NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates issue results

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 06, 2018 8:18 am

Sapnu puas wrote:What happens when your website is temporarily in a 502 error? I noticed that it always comes back up; what is the website (or you) doing?
I have no idea. The website is run by my ISP, not me. I just upload the files.

Nothing I do should be able to cause a 502 error, and the extreme simplicity of the site (just static HTML) should mean there's not much that can go wrong in general. If you do get an error, it probably means a temporary glitch at my ISP. Simply try again in a minute and it'll probably have cleared up.

Eztobrughri
Attaché

Founded: May 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eztobrughri » Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 pm

***casually bookmarks***
- THE STAR EMPIRE OF EZTOBRUGHRI -
__ Hail The House of Imminent War, May it's vast Legions keep us from Harm's way.
__ May the House of Ancients reclaim their ancient Glory from the War King!
ENN: BREAKING: The Authority Trials have begun! Challengers Needed! / The Imperial Conflict rages on in The Garden, could this be the start of a conflict much larger than we first thought?: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=442687
An 8.8 civilization, according to this index.
-NS Stats are faek orb.
-All Hail the Almighty Glow Cloud.

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Sun May 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I'd like it if percentage changes were also listed. Would it be possible for you to add those?

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Techolandia wrote:I'd like it if percentage changes were also listed. Would it be possible for you to add those?

Percentage changes mean squat, as they are entirely tied to existing nation stats. Hard numbers are always more useful

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 am

I wonder if the the causes of death have been considered for inclusion before? It hasn't been asked here before now.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 07, 2018 8:05 am

Minoa wrote:I wonder if the the causes of death have been considered for inclusion before? It hasn't been asked here before now.
Considered and rejected.

One major reason is that the causes of death need to always add up to 100%, so pretty much every issue that increases/decreases any death cause will also affect all the others, even if it has nothing directly to do with them, which would lead to a lot of clutter. Actually this turns out to happen for included stats too (particularly industries and government departments - and you can see that this does already cause a lot of inconvenient clutter), but at least those are more meaningful, and come with the other stuff I'm doing.

[violet] herself admitted that the current causes-of-death model is poorly-designed, and doesn't concord well with the Lifespan / Death Rate scores (borne out by my personal experience: selection options that purport to fix the primary cause of death in your nation can easily end up raising your Death Rate). While there is a possibility of an update to the model at some point (though the admins clearly don't consider it important enough to make that a priority either), until then I largely advise ignoring it.

Every separate type of data I want to include (accessed via a different API shard) takes additional coding, while including more of the same type of data (any new census scores that get added, given that I'm already following census scores) is almost effortless. Tracking some legacy code that the game's editors and admins themselves admit isn't worth much wasn't a priority.

Sapnu puas
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 25, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sapnu puas » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am

http://www.mwq.dds.nl/ns/results/409.html
Option 1 says "???", but it says for me "the nation thirsts for new freedoms."
Also, I couldn't get a copy of the results, but it made my bottling go up >100% (101.74 to 415.75)
and sadly, my trout industry went down 0.20% :(
AKA QuazzleTheQaz
Yes, I know my name is a bad joke. If you don't get it, read it upside down.

“A lot happens to a nation when you don't focus on what you desire, rather than me specifically focusing on (mainly) trout, cheese, nudity, and many other areas!”

It is worth noting that my nation does not represent my personal beliefs.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am

Sapnu puas wrote:http://www.mwq.dds.nl/ns/results/409.html
Option 1 says "???", but it says for me "the nation thirsts for new freedoms."
Also, I couldn't get a copy of the results, but it made my bottling go up >100% (101.74 to 415.75)
and sadly, my trout industry went down 0.20% :(

That probably means you're the first person to choose option 1.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Well, not necessarily; just means that Trot's thing hasn't come across a nation that has.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Mon May 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Jutsa wrote:Well, not necessarily; just means that Trot's thing hasn't come across a nation that has.

And didn't answer another issue quickly, else it voids the data. Now that's more likely.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Chan Island wrote:That probably means you're the first person to choose option 1.
Not quite.

The effect line used to be "the nation has a counterculture of sobriety", but I suspected a while ago that it had been changed to "the nation thirsts for new freedoms" but wasn't sure, so I left the entry blank for now. With your confirmation, I can now formally enter the new effect line, and it'll show up on the next site update. Which I have now triggered a few hours early to show this off :)

You'll see that I in fact had a fair amount of data on that effect line, which is now retroactively visible as soon as I assigned it to an issue option.

If it were a matter of nobody choosing it, then you would see the effect line rather than "???", but there would be no data on what it does. For example, #285 option 1 or #301 option 2.

When you see a "???" and you find out what the effect line is, please tell me in this thread (just like you just did). Same if you got a different effect line than my site predicted.

If my effect line is correct but there's simply no data on it, don't bother posting about it here. Instead, use the guidelines in the NAQ to maximize the chances of your answer getting captured.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 am

no economic output
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 am

He Qixin wrote:no economic output
Please speak in sentences.

Economic Output is not listed because it scales with your population, and so can change even without answering issues. Thus, attempting to track it would result in seeing changes that aren't really due to the issue you answered, but rather due to your population increasing at update time. Furthermore, even when an issue does change Economic Output, the magnitude of the change would depend on the size of your nation, despite this having nothing to with the issue.

