NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: A Literal Endeavor

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED: A Literal Endeavor

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 pm

[title] A Literal Endeavour

[desc] Rural residents of @@NAME@@ often remain uneducated, and in many instances, illiterate. The reason, many rural children who live on subsistence farms live too far from schools to a able to attend.

[validity] must be poor and rural, high wealth gaps

[option] "Until my family moved to the city, I used to walk barefoot in the snow for one hour to go to school!" states @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, an old man, showing you his photo album. "And then I used to walk barefoot for one hour to come back! Both ways trips were uphill. And my wife lived too far from school to be able to walk there at all. This is bad for children. Education is important! When I was young, only the rich could afford donkeys, but now that we have technology, we should use it for everyone. Maybe we should set up buses to take kids to school."
[effect] every single individual farm in @@NAME@@ doubles as a bus stop

[option] "What about us?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, celebrating @@HIS@@ 21st birthday? "Why can't we learn to read and write? We shouldn't forgotten because we a few years too late. We're still young to learn. We work farm all day. Maybe night classes for adults?
[effect] octogenarians are learning to read for the first time

[option] "Why do kids still need to go to school now that the internet exists?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of technology, whilst looking for a Wi-Fi signal,"We could just have a few teachers live-streaming classes and give all children laptops in order to access the live-streams! By my estimations, we can have the whole country connected in 5 years! Sure, it can't compare to face-to-face lessons, and students will be unable to interact with each other, but in the long term, the massive initial investment in rural broadband connections will be cheaper and easier than hundreds of school buses."
[effect] travelling thousands of kilometres from civilisation into the middle of nowhere can ensure you a Wi-Fi connection

[option] "Bah Humbug," complains elitist @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst yelling at @@HIS@@ butler for polishing the solid gold toilet seats too slowly, "These farm people should stick to their cows and sheep, and leave education to those of us that can afford it. After all, you don't need to know how to read and write in order to shovel horse manure!"
[effect] one pass the elitism test in order to learn the alphabet

[title] A Literal Endeavour

[desc] Rural residents of @@NAME@@ often remain uneducated, and in many instances, illiterate. The reason, many rural children who live on subsistence farms, live too far from schools to a able to attend.

[validity] must be poor and rural

[option] "Until my family moved to the city, I used to walk barefoot in the snow for one hour to go to school!" states @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, an old man, showing you his photo album. "And then I used to walk barefoot for one hour to come back! Both ways trips were uphill. And my wife lived too far from school to be able to walk there at all. This is bad for children. Education is important! When I was young, only the rich could afford donkeys, but now that we have technology, we should use it for everyone. Maybe we should set up buses to take kids to school. Oh, and set up night classes for adults up to age 30!”

[option] "Why do kids still need to go to school now that the internet exists?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of technology, whilst looking for a Wi-Fi signal,"We could just have a few teachers live-streaming classes and give all children laptops in order to access the live-streams! Sure, it can't compare to face-to-face lessons, and students will be unable to interact with each other, but it's easier and cheaper than hundreds of school buses."
[effect] travelling thousands of kilometres from civilisation into the middle of nowhere can ensure you a Wi-Fi connection
[policy reversal] ban on internet

[option] "Bah Humbug," complains elitist @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst polishing @@HIS@@ solid gold toilet seat, "These farm people should stick to their cows and sheep, and leave education to those of us that can afford it. After all, how does literacy assist in shoveling manure?"

[spoiler=first draft][title] A Literal Mission

[desc] Rural residents of @@NAME@@ often remain uneducated, and in many instances, illiterate. The reason, many rural children who live on subsistence farms, live to far from schools to a able to attend.

[validity] must be somewhat primitive

[option] "Until my family moved to the city, I used to walk barefoot in the snow for one hour to go to school!" states @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, an old man, showing you his photo album. "And then I used to walk barefoot for one hour to come back! And my wife lived too far from school to be able to walk there at all. This is bad for children. Education is important! Maybe we should set up buses to take kids to school."

