NATION

PASSWORD

Schoolarize NationStates

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Schoolarize NationStates

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm

It does bug me to no end how satire, when digested by young and malleable minds, can easily transform into a tool for grooming future tyrants. For examples, students may not understand the importance of having qualified justices in the S.C.
(issue #60) or the inherent danger of a hitler-like despot riding into power on a populist steed (issue #560). So to set the record straight, in a way that's fair and impartial but not game-breaking, I recommend:

a senior editor/admin maybe then the Barry himself! run through all the issues - the whole gamut - and briefly tag each and every one with:
[Edu] explain briefly real life S.C. appointment procedures
[Edu] explain how dual-houses vet proposed legislation by representing most interests

Then leave the writers to write/source citations (good scholarly training btw).
Where are the sins of the world? ? CDT credentials: Confirmed Anglican
Eastern Orthodox almost-Catechumen (OCA) Roman Catholic drop-out (RCIA)
Eight Popes Have Condemned Freemasonry Since 1738Evolution Debunked
L.A.W.S. Of TempledomLatin Vulgate/Douay Rheims/KJVEngland Has Fallen
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 pm

It's not funny if you have to explain the joke.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:It does bug me to no end how satire, when digested by young and malleable minds, can easily transform into a tool for grooming future tyrants.

Can confirm. The satire in this game makes me want to commit genocide.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Everyone in Got Issues needs to change their flags to progressive propaganda
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Let's say we implement your proposal. From which perspective should these educational notes be written? If we are warning someone about communism or facism, for example, why would it stop there? There are certainly people who would want their children to be taught the 'dangers' of libertarism, progressivism, or even democracy. NS is a site with users all over the political spectrum, so taking any one viewpoint would hurt the percieved authenticity of NS as a political simulation. Further divisions are all this would cause. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for. No-one's going to be radicalised by nationstates.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Drayxaso wrote:Let's say we implement your proposal. From which perspective should these educational notes be written? If we are warning someone about communism or facism, for example, why would it stop there? There are certainly people who would want their children to be taught the 'dangers' of libertarism, progressivism, or even democracy. NS is a site with users all over the political spectrum, so taking any one viewpoint would hurt the percieved authenticity of NS as a political simulation. Further divisions are all this would cause. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for. No-one's going to be radicalised by nationstates.

You underestimate the perniciousness of the Freemason agenda.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Altmer Dominion wrote:It's not funny if you have to explain the joke.

Sheriff: 9-year-old boy shoots sister in head over video game controller
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Drayxaso wrote:Let's say we implement your proposal. From which perspective should these educational notes be written? ...

In terms of biases, can't be worse than what we have now. And you abide by decisions coming down from moderation as soon as you log into your account. As long as free speech / dissent is allowed, concerns can be brought up here. This is example.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:24 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:As long as free speech / dissent is allowed, concerns can be brought up here.

I know you think you're being really cool by fighting the system and pointing out what you perceive as flaws in the issues, but your arguments are very weak and that's why no one is taking you seriously. No one is dumb enough to believe that actual governments operate in the same way that governments in the issues do. And seeing these fictitious and humorous depictions of government is not going to lead anyone to shoot people.

"Verily, I say unto thee, none of this would have happened wouldst thou not have stopped the problem before thou didst start it," argues Brother @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ of the @@NAME@@ Amish community from out the window of his horse-drawn carriage. "We must doest as the Lord commandeth and abolishest the evils of computers and the Internet entirely. Only whenst we harken unto the Lord's commandments mayeth we truly be spiritually blessed."
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:

Sheriff: 9-year-old boy shoots sister in head over video game controller

Sure, because kids are totally gonna read the boring parts before going up to the closet and fetching grampa's nuclear football when Brasilistan steals their Halloween candy.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:[... And seeing these fictitious and humorous depictions of government is not going to lead anyone to shoot people.

Shoot one, or neuter a million?

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:00 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:[... And seeing these fictitious and humorous depictions of government is not going to lead anyone to shoot people.

Are you arguing that 'dangerous' viewpoints should not be presented on NationStates without proper explanation because they could implant unhealthy ideas in the people's minds?

NationStates issues do present a variety of different viewpoints. I've written two issues on the topic of transgenderism, and I tried to fairly represent both sides. The editors try not to make the issues one-sided; the issues are not propaganda designed to influence your actual political views.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Be honest, you're just mad that no one else bought into the crusader aesthetic in grammar school after watching The Kingdom of Heaven.

I mean, why else would you be so angry over the impressionable minds of the youth? Surely this is not satire itself? Is it not?
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Drayxaso wrote:Let's say we implement your proposal. From which perspective should these educational notes be written? ...

In terms of biases, can't be worse than what we have now. And you abide by decisions coming down from moderation as soon as you log into your account. As long as free speech / dissent is allowed, concerns can be brought up here. This is example.

