NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Please Rise for @@LEADER@@

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Please Rise for @@LEADER@@

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 am

Had this one on my computer for a while but thought it was too much toilet humour for NS. However, in light of "946: Better In Than Out", thought I may as well share.

SECOND DRAFT: Changes from first draft underlined
TITLE:

Please Rise for @@LEADER@@

VALIDITY:

Named leader. Not a violetist nation.

DESCRIPTION:

Earlier today you had a half-hour telephone call with @@randomname@@, the Interim President of West Lilliputia. Significant progress was made on the "Lilliputian Freedom Fighter" issue and on planning a joined-up approach to countering Ultra-Violetist radicalisation. You were feeling pretty pleased, till near the end of the conversation you heard a distinctive plopping noise followed by the sound of flushing.

OPTION ONE

"I'm afraid our analysis of ceramic echoes, grunt mapping and sound library matching confirms it," explains audio engineer Tony Blunt. "President @@surname(1)@@ was on the toilet for the entire conversation. I mean, that's pretty rude. You should let your diplomatic corps let @@him(1)@@ know that you know, and lodge an official complaint."

Outcome: careful control of body language is considered essential to good diplomacy

OPTION TWO

"Hold on, this isn't just rudeness, it's a calculated insult," says hawkish Admiral Khyberpass, waving a bayonet around. "You let this go unanswered, and @@HE@@'ll be flinging it at you like a monkey next! You have to take punitive military action to show them you won't be insulted; a few u-boat strikes could turn their floaters into sinkers. Cold steel! They don't like it up 'em!"

Outcome: diplomats visiting @@NAME@@ decline any dish containing beans

OPTION THREE

"The noblest search is the search for advantage," strategises former politician Lennon B Jonston. "You should take a page from the book of our Llilliputian friend and make it your regular habit to use the bathroom when talking with foreign dignitaries, ministers and reporters. It shows that every second you have is precious, and you don't have time to stand on ceremony. Or, in fact, sit on ceremony, as your needs demand."

Outcome: proclamations are often made from @@LEADER@@'s throne

OPTION FOUR

"Ohmigod why are you all so EMBARRASSING?" whines your teenage niece, adjusting her rainbow mohawk, touching up her neon-green lipstick and doing the floss dance. "Can't you just pretend you, like, had totally not noticed, and like, never ever say anything about this ever again. Ohmigod! Old people shouldn't talk about toilet stuff! It's totally cringeworthy!"

Outcome: wise man say "he who denied it supplied it"

FIRST DRAFT:
TITLE:

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Earlier today you had a half-hour telephone call with @@randomname@@, the Interim President of West Lilliputia. Significant progress was made on the "Lilliputian Freedom Fighter" issue and on planning a joined-up approach to countering Ultra-Violetist radicalisation. You were feeling pretty pleased, till near the end of the conversation you heard a distinctive plopping noise followed by the sound of flushing.

OPTION ONE

"I'm afraid our analysis of ceramic echoes, grunt mapping and sound library matching confirms it," explains audio engineer Tony Blunt. "President @@surname(1)@@ was on the toilet for the entire conversation. I mean, that's pretty rude. You should let your diplomatic corps let @@him(1)@@ know that you know, and lodge an official complaint."

Outcome: careful control of body language is considered essential to good diplomacy

OPTION TWO

"Hold on, this isn't just rudeness, it's a calculated insult," says hawkish General Khyberpass, waving a bayonet around. "You let this go unanswered, and @@HE@@'ll be flinging it at you like a monkey next! You have to take punitive military action, to show that you don't suffer indignities lightly. Cold steel! They don't like it up 'em!"

OPTION THREE

"Ohmigod why are you all so EMBARASSING?" whines your teenage niece, adjusting her rainbow mohawk, touching up her neon-green lipstick and doing the floss dance. "Can't you just pretend you, like, had totally not noticed, and like, never ever say anything about this ever again. Ohmigod! Old people shouldn't talk about toilet stuff! It's totally cringeworthy!"

Outcome: wise man say "he who denied it, supplied it,"
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:10 am

What the...?! :clap:
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am

I have no idea.

That's all I can say.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Feria-Alkaline
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feria-Alkaline » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:58 am

Candlewhisper, are you sure the stress isn't getting to you..?
Sincerely, me.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 am

:rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Divine Unity
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Divine Unity » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:02 am

This looks reasonably made.
(insert joke about Leader sending tweets from the toilet at 3AM)
His Eminence,
+Primate Sean Cardinal Kilpatrick
Unworthy Servant and Chosen Sinner
Sovereign Primate of Divine Unity
Metropolitan Archbishop of Fuil Chriost
Founder of The EverLit Torch

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 am

While many assume this to be a joke and are simply making comments, I'm going to critique it.

Frankly, I dont think you're taking this issue seriously enough yourself.

You should add an option in there where you embrace Porcelain Diplomacy. "As my old great-grandpappy Teddy Maxevelt used to say, "Flush softly and carry a big stick"."

I mean, that's an example, but you should have an option where working with other diplomats while on the can becomes an endorsed form of negotiations. It'd make sense.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:13 pm

I agree. After all, wouldn't you be honored to have someone working so hard that their only time to make business calls is on the can?
I'd legitimately pick that option. :rofl:

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:22 pm

There needs to be an LBJ reference in here somewhere: he was notorious for dragging people into the bathroom to continue a conversation.

