NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Just Plane Ridiculous

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Just Plane Ridiculous

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 am

[desc] As of late, a growing proportion of @@DEMONYM@@ citizens are accepting the idea that the world is flat, causing educational institutions nationwide significant vexation. Various interest groups are now approaching you to break the impasse.

[validity] Only valid for nations with high primitiveness

[option validity] Only valid for nations with a space programme
[option] "There is much evidence pointing towards the earth being a level plane," claims the Leader of the Future Association for Knowing Earth, handing you a thin folder holding documents of dubious origin. "It's obvious that the world exists as a flat surface. I boarded a plane once, and I didn't see the slightest bit of curvature on the plain we flew over. The spherical earth theory is simply a cover for the national space agency to steal our hard-earned tax money. You should shut them down and spread the true earth model to the rest of the world."
[effect] @@NAME@@ is attempting to convince nations all around the world that the earth is flat

[option validity] Only valid for nations without a space programme
[option] "There is much evidence pointing towards the earth being a level plane," claims the Leader of the Future Association for Knowing Earth, handing you a thin folder holding documents of dubious origin. "It's obvious that the world exists as a flat surface. I boarded a plane once, and I didn't see the slightest bit of curvature on the plain we flew over. The spherical earth theory is simply a way for astrological organisations to justify blowing money on fancy toys like kaleidoscopes or whatever it is they play with. You should cut their funding and spread the true earth model to the rest of the world."
[effect] @@NAME@@ is attempting to convince nations all around the world that the earth is flat

[option] "While we may not have the answers for everything, one thing we can be sure of is that the earth is definitely not flat," states the Headmaster of the Topological Research University of Empiricism, presenting you with a thick tome containing tedium-inducing peer-reviewed journals on geological formations. "To deny this easily provable theory is the height of ignorance. We have to correct these illogical assumptions before anti-intellectualism takes root in our society. You must grant us as much @@CURRENCY@@s as we require to organise expeditions to show flat-earthers that their beliefs are false."
[effect] university students are dragging flat-earthers to the four corners of the world to disprove their theories

[option validity] Only valid for nations without a space programme
[option] "That still won't convince them!" insists @@RANDOMNAME@@, a rocket scientist, who has been unable to find a job in @@NAME@@. "We must devote a significant part of the national budget to starting a space agency. If we were to launch satellites into orbit and spacecraft to the moon, then we would be able to collect enough concrete evidence to demonstrate that the earth is a sphere, and I will finally be employed. What are we waiting for?"
[effect] the government is expending billions annually to take selfies of earth from space
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 am

In the description, @@DEMONYM@@ has been misspelled as @@DENONYM@@.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 am

This looks good. Were you inspired by the guy who built a rocket to prove that the Earth is flat?
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:39 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:This looks good. Were you inspired by the guy who built a rocket to prove that the Earth is flat?

Yes.

Also, this animeme.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:This looks good. Were you inspired by the guy who built a rocket to prove that the Earth is flat?

Yes.

Also, this animeme.

I figured.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 am

Option 1 doesn't present much of an argument as to how the earth could be flat. It might be worth checking out the Flat Earth Society's website to see what arguments they present.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:51 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Yes.
...How did that end up? Did the rocket ever fly? What results did he get?

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Yes.
...How did that end up? Did the rocket ever fly? What results did he get?

Look it up. He never actually launched because he didn't have proper permits or something. He planned to launch 1800 feet into the air to prove that Earth is flat.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 am

Aw, man! I even had a draft about this. :rofl:

May want to move the space program validity to only option 3, and maybe add an alternative to option 1 for nations with space programs to abolish them for their waste of resources.
After all, the U.S. has a space program, and afaik we have the largest concentration of flat-earthers. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Navajo Indians
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Navajo Indians » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 am

You should probably use @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in the description.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:50 am

Baggieland wrote:Option 1 doesn't present much of an argument as to how the earth could be flat. It might be worth checking out the Flat Earth Society's website to see what arguments they present.

One of their arguments.
Option one actually presents one of their most popular arguments: That the earth looks flat from up in the sky.
But the fact that there is a horizon disproves this idea immediately.

Then again, convincing arguments isn't exactly one of their strong suits.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 am

The Navajo Indians wrote:You should probably use @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in the description.

E.g. "There is a growing number of @@DEMONYM@@ citizens" becomes "There is a growing number of Singaporean citizens"

It is correct.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:53 am

Jutsa wrote:May want to move the space program validity to only option 3, and maybe add an alternative to option 1 for nations with space programs to abolish them for their waste of resources.

Suggestion implemented.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 am

Any suggestions?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:48 am

Fun issue. Nice title.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:10 am

Last call for submission.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:Last call for submission.
Options are great. I’m no huge fan of the description though, particularly the first sentence. Doesn’t flow well, imo
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Last call for submission.
Options are great. I’m no huge fan of the description though, particularly the first sentence. Doesn’t flow well, imo

Is it a bit better now?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Options are great. I’m no huge fan of the description though, particularly the first sentence. Doesn’t flow well, imo

Is it a bit better now?
Yes :)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You have come up with a better argument for lying about the shape of the Earth than most actual flat earthers. Most of them say that pilots, governments and globe manufacturers are all lying because selling globes generates significant profits. Cudoes to you for putting more thought into it than actual flat earthers. The flat earthers should be more paranoid
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Australian rePublic wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:
You have come up with a better argument for lying about the shape of the Earth than most actual flat earthers. Most of them say that pilots, governments and globe manufacturers are all lying because selling globes generates significant profits. Cudoes to you for putting more thought into it than actual flat earthers. The flat earthers should be more paranoid

I should try making some conspiracy theories of my own. ;P

Anyway, this draft is good to go, right?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm

There should be an option saying it doesn't matter either way. It's not like their hurting anyone
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:There should be an option saying it doesn't matter either way. It's not like their hurting anyone

The dismissal button would suffice.

However, I admit that another option would be intriguing.
If someone else agrees with the suggestion, I may consider implementing it.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm

For reference, I actually did have that dismissal-like option in my original draft for this, but I agree, the dismiss button should suffice.

You could also add an option to make preaching the belief illegal, which I had in mind,
although this draft is ready for submission, I think, if you don't add an option like that.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Eh, submitted.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?