NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Art to Ashes, Dress to Dust

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Pertsjan
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Art to Ashes, Dress to Dust

Postby Pertsjan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Fellow nations,

Please review my first attempt to write an issue

Thanks

Art to Ashes, Dress to Dust

After a horrendous accident last night in the beloved @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ national museum involving an electrician and a broken lamp, the top artifact of a widely popular exhibition, a centuries old priceless dress once worn by famous socialite Patty Ceaute went up in flames. Now you have been asked to inspect the burned rags and make a decision to solve this cultural tragedy.

Option 1:

“The people of @@NAME@@ should not know about this, otherwise the valu- i mean cultural spirit of our nation diminishes” says convicted con-man and art enthusiast Seymour Fictus while looking at jewellery that is part of the same exhibition. “Make a replica of the dress and display it, no one will ever notice, besides did you know these ruby’s are actually glass?”

[Effect: The national museum’s ancient helmets collection is made out of plastic]

Option 2:

“A museum should teach its visitors about history and culture with honesty and dignity, and the dress is clearly history now!” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the curator of the exhibition. “The displaying of the dress, or what's left of it should be continued accompanied with a picture of how it once looked, it maybe is not as pleasing to eye as how it once was but at least it got an extra story to be told”

[Effect: The national museum’s new exhibition proudly displays trash and rubble]

Option 3:

“Are we forgetting what ruined this dress in the first place? It burned! BURNED!” screams the hot headed Magnus Bunsen, chief of the fire department. “We need to do everything in order to prevent anything in this museum from ever catching fire again! We need everything to be covered with fire-resistant spray! We need fire-resistant foam coming out of the ceiling when there is fire! Put the most vulnerable artifacts behind concrete walls with only few small windows made of thick fire-resistant glass!” the firefighter continues to ramble about safety measures.

[Effect: The national museum also functions as a shelter for volcano eruptions]

Brizalia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Pertsjan wrote:Fellow nations,

Please review my first attempt to write an issue

Thanks

Art to Ashes, Dress to Dust

After a horrendous accident last night in the beloved @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ national museum involving an electrician and a broken lamp, the top artifact of a widely popular exhibition, a centuries old priceless dress once worn by famous socialite Patty Ceaute went up in flames. Now you have been asked to inspect the burned rags and make a decision to solve this cultural tragedy.

Option 1:

“The people of @@NAME@@ should not know about this, otherwise the valu- i mean cultural spirit of our nation diminishes” says convicted con-man and art enthusiast Seymour Fictus while looking at jewellery that is part of the same exhibition. “Make a replica of the dress and display it, no one will ever notice, besides did you know these ruby’s are actually glass?”

[Effect: The national museum’s ancient helmets collection is made out of plastic]

Option 2:

“A museum should teach its visitors about history and culture with honesty and dignity, and the dress is clearly history now!” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the curator of the exhibition. “The displaying of the dress, or what's left of it should be continued accompanied with a picture of how it once looked, it maybe is not as pleasing to eye as how it once was but at least it got an extra story to be told”

[Effect: The national museum’s new exhibition proudly displays trash and rubble]

Option 3:

“Are we forgetting what ruined this dress in the first place? It burned! BURNED!” screams the hot headed Magnus Bunsen, chief of the fire department. “We need to do everything in order to prevent anything in this museum from ever catching fire again! We need everything to be covered with fire-resistant spray! We need fire-resistant foam coming out of the ceiling when there is fire! Put the most vulnerable artifacts behind concrete walls with only few small windows made of thick fire-resistant glass!” the firefighter continues to ramble about safety measures.

[Effect: The national museum also functions as a shelter for volcano eruptions]

I'd say it seems similar to issue number 492. But I'm not that sure..

Pertsjan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pertsjan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Brizalia wrote:I'd say it seems similar to issue number 492. But I'm not that sure..

492 focusses more on the donation of art to a museum or the possible sale of them, my draft adresses the possible display of replicas and museum safety. I think the two issues are similar in being about museums and art but go a completely different path from there

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 am

For all the millions of artefacts from the thousands of museums across @@NAME@@, why does this one rank so highly?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

You've got a good feel for writing in general, and a decent talent for effect lines that many lack.

The core premise of this issue doesn't feel like a national decision, however. This is a hard thing to quantify, as many existing issues can feel like they cover trivial topics, but it's broadly about it feeling like a decision that a national leader would be asked to deal with, rather than someone else.

In this case, if the sim was called "Museum Manager", then it'd work. But for Nationstates, no.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Pertsjan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pertsjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Thank you for your response.
Yes I agree, this is more an issue for a museum director. Do you think this issue has more potential if I make the problem more severe? For example instead of just one dress the entire national museum’s collection is destroyed, I could continue with having an option for displaying replicas and one about museum safety and add one option for perhaps acquiring foreign art through an unfair deal or through looting or maybe sending out an Indiana Jones like figure. Or should I just let this one go?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm

No matter how severe the problem gets, what would still likely happen is that the museum director decides what to do, and then asks the government for funding to do that thing. What incentive would the government have to micromanage and say "okay, we'll give you funding but only if you do this other thing with it instead" rather than a simple boring yes-no choice of granting the funding or not?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?