NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Graduated Without Honours

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] Graduated Without Honours

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 am

Title: Graduated Without Honours

Validity: Top 25% for education,

Description: Recently, an advert for McRonalds has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications to get a job. After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard bachelor university degree, with master's degrees being the new normal, you have decided to hold a meeting to address the problem.

Option 1: "This is becoming ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was one of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect. My curriculum vitae was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in one discipline or another. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree annually across @@NAME@@, and, if the quota is surpassed, then we simply eliminate those who achieved the fewest accolades."

Effect: universities find tumbleweeds to be the only thing in their lecture theatres

Option 2: "I have another solution," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of Solutions in @@NAME@@, "If master's degrees are becoming like baccalaureate ones, then surely PhDs are roughly the same as master's degrees? All we need to do is re-name master's to baccalaureates, PhDs to master's, invent a new degree ranking, retroactively change all the CVs down a level, and all will be well. See, it's a simple solution. And if it happens again, we just repeat the process."

Effect: literature PhDs are shocked to discovee their degree now has the credit of a primary school spelling award

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in Blackacren Minority History in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% richest people, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of privileged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

Effect: being able to afford cereal makes it far harder for one to attend university

Option 4: "Has no one acknowledged the elitism of the system in the first place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is merely a symptom of a greater fault in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, independent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the predicament we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Effect: people saying "I'm quite good at adding up" in their CV are ranked the same as PhDs in applied mathematics

[spoiled=Sixth Draft]Title: Graduated Without Honours

Description: Recently, an advert for McRonalds has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications to get a job. After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard baccalaureate university degree, with master's degrees being the new normal, you have decided to hold a meeting to address the problem.

Option 1: "This is becoming ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was one of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect. My curriculum vitae was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in one discipline or another. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree annually across @@NAME@@, and, if the quota is surpassed, then we simply eliminate those who achieved the fewest accolades."

Effect: universities find tumbleweeds to be the only thing in their lecture theatres

Option 2: "I have another solution," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of Solutions in @@NAME@@, "If master's degrees are becoming like baccalaureate ones, then surely PhDs are roughly the same as master's degrees? All we need to do is re-name master's to baccalaureates, PhDs to master's, invent a new degree ranking, retroactively change all the CVs down a level, and all will be well. See, it's a simple solution. And if it happens again, we just repeat the process."

Effect: literature PhDs are shocked to discovee their degree now has the credit of a primary school spelling award

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in Blackacren Minority History in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of privileged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

Effect: being able to afford cereal makes it far harder for one to attend university

Option 4: "Has no one acknowledged the elitism of the system in the first place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is merely a symptom of a greater fault in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, independent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the predicament we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Effect: people saying "I'm quite good at adding up" in their CV are ranked the same as PhDs in applied mathematics[/spoiler]

Description: Recently, an advert for McRonalds has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications to get a job. After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard university degree, with master's degrees being the new normal, you have decided to hold a meeting to address the problem.

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in Blackacren Minority History in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of privileged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

Option 4: "Has no one considered the elitism of the system in the first place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is just a symptom of a greater problem in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, independent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the problem we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Effect: people saying "I'm quite good at adding up" in their CV are ranked the same as PhDs in applied mathematics

Description: Recently, an advert for McRonalds has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications could get a job. After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard university degree, with master's degrees being the new normal, you have decided to hold a meeting to address the problem.

Option 1: "This is becoming ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect. My curriculum vitae was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in one discipline or another. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree annually across @@NAME@@, and, if the quota is surpassed, then we simply eliminate those who achieved the fewest accolades."

Option 2: "I have another solution," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of Solutions in @@NAME@@, "If master's degrees are becoming like baccalaureate ones, then surely master's degrees are like PhDs? All we need to do is re-name master's to baccalaureates, PhDs to master's, invent a new degree ranking, retroactively change all the CVs down a level, and all will be well. See, it's a simple solution. And if it happens again, we just repress the process.

