NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Quia Scriptum Est

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] Quia Scriptum Est

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:48 am

SUBMITTED 21/3/18

TITLE:

Quia Scriptum Est

VALIDITY:

Must have courts, internet and capitalism. Also cars, unless I can change the first effect line.

DESCRIPTION:

Prominent lawyer @@randomname@@ recently quit his prestigious criminal defence job, citing that @@HE@@ can make more money by concentrating on @@HIS@@ other job: writing essays and dissertations for law students. The senior partner at @@HIS@@ firm - who happens to be your cousin - is making a fuss over this.

OPTION ONE

"Now see here, dearest cuz, this is entirely intolerable, insupportable and insufferable," mutters cousin @@randomfirstname@@, exercising @@HIS@@ penchant for using long words when short ones would do. "Essay writing services are manifestly unethical, facilitating contra bonos mores educational fraud in a multitude of professions and academic fields, thus allowing de facto untested individuals to carry out actions ex cathedra. Clearly, by principle of animus nocendi, anyone offering services and products that would clearly lead to criminality should be prosecuted as responsible for these outcomes. That's clear, isn't it?"

Outcome: selling a car makes the seller culpable for the new owner's speeding fines

OPTION TWO

"Normally I charge for this sort of thing, but I'll make this argument pro bono," begins @@randomname(1)@@, cracking @@HIS@@ knuckles and opening a prepared dossier of legal arguments. "Firstly, nulla poena sine lege. Secondly, it's clearly stated on my website that the essays and dissertations provided are unique crafted example texts, and that the condition of sale is that they must not be passed as the purchaser's work. I can hardly be blamed if these products are misused, can I? Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine praevia lege poenali. The students are sui juris. A company cannot be blamed for the actions of its customer." The dossier falls to your desk with the force of a mic drop.

Outcome: the law says its okay to sell a bomb to a terrorist so long as they promise not to detonate it

OPTION THREE

"Sooey joorey what now?" asks your brother suspiciously. "I hate lawyers and all their fancy Latin speak. What's wrong with speaking plainly in own language? I reckon we can deal with this whole mess by getting rid of courts and lawyers. It's only what they deserve. Quid pro quo, right?"

Outcome: the government says only criminals harp on about "innocent until proven guilty"
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:12 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:VALIDITY:

Must have courts, internet and capitalism.

Universities, too.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Prominent lawyer @@randomname@@ recently quit his prestigious criminal prosecution job, [...] The senior partner at @@HIS@@ firm

Prosecutors work for the government, not law firms.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:What's wrong with speaking plainly in own language?

"in one's own language?"
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 am

Universities, too.

There's currently no way no track this, but that's okay, as there's no way to ban universities either, I think.

Prosecutors work for the government, not law firms.

Good point. Changed to defence.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's currently no way no track this, but that's okay, as there's no way to ban universities either, I think.
#209: Students Demand Financial Aid [Rajlworld; ed:Sirocco]

4. "Why bother with universities anyway," says refuse collector @@RANDOMNAME@@. "These students could be working and earning a living instead of wasting time and money learning things with no point whatsoever. Who needs to know about ancient Maxtopian poetry, huh? Who would hire you for that? There are plenty of jobs out there, so why don't they go and get one? I'll tell you why: it's because they are lazy. I propose the government close all universities in @@NAME@@ and make people get a job after they leave school. With all the money saved from closing down universities we can have a well-deserved tax cut too."
Other anti-education options like #40 5 and #374 3 also deserve a mention. (#64 4 is less like this than it used to be.)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 am

Good point.

Good case for a new policy being introduced, I think, as this is not a decision that is directly tracked at present.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am

On the other hand, having read this, I don't see why your nation needs to have internet. :P

Then again, it could be hidden in some of that Latin that I couldn't understand but found hysterical by option 2.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am

I think the reason I've said internet is needed is because these sorts of businesses only really took off in the age of the internet. The trading of ideas and essays as a commodity on a large scale only becomes economically viable when operating in the information age.

I do have the second option mentioning a "website", but that is because I believe that the narrative makes no sense in a non-internet society. It just doesn't ring true that an essay-writing service could be more profitable than legal work if the internet doesn't exist.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm

RE: Option 3-are you sure that all legal languages contain Latin?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:RE: Option 3-are you sure that all legal languages contain Latin?

They don't in every real world country, but then most real world countries don't have English as their primary language either.

Latin is the legal language in territories where English is the primary language. Players mentally pretending that the English of speakers is a different language can do the same for the Latin.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?