[option] "Why do kids still need to go to school now that the internet exists?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of technology, whilst looking for a Wi-Fi signal," We could just have a few teachers live-streaming classes and give all children laptops in order to access the live-streams! Sure, it can't compare to face-to-face lessons, and students will be unable to interact with each other, but it's easier and cheaper than hundreds of school buses."

[option] "Bah Humbug," complains elitist @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst polishing @@HIS@@ solid gold toilet seat, "These farm people should stick to their cows and sheep, and leave education to those of us that can afford it. You don't need to know how to read and write to be able to shovel horse poo!"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Stormaen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Stormaen » Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm

What is your issue title? So far, I’ve seen: A Literal Invasion, A Literal Endeavour, and A Literal Mission.

Edit: It’s a good issue idea, though. I can’t recall one like it. Few spelling errors, and I’m by no means informed on the technical side, but it’s looking pretty good to my untrained eye.
Last edited by Stormaen on Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falklands Forever! “Malvinas” Never!
Free West Papua

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm

And that old man had to walk the entire way uphill! Both ways! :p

I like this a lot, but I do wonder about the role of cars here. Maybe have an option encouraging more cars? Also, what about tutors travel from farm to farm to bring an education to the really isolated? To be fair, I'm just spitballing, this is a very good draft. :clap:
Last edited by Chan Island on Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Chan Island wrote:And that old man had to walk the entire way uphill! Both ways! :p

I forgot that part. Also, that's NOT an exclusively Greek thing? Interesting
I like this a lot, but I do wonder about the role of cars here. Maybe have an option encouraging more cars?

Let's give cars to 6 year olds :rofl: :lol2: (sorry if that seemed a bit rude)
Also, what about tutors travel from farm to farm to bring an education to the really isolated?

For like a week?
To be fair, I'm just spitballing, this is a very good draft. :clap:

Thanks!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu May 24, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Stormaen wrote:What is your issue title? So far, I’ve seen: A Literal Invasion, A Literal Endeavour, and A Literal Mission.

Edit: It’s a good issue idea, though. I can’t recall one like it. Few spelling errors, and I’m by no means informed on the technical side, but it’s looking pretty good to my untrained eye.

It's "a literal endeavour". Also, thanks

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 am

Hi Aussie, this draft has potential. However, my main concern is primitiveness plus internet. They're not really bed-fellows, are they?

The Official United Nations
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Official United Nations » Fri May 25, 2018 2:22 am

The second response does seem out of step with the first, yes. After walking barefoot, the 'why not just use technology for everything' angle comes out of nowhere.

Those two should be harmonised somehow.

A lot of the effect descriptions also seem to lack a clear relation to the central issue. Since the question concerns 'ways of supporting educational institutions,' the effects should probably reflect that.
Last edited by The Official United Nations on Fri May 25, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 25, 2018 4:47 am

Baggieland wrote:Hi Aussie, this draft has potential. However, my main concern is primitiveness plus internet. They're not really bed-fellows, are they?

Yea I suppose. Is there an urnmbanisation stat? Maybe I'll go poverty + lack of urbanisation. Thanks!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 am

The Official United Nations wrote:The second response does seem out of step with the first, yes. After walking barefoot, the 'why not just use technology for everything' angle comes out of nowhere.

His education pre-dates the internet. Though I could see how that will be a problem in the coming decades. Thanks!

Those two should be harmonised somehow.

Once again, he was educated before the internet. Perhaps I nedd to make the wording clearer. If you gave any ideas on how to make this future-proof, please let me know

A lot of the effect descriptions also seem to lack a clear relation to the central issue. Since the question concerns 'ways of supporting educational institutions,' the effects should probably reflect that.

Effects are supposed to be humourous. Thanks I'll re-examine them, but I need a few more ideas on how to improve this issue first
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am

Another question is what happens to the adults who are already illiterate and way past the schooling age.