Effect: English PhDs are shocked to discovee their degree now has the credit of a primary school spelling award

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in Blackacren Minority History in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of priveliged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

Effect: in the name of equality, all whose parents can afford cereal are barred from university

Option 4: "Has no one considered the elitism of the system in the first time place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is just a symptom of a greater problem in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, inpdendent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the problem we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Description: Recently, an advert for McRonalds has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications could get a job. After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard university degree, with master's degrees being the new normal, you have decided to hold a meeting to address the problem.

Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degre each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who got the least marks."

Option 2: "I have another solution," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of Solutions in @@NAME@@, "If master's degrees are becoming like baccalaureate ones, then surely master's degrees are like PhDs? All we need to do is re-name master's to baccalaureates, PhDs to master's, invent a new degree ranking, retroactively change all the CVs down a level, and all will be well. See, it's a simple solution. And if it happens again, we just repress the process.

Effect: English PhDs are shocked to discovee their degree now has the credit of a primary school spelling award

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in Blackacren Minority History in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of priveliged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

Effect: in the name of equality, all whose parents can afford cereal are barred from university

Option 4: "Has no one considered the elitism of the system in the first time place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is just a symptom of a greater problem in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, inpdendent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the problem we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Description: The current university system is doing an admirable job in giving all sudents a chance at a university degree. However, there have been some unexpected pitfalls with the new system, such as the average McRonalds worker requiring at least a Masters to be considered for the role.

Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degre each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who got the least marks."

Option 2: "I can't believe what I am hearing." Exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of Equality in @@NAME@@, "This is a landmark moment in our education system. Everyone, be they rich or poor, clever or stupid, can be recognised for their genius. In fact, we should be doing even more to help everyone in the @@PRETITLE@@ to unlock their full potential. Why don't we just make it a policy that everyone in @@NAME@@ has to go to university, and re-take their exams if they don't pass the first time. Wouldn't that be great?"

Effect: an English Literature degree is worth about as much as a primary school spelling award on a CV

Option 4: "Has no one considered the elitism of the system in the firs time place? Asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the very few people to not gain a university degree, "Perhaps this is just a symptom of a greater problem in our system. We should all be recognised for our talents, inpdendent of whether we actually have any qualifications in them. Then, as soon as potential degree holders realise how useless these things really are, we might solve the problem we have now. Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."

Title: TBD

Description: The current university system is doing an admirable job in giving all sudents a chance at a university degree. It's doing so well, in fact, that people have begun to question whether there is any worth in having a degree at all.

Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of science in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degre each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who came the lowest.

Option 2: "I can't believe what I am hearing." Exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of education in @@NAME@@, "This is a landmark moment in our education system. Everyone, be they rich or poor, clever or stupid, can be recognised for their genius. In fact, we should be doing even more to help everyone in the @@PRETITLE@@ to unlock their full potential. Why don't we just make it a policy that everyone in @@NAME@@ has to go to university, and re-take their exams if they don't pass the first time. Wouldn't that be great?"

Effect: a degree is worth about as much as a primary school spelling award on a CV

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in social studies in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of priveliged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

This is an issue about universities giving too many degrees to students. The reason all the people start with a very similar introduction line is to highlight the severity of the problem, but tell me if it comes off a bit boring. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 am, edited 14 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm

It seems a bit boring, but the writing is fairly good
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am

Bump
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 pm

What do you have against masters of education anyway? Which brings me to my next point. The conext seems to suggest everyone's getting bachelors degrees, not masters. Also option 2's effect should mention illiteracy
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Australian rePublic wrote: The conext seems to suggest everyone's getting bachelors degrees, not masters.

I agree with Aussie. You need to be clear: is everyone getting an undergrad, or a postgrad (excess people with undergrads seems to be more common; Masters' degrees are expensive)?

As it stands:

The concept is interesting (is a degree worth the same if everyone has one - good jumping-off point). The grammar and spelling are (generally) okay. The actual execution, though, is a little dull.

