NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Electric Election?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Electric Election?

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:46 am

[desc] Due to the policy of making voting compulsory, accident and injury rates rose drastically during the latest election, where many voters were forced to brave especially bad weather conditions to cast their votes. Suggestions are now pouring in to improve the voting process.

[validity] Only valid for democratic nations with compulsory voting

[option] "It took me five hours to reach the voting centre!" laments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a paraplegic, wiping mud off the sides of @@HIS@@ wheelchair. "I had to wade through flooded streets, avoid a landslide, and hitch a ride on the roof of a train. It's a wonder that I even made it in one piece! It would be so much safer and convenient if we could vote for candidates via our phones, mailing our options or through proxies. While it may be a tad insecure and difficult to verify in some instances, imagine how convenient it would be, in addition to the time and resources you could save."
[effect] the number of votes candidates get directly corresponds with the size of their Twitcher following

[option] "What is this nonsense?" splutters a voting centre supervisor, storming into your office. "Not only will such a scheme trivialise the act of voting, but it is also highly susceptible to tampering. It is quite possible that criminals might take advantage of the system to impersonate voters and manage to alter the results of an election. And let's be honest here, people who don't bother to show up to vote probably aren't invested in the electoral races anyway. We should make voting voluntary, and give those who choose to involve themselves in the process a larger voice."
[effect] the physically-impaired have been unofficially disenfranchised

[option] "Wouldn't it be much better if citizens could vote on individual issues directly?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, an e-democracy advocate, who is responsible for flooding your feedback box with suggestions. "Referendums received by the government should be displayed to the public, so that informed citizens can register their votes remotely with their devices. Referendums that obtain more than half of popular approval should become law and be carried out by civil servants. With such a system, elected representatives won't be required anymore and the will of the people will be respected!"
[effect] voters who do not have mobile devices are excluded from the democratic process

[option] "This gives me an idea," monologues @@RANDOMNAME@@, your party vice chairperson, sporting a rather sinister expression. "If we make electronic voting the only way to go, it should be incredibly easy to fudge election results. Unlike physical ballot sheets that can be traced and verified, modification of digital records can't be easily tracked. Although this would essentially turn our nation into a one-party state, we can pretend that this isn't a dictatorship. There will still be 'elections', right?"
[effect] the ruling party boasts a 105 percent approval rating

[desc] Following a record low turnout in the latest election, political observers are calling for electronic voting to be introduced so as to increase voter participation. You have decided to review their suggestions.

[validity] Only valid for democratic nations without compulsory voting

[option validity] Only valid for nations with the internet
[option] "I'm simply too busy to go to voting booths," admits @@RANDOMNAME@@, an overworked office worker, nervously checking @@HIS@@ phone for notifications. "It would honestly be a much more efficient affair if we had an option to register our votes online. Voting would be able to continue regardless of the weather conditions and processing all of the votes cast would take less than a day. While it may be a tad insecure and difficult to verify, imagine how much time we could save!"
[effect] the number of votes candidates get tends to directly correspond with the size of their Twitcher following

[option validity] Only valid for nations without the internet
[option] "I'm simply too busy to go to voting booths," admits @@RANDOMNAME@@, an overworked office worker, nervously glancing at @@HIS@@ pocket watch. "It would honestly be a much more efficient affair if we had an option to vote for candidates via telephone. Voting would be able to continue regardless of the weather conditions and recording down all of the votes cast would take less than a day. While it may be a tad insecure and difficult to verify, imagine how much time we could save!"
[effect] the number of votes candidates get tends to directly correspond with the size of their ads in the newspaper

[option validity] Only valid for nations with the internet
[option] "What is this nonsense?" splutters a voting centre supervisor, storming into your office. "Not only will such a scheme trivialise the act of voting, but it is also highly susceptible to tampering. It is quite possible that a highly dedicated team of hackers might be able to impersonate voters, or worse, alter the results of an election by solely modifying a few lines of code. If you want greater political participation, making voting compulsory would be the best solution."
[effect] citizens who don't show up to voting centres are immediately charged with civil disobedience

[option validity] Only valid for nations without the internet
[option] "What is this nonsense?" splutters a voting centre supervisor, storming into your office. "Not only will such a scheme trivialise the act of voting, but it is also highly susceptible to tampering. It is quite possible that a highly dedicated gang of criminals might be able to impersonate voters by stealing their phones and personal particulars. If you want greater political participation, making voting compulsory would be the best solution."
[effect] citizens who don't show up to voting centres are immediately charged with civil disobedience

