NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Smoking Out the Smoke

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Smoking Out the Smoke

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

Welp, here's my attempt at a smoking reversal. :lol:

I've gotta say that this took me a lot of research into how second-hand smoking works and found that some of the main arguments against it really apply to most smoke.
Tried to make this draft work for both restricted and banned smoking. Not the end of the world if this doesn't work,
since I know it's a little bit stretchy, but I'd like to try it out anyway. :)

Note: Nicotine is never banned in NS; only smoking, and I'm pretty sure it'd be too difficult to ban nicotine given many alternative options to smoking still use it,
so I decided to go with the smoke approach instead. Furthermore, I tried not to make this about reversing the ban on smoking, and rather about trying to expand on it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I could use some help with the last three effect lines. :blush:
Edit5: I'm aware of my edits, but I also wanted to mention that I specifically tried writing this so it could make sense to get it more than once.

Title: Smoking Out the Smoke
The Issue: Following the restriction of smoking, more and more people appear to finally be adjusting. However, a report has come to your desk detailing several investigations, including one held at an incense and scented candles festival held in @@ANIMAL@@ county, that suggest some of the real culprits of lung cancer and cardiovascular illnesses have gone without debate — until now.
Validity: Smoking is illegal OR Smoking is restricted to private homes

Option 1: "As this report shows, the effects of second-hand smoking are prominent as long as smoke persists," explains @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, showing an impressive graph with various burning items drawn underneath. "Incense alone can release far more CO than a cigarette, not to mention the 'tar' they produce. It's clear we need to set more restrictions for the usage of fireplaces, candles, incense, barbecue grills, you name it — especially in public buildings. It's the only way we'll snuff out this problem."
[effect] an investigation launches every time a match is lit to measure its importance

Validity: Smoking is still legal in private
Option 2: "Not the barbecues! Er — I mean, all of those things are necessary for cold winter nights and commemoration ceremonies," counters @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a candle, failing to make @@HIM@@self look more serious. "If you really want to lower the amount of smoke, ban smoking from private quarters. First-hand smoking is still a major concern, so that alone would be a massive improvement — not as much as the fancy-graph @@MAN_1@@'s suggestion, but at least people won't gripe about it as much... I think."
[effect] police officers are equipped with an ABC protection suit in case of a smoke raid
[flag change] Smoking is Illegal

Option 3: "Don't you think that's still a bit much?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a medical researcher and heavy smoker. "We should encourage less use of products that produce smoke, yes, but instead of using your tax money to enforce this, you should be helping our health and educational services. We need less brute force, and more health care, research, and awareness."
[effect] children are afraid of entering a smokers' houses

Validity: Smoking is completely illegal, even in private
Option 4: "Don't you think that's a bit unrealistic?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, reaching for a lighter only to remember that smoking is banned. "Smoke is going to be everywhere, no matter what. Instead of using your tax money to enforce more restrictions, you should transfer some of your funds to help health and educational services. We need less brute force, and more health care, research, and awareness."
[effect] students learn to differentiate between over 50 different shades of smoke

Option 5: "Ha! I told ya this was a terrible idea!" laughs raspy-voiced @@RANDOMNAME@@, stepping out from behind a thick wall of smoke you can't make out the origin of. "You can't get away from smoke, @@LEADER@@, and this just proves that your actions are a futile attempt to ban an unstoppable force. Why should smoking be any different? Save the taxpayers' money and let us smoke whenever and wherever we please!"
[effect] the Great @@DENOMNYMADJECTIVE@@ Nebula is seen as a force of nature
[flag change] Smoking is legal(even in public)

The Issue: Following the restriction of smoking, the overall rate of lung cancer and cardiovascular problems have declined. However, a recent investigation, launched during an incense and scented candles festival held in @@ANIMAL@@ county, has shown that some of the real culprits have not been discussed — until now.

