NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED]Forgive and Forget (Human Rights)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

[ABANDONED]Forgive and Forget (Human Rights)

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Well, guys, another issue. Tell me whatcha think. I have some notes at the bottom.

[description]Many years ago, the tropical island of Haptu underwent a brutal revolution, which eventually established a communist dictatorship led by Francisco Castiel, who, as leader, harshly suppressed civil rights and political dissension. In response, @@NAME@@ placed an embargo on Haptu, but that was the end of it. However, Castiel’s recent death has placed the embargo in the spotlight.

[validity]must be capitalist, must have at least some restrictions to international trade

[option]"Forgive and forget, @@LEADER@@!" advocates your Minister of Foreign Affairs, @@RANDOMNAME@@, after talking to two toddlers very seriously. "It's true Haptu had a bad history with Castiel as dictator and all, but he's gone now. The nation recently released some of their old political prisoners as a gesture of good faith, and has allowed private industry to breathe a little more recently- I think these signs are good enough to show that Haptu is ready to act civil again. Lift the embargo to encourage it to continue."
[fallout]the nation doesn't mind civil rights abuses if they happened more than three months ago

[option]"Haptu is showing good signs," intones plutocrat @@RANDOMNAME@@, licking @@HIS@@ fingers delicately. "Unfortunately, that is all they are at this point- signs. It's economy is still basically run by the government, for one. One of my agents- ahem, friends, recently attempted to start a business there and got stomped out, if you need proof. Never mind they caught him for tax evasion, that's irrelevant! The point is, Haptu is improving, but it isn't yet at the point that we should lift the embargo. Wait it out a little while, and then you can reconsider."
[fallout]the nation is known for making crucial decisions only a few decades late

[option]"Why not give Haptu a chance at having the embargo removed?" proposes Minister of State Dinners @@RANDOMNAME@@, in between bites of chocolate eclair. "Invite the leaders of Haptu over for a meal. You can discuss plenty of things there, then evaluate whether you want to remove the embargo. We don't rush a decision, resolve the issue logically, and have some delicious food in the process, so everyone wins! Besides the taxpayers who have to pay for the thousand-@@CURRENCY@@ meals, of course, but it's for a good cause!"
[fallout]foreign nations stay on @@NAME@@'s good terms only for its culinary delights

[option]"I have a far easier way to solve this issue!" interjects your jingoistic Minister of Defense @@RANDOMNAME@@, who usually burns the chessboard when @@HE@@ plays against other members of the cabinet. "Forget the economics and the politics- Haptu no longer has a strong grip on its country, and because it is in the twilight zone of free and non-free nations, it lacks allies! That means it's the perfect time to invade the place! Glory to @@NAME@@!" @@HE@@ runs for a conveniently-placed grenade launcher.

If you couldn't guess, Haptu is meant to basically be a somewhat-exaggerated Cuba. As "Cuba" comes from an indigenous language, I used another one and combined "fertile" with "land"- well, roughly, the accuracy of the translation is questionable at best. Cuba means "abundant with fertile land" if you are wondering why I chose those words in particular. If you have a better name, feel free to mention it.

As for Francisco Castiel, Francisco sounded kinda like Fidel, and Castiel is basically "castle" and Castro means "fortress"

So yeah. What do y'all think?
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I first thought this was about the conflict with Australia/Fiji after their coup. Anyway, you never actually mention why @@NAME@@ has any involvement with the coup
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I first thought this was about the conflict with Australia/Fiji after their coup. Anyway, you never actually mention why @@NAME@@ has any involvement with the coup
It doesn’t. It opposes it
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 am

Cuba did nothing wrong.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

The description is quite long. Any way you could make it shorter while still getting the point across that @@NAME@@ has a stupid old embargo that's been there too long?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The description is quite long. Any way you could make it shorter while still getting the point across that @@NAME@@ has a stupid old embargo that's been there too long?
Yeah, I thought it was, but there wasn’t a ton I could do with it first round.

Merconitonitopia wrote:Cuba did nothing wrong.
I’d respond to this but it would take it into NSG territory. In any case, this is somewhat-exaggerated Cuba, and to a capitalist nation, communism is pretty bad.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 am

Agree with Monitor. Feels like there is an issue under there, but its buried under a lot of fat. Get the liposuction nozzle out, and slim it down.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Agree with Monitor. Feels like there is an issue under there, but its buried under a lot of fat. Get the liposuction nozzle out, and slim it down.
:p :clap:

Will do.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Agree with Monitor. Feels like there is an issue under there, but its buried under a lot of fat. Get the liposuction nozzle out, and slim it down.
Better, or is it still too long?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:47 am

[description]Many years ago, the tropical island of Haptu underwent a brutal revolution, which eventually established a communist dictatorship led by Francisco Castiel, who, as leader, harshly suppressed civil rights and political dissension. In response, @@NAME@@ placed an embargo on Haptu, but that was the end of it. However, Castiel’s recent death has placed the embargo in the spotlight.

