NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Like A Good Neighbor

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[Submitted] Like A Good Neighbor

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 am

Like A Good Neighbor

The Debate:
HOAs, or Home Owners Associations, organizations that are charged with protecting home values, have recently come under fire for being too restrictive about what their residents can do. It's all come to a head after a man was fined 10000 @@currency@@ for painting his trash can neon green.

The homeowner in question marches in through your office door, carrying a can of spray paint, and says,"They fined me 10000 @@currency@@ for me taking a little artistic license, and painting my trash can neon green. You must dissolve all HOAs, and allow us homeowners to do whatever we like to our houses."

Fallout: Neighborhoods are now filled with artistic, multicolored trash cans and lawn decorations after all HOAs were dissolved.

@@femalename@@, an HOA board chair, stomps in wielding a ruler, and says,"The grass in your front lawn is approximately .2334664 inches too long. I'm going to have to charge you 12000 @@currency@@. The guy who painted his trash can was detracting value from the whole neighborhood. I demand that the government steps in to rule neighborhoods with an iron fist and arrest these savages."

Fallout: Citizens who have lawns that are slightly too high, tend to face life in prison for their crimes against home values.

Does this draft look better?

Validity:

Like A Good Neighbor

The Debate:
Home Owners Associations, or HOAs as they are known, have recently come under fire for being too restrictive and obsessive about home values.

An angry homeowner marches in through your office door, and says,"They fined me 800 @@currency@@ for me taking a little artistic license, and painting my trash can neon green. I demand that you dissolve all HOAs."

Fallout: Neighborhoods are now filled with artistic, multicolored trash cans and lawn decorations after all HOAs were dissolved.

@@femalename@@, an HOA board chair, marches in and says,"The grass in your front lawn is approximately .2334664 inches too long. I'm going to have to charge you 900 @@currency@@. The guy who painted his trash can was detracting value from the whole neighborhood. I demand that the government steps in to rule neighborhoods with an iron fist."

Fallout: Citizens who have lawns that are slightly too high, tend to face life in prison for their crimes against home values.

An old veteran walks into the office and says,"They made me take down my sign that was in support of our troops. My son is over there fighting for our freedoms, and they made me take down my patriotic sign. My son, and me before him, have fought for freedom, and she wants us to be unpatriotic. Us vets should be allowed to do what we want to our houses."

Fallout: Military veterans are allowed to paint their houses however they want.

How does this look? I know it could do with some edits, but I'm in need of suggestions.
Last edited by Pax Nerdvana on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 am

HOAs only exist in the USA, as far as I am aware. And there, they're private associations which you're only subject to if you purchase a property under their aegis and sign up to the terms and conditions at the time. That means your issue basically comes down to "should legal contracts be enforced?"
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:HOAs only exist in the USA, as far as I am aware. And there, they're private associations which you're only subject to if you purchase a property under their aegis and sign up to the terms and conditions at the time. That means your issue basically comes down to "should legal contracts be enforced?"

I thought HOAs were worldwide. It does come down to that though. Any suggestions? And. Thanks for your time.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

Not sure, to be honest. The closest issue we have at present to asking whether contract law should always be enforced is #514 Contract Killer, though the situation it deals with is so different that there's no overlap here.

I guess there's nothing wrong with it being based purely on a US siutation, but it will feel a bit alien to any non-Americans who don't routinely follow these things.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Not sure, to be honest. The closest issue we have at present to asking whether contract law should always be enforced is #514 Contract Killer, though the situation it deals with is so different that there's no overlap here.

I guess there's nothing wrong with it being based purely on a US siutation, but it will feel a bit alien to any non-Americans who don't routinely follow these things.

It probably will, but it should be ok, I guess. Do you think it looks good enough to submit?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Noo, I wouldn't say that, myself. I'd take a closer look but I've already got a bit of a backlog of drafts I wish to help with. :ugeek:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Home Owners Associations, or HOAs as they are known, have recently come under fire for being too restrictive and obsessive about home values.
Maybe define what an HOA is to non-American users? I think you should actually note which situation triggers the issue in the first place (what you said in option one)

Pax Nerdvana wrote:1.
An angry homeowner marches in through your office door, and says,"They fined me 800 @@currency@@ for me taking a little artistic license, and painting my trash can neon green. I demand that you dissolve all HOAs."
I'd consider adding more substance. Take out the first part and make it more extreme. NS loves over-the-top and irrational decisions.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Fallout: Neighborhoods are now filled with artistic, multicolored trash cans and lawn decorations after all HOAs were dissolved.
You don't need the red part.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:2.
@@femalename@@, an HOA board chair, marches in and says,"The grass in your front lawn is approximately .2334664 inches too long. I'm going to have to charge you 900 @@currency@@. The guy who painted his trash can was detracting value from the whole neighborhood. I demand that the government steps in to rule neighborhoods with an iron fist."
You used "marches in" in the previous issue as all. Maybe change the wording? I don't quite get the point of this one: why would an HOA board chair try to get the Government to basically replace them? I believe this is what is what she's asking for. Maybe make another option to have someone else suggest that?