The description could use work to explain why it's a problem. A lot of people having a degree is not a problem unless, for example, employers are finding it hard to find the most qualified candidate.

You also really need to work on adding humour.

For example, the degrees: "science degree", "education", "social sciences", they're all very functional. But you could do so much more here. How about some funny NS-ified degree names?

For the title, how about: "Graduated Without Honours" (whichever spelling you'd choose).

There's also room, I think, for a fourth option that says businesses should recognise that individual talents count (rather than a degree), and that the government should stop encouraging degrees for everyone, preferring to fund internships and apprenticeships for capable young people instead (I've heard people express those views when the value of degrees come up in debate, so it wouldn't be out of place). This would be a non-elitist alternate to option one, different in its reasoning, but allowing people to not provide more university places.

This premise does have great promise, if you add some humour.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Title: TBD

Description: The current university system is doing an admirable job in giving all sudents a chance at a university degree. It's doing so well, in fact, that people have begun to question whether there is any worth in having a degree at all.

Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of science in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degre each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who came the lowest.

Option 2: "I can't believe what I am hearing." Exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few thousand masters of education in @@NAME@@, "This is a landmark moment in our education system. Everyone, be they rich or poor, clever or stupid, can be recognised for their genius. In fact, we should be doing even more to help everyone in the @@PRETITLE@@ to unlock their full potential. Why don't we just make it a policy that everyone in @@NAME@@ has to go to university, and re-take their exams if they don't pass the first time. Wouldn't that be great?"

Effect: a degree is worth about as much as a primary school spelling award on a CV

Option 3: "This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few million masters in social studies in @@NAME@@," So what if a few million people are getting degrees every month? That's not important, what is important is who's getting them. 90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression. Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of priveliged students they give degrees to? We can kill two birds with one well-educated stone."

This is an issue about universities giving too many degrees to student. The reason all the people start with a very similar introduction line is to highlight the severity of the problem, but tell me if it comes off a bit boring. Any help, especially on the title, would be very much appreciated.

I find it interesting that option 1's speaker tries to make a big deal about their intellect but then uses the short hand version of curriculum vitae. Part of me thinks that it might be more in character (and more appropriate for those unaware of what a CV is) for the speaker to say curriculum vitae instead of CV, but the irony of the speaker NOT saying curriculum vitae as a way of showing how full of themself they are works too from a humor standpoint.

I second Joy's notion that you need more humor. The initial premise is fantastic, but you kind of flounder when showing it off. Marvel's Ant-Man had a great joke about this sort of thing where Scott Lang brags about having a Masters in Electrical Engineering and how hard could it be to get a job. Next scene is him working at an chain ice cream shop. You should have something like that where you juxtapose the educational grandeur of your populace with the lack of value in the degrees in a humorous manner.

You could also have someone pointing out how people are not getting workable degrees and that they're tired of their tax money going towards people getting "useless" degrees. "Maybe if more people joined the trades instead of getting degrees in hand-holding they wouldn't be out on the street asking for hand-outs!"
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:57 am

I've tried to add some humour via the first speaker confusing “fewest” and “least” despite being a master of lexicography, and added some sort-of funny degree titles. I've also clarified the problem to be master's degrees in the description and added a fourth option based on just scrapping the system altogether.
My pronouns are he/him.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:18 am

It's always an idea to create something of a narrative with these issues. With the opening statement, is there any way we could show and not tell here? Perhaps mention a single job advert for a fry cook that asked for a Masters degree or something and use that as a springboard for the issue. Perhaps your long suffering niece wants a summer job or something.

Option 2 seems a little like it's not really addressing the point of the issue here. The issue is that it appears everyone and their pet cat has a degree - leading to unreasonable demands by employers for qualifications. Surely the counterweight to option 1 should reflect that somewhat? Perhaps in dealing with the employers themselves?

Option 3 looks good so far.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 am

Caracasus wrote:It's always an idea to create something of a narrative with these issues. With the opening statement, is there any way we could show and not tell here? Perhaps mention a single job advert for a fry cook that asked for a Masters degree or something and use that as a springboard for the issue. Perhaps your long suffering niece wants a summer job or something.