The bolded part is a player autonomy sin. You can't decide that a nation historically placed an embargo. Many nations don't really used trade embargoes as part of their foreign policy. The validity criteria doesn't help here either, as there's all sorts of possible restrictions to international trade that are unrelated to embargoes. China, for example, has a lot of protectionist market restrictions, but is widely resistant to the idea of applying trade embargoes as a tool of diplomacy. The US, in contrast, tends to embrace international trade, but is also more prone than most to utilise trade embargoes.

The whole Cuba expy is a little clumsily done, I think. Maybe just take the scenario, but drop the referencing.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

The bolded part is a player autonomy sin. You can't decide that a nation historically placed an embargo. Many nations don't really used trade embargoes as part of their foreign policy. The validity criteria doesn't help here either, as there's all sorts of possible restrictions to international trade that are unrelated to embargoes. China, for example, has a lot of protectionist market restrictions, but is widely resistant to the idea of applying trade embargoes as a tool of diplomacy. The US, in contrast, tends to embrace international trade, but is also more prone than most to utilise trade embargoes.

The whole Cuba expy is a little clumsily done, I think. Maybe just take the scenario, but drop the referencing.
I can drop the references, that’s fine.

So do you think it should be an active issue, where the revolution is ongoing? Do we have any of those yet?

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am

Fauxia wrote:

I can drop the references, that’s fine.

So do you think it should be an active issue, where the revolution is ongoing? Do we have any of those yet?

Actually, we have a lot, I believe. None specifically referencing Cuba, but there are quite a lot. I think you should ditch any reference to a coup/embargo and focus on making a parallel to the US-Cuba relations thaw. Have the issue be about @@NAME@@ considering restoring diplomacy with a small nation it has been at odds with for some time due to competing ideologies. Use option validities to make it so that if you're communist, make it capitalist, and if you're capitalist, make it communist.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm

DrayXaso wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I can drop the references, that’s fine.

Actually, we have a lot, I believe. None specifically referencing Cuba, but there are quite a lot. I think you should ditch any reference to a coup/embargo and focus on making a parallel to the US-Cuba relations thaw. Have the issue be about @@NAME@@ considering restoring diplomacy with a small nation it has been at odds with for some time due to competing ideologies. Use option validities to make it so that if you're communist, make it capitalist, and if you're capitalist, make it communist.
Yeah, we do have quite a few, I believe. I don't really see how this can work.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Fauxia wrote:
DrayXaso wrote:Actually, we have a lot, I believe. None specifically referencing Cuba, but there are quite a lot. I think you should ditch any reference to a coup/embargo and focus on making a parallel to the US-Cuba relations thaw. Have the issue be about @@NAME@@ considering restoring diplomacy with a small nation it has been at odds with for some time due to competing ideologies. Use option validities to make it so that if you're communist, make it capitalist, and if you're capitalist, make it communist.
Yeah, we do have quite a few, I believe. I don't really see how this can work.

Again, just focus on whether or not to thaw relations with a country that opposes your ideology. Don't even mention the coup.
What I'd propose, as I said before, is making the issue available to both capitalist and communist countries, but have option validities establish Haptu as communist if @@NAME@@ is capitalist and capitalist if @@NAME@@ is communist.

For example, option 2 could be as it is now if @@NAME@@ is capitalist, but if @@NAME@@ is communist have the speaker be a Minister who is describing some poor person's struggles in (capitalist) Haptu.

I think that would be the best way to make the issue appealing enough to be published: make the core idea restoring relations with a political opposite, but make it versatile enough that Haptu changes based on @@NAME@@'s core ideology. This way, you can have it be unique while also available to almost all nations.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:42 pm

DrayXaso wrote:whether or not to thaw relations with a country that opposes your ideology
Err... wait.

#610 Only @@LEADER@@ Could Go To Dàguó

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am

I think it'd be better to leave in some of the US/Cuba-specific history to keep the issue distinctive. I disagree with Dray about taking the coup out.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 am

CWA agreed... I guess he would be ok if they were done better, but it’s not really a strong point of mine.

Trotterdam wrote:
DrayXaso wrote:whether or not to thaw relations with a country that opposes your ideology
Err... wait.

#610 Only @@LEADER@@ Could Go To Dàguó
Daguo is about warming relations with a nation that traditionally doesn’t. It mentions militarism and isolationism, but that isn’t very important.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 am

Fauxia wrote:

CWA agreed... I guess he would be ok if they were done better, but it’s not really a strong point of mine.

The coup isn't a player autonomy issue.

Having @@NAME@@ embargo Haptu in the @desc is the problem. The embargo stuff should go in the options.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?