NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: Barely Getting By

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED: Barely Getting By

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:08 pm

[title] Barely Getting By

[desc] At the height of a cold autumn, and with winter around the corner, many citizens have come to your office, turned your air conditioning to the lowest temperature and started waiving their frost bitten appendages in your face, demanding that you reverse the ban on clothing

[validity] adults only, compulsory nudity

[option] “Shiver me timbres! It's so cold!” shivers @@RANDOMNAME@@, lugging a freezer of ice to throw at you, “we need clothes for where the sun don't shine! You know, for weeks, inside the polar circle. Brrr...”
[effect] cold air no longer slips through the cracks

[option] "How about we construct indoor walkways between every building?" asks architect @@RANDOMNAME@@, "these walkways can be climate controlled and can allow for connections between every building without needing to ever go outside. That way, it doesn't matter what the temperature is it's always warm enough to be nude. Now as for people who work outside, uh, well..."
[effect] fresh air is the number 1 cause of stiffness

[option] "That'll only servd to make fresh air synonymous with hypothermia," suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who was tackled by your security guards for wearing a tuxedo, "compulsory nudity does work in the tropics, but not elsewhere. So why don't we just make nudity compulsory when the weather hits, say, above 30°C."
[effect] men with small hands have suddenly acquired a taste for mountaineering

[title] Don't be so Nude

[desc] Citizens from the colder parts of @@NAME@@ have come to @@CAPITAL@@ to waive their frost bitten fingers, toes and belly buttons in your face, in protest of compulsory nudism

[validity] compulsory nudity, adults only

[option] "I'm so cold that I'm shivering," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, lugging a freezer full of ice to throw at you, "Shiver me timbres compulsory nudity was a dumb idea. We need to cover ourselves where the sun don't shine- for weeks on end, during the polar night. Compulsory nudity might work in the tropics, but not in the poles. Brrrr..."
[effect] nude skiing is no longer the national pass time
[reversal] compulsory nudity

[option] "How about we construct indoor walkways between every building?" asks architect @@RANDOMNAME@@, "these walkways can be climate controlled and can allow fof connections between every building without needing to ever go outside. That way, it doesn't matter what the temperature is it's always warm enough to be nude. Now as for people who work outside, uh, well..."
[effect] sexist air conditioning is no longer a first world problem

[option] "Someone made a really good point here," suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who was tackled by your security guards for wearing a tuxedo, "compulsory nudity does work in the tropics, but not elsewhere. So why don't we just make nudity compulsory when the weather hits, say, above 30°C."

[title] Don't be so Nude

[desc] Citizens from the colder parts of @@NAME@@ have come to @@CAPITAL@@ to waive their frost bitten fingers, toes and belly buttons in your face, in protest of compulsory nudism

[validity] compulsory nudity, adults only

[option] “I'm so cold that I'm shivering,” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, lugging a freezer full of ice to throw at you, “Shiver me timbres compulsory nudity was a dumb idea. We need to cover ourselves where the sun don't shine- for weeks on end, during the polar night. Compulsory nudity might work in the tropics, but not in the poles. Brrrr...”
[reversal] compulsory nudity
[option] “But you're the ones who chose to live there,” suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a tropical resident with a HD camera around his neck, “Compulsory nudity is good. It prevents criminals from hiding their weapons and is less confronting than a person wearing clothes. If you don't like compulsory nudity, move!”
[effect] snow storms cause residents to flee without even the clothes on their backs
[option] “Someone made a really good point here,” suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who was tackled by your security guards for wearing a tuxedo “compulsory nudity does work in the tropics, but not elsewhere. So why don't we just make nudity compulsory when the weather is hit, say, above 30°C.”

[title] The Naked Truth

[desc] Shivering citizens from the mountainous and polar regions of @@NAME@@ have gathered in your office to wave their frost-bitten fingers in your face, and demand you repeal mandatory nudity

[validity] Must have mandatory nudity, adults only

[option] "I'm so cold that I'm shivering!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, lugging around an esky full of ice to throw at you, "We need to cover ourselves where the sun don't shine, for weeks during the winter and polar night. Mandatory nudity might work in the tropics, but not in the poles!"
[policy reversal] mandatory nudity

[option] "You're the ones who chose to live there," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, "no one told you to go live on top of stupidly tall mountains or in the polar circles. If you don't like nudity, move!"
[effect] snow storms cause citizens to flee without even their clothes on their backs

[option] "The first person is right," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, "Mandatory nudity does work in the tropics, but not elsewhere. So why don't we only make nudity compulsory if the temperature reaches above say, 30°C"
[effect] men with small hands have suspitiously and rapidly acquired a taste for mountaineering
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The dark Panther
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:14 pm

i like it
New nation is Rusthenia

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:46 pm

The Dark Panther wrote:i like it

Thanks! :)
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm going to leave most of the text alone because it definitely has your voice and any improvement I could suggest would possibly rob it of it. What I do want to focus on is the surprising lack of humor. The effect lines are blah and there is virtually no innuendo. What's gotten into you? :P

First off, I had to look up what an "esky" was. It's a very Australian word that other people around the world aren't probably going to understand. Use portable cooler or ice chest or something.

