NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Several Hundred Matches Made in Heaven

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT]Several Hundred Matches Made in Heaven

Postby Fauxia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm

[description]@@RANDOMFEMALENAME1@@ grows increasingly agitated every day, due to your rather unorthodox marital laws. She feels imprisoned as one of the almost seven hundred wives of @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ Solomon, who has lost interest in her for some of his newer, younger spouses.

[validity]must have "permanent marriage" and "polygamy"

[option]"I haven't spoken to that creep in two years!" exclaims @@RANDOMFEMALENAME1@@, dropping a blackened wedding ring on your desk. "He prefers to hang around his ugly new wives instead of the one he professed to love so long ago. This is what polygamy causes, @@LEADER@@! However, I understand that allowing people some marital freedom is a good idea. Just extend that freedom to the ability to acquire a divorce! I've moved on from him. He's moved on from me. There's no reason for us to be considered married anymore!"
[fallout]the average @@DEMONYM@@ marries seven times and divorces six times daily

[option]"Oh Violet no, that only encourages even more promiscuity!" reproaches rumored cultist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is said to be the ugliest resident of @@CAPITAL@@. "The problem here isn't our divorce laws, it's the fact that people can marry whoever they damn well please, whenever they damn well please! All that does is encourage neglect of your original spouse whenever someone prettier or more handsome comes along. I do suppose that criminalizing polygamy will mean that there will have to be some annulments involved, but let's make it simple- your first marriage is your only marriage."
[fallout]murder rates are rising dramatically among the former spouses of former polygamists

[option]"Both of these people are only half right," remarks foreign affairs official @@RANDOMNAME@@, known as your "Minister of Going with the Flow" for @@HIS@@ political stances. "We have to realize that not allowing divorce causes unhappiness, because one can't divorce their spouse no matter how much of a drunken, abusive, adulterating disappointment they are. However, polygamy just encourages neglect, and could even cause some diseases! Most of our neighbors in @@REGION@@ have banned polygamy and legalized divorce, so they may like us more for it!
[fallout]the nation switches its policies whenever they deviate from most other countries

[option]"I think our policies are fine, for the most part," states @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ "The Thinker" @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ an advisor you seem to remember firing several weeks ago. "I think that allowing people to have multiple spouses is a good idea. However, I also believe that people should be held accountable for their actions. Divorce just allows people to marry whatever person they want if they feel aroused. I think we can prevent this by mandating that one must always provide for their spouse monetarily. That way they aren't irresponsible about their marriages. I think that will work."
[fallout]the Department of Marriage Legality is @@NAME@@'s most prestigious ministry

[description]@@RANDOMFEMALENAME1@@ is increasingly agitated every day, due to your rather unorthodox marital laws. She feels imprisoned as one of the almost seven hundred wives of @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ Solomon, who has lost interest in her for some of his younger, more attractive spouses.

[option]"I haven't even spoken to that creep in two years!" exclaims @@RANDOMFEMALENAME1@@, dropping a blackened wedding ring on your desk. "He prefers to hang around those ugly new girls. That's what polygamy will cause! However, I understand that allowing people some marital freedom is a good idea. Just extend that freedom to the ability to acquire a divorce! I've moved on from him. He's moved on from me. There's no reason for us to be considered married anymore!
[fallout]the average @@DEMONYM@@ marries seven times and divorces six times daily

[option]"Oh Violet no, that only encourages more promiscuity!" reproaches rumored cultist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is said to be the ugliest resident of @@CAPITAL@@. "The problem here isn't our divorce laws, it's the fact that people can marry whoever they damn well please, whenever they damn well please! All that does is encourage neglect of your original spouse whenever someone prettier or more handsome comes along. I do suppose that criminalizing polygamy will mean that there will have to be some annulments involved, but let's make it simple- your first marriage is your only marriage."
[fallout]murder rates are rising dramatically among the former spouses of former polygamists

[option]"Both of these people are right and wrong," remarks foreign affairs official @@RANDOMNAME@@, known as your "Minister of Going with the Flow" for his political stances. "We have to realize that not allowing divorce causes unhappiness, because one can't divorce their spouse no matter how much of a drunken, abusive, adulterating disappointment they are. However, polygamy just encourages neglect, and could even cause some diseases. Most of our neighbors in @@REGION@@ have banned polygamy and legalized divorce, so we may as well do the same."
[fallout]the nation switches its policies whenever they deviate from most other countries

[description]Your government has received several complaints in the last few days regarding some of your unorthodox conjugal laws. It seems that refusing to allow divorce, while allowing polygamy, has meant that a substantial and still-growing number of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are married to each other.

