NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] A Permanent Stain

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] A Permanent Stain

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Huh. Turns out I only have one active draft up that isn't in need of some writing.
Time to upload another draft, I suppose. :P

So this is a draft I made to reverse full government transparency,
although I do intend to write an issue about this involving other nations.
(Unless someone else really wants to write about it)

Title: A Permanent Stain
The Issue: Following your decision to enact full disclosure and government transparency, documents from nearly a century ago have been released to the public - including information about Project @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega, a top-secret operation to kidnap and test @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for the "greater good". Many who have trusted the government are disgusted and outraged, while those who have always been cynical believe that this is a coverup for something much worse.
Validity: Nation has full disclosure/transparency

Option 1: "Was full government transparency really worth this?" whines your Press Secretary, who's been moping around your office for the last half hour. "It's just made everyone hate us! It's obvious that our attempts to be open and honest have just lead to horrible consequences, and always will. From this point onwards, we need to keep any government tasks kept secret from the public."
[effect] bureaucrats' orders at restaurants are incinerated to "keep confidential information secret"

Option 2: "Have you even considered that everyone might be right?" sputters your Overseer of Full Disclosure, who's been sitting in your office for the past hour and a half. "Disclosure has revealed the terrible truth that has plagued our fair nation — corruption! To gain our citizens' complete and total trust, we need to boot out any and everyone who has been involved with this project, and from here-on out give anyone caught doing anything unethical, or against the law, the boot. Only then will things be right!"
[effect] victorious politicians are immediately forced to resign for lying

Option 3: "You know, we could just pretend to be transparent," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, who's only been in your office for about a minute. "We'll pretend to leak information that only makes us look good. It's the only way we can recover from this. We'll claim that @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega never actually happened, arrest some random people, claim they spread these rumors, and then resume our research on them. What? We might as well start it up again."
[effect] even conspiracy theorists struggle to explain the government's contradictory coverups

Validity: Nation is capable of tv or whotube
Option 4: "Hey, if anything, the government should be making up more scandals!" excitedly proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a camera up to your face and showcasing all of your less attractive features. "Think of the drama, the ratings — the earnings we'd make! If we assigned every official a camera crew and get some actors to get them involved with some fake scandals, we could edit together the best darn reality show in @@REGION@@!"
[effect] "The Corrupt Government" is the most cringe worthy reality show

The Issue: Following your decision to enact full disclosure and government transparency, documents from nearly a century ago have been released to the public - including information about Project @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega, a top-secret operation to kidnap and test @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for the "greater good". Many who have trusted the government are disgusted and outraged, while those who have always been cynical believe that this is a coverup for something much worse.

Option 1: "Was full government transparency really worth this?" whines your Press Secretary, who's been moping around your office for the last half hour. "It's just made everyone hate us! It's obvious that our attempts to be open and honest have just lead to horrible consequences. From this point onwards, we need to keep any government tasks kept secret from the public. "
[effect] little trust remains for the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ government

Option 2: "Have you even considered that everyone might be right?" sputters your Overseer of Full Disclosure, who's been sitting in your office for the past hour and a half. "Disclosure has revealed the terrible truth that has plagued our fair nation - corruption! To gain full trust, we need to boot out any and everyone who has been involved with this project, and here-on out give anyone caught doing anything unethical, or against the law, the boot. Only then will things be right!"
[effect] government officials are relieved of duty for technically being unethical without knowing it

Option 3: "You know, we could just pretend to be transparent," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, who's only been in your office for about a minute. "We must pretend to leak information that only makes us look good. It's the only way we can recover from this. We'll claim that @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega never actually happened, arrest some random people, claim they spread these rumors, and then resume our research on them. What? We might as well start it up again."
[effect] government coverups contradicting each other have horribly damaged its reputation

Option 4: "Hey, if anything, the government should be making up more scandals!" excitedly proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a camera up to your face, showcasing all of your less attractive features. "Think of the drama! If we assigned every official a camera crew, and get some actors to get them involved with some fake scandals, we could edit together the best darn reality show in @@REGION@@!"

The Issue: Several controversial acts previously done by the government have been released to the public in accordance with its full disclosure and transparency policies. Rather than gaining trust, influential citizens defending the government have begun to turn the other cheek while skeptics are certain that the entire act is covering up something far more sinister, resulting in record-low approval ratings of the government.

