NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] An Open And Shut Case?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] An Open And Shut Case?

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 am

[desc] Pear Inc, the largest smartphone manufacturer in the nation, has been unable to produce any more devices due to a crippling shortage of Quandium, which is an essential material required in smart gadgets. With local reserves of Quandium fully depleted, industry observers are proposing opening up the country to foreign trade and importing the important metal.

[validity] Only valid for nations with an autarky policy and phones

[option] "You must end autarky completely!" demands Steve Tasks, the CEO of Pear Inc, which hasn't been able to fufill any of its orders for several straight months. "Our proud company has been unfairly punished by the nonsensical ban on imports, hurting our loyal customers and damaging our reputation. The only way to remedy the situation is to end this silly policy and allow us to obtain as much Quandium as we need from abroad, so that we can start selling our products again."
[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have willingly forsaken economic security in exchange for keeping their Pear Phones
[policy] cancels autarky

[option] "That would leave us at the mercy of multinational corporations and external market fluctuations," dismisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Resources, typing on a clunky personal computer. "And besides, why do we need mobile devices anyway? They require numerous rare metals to function that could be better utilised in the military and for scientific research. We should outlaw these wasteful gadgets and free our nation from dependence on any and all foreign resources."
[effect] officials are often seen carrying bulky workstations around for simple administrative work
[policy] bans mobile phones

[option] "A bit of conquest should do the trick," suggests the Army Commander, indicating several potential targets. "Our dearth of Quandium can be easily solved by seizing some of Núi Và Sông's rich Quandium deposits. While we're at it, we might as well become self-sufficient in other areas by annexing the resources we require, be it oil from Althaniq, iron ore from new Dàgúo or fish from Macronesia. Our brave soldiers will be given something to do, and our territory will grow to accommodate our expanding population."
[effect] @@NAME@@ declares war on Brancaland whenever @@LEADER@@'s pancakes run out of maple syrup

[desc] Following the enactment of autarkist policies in @@NAME@@, the nation has banned the import of foreign products. As a result, the cost of manufacturing electronic hardware has risen dramatically, hurting the IT industry and raising the prices of machinery and consumer goods. Industry representatives and ordinary citizens are calling for something to be done to resolve the issue.

[validity] Only valid for nations with an autarky policy and computers

[option] "End autarky now!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, an IT technician, struggling to fix your office computer. "Admittedly, I was initially glad that our jobs wouldn't be outsourced to other countries and that we were taking back our sovereignty. However, it soon became apparent that our local industry was ill-equipped to produce the hardware necessary, like circuit boards, touch sensors and sound cards. We desperately need cheap hardware from overseas before our industry collapses!"
[effect] @@NAME@@ lacks a strong manufacturing base
[policy] cancels autarky

[option] "That would leave us at the mercy of multinational corporations and external market fluctuations," dismisses the manager of the largest electronics factory, delivering a presentation on industry performance. "The biggest problem here is that the manufacturing cost of electrical components is too high, cutting into the bottom line of the IT industry. If you were to relax quality standards and remove environmental protections on electronic waste disposal, we could drive down costs significantly. This would ensure the survival of our industry."
[effect] lakes of battery acid can often be found near computer factories

[option] "A bit of conquest should do the trick," suggests the Army Commander, indicating several potential targets. "We'll seize a few factories from our selfish neighbours, and repurpose them to manufacture electronic parts. While we're at it, we might as well become self-sufficient in other areas by annexing the resources we require, be it oil from Althaniq, iron ore from new Dàgúo or fish from Macronesia. Our brave soldiers will be given something to do, and our territory will grow to accomodate our expanding population."
[effect] @@NAME@@ declares war on Brancaland whenever @@LEADER@@'s pancakes run out of maple syrup

[desc] Following the enactment of autarkist policies in @@NAME@@, the nation has banned the import of raw materials and foreign products. As a result, the price of manufacturing basic consumer goods has risen dramatically in all sectors, inflating the cost of living and hurting the quality of life of most @@DENONYMPLURAL@@. Industry representatives and ordinary citizens are calling for something to be done to resolve the issue.