[validity]must have "no divorce" and must have "permanent marriage"

[option]"The ban on divorce is obsolete!" claims David Solomon, who is said to be married to almost every woman in @@CAPITAL@@. "I was a young fool when I married some of these women, and now I want to get rid of them, but your authoritarian law says I can't! Frankly, it's ridiculous. Sometimes, the woman, or man, just isn't right. And let's face it, the current policy is likely to accelerate population beyond a reasonable point. This is the practical option."
[fallout]the average @@DEMONYM@@ marries seven times and divorces ten times every day

must allow religion
[option]"Shame on you, @@LEADER@@," croaks the Almost Half Reverend @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who looks a bit like he cannot breathe. "I cannot believe that you would have the government allow morally odious behavior like polygamy. It's degrading to the moral fiber of the nation. You must ban polygamy, and all other forms of adultery. Divorce must stay illegal, of course. Once married, always married, as the saying goes."
[fallout]murder rates are rising dramatically among the spouses of former polygamists

must not allow religion
[option]"Shame on you, @@LEADER@@," reproaches rumored cultist @@RANDOMNAME@@, while lurking in the shadows. "I cannot believe that you would have the government allow morally odious behavior like polygamy. It's degrading to the moral fiber of the nation. You must ban polygamy, and all other forms of adultery. Divorce must stay illegal, of course. Once married, always married, as the saying goes."
[fallout]murder rates are rising dramatically among the spouses of former polygamists

[option]"What's really the big deal?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is married to several hundred unhappy spouses. "I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If most people are married to each other, @@NAME@@ will be closer together. And maybe in the future, we will all be one big family. Literally."
Last edited by Fauxia on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Kind-of-United States
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kind-of-United States » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Seems like options 2 and 3 are a bit redundant. Do you have any way you could compress them into one?

Also, I sense this is similar to Issue #32. It too talked about polygamy and divorce, and as it's one of the original issues on NationStates, I don't think you could really do this idea.

You have a nice style, though. Keep trying! :clap:
Last edited by The Kind-of-United States on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane. Some of them were born sane, while others became sane later in their lives. It is up to people like us, who are out of our tiny little minds, to help them overcome their sanity." --Monty Python's Flying Circus

One published issue:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88&start=50#1008

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:39 pm

No mention of drunk weddings and quicky devorces? Ha! Okay!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm

The Kind-of-United States wrote:Seems like options 2 and 3 are a bit redundant. Do you have any way you could compress them into one?

Also, I sense this is similar to Issue #32. It too talked about polygamy and divorce, and as it's one of the original issues on NationStates, I don't think you could really do this idea.

Options 2 and 3 are alternates of the same option, dependant on the legality of religion.

It’s a bit like 32, but it isn’t too similar, I don’t think. This addresses a possible, yet very weird and problematic combination of policies.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Fauxia wrote:
The Kind-of-United States wrote:Seems like options 2 and 3 are a bit redundant. Do you have any way you could compress them into one?

Options 2 and 3 are alternates of the same option, dependant on the legality of religion.

It’s a bit like 32, but it isn’t too similar, I don’t think. This addresses a possible, yet very weird and problematic combination of policies.

I'm pretty sure that second option 2 works in nations that have it both legal and illegal.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 am

Interesting, let's take a look.

[description]Your government has received several complaints in the last few days regarding some of your unorthodox conjugal laws. It seems that refusing to allow divorce, while allowing polygamy, has meant that a substantial and still-growing number of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are married to each other.

Okay, so this would be for nations with polygamy but with divorce outlawed. Fauxia, I am 100% certain that you can come up with something funnier involving this than "your government has received several complaints."

[option]"The ban on divorce is obsolete!" claims David Solomon, who is said to be married to almost every woman in @@CAPITAL@@. "I was a young fool when I married some of these women, and now I want to get rid of them, but your authoritarian law says I can't! Frankly, it's ridiculous. Sometimes, the woman, or man, just isn't right. And let's face it, the current policy is likely to accelerate population beyond a reasonable point. This is the practical option."
[fallout]the average @@DEMONYM@@ marries seven times and divorces ten times every day

Okay, not sure why he'd claim it's accelerating population and I don't see it being that relevant to the issue at hand. Also wondering why you don't use @@RANDOMNAME@@... is there a reference I'm not getting here?

Additionally is there any way you can add a bit of character to this character?

must allow religion
[option]"Shame on you, @@LEADER@@," croaks the Almost Half Reverend @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who looks a bit like he cannot breathe. "I cannot believe that you would have the government allow morally odious behavior like polygamy. It's degrading to the moral fiber of the nation. You must ban polygamy, and all other forms of adultery. Divorce must stay illegal, of course. Once married, always married, as the saying goes."

must not allow religion
[option]"Shame on you, @@LEADER@@," reproaches rumored cultist @@RANDOMNAME@@, while lurking in the shadows. "I cannot believe that you would have the government allow morally odious behavior like polygamy. It's degrading to the moral fiber of the nation. You must ban polygamy, and all other forms of adultery. Divorce must stay illegal, of course. Once married, always married, as the saying goes."

