NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Who Would Expect a Secular Inquisition?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] Who Would Expect a Secular Inquisition?

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am

Soo, this is is pretty much my go at a version of #219 for atheist nations... :lol:

Let me know what you think of it. I'm legitimately alright if it's also just added to 219, or discarded. :P

Draft 2.00
Title: Who Would Expect a Secular Inquisition?
The Issue: Although organized religion has been abolished, many are questioning if religious-like beliefs still persist, and are offering an inquisition to try astrologists, ghost hunters, and people who put all their faith into having no faith.
Validity: Religion is banned

Option 1: Dr. Madalenin Hoxhair, a well-known hard-line atheist in a foundation platformed from the increasingly unpopular People for the Ethical Treatment of Everything, throws a golden ring into a fire. "Many atheists still hold almost religious beliefs in the superstitious and unprovable, and so have encouraged us to form an inquisition. However, it'll only be to try those in error and put them on the right track to scientific reasoning. Of course, in order to bring this noble plan into effect, the Hard-Line Atheist Office must have jurisdiction over the civil courts."
[effect] radicals devoid of answers have seized control of the law

Option 2: "People like you are exactly why @@NAME@@ needs an inquisition," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, known atheist preacher and writer of Lucky Socks and Other Magical Things, to the previous speaker. "We do need a unified belief — that while there is no Cyan Goddess, no Great Lumberer, no Floating Linguine Monster; there are still supernatural forces that science simply can not explain. After all, atheism is just a religion of no gods. We must persecute all of those who are living by some textbook, and teach them that science is not the answer to everything. It'll bring us into a new golden age!"
[effect] people wondering how things work are told to just accept things for what they are

Option 3: "Aren't inquisitions one of the reasons why we banned religion in the first place?" inquisitively inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, a once devout follower of the Order of Maxx. "These mirxen — pardon my language — ultra-atheists have plunged us all into chaos! @@NAME@@ doesn't need an inquisition; it needs to legalize religion! Everyone should have the right to think, preach, worship, believe, think, contemplate, think, believe... whatever the Mixmax they please. It's time to move beyond these hateful principles!"
[effect] whole towns are baffled by the sudden presence of people in robes chanting hymns and preaching tales of @@ANIMAL@@-men
[Flag Change] Atheism is removed

The Issue: Some zealous figures of @@NAME@@'s major anti-religious groups have requested government sponsorship for the institution of an inquisition to try astrologists, ghost hunters, and people who put all their faith into a lucky rock.

Option 1: Dr. Madalenin Hoxhair, a well-known hard-line atheist in a foundation platformed from the increasingly unpopular People for the Ethical Treatment of Everything, throws a golden ring into a fire. "Many atheists still hold almost religious beliefs in the superstitious and unprovable, and so have encouraged us to form an inquisition. However, it'll only be to try those in error and put them on the right track to scientific reasoning. Of course, in order to bring this noble plan into effect, the Hard-Line Atheist Office must have jurisdiction over the civil courts."
[effect] radicals devoid of answers have seized control of the law

Option 2: "Aren't inquisitions one of the reasons why we banned religion in the first place?" inquisitively inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, a once devout follower of the Order of Maxx. "These mirxen — pardon my language — ultra-atheists have plunged us all into chaos! @@NAME@@ doesn't need an inquisition; it needs to legalize religion! Everyone should have the right to think, preach, worship, believe, think, contemplate, think, believe... whatever the Mixmax they please. It's time to move beyond these hateful principles!"
[effect] whole towns are baffled by the sudden presence of people in robes chanting hymns and preaching tales of @@ANIMAL@@-men

Option 3: "And you two are exactly why @@NAME@@ needs more than just an inquisition," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, known atheist preacher and writer of Lucky Socks and Other Magical Things, to the previous speaker. "We do need a single, unified belief — the belief that while there is no Cyan Goddess, no Great Lumberer, no Floating Linguine Monster; there are still supernatural forces that science simply can not explain. We must persecute all of those who are living by some science textbook, and stick them believers into camps where they'll face a truly unholy punishment — like stoning! It'll bring us into a new golden age!"
[effect] devout followers of stars and ladybugs are tortured to cleanse their minds
[Flag Change*] applies Corporal Punishment

[spoiler=Draft 1.00]
The Issue: Some zealous figures of @@NAME@@'s major anti-religious groups have requested government sponsorship for the institution of an inquisition to try Cyan prophets and pizza worshippers.