Option 1: "As this investigation shows, the effects of second-hand smoking are prominent as long as smoke persists," explains @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, showing an impressive graph with various burning items drawn underneath. "Incense alone can release far more CO than a cigarette, not to mention the 'tar' they produce. It's clear we need to set more restrictions for the usage of fireplaces, candles, incense, barbecue, you name it — especially in public buildings. It's the only way we'll snuff out this problem."
[effect] an investigation launches every time a match is lit to measure its importance

Option 2: "Not the barbecues! Er — I mean, all of those things are necessary for cold winter nights and commemoration ceremonies," counters @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a candle, failing to make @@HIM@@self look more serious. "If you really want to lower the amount of smoke, ban smoking from private quarters. First-hand smoking is still a major concern, so that alone would be a massive improvement — not as much as the fancy-graph @@MAN_1@@'s suggestion, but at least people won't gripe about it as much... I think."
[effect] police officers are equipped with an ABC protection suit in case of a smoke raid

Option 3: "Don't you think that's still a bit much?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a medical researcher and heavy smoker. "We should encourage less use of products that produce smoke, yes, but instead of using your tax money to enforce this, you should be helping our health and educational services. We need less brute force, and more health care, research, and awareness."
[effect] children are afraid of entering smokers' houses

Option 4: "Don't you think that's a bit unrealistic?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, reaching for a lighter only to remember that smoking is banned. "Smoke is going to be everywhere, no matter what. Instead of using your tax money to enforce more restrictions, you should transfer some of your funds to help health and educational services. We need less brute force, and more health care, research, and awareness."
[effect] students learn to differentiate between over 50 different shades of smoke

Option 5: "Ha! I told ya this was a terrible idea!" laughs raspy-voiced @@RANDOMNAME@@, stepping out from behind a thick wall of smoke you can't make out the origin of. "You can't get away from smoke, @@LEADER@@, and this just proves that your actions are a futile attempt to ban an unstoppable force. Why should smoking be any different? Save the taxpayers' money and let us smoke whenever and wherever we please!"

The Issue: Following the restriction of smoking, the overall rate of lung cancer and cardiovascular problems have declined. However, a recent investigation, launched during an incense and scented candles festival held in @@ANIMAL@@ county, has shown that some of the real culprits have not been discussed — until now.

Option 1: "As this investigation shows, the effects of second-hand and third-hand smoking are prominent as long as smoke persists," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing an impressive graph with various burning items drawn underneath. "Incense alone can release far more CO than a cigarette, not to mention the 'tar' they produce. It's clear we need to set more restrictions for the usage of fireplaces, candles, incense, you name it — especially in public buildings. It's the only way we'll snuff out this problem."

Option 2: "All of those things are necessary for cold winter nights and making your home smell nice," counters @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a candle, failing to make @@HIM@@self look more serious. "If you really want to lower the amount of smoke, ban smoking from private quarters. First-hand smoking is still a major concern, and just banning this should be an improvement — not as much as your suggestion, but at least people won't gripe about it as much... I think."

[effect] children are afraid of entering a smokers' houses

[effect] students learn to differentiate between over 9000 different sorts of haze

Option 1: "As this investigation shows, the effects of second-hand and third-hand smoking are prominent as long as smoke persists," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing an impressive graph with various burning items drawn underneath. "Incense alone can release far more CO than a cigarette, not to mention the 'tar' they produce. It's clear we need to set more restrictions for the usage of fireplaces, candles, incense, you name it — especially in public buildings. It's the only way we'll snuff out this problem."

Option 2: "All of those things are necessary for cold winter nights and making your home smell nice," counters @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a candle, failing to make @@HIM@@self look more serious. "If you really want to lower the amount of smoke, ban smoking from private quarters. First-hand smoking is still a major concern, and just banning this should be an improvement — not as much as your suggestion, but at least people won't gripe about it as much... I think."
[effect] people are throwing their old cigarettes into fire places to keep warm and get a quick high

[effect] ???

[effect] ???

[effect] ???
[flag change] Smoking is legal
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 21 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:51 am

Bump. :3
Edit: Also fixed a few phrases... whoops .-.
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Why exactly do you need candles in winter? Fire place fair enough, but candles?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Candles are good for lights. I'd put it in for "when the power goes out", but that doesn't really work if nations have no power to begin with and I'd rather not make yet another option for that reason.

Edit: Plus scented candles are a thing, so that also falls under "making things smell nice". :3

Edit2: Actually they'd also be good on winter nights — and lights in general — in the event that you don't have lights.
Either I planned way more ahead than I thought, or I just got super lucky.
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 am

Bump~

Still having troubles with the effect lines, if anyone can come up with something.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:21 am

Effect 2: The Police is equipped with an ABC Protection suit in case of a smoke raid.

