NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Balking At Balkanisation

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Balking At Balkanisation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Fun fact: As far as I've found, not a single issue mentions eastern or central @@NAME@@.
This made me, in an ongoing bid to describe the NS issues geography, assume that it must be like Serbia in the Yugoslavia: of course no special issues were going to come about, because these must be where the majority population lives. Then I realised what happened in Yugoslavia in the end so...

Over the years more and more rights have granted to the provinces and to their regional minority groups. These were popular and soon a patchwork of local authorities with varying levels of taxation, initiatives and laws carpeted the nation... and yet to the great concern of the loyalist ethnic @@DENONYM@@s of Central and Eastern @@NAME@@, the feeling of wanting more local autonomy hasn't gone away, with now some prominent councillors pondering the merits of independence!

validity: Separatism must not be a policy

Devolution as a policy

[option] "There's nothing to worry about," declares key ally @@RANDOMNAME@@, while trying to fix @@HIS@@ record player. "If North-West or Southern @@NAME@@ are agitating again, then simply grant them a few more local powers! They have a very different way of life out there after all. I'm not sure what extra powers we could give them, but perhaps we could allow them to have their own police force or army to enforce those new laws? And if it's the cantons, give them their own! If it's the provinces again, then have their own too! Nothing can go wrong."
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ who litter are arrested by officers from 5 different levels

[option] "No, there is something deeply wrong with @@NAME@@, "announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has a strong Eastern @@NAME@@ accent. "Those uppity groups are biding their time before they declare independence, I can feel it in my bones, and we should have never entertained them like we have been. I say we drastically consolidate more power into @@CAPITAL@@ and encourage the proper @@DENONYM@@ lifestyle out there. By force if necessary. Homogeneity is strength. Nothing can go wrong."
[effect] minor skirmishes with formerly autonomous hill tribes in the North-West have been reported

[option] "I think the issue is really the patchwork," observes @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's holding a map of @@NAME@@ with so many colours it's inviting a seizure. "Just look at this map of all the different language and religious groups in the nation. Each of those has a different set of rules based on how much they agitated for them. If we just put our foot in the ground, declared that every province will have a clearly defined, exact set of powers, equally, then our federation might well be saved."
[effect] some councillors are upset that they can no longer declare breathing illegal

[option] "No, patch work is exactly the answer!" says historian @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's holding an even more seizure-inducing map of @@REGION@@. "This is the complete map of the Divine Mammon Imperium, a country that used to rule over much of what's now Maxtopia and Lilliputia. Basically, the Imperator was more an overseer of the many small princedoms, republics and tyrannical dictatorships than an actual ruler. There we go, maximum autonomy for the culturally different peoples of @@NAME@@ while sticking together. Might I suggest the @@DENONYM@@ Union as a name?"
[effect] "@@NAME@@" is more a geographical term than a political one

[option] "I agree, but let's take it a step further," nods along mayor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who runs the Southern city of Raguzig."@@NAME@@ is an artificial creation united solely by brute horror and weapons in my opinion. If we decide we want to leave this monstrosity once and for all, then we should be allowed to!"
[effect] the WA is busy inducting dozens of new members into it's halls
Last edited by Chan Island on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 am

Bump
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 am

Maybe the issue would require that you have Devolution as a policy? And that you didn't get that one issue about the secessionist guy and chose to bring him back by force?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Maybe the issue would require that you have Devolution as a policy? And that you didn't get that one issue about the secessionist guy and chose to bring him back by force?

The devolution policy is a great way to consolidate it. Implemented. As for the second part, the validity explicitly states that separatism must be illegal so is anything the nations that chose to bring him back by force would be more eligible to get it!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Geographically speaking, as the east coast of continents get more rainfall then the west, the east would be forests whilst the west would be deserts. As a nation where a massive % of the population lives near the east coast, I'm not too comfortable with them "thinking they're culturally different", and we have tons of issues about successionism
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 pm

You might round this out with a Wacky Option™ wherein some nutcase (who nevertheless has managed to wangle his way into a central government office) is talking about events of decades or centuries before as valid reason to split the whole country up - the assassination of the Lilliputian Grand Wizard, the occupation by the Divan Imperium, the Anavioletist Resistance versus the Lemurian collaborators - the wildly varying reactions to all of which, on the part of different geographical sections and religious sects of the nation all clearly meaning that this kludged-together mishmash of religions and ethnicities is inherently unable to get along with each other, and YOU, @@LEADER@@, can save millions of lives of registered voters (© 1984 Bill Murray) by letting all these "domestic foreigners" go in peace before the whole country is embroiled in the most vicious multi-lateral civil war imaginable.