Option 1: "Was full government transparency really worth this?" whines your Press Secretary, who's been moping around your office for the last half hour. "It's just made everyone hate us! It's obvious that our attempts to be open and honest have just lead to horrible consequences. We need to end full disclosure and go back to how things used to be."

Option 2: "Have you even considered that everyone might be right?" sputters your Overseer of Full Disclosure, who's been sitting in your office for the past hour and a half. "Disclosure has revealed the terrible truth that has plagued our fair nation - corruption! To gain full trust, we need to boot out any and everyone who has been caught breaking the law. Only then will things be right!"
[effect] government officials are relieved of duty for technically breaking the law without knowing it

Option 3: "You know, we could just pretend to be transparent," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, who's only been in your office for about a minute. "We'll have a fake purge, kicking out nobodies who we can pin the blame on, and only leak information that makes us look good. It's the only way we can recover from this."
[effect] government coverups contradicting each other have horribly damaged its reputation

Validity: Nation is capable of tv
Option 4: "Hey, if anything, the government should be making up more scandals!" excitedly proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a camera up to your face, showcasing all of your less attractive features. "Think of the drama! If we assigned every official a camera crew, and add a few fake scandals, we could edit together the best darn reality show in @@REGION@@!"
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Option 1 fallout is a bit boring... could be something about politicians being afraid to leave the Parliament building bc of all the riots.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Feria-Alkaline
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feria-Alkaline » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Jutsa wrote:Huh. Turns out I only have one active draft up that isn't in need of some writing.
Time to upload another draft, I suppose. :P

So this is a draft I made to reverse full government transparency,
although I do intend to write an issue about this involving other nations.
(Unless someone else really wants to write about it)

The Issue: Several controversial acts previously done by the government have been released to the public in accordance with its full disclosure and transparency policies. Rather than gaining trust, influential citizens defending the government have begun to turn the other cheek while skeptics are certain that the entire act is covering up something far more sinister, resulting in record-low approval ratings of the government.

Option 1: "Was full government transparency really worth this?" whines your Press Secretary, who's been moping around your office for the last half hour. "It's just made everyone hate us! It's obvious that our attempts to be open and honest have just lead to horrible consequences. We need to end full disclosure and go back to how things used to be."

Option 2: "Have you even considered that everyone might be right?" sputters your Overseer of Full Disclosure, who's been sitting in your office for the past hour and a half. "Disclosure has revealed the terrible truth that has plagued our fair nation - corruption! To gain full trust, we need to boot out any and everyone who has been caught breaking the law. Only then will things be right!"
[effect] government officials are relieved of duty for technically breaking the law without knowing it

Option 3: "You know, we could just pretend to be transparent," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, who's only been in your office for about a minute. "We'll have a fake purge, kicking out nobodies who we can pin the blame on, and only leak information that makes us look good. It's the only way we can recover from this."

Validity: Nation is capable of tv
Option 4: "Hey, if anything, the government should be making up more scandals!" excitedly proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a camera up to your face, showcasing all of your less attractive features. "Think of the drama! If we assigned every official a camera crew, and add a few fake scandals, we could edit together the best darn reality show in @@REGION@@!"

How about this fallout for Number 4? (Heads-up: probably not the best)

4: "Keeping up with @@NAME@@" has now become an obsession among the populace.
Sincerely, me.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:26 am

I've read this three times and I still have no idea what the issue is about. Can you make it clearer?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 am

I couldn't really think of a great premise for this one other than "now surprisingly few people trust your government because of your full disclosure". :P
I also couldn't really think of a great way of phrasing/explaining it.

I've legitimately tried working on some better premises, but it just so happened that "people are unsatisfied" was the one issue at the top of my list.
Do you think this could work, with a bit of reordering, or do you think something else should be involved?
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 am

Apologies, I really don't understand what the issue is about, so I can't really answer your question.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:22 am

Er, it's about how people who trusted your government are now suspicious since controversial actions have been released to the public,
while those suspicious of it are still so because, well, why should they believe what the government has to say.