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Fallout: Citizens who have lawns that are slightly too high, tend to face life in prison for their crimes against home values.
Uncessessary comma.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:3.
An old veteran walks into the office and says,"They made me take down my sign that was in support of our troops. My son is over there fighting for our freedoms, and they made me take down my patriotic sign. My son, and me before him, have fought for freedom, and she wants us to be unpatriotic. Us vets should be allowed to do what we want to our houses."
Honestly, I don't really get the whole option here. I don't think it's relevant enough to be its own option. If you decide to keep it, make sure you add a validity to ensure the nation has gone to war before.

Just some brief suggestions here; it's entirely up to you whether you accept them or not. :p
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Homeowners associations are, as far as I know, a US only thing. But one thing that much more of the world does have, which as far as I remember is not at all addressed by the issues in much depth is the phenomenon of neighbourhood watches and the restrictions they might put on people.

On the other hand, one way you could turn this around is to make this an issue asking if Homeowners Associations should be introduced or not. That way those who see the value in having these bodies can then put them in, and the rest of us in blissful ignorance as to what they are can safely choose the don't put them in option.

EDIT: perhaps the inciting incident could be the neon rubbish bin guy actually. We have an issue about a person wanting to make an unusual home, but something like that, while technically not illegal and a bit ridiculous to legislate against (though this is NS, so who knows) is something that would fall under the purview of an HOA or Neighbourhood Watch.
Last edited by Chan Island on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 am

Agree with Chan Island. Non-USA folk could understand an issue about Neighborhood Watches without turning to google.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Agree with Chan Island. Non-USA folk could understand an issue about Neighborhood Watches without turning to google.

I'll edit it today, if I remember. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 am

Just curious, how do trash cans work in America? Seriously, how? Here in Australia, (this will very by council, but generally) you get three bins with three different coloured lids. One bin is for general garbage. This is generally red. One bin is for recycling (or two if your council makes you separate paper and bottles) this yellow, or yellow and blue if there are two, and the third one is for garden waste, which either has a green or light blue lid. If you paint your garbage bin a different colour, I doubt that the garbageman would collect it, probably because he wouldn't know which one it's supposed to be. I would assume that the garbage man wouldn't take it, I doubt anyone's ever tried it...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Just curious, how do trash cans work in America? Seriously, how? Here in Australia, (this will very by council, but generally) you get three bins with three different coloured lids. One bin is for general garbage. This is generally red. One bin is for recycling (or two if your council makes you separate paper and bottles) this yellow, or yellow and blue if there are two, and the third one is for garden waste, which either has a green or light blue lid. If you paint your garbage bin a different colour, I doubt that the garbageman would collect it, probably because he wouldn't know which one it's supposed to be. I would assume that the garbage man wouldn't take it, I doubt anyone's ever tried it...

Where I live, we have two bins. The slightly shorter one is recycling; it's green with a blue lid. The big one is trash. It's all green. The green is a very dark green.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Just curious, how do trash cans work in America? Seriously, how? Here in Australia, (this will very by council, but generally) you get three bins with three different coloured lids. One bin is for general garbage. This is generally red. One bin is for recycling (or two if your council makes you separate paper and bottles) this yellow, or yellow and blue if there are two, and the third one is for garden waste, which either has a green or light blue lid. If you paint your garbage bin a different colour, I doubt that the garbageman would collect it, probably because he wouldn't know which one it's supposed to be. I would assume that the garbage man wouldn't take it, I doubt anyone's ever tried it...

Where I live, we have two bins. The slightly shorter one is recycling; it's green with a blue lid. The big one is trash. It's all green. The green is a very dark green.

Here the recycling bins are taller than the normal bins (although the green bins and yellow bins are collected on alternating weeks). Don't you guys have green bins? In either case, if this guy paints his bin, how will the garbage man know if the bin should be collected?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:10 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:

Here the recycling bins are taller than the normal bins (although the green bins and yellow bins are collected on alternating weeks). Don't you guys have green bins? In either case, if this guy paints his bin, how will the garbage man know if the bin should be collected?

Evryone sets their bins out on the curb, and the sanitation people drive by and pick it up, regardless of color, I think.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Issue submitted.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Good luck, then
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 am

Fauxia wrote:Good luck, then

Thank you. It probably won't get too far, tbh.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Good luck

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:09 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Good luck

Thank you.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?