public that the most environmentally friendly solution was considered—but they have no obligation to follow it. In summary, the 'guilt-trip method' is actually current U.S. Law. The two other options are the best-case and worst-case scenarios.

U.S. Environmental Policy 101. :p

The Official United Nations wrote:Instead of listing disparate problems with the building, it might be useful to 'frame' these through an overall summary of the problem. Otherwise too many issues seem to come up. At least a note saying that the planning was environmentally inefficient in a resounding way.

The third, spiteful answer is slightly unique and interesting. The contrarian response to environmentalism gives this issue some character of its own. However, the speaker could further clarify what kind of measures they expect in the 'endangered' areas. That seems slightly amorphous right now, rather than a determined stance. You might also want to play up the protest around this government building, to give an apt setting for this embittered response.

I'll play around with these suggestions. Thank you for bringing them to my attention!
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Returning to this issue, after making some changes based on previous feedback.
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm

I like it. I like the amusing juxtaposition in the building that is eco-unfriendly being the Environment Ministry one.

The issue has good shape, and decent effect lines.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Thank you for the encouragement!

Looking for title suggestions, though. The current placeholder is sort of punny, but I'm really not a fan of the word 'Natural'.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Changed the title, but I think I made the pun worse. :p
Issues Authored

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 pm

That is a very punny name indeed now.... just be sure to put in the new name in your main body too, because you have kept the old title there ;)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Chan Island wrote:That is a very punny name indeed now.... just be sure to put in the new name in your main body too, because you have kept the old title there ;)

Oops. Fixed now.

Any other thoughts before submission?
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Last call.
Issues Authored

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Title makes me cringe, but good issue nonetheless.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am

Submitted, pun and all.
Issues Authored

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 am

gl! That pun will almost certainly get it picked. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?