However, Average Income is simply your Economic Output divided by population (this is an oversimplification of how real-life economics works, but fair enough), and is tracked. So if you want to know how an issue will affect your Economic Output, just look at how it's predicted to affect your Average Income, and multiply by your population.

Unfortunately, an analogous Black Market per Capita stat does not currently exist, and I didn't want to code a special exception to calculate it myself instead of using official census scores, so my site does not currently allow you to predict how an issue will affect the black market. I've tried asking for one to be added (and am by no means the only person who would appreciate this), but...

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 am

Trotterdam wrote:Please speak in sentences.

Alright.

Trotterdam wrote:Economic Output is not listed because it scales with your population, and so can change even without answering issues. Thus, attempting to track it would result in seeing changes that aren't really due to the issue you answered, but rather due to your population increasing at update time. Furthermore, even when an issue does change Economic Output, the magnitude of the change would depend on the size of your nation, despite this having nothing to with the issue.

oh really? no wonder i have seen nations who didn't answer issues yet still see increase in economic output.

Trotterdam wrote:However, Average Income is simply your Economic Output divided by population (this is an oversimplification of how real-life economics works, but fair enough), and is tracked. So if you want to know how an issue will affect your Economic Output, just look at how it's predicted to affect your Average Income, and multiply by your population.

i actually didn't know that until now! :eek: thanks for telling me!

Trotterdam wrote:Unfortunately, an analogous Black Market per Capita stat does not currently exist, and I didn't want to code a special exception to calculate it myself instead of using official census scores, so my site does not currently allow you to predict how an issue will affect the black market. I've tried asking for one to be added (and am by no means the only person who would appreciate this), but...

i think we all have to use common sense here to predict. anyway, thanks for the explanation!

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:That probably means you're the first person to choose option 1.
Not quite.

The effect line used to be "the nation has a counterculture of sobriety", but I suspected a while ago that it had been changed to "the nation thirsts for new freedoms" but wasn't sure, so I left the entry blank for now. With your confirmation, I can now formally enter the new effect line, and it'll show up on the next site update. Which I have now triggered a few hours early to show this off :)

You'll see that I in fact had a fair amount of data on that effect line, which is now retroactively visible as soon as I assigned it to an issue option.

If it were a matter of nobody choosing it, then you would see the effect line rather than "???", but there would be no data on what it does. For example, #285 option 1 or #301 option 2.

When you see a "???" and you find out what the effect line is, please tell me in this thread (just like you just did). Same if you got a different effect line than my site predicted.

If my effect line is correct but there's simply no data on it, don't bother posting about it here. Instead, use the guidelines in the NAQ to maximize the chances of your answer getting captured.

Fair enough.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 am

He Qixin wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Please speak in sentences.

Alright.

:rofl:

Sentences!

Him no understand.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
He Qixin wrote:
Alright.

:rofl:

Sentences!

Him no understand.

To my uneducated mind, a word and a period is still technically a sentence ;)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 am

Yes.

Suppose.

Still, it was a fun observation. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Which, as a side effect, means that I will never have data on the two issues in the game that require you to be in the WA as a prerequisite... unless you jump through the hoops of getting the issue, resigning from the WA while leaving it unanswered, and then waiting long enough for my program to notice that you're not in the WA anymore before answering another issue first to update my stored snapshot of your stats and only then answering the original issue it was all about. Yeah, I didn't think you'd be thrilled.
I stand corrected, by the way. I now have at least one data point on every option of #132 and #837.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Which, as a side effect, means that I will never have data on the two issues in the game that require you to be in the WA as a prerequisite... unless you jump through the hoops of getting the issue, resigning from the WA while leaving it unanswered, and then waiting long enough for my program to notice that you're not in the WA anymore before answering another issue first to update my stored snapshot of your stats and only then answering the original issue it was all about. Yeah, I didn't think you'd be thrilled.
I stand corrected, by the way. I now have at least one data point on every option of #132 and #837.

I'm guessing those data points jumped through those hoops.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Chan Island wrote:I'm guessing those data points jumped through those hoops.
Well, obviously. Though probably not deliberately - I guess that particular sequence of events just happens to be more common than I thought it would be.

"Common" being relative, of course, because one data point after all this time isn't much. Definitely better than nothing, though.

If someone has been deliberately doing that after reading this thread, I'd like to know who!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Well, obviously. Though probably not deliberately - I guess that particular sequence of events just happens to be more common than I thought it would be.

"Common" being relative, of course, because one data point after all this time isn't much. Definitely better than nothing, though.

If someone has been deliberately doing that after reading this thread, I'd like to know who!

And give them a salute.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 am

Trotterdam wrote:

do what?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 am

He Qixin wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Well, obviously. Though probably not deliberately - I guess that particular sequence of events just happens to be more common than I thought it would be.

do what?

^It turns out somebody did do that.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am

Chan Island wrote:
He Qixin wrote:do what?

^It turns out somebody did do that.

oh so that's how you get stats which issue validity requires you to be in the WA...
Last edited by He Qixin on Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?