Option 1: Dr. Madalenin Hoxhair, a well-known scientist in a foundation platformed from the increasingly unpopular People for the Ethical Treatment of Everything, throws a golden ring into a fire. "The teachings of the Church are ridiculous, and have encouraged us to form an inquisition against religion. However, it'll only be to try those in error and put them on the right track to scientific reasoning. Of course, in order to bring this noble plan into effect, the scientific community must have jurisdiction over the civil courts."
[effect] radical nerds have seized control of the law

Option 2: "Aren't inquisitions one of the reasons why we banned religion in the first place?" inquisitively inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, a once devout follower of the Order of Maxx. "These mirxen — pardon my language — ultra-atheists have plunged us all into chaos! @@NAME@@ doesn't need an inquisition; it needs to legalize religion! Everyone should have the right to think, preach, worship, believe, think, contemplate, think, believe... whatever the Mixmax they please. It's time to move beyond these hateful principles!"

Option 3: "And you are exactly why @@NAME@@ needs more than just an inquisition," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, known atheist preacher, to the previous speaker. "We do need a single, unified belief - the belief that there is no Yellow Goddess, no Great Lumberer, no Floating Linguine Monster. We must persecute all of those who are living by some book, and stick them believers into camps where they'll face a truly unholy punishment — like stoning! It'll bring us into a new golden age!"
[effect] devout clergymen preaching love and charity are tortured to cleanse their minds
[Flag Change*] applies Corporal Punishment

ed: Forgot to add the flag change to option 3.
ed2: If this does end up being its own issue, I'm 100% fine with the author of the normal issue being considered "co-author" in this. :p

edF: Officially discarded it. Prior final edit: June 11, 2018.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 am

What's the difference between options 1 ,& 3
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm

the same difference as in the original; one tries a group of people and tries to correct them, the other just stones them
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

I like the allusion to 219.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm

streamlined -s to —s and changed "Lord" to "Yellow Goddess". :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 am

Nice. All I can say is nice. :p
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Would option 1 suggesting improving the education system to teach students that @@ANIMAL@@-men are impossible in the first place be okay, even if the speaker isn't a science teacher?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I mean, he might, but I don't think that's what this issue's meant to be about. :P

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat May 19, 2018 7:00 pm

:rofl:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun May 20, 2018 1:04 am

Option 1. I find it strange that an issue which will only be sent to nations that have banned religion talks about churches! Make it so that there is an illegal underground religious movement.

Also not believing in God doesn't always equate to science. I am an athiest, yet my worst subjects at school were the sciences!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 20, 2018 8:08 am

Eh yeah very true, both of those. I'll try to hammer those out. :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Baggieland wrote:Also not believing in God doesn't always equate to science. I am an athiest, yet my worst subjects at school were the sciences!
The same claim has recently come up in another thread, so read my response there.

In fact, such "incorrect atheism" might be part of what the inquisition wants to root out...

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Baggieland wrote:Also not believing in God doesn't always equate to science. I am an athiest, yet my worst subjects at school were the sciences!
The same claim has recently come up in another thread, so read my response there.

In fact, such "incorrect atheism" might be part of what the inquisition wants to root out...

That might be an interesting angle to take actually, and would have a slight mirroring in the historical inquisition too. Have it that while everyone has officially deconverted, many are either in underground movements or hold onto ignorant superstitions.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am

Well, I tried to change it to be hard-line atheists vs. superstitious atheists, but it's no permanent damage if you advise me to change it back to primarily religion.
I actually wanted to try for a religious one, but if they're not caught by the cops already, idk what the first or third options would even do. :blush:

Anyhow, updated! I unfortunately had to remove the cults of Yellow and Pizza, but it's worth it to keep Cyan, Weird Gates, and Pastafarianism.

Ed: Also hotfixed effect line 3. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 25, 2018 8:10 am

Jutsa wrote:Hard-Line Atheist Office
It seems somewhat improbable for the office to actually be called that.

Jutsa wrote:[effect] radicals devoid of answers have seized control of the law
I'd say atheism and science offer lots of answers. They're just not always the answers you want to hear.