Effect 3: @@DENOMNYM@@ children are afraid of entering a smoker's house

Effect 4: Pupils of @@NAME@@ learn to differentiate between over 9000 different sorts of haze

Effect 5: The Great @@DENOMNYM@@ Nebula is seen as a force of Nature.

Hoped it helped to find creative ideas :)
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:33 am

Ok, yeah, I'll use these. :rofl:

Definitely going to cut 9000 down to 90 though, unless that's referencing something.
Also pluralizing "a smoker's house".

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 am

Jutsa wrote:Ok, yeah, I'll use these. :rofl:

Definitely going to cut 9000 down to 90 though, unless that's referencing something.
Also pluralizing "a smoker's house".

It's a meme that I used as a placeholder :p

Author of issue 1201

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 am

Oh, yeah :rofl:

Alright I'll keep it that for now at least, unless anyone has a better number.

Anything else?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Jutsa wrote:Candles are good for lights. I'd put it in for "when the power goes out", but that doesn't really work if nations have no power to begin with and I'd rather not make yet another option for that reason.

Edit: Plus scented candles are a thing, so that also falls under "making things smell nice". :3

Edit2: Actually they'd also be good on winter nights — and lights in general — in the event that you don't have lights.
Either I planned way more ahead than I thought, or I just got super lucky.

Yeah, and New Age people like them, too. They are good for creating the perfect "spiritual ambience." Also good for a romantic, candle-lit dinner.

And protests and commemorations.

They have so many uses.

Jutsa wrote:
[box]

What is third-hand smoking?

Why is the word "tar" in quotation marks? I think you could do without them. :blink:

By the way, how about barbecue parties? ;) :p
[effect] students learn to differentiate between over 9000 different sorts of haze

We really need a "50 Shades of Smoke" joke here. :p
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

1) Yeah, definitely lots of uses for them... idk if I wanna put them all in though. :P

2) Yeah, third hand smoke is something I didn't know existed until looking this up too, but it's a very real concern that's not covered by the media.
I highly recommend googling it if you don't know what it is. I'd explain it but that'd be too long; I'd remove it but I think it's legit enough to mention.

3) I did that because that's apparently done on some cigarettes to try and avoid confusion with the molting carbon kind of tar.

4) omg very good point; gotta think of how to deal with that one.

5) y e s.

Thank you, FuF! Nice to see you back :D

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Alright, updated option 1 a little and option 2 quite a bit. Also added the effect line.

Option 2's speaker kinda switched between talking to you and the previous speaker, so that's hopefully been fixed.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm

love the alteration of the pupils fallout

Author of issue 1201

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Eh, removed third-hand smoking from the third draft. Admittedly only two people suggested such, but still.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Following the restriction of smoking, the overall rate of lung cancer and cardiovascular problems have declined. However, a recent investigation, launched during an incense and scented candles festival held in @@ANIMAL@@ county, has shown that some of the real culprits have not been discussed — until now.

I'm not entirely sure how well this actually works. It seems to me it would take a long time (years) before there is any noticeable drop in diagnoses of smoking-related illnesses. It breaks my suspension of disbelief. While I think this is a good idea for following up banning/limiting smoking, I think the dilemma needs to be different.

The first solution that comes to mind (mind you this is only to give you ideas not to say this is absolutely how you should pivot it) would be to have some sort of personal anecdote instead. Like maybe more and more people are able to kick their smoking habits, but there are concerns that others are using scented candles and incense as a substitute. Play around with it. Have some fun.
See You Space Cowboy...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 am

Jutsa wrote:Candles are good for lights. I'd put it in for "when the power goes out", but that doesn't really work if nations have no power to begin with and I'd rather not make yet another option for that reason.

Yep, fire places
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Bump! I don't know if that's exactly what you had at mind, Drasnia, but I tried to adjust your primary concern.
I hope I at least addressed part of it. :)

I also changed option 1 a tiny bit, by
a) changing "investigation" to "report" and
b) changing "barbecues" to "barbecue grills".
afaik, you can't use barbecues... :P

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting premise and approach. Details will need tweaking, but I approve broadly of the narrative direction.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

Can't tell you how much a CWA approval means to me. :lol:

Very happy to hear. If it only needs some tweaking, then I probably won't wait long to submit this one. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:11 pm

And it has been submitted! Many thanks. :D

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Good luck!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks. :D

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Good idea and good luck :)
See You Space Cowboy...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?