Option 2 seems a little like it's not really addressing the point of the issue here. The issue is that it appears everyone and their pet cat has a degree - leading to unreasonable demands by employers for qualifications. Surely the counterweight to option 1 should reflect that somewhat? Perhaps in dealing with the employers themselves?

Option 3 looks good so far.

I've changed around option 2 and added a narrative to the issue description.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 am

/bump
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am

/bump
My pronouns are he/him.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who got the least marks."

I would break up/edit the first sentence to be:
"This is getting preposterous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of lexicography in @@NAME@@. "When I acquired my certification, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect. My cirriculum vitae was the envy of the town!

and also alter the second and third sentences to be:
Now, every @@DEMONYM@@ and their uncle has a degree in one discipline or another.

and
Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree annually across @@NAME@@, and if the quota is surpassed, then simply eliminate the ones who achieved the fewest accolades.

They are a master lexicographer ("good at making dictionaries") who is obviously very proud of their craft, which means that they should probably be using longer words.

Also, I'm torn between wanting to point out that people don't offer college courses in lexicography and being happy with the Lexicon reference.
Last edited by Evil Dictators Happyland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:05 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Option 1: "This is getting ridiculous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of Lexicography in @@NAME@@, "When I got my degree, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect, my CV was the envy of the town! Now, every person in @@NAME@@ and their uncle has a degree in something. Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree each year across @@NAME@@, and if more than the allotted number pass the test, then just get rid of the one's who got the least marks."

I would break up/edit the first sentence to be:
"This is getting preposterous," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the few hundred masters of lexicography in @@NAME@@. "When I acquired my certification, I was in of the few people to be commended for my superior intellect. My cirriculum vitae was the envy of the town!

and also alter the second and third sentences to be:
Now, every @@DEMONYM@@ and their uncle has a degree in one discipline or another.

and
Clearly, we need to impose hard limits on how many people can get a degree annually across @@NAME@@, and if the quota is surpassed, then simply eliminate the ones who achieved the fewest accolades.

They are a master lexicographer ("good at making dictionaries") who is obviously very proud of their craft, which means that they should probably be using longer words.

Also, I'm torn between wanting to point out that people don't offer college courses in lexicography and being happy with the Lexicon reference.

Thanks, I will edit this soon.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 am

/bump
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:29 am

/bump
My pronouns are he/him.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 am

Alright, Kenmoria, you've had this up for almost a month, so lets take a look at it. :)

I've gotta say that I don't really quite see how this is a problem, to be honest.
What is wrong with everyone becoming smarter? Isn't that generally a good thing?

I'll go ahead with a quick grammar review, and it seems a lot of people here like the premise,
but I can't say I quite get it, myself. Sorry. :(

FIRST NOTE: You have a comma after every option's non-dialogue section. Those should, indeed, be periods. :)

The Issue:
has been put up to allow for those with lower qualifications could get a job.
to get a job*

Option 1:
I was in of the few people
one of* unless in of is actually a phrase I'm unfamiliar with.

Option 2:
masters of Solutions in @@NAME@@,
"If master's degrees are becoming like baccalaureate ones, then surely master's degrees are like PhDs?[/quote] I think you mean "then surely PHD's are like master's degrees?" :lol:
And if it happens again, we just repress the process.
a) Missing quotation mark at the end
b) repress? Do you mean repeat? :P
English PhDs are shocked to discovee their degree now has the credit of a primary school spelling award
:rofl: Omg
Two notes, however:
1) English is not necessarily your nation's primary language;
2) discover*

Option 3:
"This is clearly a matter of equality." Explains
equality," explains*
That's not important, what is important is who's getting them.
I'd put a semicolon after "important", personally.
90% of university graduates come from the top 80% of wealth, and this is clearly a terrible oppression.
:rofl:
Why don't we just make universities put a cap on the number of priveliged students they give degrees to?
privileged* (had to google it, myself)
in the name of equality, all whose parents can afford cereal are barred from university
Commas don't work in effect lines except for the comma issue. Plus, idk if "all" is appropriate. Perhaps "students whose parents can afford cereal may be barred from university in the name of equality" will work? :P