Maybe we need an evening school for them?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Another question is what happens to the adults who are already illiterate and way past the schooling age.

Maybe we need an evening school for them?

Didn't think of that. Maybe cap it age 30, though

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Okay guys, second draft is up. Thanks for your help

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm

TBH, making the guy in Option 1 talk about evening literacy classes for adults just made that option too jumpy and incoherent. Try to keep your focus. I just put it forth as a suggestion, but it is not a good idea to cram it into Option 1. If you consider mentioning it, it may be good to present it in a second option that comes right after Option 1. Then the speaker might burst in, saying "Having busses for kids is good, but how about millions of adult citizens who are illiterate and past the school age? Will they remain uneducated forever?" Then this person can mention evening schools I think.

---------

Also, in option 3, I don't think this elitist guy would be polishing his own toilet seat if he is rich enough to buy a gold-plated one, just saying. :p

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 pm

For option 2, how about make it that the option advocates installing broadband cables and other such infrastructure in rural areas? You could mention the massive investment and time it will take to do that as a downside.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:TBH, making the guy in Option 1 talk about evening literacy classes for adults just made that option too jumpy and incoherent. Try to keep your focus. I just put it forth as a suggestion, but it is not a good idea to cram it into Option 1. If you consider mentioning it, it may be good to present it in a second option that comes right after Option 1. Then the speaker might burst in, saying "Having busses for kids is good, but how about millions of adult citizens who are illiterate and past the school age? Will they remain uneducated forever?" Then this person can mention evening schools I think.

---------

Also, in option 3, I don't think this elitist guy would be polishing his own toilet seat if he is rich enough to buy a gold-plated one, just saying. :p

If anything, the elitist should be laughing at their maid doing the polishing for them!
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:TBH, making the guy in Option 1 talk about evening literacy classes for adults just made that option too jumpy and incoherent. Try to keep your focus. I just put it forth as a suggestion, but it is not a good idea to cram it into Option 1. If you consider mentioning it, it may be good to present it in a second option that comes right after Option 1. Then the speaker might burst in, saying "Having busses for kids is good, but how about millions of adult citizens who are illiterate and past the school age? Will they remain uneducated forever?" Then this person can mention evening schools I think.

Fixed, thanks

Fixed, thanks

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 26, 2018 6:56 am

Chan Island wrote:For option 2, how about make it that the option advocates installing broadband cables and other such infrastructure in rural areas? You could mention the massive investment and time it will take to do that as a downside.

---------

If anything, the elitist should be laughing at their maid doing the polishing for them!

Fixed, thanks

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed May 30, 2018 5:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:but now that we have technology, we should use it for everyone. Maybe we should set up buses to take kids to school

How much technology do you need to send a bus to rural areas?

Iahselene
Attaché

Founded: May 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Iahselene » Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 am

If the people gotta be poor, how can the nation afford any of this and why is there a rich dude?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am

Not entirely sure of the place of this new option 2. I mean, OK, old people should be literate too but that's not the issue premise. Surely a much more relevant potential solution is to drive in tutors to travel between isolated farmsteads in order to bring education to the children there (once every 2 months of course).

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed May 30, 2018 11:41 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:but now that we have technology, we should use it for everyone. Maybe we should set up buses to take kids to school

How about sending "coaches?"

Don't British people refer to busses as coaches?

And primitive nations could assume that coach means a stagecoach, perhaps?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't get it

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Baggieland wrote:

Quite a lot, actually. Roads count as technology, as does the bus itself, as does the petrol which fuels it. And the man pre-dates cars, which is why he talks about donkeys...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Iahselene wrote:If the people gotta be poor, how can the nation afford any of this and why is there a rich dude?

It's cheaper than building schools everywhere. Also, almost all countries have insanely wealthy people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Baggieland wrote:

How about sending "coaches?"

Don't British people refer to busses as coaches?

And primitive nations could assume that coach means a stagecoach, perhaps?

I'm not British, I'm Australian, and we do call them coaches

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?