NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] @@LEADER@@'s Folly?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] @@LEADER@@'s Folly?

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 am

A recently declassified document has gripped the attention of the nation. It is an old plan for a gigantic, building-sized, steam-powered tank... and naturally half the population wants you to build it. You have decided to consult your least interested advisor on the matter.

validity: all

[option] "As far as I can tell..." says @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, as she shrugs with one arm lower than the other. "Some people want you to build this thing because of the sheer history of it. Obviously it's woefully obsolete for the military but- well, the plans apparently do check out. Building this thing would make @@NAME@@ undoubtably have the largest tank ever built. It goes without saying that it would be quite the tourist draw."
[effect] motorways are shut down to allow tourist tank rides

[option] "On the other hand..." she continues, raising the hand that was previously lowered. "There are others who say doing so would be sheer stupidity. It's an ancient design made by desperate madmen decades ago; otherwise that document has almost no value. In fairness, it would clearly cost millions of @@CURRENCY@@ and need a small army just to build it, never mind actually maintain it afterwards. They suggest instead the money could go into funding a tax cut."
[effect] replicas of anything are rare
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 am

I like your experiments with narrative form. I tried something similar on a different topic some time back, with one speaker presenting all the options. People were generally negative at the time, but I'm not averse to facilitating that approach now.

However, I'm not seeing where the story or dilemma is here, and the whole steam tank thing seems to much out of left field.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like your experiments with narrative form. I tried something similar on a different topic some time back, with one speaker presenting all the options. People were generally negative at the time, but I'm not averse to facilitating that approach now.

However, I'm not seeing where the story or dilemma is here, and the whole steam tank thing seems to much out of left field.

It's not my first draft where I've tried the same speaker for every option approach either. :D

As for that second part, I'll have to think about it. It's a bit out of left field, I agree, but not the first time such calls have been made.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Am I imagining that we seem to have a lot of issues about tanks lately?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am

Fauxia wrote:Am I imagining that we seem to have a lot of issues about tanks lately?

Sorry

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Why is it up to @@LEADER@@ to build weapons?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?