I am wondering if there's not a way to create an option here that references the immorality of polygamy and the morality of anti-divorce laws without discussing religion. Perhaps:

"Don't listen to that half-baked cultist!" reproaches @@RANDOMNAME@@. "The problem here is not our divorce laws, it is that people can marry as many other people as they like. It's the legalisation of polygamy that is at fault here....." or something like that.

[option]"What's really the big deal?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is married to several hundred unhappy spouses. "I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If most people are married to each other, @@NAME@@ will be closer together. And maybe in the future, we will all be one big family. Literally."

What does this suggest or do that the dismiss button doesn't do?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 am

Chan Island wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Options 2 and 3 are alternates of the same option, dependant on the legality of religion.

I'm pretty sure that second option 2 works in nations that have it both legal and illegal.
Yes. But it won’t show up in nations where it’s legal, because there’s another option for it. It isn’t the first time it’s been done, and it won’t be the last.

@Caracasus, I see why I didn’t really enjoy writing this draft all that much... it’s bland. Will fix it when I have the time. Your suggsted option is better.

“David Solomon” is a reference to the Biblical characters David and Solomon... but David doesn’t actually work very well. Solomon, however, had 700 wives and 300 concubines, as the story goes, so I think it fits.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 am

If polygamy is suddenly banned but divorce remains illegal, what happens to all the people who were previously married to each other? Do they get a special one-time dispensation to annul most of those marriages?

Also, consider looking at ways in which remaining married to people you're no longer so interested in, even as you start taking new spouses, may be a good idea. For one thing, alimony. That's one way in which our culture often expects marriages to last beyond their official divorce. Spouses in a polygamist society being expected to support each other where necessary would serve a similar role - so you can take new lovers, but you can't just leave your old ones to rot.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:If polygamy is suddenly banned but divorce remains illegal, what happens to all the people who were previously married to each other? Do they get a special one-time dispensation to annul most of those marriages?

Also, consider looking at ways in which remaining married to people you're no longer so interested in, even as you start taking new spouses, may be a good idea. For one thing, alimony. That's one way in which our culture often expects marriages to last beyond their official divorce. Spouses in a polygamist society being expected to support each other where necessary would serve a similar role - so you can take new lovers, but you can't just leave your old ones to rot.
I think I will do something about someone who neglects their spouses because they have so many.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Bump for new draft

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 pm

no option to keep both no divorce and polygamy?

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:50 am

Merconitonitopia wrote:no option to keep both no divorce and polygamy?
Dismiss button... although I did consider adding one, so perhaps I should

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm

New draft up! Added a new option

Kurczak Mielony
Secretary

Founded: Jan 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurczak Mielony » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 am

I like this one!
Loosely (or tightly, IDK) related to what Trotterdam said, maybe you should have an issue where both are legal (Polygamy and divorce) but you have to be able to support the new wives/husbands. Not sure, but you might be able to roll with it. A possible effect line could be: "The government has a separate department for determining whether or not someone can marry"
EDIT: wait, that's literally your fourth option
Last edited by Kurczak Mielony on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Prime Minister of Conch Kingdom!

My NationStates statistics currently (do/do not) reflect my real views.

Augustin Alliance Central Strategic Committee
AARFGHCKLENADNJTFReference

|| AA Personnel Officer

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, thanks for the bump anyway...

suggestions?

I changed the fallout to something along the lines of what Kurczak said
Last edited by Fauxia on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Bumper cars is fun!

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 am

Bumpity do-da

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 am

I'm not sure I see how banning polygamy suddenly makes ex-spousal murder rates spike. Is it because "You told me I was your first wife, you two-timing bastard!!"? This would make more sense if that option let made each person pick a single one of their many spouses to remain married to.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:34 am

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:I'm not sure I see how banning polygamy suddenly makes ex-spousal murder rates spike.
Hint: divorce remains banned.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:I'm not sure I see how banning polygamy suddenly makes ex-spousal murder rates spike. Is it because "You told me I was your first wife, you two-timing bastard!!"? This would make more sense if that option let made each person pick a single one of their many spouses to remain married to.

Hey SL! Don't see you around in these parts a ton, still thanks for the advice!

I see where you're coming from, however, the suggestion doesn't seem very in-character with the rest of the option. Does GI generally agree here?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?