You missed a great opportunity to have speaker 1 start off saying "Shiver me timbers!"

One way you could make a joke would be to add in your description "frost-bitten fingers, toes, and other appendages".

Good luck.
See You Space Cowboy...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Also, gotta say, I really like option 3. Maybe you could even raise that to 40°C?
That'd basically be a reversal on the ban on nudity. :rofl:

(heads up: If it's not already supposed to be a reversal to the ban on nudity, I don't like it as much since it's a lot like option 1)
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:48 pm

We've had a submission about this before that never made it.

Jutsa wrote:Also, gotta say, I really like option 3. Maybe you could even raise that to 40°C?
40°C? That'd be unbearably hot even without any clothes.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Precisely! :rofl:

Edit: Huh. Kinda surprised that didn't make it...

Here's hoping this one does, I guess, though I concur with Drasnia — probably won't make it without more humor.
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am

Glad to see another stab at this being done. Eventually we will win, because righteousness is on our side :p

OK, on to the draft.

What's an esky? I suspect it's an Australian slang term that I as a Brit have never heard of.

It's a very short draft. Personally I like that, but I know there are others who might be more inclined putting a bit more meat onto those bare bones.

2 people are suggesting things, while apparently not doing anything at all. I would quite like to see at least one of those speakers doing something relevant/funny in their option.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Jutsa wrote:Also, gotta say, I really like option 3. Maybe you could even raise that to 40°C?
That'd basically be a reversal on the ban on nudity. :rofl:

(heads up: If it's not already supposed to be a reversal to the ban on nudity, I don't like it as much since it's a lot like option 1)

No it wouldn't, believe me

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Bump for second draft

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Just a stylistic thing, but please use the return button to make the issue not seem quite the wall of text. :p

Anyway, as for the issue itself the problem I have with it as it stands is that it is just a straight up repeal- something the editors have made abundantly clear is something they are not interested in. You need to have some alternative, new routes to go down.

The most foremost one I can think is in city construction. Look for example at Minneapolis in Minnesota: in the city centre they have bridges across various buildings because going outside in their winter temperatures is something people want to avoid. You could have it where people can live all of their lives indoors with no problems.

Another is option 2's person does not address the actual issue very much. I think their reasons for supporting compulsory nudity should be more closely linked to their tropical residence, or cite relevant things.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 01, 2018 2:40 am

Huh, before my time. I would have published that draft, personally.

I like this one too though.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Drasnia wrote:What I do want to focus on is the surprising lack of humor. The effect lines are blah and there is virtually no innuendo. What's gotten into you? :P
One way you could make a joke would be to add in your description "frost-bitten fingers, toes, and other appendages".

An issue about a bunch of naked people in the snow demands something about stiffness.

Or blue...um, appendages. That might be pushing it.
Last edited by Ab Humanitatis Scientiam on Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Third Draft is up

Chan Island wrote:Just a stylistic thing, but please use the return button to make the issue not seem quite the wall of text. :p

Anyway, as for the issue itself the problem I have with it as it stands is that it is just a straight up repeal- something the editors have made abundantly clear is something they are not interested in. You need to have some alternative, new routes to go down.

The most foremost one I can think is in city construction. Look for example at Minneapolis in Minnesota: in the city centre they have bridges across various buildings because going outside in their winter temperatures is something people want to avoid. You could have it where people can live all of their lives indoors with no problems.

Another is option 2's person does not address the actual issue very much. I think their reasons for supporting compulsory nudity should be more closely linked to their tropical residence, or cite relevant things.

Thanks

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Bump

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Lose the "belly buttons" and use the "other appendages." Even for people that don't think about what other appendages you might have in mind, it just sounds better. Belly buttons are weirdly specific.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Lose the "belly buttons" and use the "other appendages." Even for people that don't think about what other appendages you might have in mind, it just sounds better. Belly buttons are weirdly specific.

Next draft is up. Thanks!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I'd assume winter would be in full swing when this becomes a problem, or has recently started. Either that or mention that it's been an unusually cold autumn and now people are worried about the potential winter.

Also, in option 2 the word is 'for', I presume.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Chan Island wrote:I'd assume winter would be in full swing when this becomes a problem, or has recently started. Either that or mention that it's been an unusually cold autumn and now people are worried about the potential winter.

Also, in option 2 the word is 'for', I presume.

Thanks! Edited
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:06 am

613's title seems to overlap this one.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:613's title seems to overlap this one.

How about 'The Naked Truth?'
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:613's title seems to overlap this one.

How about 'The Naked Truth?'

'Barely Getting By'.

It's OK, I know where the door is.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:04 am

"A Little Bit Cold"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 am

Chan Island wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:How about 'The Naked Truth?'

'Barely Getting By'.

Oh, I like that one!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
'Barely Getting By'.

Oh, I like that one!

Well.... OK.

Other than that, I'm happy with this. See what the others think though.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?