In terms of biases, it can be much, much worse than what we have now. Currently, issue authors and editors come from all over the political spectrum, but issues that make one option seem 'correct' or push a specific narrative are simply not published. The inclusion of various real-life movements and idealogies isn't what makes NS biased; it makes it fair.

And I don't think that 'eliminating' the infinitesimal chance that someone will take this seriously is worth taking an authoritarian approach to educating children.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Drayxaso wrote:And I don't think that 'eliminating' the infinitesimal chance that someone will take this seriously is worth taking an authoritarian approach to educating children.

Bingo! This last line is one that actually holds a grain of truth so I will address it, because as things currently are within the Church as well as without, holding to traditional Christian doctrine (Outside of the Church there is no salvation) and fact (there are only two genders and they are based on biology) are branded as "extremism". So what's authoritarian here is the aversion to reality checks.
Last edited by The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Drayxaso wrote:And I don't think that 'eliminating' the infinitesimal chance that someone will take this seriously is worth taking an authoritarian approach to educating children.

Bingo! This last line is one that actually holds a grain of truth so I will address it, because as things currently are within the Church as well as without, holding to traditional Christian doctrine (Outside of the Church there is no salvation) and fact (there are only two genders and they are based on biology) are branded as "extremism". So what's authoritarian here is the aversion to reality checks.

Buddy, if you want a reality check then I have one for you.

You're arguing about conspiracy-theory level garbage on a website where people roleplay as leaders of an actual nation. That anyone would actually devote a modicum of time or effort into utilizing this website as a vehicle of brainwashing the youth is laughable at best.

For God's sake, the Security Council is nothing more than people getting mad at nazis, nazis getting mad for being labled nazis, a bunch of people making fun of themselves, and memes.

Jesus Christ man, my nation is a unified herd of buffalo ruled by Emperor Sheev Palpatine and our national motto is a quote from O Brother, Where Art Thou?. There's nothing serious about this website at all.

Do you honestly think that this website is being used as a vehicle for brainwashing?

Seriously?
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Ah, so we're back to "children should be told to avoid ideologies I disagree with." I see. As a liberal extremist apparently without salvation, I take offense.

An Obvious Drasnian Puppet
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby An Obvious Drasnian Puppet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:29 pm

/thread

Why are we even trying to debate this. If you're unwilling to accept satire, then you should leave the site or at least the issues answering part of the game.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 pm

I am not so easily offended. See, NS has done right to leave out certain unsavory issues from the pool given to school children, however, there are problems even with those approved issues which concern politics and are less sexual in character.

I am not the one 'sexualising' the discussion at every possible turn (mostly by ignoring context).

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:I am not so easily offended. See, NS has done right to leave out certain unsavory issues from the pool given to school children, however, there are problems even with those approved issues which concern politics and are less sexual in character.

I am not the one 'sexualising' the discussion at every possible turn (mostly by ignoring context).
NS doesn’t indoctrinate anyone. It’s pretty obviously not serious, anyway
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:17 pm

We do lock certain issues deemed to have more adult content from school nations. That is already a thing we have and use and frankly in my opinion we tend to err on the side of caution.

As for bias. Firstly, we try to eliminate personal bias. Somehow, in spite of being a communist I have found myself able to edit issues involving capitalists without loading the game with communist propoganda. I save that for the poor sods on my region's message boards. Thinking about it, I don't think I have edited a single overtly communist issue.

Secondly, we have a team with a pretty wide spectrum of beliefs and political/economic viewpoints - which is very useful indeed and there is always plenty of healthy discussìon. We aren't some exclusive club, we want people with a range of perspectives as it makes the game better.

Thirdly, NS options are satire. That is why they are presented by people who range from well meaning but incompetent right the way through to evil and self serving. No one really gets a free pass here.

Lastly we don't have time to run some sort of secret society. I wish we did as I'd love a cool set of robes and a secret handshake but most of our time is spent editing. That's why we have so many issues.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Right.

I see.

Ok.

It's a fine line between satire and fake news.
(Or: is NS better-resourced than FB?)

Caracasus wrote:Lastly we don't have time to run some sort of secret society. I wish we did as I'd love a cool set of robes and a secret handshake but most of our time is spent editing.

That's ***exactly*** what a freemason would say!!!!!!!!!!!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 am

No, a freemason would drop lots of not so subtle hints about being a freemason and tell you that they 'can't possibly tell you what goes on at the meetings'

They are the worst secret society at keeping secrets. They have museums nowdays. It's a drinking club for people who want to feel important and occassionally get off those pesky fraud charges because the superintendant is a lodge member. I'm not really a fan of them as they seem to encourage the sort of low level corruption that allows the rich and influential to get advantages over others but they really don't run the world behind closed doors. They drink and make themselves feel important.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 am

Caracasus wrote:...

As a free netizen of the internet I invoke my natural(?) right of skeptism.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 am

I prefer the explanation that the editors are all Econazi Liberal Progressive Communist Anarchist Feminist Egalitarian Democratic Socialist Freemasons.
Last edited by Fauxia on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?