Jutsa wrote:a once devout follower of the Order of Maxx
Hyphenate "once-devout".

Jutsa wrote:Option 3: "And you two are exactly why @@NAME@@ needs more than just an inquisition," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, known atheist preacher and writer of Lucky Socks and Other Magical Things, to the previous speaker. "We do need a single, unified belief — the belief that while there is no Cyan Goddess, no Great Lumberer, no Floating Linguine Monster; there are still supernatural forces that science simply can not explain. We must persecute all of those who are living by some science textbook, and stick them believers into camps where they'll face a truly unholy punishment — like stoning! It'll bring us into a new golden age!"
[effect] devout followers of stars and ladybugs are tortured to cleanse their minds
[Flag Change*] applies Corporal Punishment[/box]
Hmm. Interesting that while in the religious inquisition issue option 3 was a more extreme version of option 1, here you have option 3 support a different form of atheism in addition to a more extreme form of enforcing it. I don't think it really works.

Plus, in real life, I think it's the scientific atheists who are more likely to harass religious people over their faith, while many of the superstitious atheists are either (A) laid-back "live and let live" types, or (B) conspiracy theorists, who are generally more interested in harassing figures of authority rather than encouraging figures of authority to harass average people.

Jutsa (new) wrote:[effect] devout followers of stars and ladybugs are tortured to cleanse their minds
Jutsa (old) wrote:[effect] devout clergymen preaching love and charity are tortured to cleanse their minds
Now, now. The old effect line was much better.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 am

It seems somewhat improbably for the office to actually be called that.
fair. :lol:
I'd say atheism and science offer lots of answers. They're just not always the answers you want to hear.
New effect lines on the spot aren't my specialty. I'll come back to that.
Hyphenate "once-devout"
Thanks. :3c
Hmm. Interesting that while in the religious inquisition issue option 3 was a more extreme version of option 1, here you have option 3 support a different form of atheism in addition to a more extreme form of enforcing it. I don't think it really works.

Plus, in real life, I think it's the scientific atheists who are more likely to harass religious people over their faith, while many of the superstitious atheists are either (A) laid-back "live and let live" types, or (B) conspiracy theorists, who are generally more interested in harassing figures of authority rather than encouraging figures of authority to harass average people.
Yeah, I totally agree. It was supposed to keep with the theme of the previous issue, but I see that it'll have to be reworked a bit.
(to be fair, I'm alright with the issue devolving from the original, progressively)
ow, now. The old effect line was much better.
I 100% agree. Plus I kinda got mixed up and that'd imply punishing the side that option's supposed to be for. :rofl:

I'll try and address these soon.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 am

Jutsa wrote:Yeah, I totally agree. It was supposed to keep with the theme of the previous issue, but I see that it'll have to be reworked a bit.
(to be fair, I'm alright with the issue devolving from the original, progressively)
For what it's worth, #548 is clearly inspired by #6, but doesn't simply copy its options one-for-one. Don't feel you have to stick to the original format.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 am

Yeah. Besides, it's be more original.

I'll be sure to change that then. :lol:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 28, 2018 8:45 pm

You know, I just noticed something funny.

Currently, #219 actually is available to nations with compulsory atheism, as evidenced by the fact that someone has been seen choosing option 3 while having the policy (it removes the policy, of course - option 1 probably does too, but this has never been observed).

I think Atheism is a fake policy rather than a tracked flag, anyway, as evidenced by the existence of options that only sometimes grant it: #140 2, #298 4, and #720 3, none of which feel like they should be making religion illegal (#298 4 comes close with banning all public promotion of religion, #720 3 only wants to ban some religions, and #140 doesn't even mention religion at all, even though the policies it introduces could offend some religious practices - though, say, Hindus would be just fine with #140 2).

Even weirder, #411 4 removes the Atheism policy despite the speaker clearly being anti-religion.

#423 2 removing the Atheism policy probably does make sense, except that it raises the question of whether a compulsorily-atheist nation would even have a Violetist community to spark the issue (I guess they could be practicing it illegally).