I can't really think of anything more engaging for the issue I had, tbh, since a lot of times full disclosure involved public trust to begin with,
and it's supposed to show that being so integral may have actually hurt everyone's opinion on your integrity.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I think it’s a bit too general right now. You could make it about a few incidents, or vaguely reference some things that would usually be very top secret.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Ah, I'll try to add a bit of a specific example in a bit, then. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 am

That's it, it's not specific enough. Don't just add an example, instead make the whole issue about whatever example you come up with.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 am

Option 1 assumes that full disclosure wasn't always a thing
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:47 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1 assumes that full disclosure wasn't always a thing
It wasn’t if you had to decide it with an issue

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Sorry to ask this, but I've drawn a total blank on what kind of premise could cause this
without it being its own issue. I hope that's just me not thinking hard enough and not
an indication that this might not work as its own issue, though it's hard to tell,
and I'd like to ask for some ideas on how exactly this problem might arise - if possible. :blush:

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Jutsa wrote:Sorry to ask this, but I've drawn a total blank on what kind of premise could cause this
without it being its own issue. I hope that's just me not thinking hard enough and not
an indication that this might not work as its own issue, though it's hard to tell,
and I'd like to ask for some ideas on how exactly this problem might arise - if possible. :blush:
Sunno... MK Ultra type stuff? There are a lot of possibilities

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 am

Yeah, an MK Ultra thing could work.

Crazy internet sites could be good research here:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/33497/8- ... d-be-right

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:04 am

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to be using this. Many thanks. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am

*two weeks later*

Finally! I updated it. :rofl:

Idk why it took me so long, I had a lot of fun doing it. Ready for feedback and my optimism to be crushed. ;)
(no seriously if you don't like any of the changes I made I can try again)

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Might need adult validity? I'm also wondering if you should go at all more in depth.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I can if you'd like, though I don't want to add too much text... it's already a fair bit fatter than it was when I uploaded it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Weekly bump! I honestly don't know how to fatten it, and I also don't think it needs an adult tag,
though if you strongly recommend it or someone else agrees, I'll add it. :P

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Orange words are suggestions, orange ellipsis are removed phrases, underlined words are comments.

Jutsa wrote:
The Issue: Following your decision to enact full disclosure and government transparency, documents from nearly a century ago have been released to the public including information about Project @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega, a top-secret operation to kidnap and test @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for the "greater good". Many who have trusted the government are disgusted and outraged, while those who have always been cynical believe that this is a coverup for something much worse.

Option 1: "Was full government transparency really worth this?" whines your Press Secretary, who's been moping around your office for the last half hour. "It's ... made everyone hate us, instead! It's obvious that our attempts to be open and honest have just and will alwayslead to horrible consequences. From this point onwards, we need to keep any government tasks kept secret from the public, including the little things."
[effect] even bureaucrats' orders at restaurants are incinerated to "keep confidential information secret"

Option 2: "Have you even considered that everyone might be right?" sputters your Overseer of Full Disclosure, who's been sitting in your office for the past hour and a half. "Disclosure has revealed the terrible truth that has plagued our fair nation corruption! To gain our citizens' complete and total trust, we need to remove any and everyone who has been involved with this project, and from here-on out give anyone caught doing anything unethical, or against the law, the boot. Only then will things be right!"
[effect] victorious politicians are immediately forced to resign for lying

Option 3: "You know, we could just pretend to be transparent," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, who's only been in your office for about a minute. "In other words, we'll ... pretend to leak information that only makes us look good. It's the only way we can recover from this. We'll claim that @@CURRENCYINITIALS@@@@ANIMALINITIALS@@Mega never actually happened, arrest some random people, claim they spread these rumors, and then resume our research on them. What? We might as well start it up again."
[effect] even conspiracy theorists struggle to explain contradictory government coverups ...

Option 4: "Hey, if anything, the government should be making up more scandals!" excitedly proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a camera up to your face and showcasing all of your less attractive features. "Think of the drama and ratings! If we assigned every official a camera crew ... and get some actors to set up some fake scandals, we could edit together the best darn reality show in @@REGION@@!"
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Applies most of your suggestions. Many thanks. :)

Until now, I had no idea what the difference between -, –, and — were. :rofl:

Tbh I'd love if they were all just -. Idk if the editors sometimes just use - or not, but I changed my -s to —s regardless.

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Jutsa wrote:Applies most of your suggestions. Many thanks. :)

Until now, I had no idea what the difference between -, –, and — were. :rofl:

Tbh I'd love if they were all just -. Idk if the editors sometimes just use - or not, but I changed my -s to —s regardless.

See here. Not sure if the editors do care about the dash types, really.
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am

Bump~

I'll keep the em-dashes in regardless — they add a bit of flare. ;)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

*March Ninth*

I didn't expect a draft of mine to be on page 5... :rofl:

Final bump. :)
Edit: Unless a major suggestion/edit is made, of course
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?