Sort of the exact opposite of whatever Milosevic thought he was accomplishing, I guess.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:You might round this out with a Wacky Option™ wherein some nutcase (who nevertheless has managed to wangle his way into a central government office) is talking about events of decades or centuries before as valid reason to split the whole country up - the assassination of the Lilliputian Grand Wizard, the occupation by the Divan Imperium, the Anavioletist Resistance versus the Lemurian collaborators - the wildly varying reactions to all of which, on the part of different geographical sections and religious sects of the nation all clearly meaning that this kludged-together mishmash of religions and ethnicities is inherently unable to get along with each other, and YOU, @@LEADER@@, can save millions of lives of registered voters (© 1984 Bill Murray) by letting all these "domestic foreigners" go in peace before the whole country is embroiled in the most vicious multi-lateral civil war imaginable.

Sort of the exact opposite of whatever Milosevic thought he was accomplishing, I guess.

Or how about just the opposition of federation claiming it should never have been a thing in the first place?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:28 pm

No review, just a quick note:

As far as I've found, not a single issue mentions eastern or central @@NAME@@.
I actually thought of putting central @@NAME@@ in one of my drafts. :lol:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:29 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Geographically speaking, as the east coast of continents get more rainfall then the west, the east would be forests whilst the west would be deserts. As a nation where a massive % of the population lives near the east coast, I'm not too comfortable with them "thinking they're culturally different", and we have tons of issues about successionism

Forests are the dominant feature of North-Western @@NAME@@... which is alright because @@NAME@@ doesn't have a coast there. We also already know Western @@NAME@@ is deserts.

But to the draft itself, you seem to have misunderstood. The issue is the population of the East Coast getting annoyed at all of those uppity people in the North-West, West and South @@NAME@@, who keep agitating again and again about wanting autonomy.

Jutsa wrote:No review, just a quick note:

As far as I've found, not a single issue mentions eastern or central @@NAME@@.
I actually thought of putting central @@NAME@@ in one of my drafts. :lol:

I've been making a point of putting it in when reasonable whenever I can now! :D

Australian rePublic wrote:Or how about just the opposition of federation claiming it should never have been a thing in the first place?

Sounds like option 2. Should trim that option to make it clearer.

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:You might round this out with a Wacky Option™ wherein some nutcase (who nevertheless has managed to wangle his way into a central government office) is talking about events of decades or centuries before as valid reason to split the whole country up - the assassination of the Lilliputian Grand Wizard, the occupation by the Divan Imperium, the Anavioletist Resistance versus the Lemurian collaborators - the wildly varying reactions to all of which, on the part of different geographical sections and religious sects of the nation all clearly meaning that this kludged-together mishmash of religions and ethnicities is inherently unable to get along with each other, and YOU, @@LEADER@@, can save millions of lives of registered voters (© 1984 Bill Murray) by letting all these "domestic foreigners" go in peace before the whole country is embroiled in the most vicious multi-lateral civil war imaginable.

You make a very good point.... and it opens up 2 potential options actually. Implementing some ideas here.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Geographically speaking, as the east coast of continents get more rainfall then the west, the east would be forests whilst the west would be deserts.

Not always: For example, compare the southern parts of Chile and Argentina...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Actually, prevailing winds mean that it's usually the west coast that's drier in tropical and subtropical latitudes (0°-30°), the east coast in temperate latitudes (30°-60°), and the west coast again on polar latitudes (60°-90°).

However, there are other prevailing-wind-related reasons why deserts usually appear near 30°, and more specifically tend to extend around 20°-30°, so the subtropical rule is applicable. Deserts usually only appear far from that latitude when there's some serious mountain ranges in the upwind direction casting a rainshadow.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Actually, prevailing winds mean that it's usually the west coast that's drier in tropical and subtropical latitudes (0°-30°), the east coast in temperate latitudes (30°-60°), and the west coast again on polar latitudes (60°-90°).

However, there are other prevailing-wind-related reasons why deserts usually appear near 30°, and more specifically tend to extend around 20°-30°, so the subtropical rule is applicable. Deserts usually only appear far from that latitude when there's some serious mountain ranges in the upwind direction casting a rainshadow.

Interesting. However, if you look at any map of any significant land mass, the deserts will usually be on the western side. Take Australia, for example the eastern side is mountainous desert, the western side is desert. North America, the desert is in the south-western USA and North-western Mexico. Afro-Eurasia- the desert starts from the Gobi desert in the west of China- all the way through to the Middle East. South America- the Atacama is west. In the meanwhile, the Australian rain forests, Chinese forests, etc. Are on the eastern side of their land masses. This is obviously a general rule of thumb, and there are exceptions, e.g. Palm Springs and Los Angeles are at similar lattitudes, and Palm Springs is further east, even though Palm Springs better qualifies as desert, but it's easier to play by general rules-of-thumb than to get it into specific examples. I didn't know that by certain lattitudes, the opposite is true where more rain falls on the west, but, that explains a lot. And I'm not even gonna get into tge Sahara's rain forest-desert cycles

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?