The Kind-of-United States
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kind-of-United States » Tue May 29, 2018 8:20 am

Chan Island wrote:Nice. All I can say is nice. :p

Monty Python is amazing, good job with the reference!
"There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane. Some of them were born sane, while others became sane later in their lives. It is up to people like us, who are out of our tiny little minds, to help them overcome their sanity." --Monty Python's Flying Circus

One published issue:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88&start=50#1008

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 am

Well, I mean, that really turned this draft on its head...
as well as me. :blink:

Uh... think this stuff's worth bringing up in Hufoi?
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 30, 2018 11:37 am

Trotterdam wrote:You know, I just noticed something funny.

Currently, #219 actually is available to nations with compulsory atheism, as evidenced by the fact that someone has been seen choosing option 3 while having the policy (it removes the policy, of course - option 1 probably does too, but this has never been observed).

I think Atheism is a fake policy rather than a tracked flag, anyway, as evidenced by the existence of options that only sometimes grant it: #140 2, #298 4, and #720 3, none of which feel like they should be making religion illegal (#298 4 comes close with banning all public promotion of religion, #720 3 only wants to ban some religions, and #140 doesn't even mention religion at all, even though the policies it introduces could offend some religious practices - though, say, Hindus would be just fine with #140 2).

Even weirder, #411 4 removes the Atheism policy despite the speaker clearly being anti-religion.

#423 2 removing the Atheism policy probably does make sense, except that it raises the question of whether a compulsorily-atheist nation would even have a Violetist community to spark the issue (I guess they could be practicing it illegally).

Seems like somebody should get on it then.

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:You know, I just noticed something funny.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Why did THIS policy switch on or turn off out of line with the issue's story?"
It may be an error, and something to report here. However, it may not. Read the below information first.

The following policies are not on/off binary flags directed by issue editors, but rather were implemented to change when your nation crosses above or below a certain threshold in various freedoms:

Theocracy
    Free Press
    Gun Ownership
    State Press
    No Dissent
    No Drugs
    No Gambling
    Public Protest
    No Marriage
    Arranged Marriage
    Atheism
    Nudism
    Prudity
    State Surveillance

For example, Public Protest looks at a backstage number that often is coded to move when the right to protest is infringed or increased. When that number is below or above a certain threshold (lets arbitrarily say 700/1000, though these aren't the actual numbers) the policy can turn on or off. That means that even a tiny "side-effect" level movement of +1 or -1 can be enough to change the policy flag. Indeed, said change might not even be a result of a narrative relating to protests.

Because these "policies" didn't exist at the time issues were coded, we never considered their activation or deactivation in narratives.

Another example is Theocracy which indicated minimum freedom in choosing your religion, but actions that endorse being free to practice according to your religion are considered pro-freedom on the same scale. This therefore causes a weird situation where a pro-religious choice can deactivate theocracy.

These things are still in discussion backstage, as clearly this is creating narrative disconnects.

For now, consider this to be a known bug.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Techolandia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Why did THIS policy switch on or turn off out of line with the issue's story?"
It may be an error, and something to report here. However, it may not. Read the below information first.

The following policies are not on/off binary flags directed by issue editors, but rather were implemented to change when your nation crosses above or below a certain threshold in various freedoms:

Theocracy
    Free Press
    Gun Ownership
    State Press
    No Dissent
    No Drugs
    No Gambling
    Public Protest
    No Marriage
    Arranged Marriage
    Atheism
    Nudism
    Prudity
    State Surveillance

For example, Public Protest looks at a backstage number that often is coded to move when the right to protest is infringed or increased. When that number is below or above a certain threshold (lets arbitrarily say 700/1000, though these aren't the actual numbers) the policy can turn on or off. That means that even a tiny "side-effect" level movement of +1 or -1 can be enough to change the policy flag. Indeed, said change might not even be a result of a narrative relating to protests.

Because these "policies" didn't exist at the time issues were coded, we never considered their activation or deactivation in narratives.

Another example is Theocracy which indicated minimum freedom in choosing your religion, but actions that endorse being free to practice according to your religion are considered pro-freedom on the same scale. This therefore causes a weird situation where a pro-religious choice can deactivate theocracy.

These things are still in discussion backstage, as clearly this is creating narrative disconnects.

For now, consider this to be a known bug.

Cool. Thanks for this information. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Well, maybe something can still be worked out. I still have to update this draft. :P

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?