Option 4:
in the first time place? Asks
in the first place?" asks
unless it's supposed to be time place; then in the first time place?" asks
inpdendent
Is this also a typo? independent*
Again, keep it if it's intentional. :P
Everyone's happy, well, apart from the universities."
I'd put — or ... after "happy", personally. :3

Tbh I have no idea what a CV is but I'll take it it's a common phrase normal people know.

OK, so to summarize:
1) a bunch of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.

That's it. The rest of this looks okeedokee to me, and I don't believe you'll have to wait too long to submit this.
(I'd still wait a bit just to be safe, though)

Good luck, Kenmoria. :)

Edit 4 or something: Fixed formatting. Gosh I keep forgetting to click preview, argh.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the changes, Jutsa, I have edited accordingly. By the way, a CV is a document submitted to potential employers outlining your strengths, I don't know if it's a common thing outside the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Some quibbles of mine:

After it was found the lower qualification they were referring to was a standard university degree
I'm assuming you mean a bachelor's/baccalaureate here, but it's ambiguous. It could mean an associate's or a master's, instead. I'd prefer if that ambiguity were cleared up.

The continuing joke of "few hundred masters", "few thousand masters", and "few million masters" are kind of hard to believe all in one nation. Speaker 1 sounds like there are way too many Lexicographers in @@NAME@@, but that only makes sense in young nations with only a few million citizens. Otherwise, a few hundred Lexicographers in a nation of billions of people makes a lot of sense which invalidates a lot of what he's saying. Meanwhile, millions of people with masters in Blackacrean Minority History in @@NAME@@ only makes sense in larger nations. In smaller nations, practically the entire population would have that degree. In short, option 1 doesn't make sense if you're a large nation and option 3 doesn't make sense if you're a small nation.

Finally, while this issue has a solid foundation - both the description and the options make sense and seem fairly well balanced - the draft as it stands now lacks energy. And I really don't want you to feel discouraged. This is the hardest part for pretty much every author, including myself. It's difficult giving your issue voice while making sure all necessary information is given to the reader in a succinct manner. Option two is a great idea. I love how it would end up becoming turtles all the way down. But every speaker sounds very similar to each other, even the one who hasn't got a degree. Arguably, he's the most well-spoken of the lot, which might be what you're trying to get at with how he's saying basically degrees don't give any indication over a person's actual ability or intelligence. But if that's the case, it isn't really communicated all that well.

I like what you've got and I hope you can improve it even further before submitting. It probably would be accepted now as is, but giving it more humor and energy will make the process go much, much faster. Good luck :)
See You Space Cowboy...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 am

Drasnia, I have addressed the first problem you found, and it was my intention to have the last speaker be the most well-spoken of them all, which I have clarified somewhat in the draft. As for the “hundred, thousand, million” joke, I'm unsure of how to fix this because of the vast range in populations.
My pronouns are he/him.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 am

Description- yea, just call the bachelor degrees
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 am

Also, option 30, if the 80% stat was true, there wouldn't be such an influx of uni graduates. There aren't that many rich people

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, option 30, if the 80% stat was true, there wouldn't be such an influx of uni graduates. There aren't that many rich people

I meant the top 80% richest people, or the four fifths of the populace. I will clarify in the next draft.
My pronouns are he/him.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

An excess of degree qualifications not meeting the economy's needs is more or less the topic of #621 Blue Collar Blues, which I feel is an issue with more nuance to it than this one.

As it stands, I can't see a great deal of place for this issue.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:An excess of degree qualifications not meeting the economy's needs is more or less the topic of #621 Blue Collar Blues, which I feel is an issue with more nuance to it than this one.

As it stands, I can't see a great deal of place for this issue.

That is... disappointing. I guess it's back to the drawing board then.
My pronouns are he/him.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?