[validity] Only valid for nations with an autarky policy

[option] "End autarky now!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, a common factory worker, raising @@HIS@@ spanner in a threatening manner. "Admittedly, I was initially glad that our jobs wouldn't be outsourced to other countries and that we were taking back our sovereignty. How could I have known that my expenses would reach such ridiculous levels, where basic necessities such as food, water and even Maxémon trading cards would be beyond reach? You must stop this idiotic policy before we all starve to death!"
[effect] unemployment has shot up as manufacturing jobs leave for Bigtopia
[policy] cancels autarky

[option] "That would just expose us to the fluctuation of external markets," dismisses the manager of the largest @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ firm, handing you a productivity report. "The biggest problem here is that our production costs are too high, making our products virtually unaffordable. If you were to relax quality standards and remove environmental protections, we could drive down costs significantly. This would ensure the survival of our people."
[effect] high quality goods can only be found on the black market

[option] "A bit of conquest should do the trick," suggests the Army Commander, indicating several potential targets. "Whatever our nation lacks can be taken from our selfish neighbours. Be it oil from Althaniq, iron ore from new Dàgúo or fish from Macronesia, I'm sure that we can become self-sufficient by annexing the resources we require. Our brave soldiers will be given something to do, and our territory will grow to accomodate our expanding population."

[desc] State representatives, consisting of you and a dozen other important officials, had just finished attending a diplomatic conference held in the United Federation. On the way out, you stumbled upon a trade fair organised nearby, where United Federation businesses gather regularly to promote their advanced gadgets to the rest of the world. Some among your ranks are starting to suggest bringing these gizmos into @@NAME@@, and possibly doing away with autarky altogether.

[validity] Only valid for nations with an autarky policy

[option] "Whoa! Look at all this cool merch!" exclaims the easily impressed Science Ambassador to the United Federation, giddy with excitement at the spectacle. "Did you see that three-pronged gyroscope, that octuple-bladed lightsaber or the genetically modified dinosaur with laser beams coming out of its robot arms? We don't have anything like this back home, and I think that our citizens would love to have some of this sort of stuff. Why don't we lift the ban on imports completely and allow @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to buy whatever they want, from wherever they like?"
[effect] cheap Bigtopian trinkets are flooding the country following an end to autarkist policy
[policy] cancels autarky

[option] "We shall not be so easily swayed," rebukes the Minister of Food Security, mercilessly tearing apart flyers and bursting trade fair balloons. "The import ban is essential to ensure that our nation retains its sovereignty through self-sufficiency. We cannot allow ourselves to fall prey to the predatory economic thrusts of outsiders, like the market manipulations conducted by Dàgúo and the maple syrup syndicates run by Brancaland. Autarky is non-negotiable, and to compromise on the issue is absurd."
[effect] citizens regularly emigrate overseas to enjoy Skandilundian meatballs and Maxtopian shrimp dishes banned in @@NAME@@

[option] "There's always a third option," lampshades @@RANDOMNAME@@, the unscrupulous President of the United Federation, who is rumoured to have started a war with Althaniq for personal profit. "While some of your pesky citizens may vehemently oppose opening up the economy to foreign influence, I'm sure that an exception could be made for officials in your administration. In return for their valuable contributions to @@NAME@@, they should be allowed to bring in exotic goods for their own consumption. We'll keep mum about this and nobody will be any the wiser."
[effect] government officials are often caught selling foreign goods on the black market
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:09 am

So... any comments?
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:51 am

I appreciate the stab at a specific narrative, but cool gadgets seems too trivial a thing for people to propose to the government a reversal on a policy on autarky.

Can this be reframed so that the potential import good is more consequential in some way? Something like medicines you don't know how to make in @@NAME@@, or an important industrial good that can't be produced in @@NAME@@ for geographic reasons, or something like that? Have something be at risk, whether its the health of the nation or potential economic development, and then present a range of options to deal with the dilemma (from allowing imports, to less practical alternatives, to seizing with force.)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Effect line 1 could just be shortened to "cheap Bigtopian trinkets are flooding the country".
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I appreciate the stab at a specific narrative, but cool gadgets seems too trivial a thing for people to propose to the government a reversal on a policy on autarky.

Can this be reframed so that the potential import good is more consequential in some way? Something like medicines you don't know how to make in @@NAME@@, or an important industrial good that can't be produced in @@NAME@@ for geographic reasons, or something like that? Have something be at risk, whether its the health of the nation or potential economic development, and then present a range of options to deal with the dilemma (from allowing imports, to less practical alternatives, to seizing with force.)

Conducted an overhaul.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Option 1- if people can't afford to buy food, it means that the sellers of the food can't afford to hire workers, which means their suppliers can't afford to hire workers, etc.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 am

Better, though I personally would still say a more specific narrative - built around a single product rather than the economy as a whole - would make for a more engaging story.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Better, though I personally would still say a more specific narrative - built around a single product rather than the economy as a whole - would make for a more engaging story.
I agree with this. Just to expand- it should be about @@NAME@@ attempting to have a certain resource that it really can’t. I wonder- what if a new macro was made for this- @@LOWESTINDUSTRY@@? It could be the worst industry, and it would be great for this.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 am

Fauxia wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Better, though I personally would still say a more specific narrative - built around a single product rather than the economy as a whole - would make for a more engaging story.
I agree with this. Just to expand- it should be about @@NAME@@ attempting to have a certain resource that it really can’t. I wonder- what if a new macro was made for this- @@LOWESTINDUSTRY@@? It could be the worst industry, and it would be great for this.