EDIT: Link's safe, btw. It's C-Span.
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:32 pm

can confirm.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:22 am

I do enjoy toilet humour, but I am upset that this is acceptable whilst my issue about females complaining about public urinals is considered too much toilet humour, despite the latter actually making the news.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=418664

Anyways, how could you not notice @@HE@@ was in the shitter? I mean, don't usually sit next to them with these things? I mean, surely you've noticed @@HE@@'s no longer in the same room
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:11 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I do enjoy toilet humour, but I am upset that this is acceptable whilst my issue about females complaining about public urinals is considered too much toilet humour, despite the latter actually making the news.

Anyways, how could you not notice @@HE@@ was in the shitter? I mean, don't usually sit next to them with these things? I mean, surely you've noticed @@HE@@'s no longer in the same room

That issue wasn't considered too much, you just already did an issue like that before...

Also, the meeting was over the phone, it wasn't in person. Thus, it is entirely reasonable that the leader would not know that @@HE@@ was on the toilet until they heard the flush.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:There needs to be an LBJ reference in here somewhere: he was notorious for dragging people into the bathroom to continue a conversation.

EDIT: Link's safe, btw. It’s C-Span.

Yes!
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:37 am

A good issue! While many are treating this as a joke, I think this is a serious thing that would genuinely do for the leader of a nation to consider, especially with that description. However, the problem with the description I think is the validities it is inviting. Surely you could make the conversation be much vaguer as to what it was about, say for example just "the issue of terrorism".
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am

Chan Island wrote: However, the problem with the description I think is the validities it is inviting. Surely you could make the conversation be much vaguer as to what it was about, say for example just "the issue of terrorism".

Use of naval resources for humanitarian relief.

Maybe it's a stretch, but it's there. If you want to get super explicit in the options, change the general to an admiral and have him threaten to turn their floaters into sinkers.

...no? Too far? OK. :(
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:03 pm

omg

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:
Chan Island wrote: However, the problem with the description I think is the validities it is inviting. Surely you could make the conversation be much vaguer as to what it was about, say for example just "the issue of terrorism".

Use of naval resources for humanitarian relief.

Maybe it's a stretch, but it's there. If you want to get super explicit in the options, change the general to an admiral and have him threaten to turn their floaters into sinkers.

...no? Too far? OK. :(

I.... I love this. I love this very much! :rofl: :hug:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 pm

I concur with Chan's suggestion of removing the violet restriction.

I also wasn't kidding; I would legitimately pick an option 4 that appreciates
and congratulates people that are busy enough to work while in the restroom.

At the moment, the three options all seem pretty much like "ew, this is bad".

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:23 pm

It's not a joke draft, except in the sense that I try to make all drafts either funny or ethically challenging (and this one is a stab at the former).

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Palos Heights wrote:While many assume this to be a joke and are simply making comments, I'm going to critique it.

Frankly, I dont think you're taking this issue seriously enough yourself.

You should add an option in there where you embrace Porcelain Diplomacy. "As my old great-grandpappy Teddy Maxevelt used to say, "Flush softly and carry a big stick"."

I mean, that's an example, but you should have an option where working with other diplomats while on the can becomes an endorsed form of negotiations. It'd make sense.

Interesting thought, will think on it. Especially with the LBJ tie in, as I wasn't aware of his predilection for toilet meetings.

edit: Okay, new version up.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:26 pm

You should really add an LBJ refrence
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I do enjoy toilet humour, but I am upset that this is acceptable whilst my issue about females complaining about public urinals is considered too much toilet humour, despite the latter actually making the news.

In response to your issue I said:

I think there's always room for more toilet humour, personally, but I don't think this issue premise has enough going on to be worth running with.

Not sure how you could read that comment as a complaint about there being too much toilet humour.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Love the new option. Rejoice :clap:

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Orange words are suggestions, orange ellipsis are removed phrases, underlined words are comments. Also, who would stay on the toilet for half an hour, unless it's because of a Haribo's Sugarless? Which gives me an idea...

TITLE:

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Earlier today you had a half-hour telephone call with @@randomname@@, the Interim President of West Lilliputia. Significant progress was made on the "Lilliputian Freedom Fighter" issue and on planning a joint counterattack against Ultra-Violetist radicalisation. You were feeling pretty pleased, till near the end of the conversation you heard a distinctive plopping noise followed by the sound of flushing.

OPTION ONE

"I'm afraid our analysis of ceramic echoes, grunt mapping and sound library matching confirms it," explains audio engineer Tony Blunt. "President @@surname(1)@@ was on the toilet for the entire conversation. I mean, that's awfully rude. You should have your diplomatic corps let @@him(1)@@ know that you know, and lodge an official complaint against him."

OPTION TWO

"Hold on, this isn't just rudeness, it's a calculated insult," says hawkish Admiral Khyberpass, waving a bayonet around. "You let this go unanswered, and @@HE@@'ll be flinging it at you like a monkey soon! You must take punitive military action to show them you won't be insulted; a few u-boat strikes could turn their floaters into sinkers. Cold steel! They don't like it up 'em!"

No comments on option 3

OPTION FOUR

"Ohmigod, why are you all so EMBARRASSING?" whines your teenage niece [color=#FF6A00]while simultaneously/color] adjusting her rainbow mohawk, touching up her neon-green lipstick and doing the floss dance. "Can't you just pretend you, like, had totally not noticed, and like, never ever say anything about this ever again. Ohmigod! Old people shouldn't talk about toilet stuff! It's totally cringeworthy!"

Outcome: wise man say "he who denied it supplied it"
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 am

Good catch on the spelling error on embarrassing. Other changes seem stylistic and unneeded, so I've not used them, thanks.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?