Problem with macros that pick a different industry for each nation is that the issue itself would end up having to be vague and ambiguous to support that.

I think just pick a specific product, and centre the issue around that.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am

Also, some industries don't describe physical goods that can be imported.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I agree with this. Just to expand- it should be about @@NAME@@ attempting to have a certain resource that it really can’t. I wonder- what if a new macro was made for this- @@LOWESTINDUSTRY@@? It could be the worst industry, and it would be great for this.

Problem with macros that pick a different industry for each nation is that the issue itself would end up having to be vague and ambiguous to support that.

I think just pick a specific product, and centre the issue around that.
That’s fair
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I tried.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 am

Hmm... Sorry, that's not really it. You've picked a category of products and tacked it onto the existing narrative, but not made it central to the story. You can tell that's the case, because you could replace your chosen product with any other, and the issue would still be identical.

What I'd suggest is a narrative that starts with a specific product that can only be acquired through import, or a specific product sought internationally that can only be produced domestically.

Real life examples:

Mahogany comes from trees indigenous to the Americas. If Britain established a policy of autarky, then furniture builders and restorers who want this material would have to find some other solution, such as using aged British oak (not the same, but could be an approximation), or moving away from high quality wood and into easier to source materials, or just opening up to trade again.

Champagne can only be produced in France. If France were to go isolationist autarky, then champagne sellers would complain that 99% of their market has gone, and that within a year or two they'll lose all their market share to other nations' equivalent sparking white wines (Cava, etc,).

So start with the product, explain why autarky troubles that product and its dependent markets, then lay out specific solutions to the problem, one of which would be autarky reversal.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Champagne can only be produced in France. If France were to go isolationist autarky, then champagne sellers would complain that 99% of their market has gone, and that within a year or two they'll lose all their market share to other nations' equivalent sparking white wines (Cava, etc,).
Only because champagne produced elsewhere is arbitrarily not called "champagne". An autarky would almost certainly not support protected designation of origin laws, considering that it does not accept foreign nations as valid origins at all.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

Good point. More giving general examples of the type of story that would be less dry and more directly engaging, as opposed to proposing that in particular be used.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I think I know how to be specific without altering the draft too much. If I were you, I would stick with the IT industry, and say that NS' Apple rip-off (the name eludes me at the moment) has been unable to make a new smartphone without, for example, the element Maxbarrium, which is found solely in Maxtopia. This element is necessary for a trademark component, and the release of the phone has been delayed as a result.

First option and third option could be kept mostly the same, while the second option could instead be a proposal by NS' Apple rip-off. It would probably be the best way to focus on a specific incident without losing focus on the policy at large.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 am

Drayxaso wrote:I think I know how to be specific without altering the draft too much. If I were you, I would stick with the IT industry, and say that NS' Apple rip-off (the name eludes me at the moment) has been unable to make a new smartphone without, for example, the element Maxbarrium, which is found solely in Maxtopia. This element is necessary for a trademark component, and the release of the phone has been delayed as a result.

First option and third option could be kept mostly the same, while the second option could instead be a proposal by NS' Apple rip-off. It would probably be the best way to focus on a specific incident without losing focus on the policy at large.

I tried.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Looking through the drafts, I think you're headed in the right general direction.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 am

Any suggestions?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Last call for suggestions.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 am

Modified an effect line.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Much better than the last time I read this carefully, nice job. Especially the fallout on option 3 :rofl:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 am

Apologies, just realised my current self-edit mildly clashes with this.

I'm currently working up Mining Blues, which is my 2016 issue about cobalt:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=369726

The premise is totally different to this issue, but essentially its about a limited availability element used in electronics, so may overlap with your chosen subject matter.

Only just noticed the changes you made. Feel free to proceed as is, though it may be more distinct to choose a scarce resource other than Quandium.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Only just noticed the changes you made. Feel free to proceed as is, though it may be more distinct to choose a scarce resource other than Quandium.

What would it mean to 'choose a scarce resource other than Quandium'?

Should I make it something like Code Geass's Sakuradite, found in Japan Area 11, which was a strategic resource only located in the colony?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 am

I don't know the reference. What I mean is, maybe make it so that it's something other than an element that computing depends upon, as that's more or less the theme of Mining Blues.

Feel free not to though: others may deem the overlap small enough that it doesn't matter.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?