[option] "Wouldn't it be much better if citizens could vote on individual issues directly?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, an e-democracy advocate, who is responsible for flooding your feedback box with suggestions. "Referendums received by the government should be displayed to the public, so that interested citizens can remotely register their votes with mobile devices. Referendums that obtain more than half of popular approval should become law and be carried out by civil servants. With such a system, elected representatives won't be required anymore and the will of the people will be respected!"
[effect] voters who do not have mobile devices are excluded from the democratic process

[option] "This gives me an idea," monologues @@RANDOMNAME@@, your party vice chairperson, sporting a rather sinister expression. "If we make electronic voting the only way to go, it should be incredibly easy to fudge election results. Unlike physical ballot sheets that can be traced and verified, modification of digital records can't be easily tracked. Although this would essentially turn our nation into a one-party state, we can pretend that this isn't a dictatorship. There will still be 'elections', right?"
[effect] the ruling party boasts a 105 percent approval rating
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 15 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 am

include the word e-democracy somewhere and i'll be happy.
compulsory voting is almost certainly untracked.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 am

MeRconitonitopia wrote:include the word e-democracy somewhere and i'll be happy.

K. Put it in option '3' (actually 5 in the draft).
MeRconitonitopia wrote:compulsory voting is almost certainly untracked.

Really? If so, then I can expand the validity to all democratic nations.

I might need confirmation from issue editors first, however.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:01 am

Singapore no2 wrote:[effect] the number of votes a candidate gets tends to directly correspond with the size of their Twitcher following
Singapore no2 wrote:[effect] the number of votes a candidate gets tends to directly correspond with the size of their ads in the newspaper
"Candidates get".

Singapore no2 wrote:"Referendums received by the government should displayed to the public,"
"Be displayed".

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks, Trotterdam.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am

Singapore no2 wrote:[option validity] Only valid for nations without the internet
[option] "I'm simply too busy to go to voting booths," admits @@RANDOMNAME@@, an overworked office worker, nervously glancing at @@HIS@@ pocket watch. "It would honestly be a much more efficient affair if we had an option to vote for candidates via telephone. Voting would be able to continue regardless of the weather conditions and recording down all of the votes cast would take less than a day. Imagine how much time we could save!"
[effect] the number of votes candidates get tends to directly correspond with the size of their ads in the newspaper

How will election authorities check who's making the phone calls? What I mean is preventing someone from voting / calling multiple times. Or kids phoning putting on an adult voice. Or prisoners using their one phone call to vote?

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:16 am

Baggieland wrote:How will election authorities check who's making the phone calls? What I mean is preventing someone from voting / calling multiple times. Or kids phoning putting on an adult voice. Or prisoners using their one phone call to vote?

Exactly. Such a system of voting is dubious at best. That's why an issue is possible. Because there's a dilemma. Security and transparency could be sacrificed for convenience, if you deem fit.

I don't have sufficient space to elaborate on the method by which they verify your identity in the actual option, but I assume that, for discussion's sake, you may have to provide certain personal particulars for them to acertain that you are a legitimate voter.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 am

Singapore no2 wrote:Exactly. Such a system of voting is dubious at best. That's why an issue is possible. Because there's a dilemma. Security and transparency could be sacrificed for convenience, if you deem fit.

I don't have sufficient space to elaborate on the method by which they verify your identity in the actual option, but I assume that, for discussion's sake, you may have to provide certain personal particulars for them to acertain that you are a legitimate voter

Maybe add some of this to it, so the player is under no doubt that this is a dubious choice, if that's what they want!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:30 am

Baggieland wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Exactly. Such a system of voting is dubious at best. That's why an issue is possible. Because there's a dilemma. Security and transparency could be sacrificed for convenience, if you deem fit.

I don't have sufficient space to elaborate on the method by which they verify your identity in the actual option, but I assume that, for discussion's sake, you may have to provide certain personal particulars for them to acertain that you are a legitimate voter

Maybe add some of this to it, so the player is under no doubt that this is a dubious choice, if that's what they want!

Suggestion implemented.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Option 1- Hoteliers or waiters are more likely to be overworked than business owners
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Option 1- Hoteliers or waiters are more likely to be overworked than business owners

I wrote "office worker", not "office owner".
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Any more edits required?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:03 am

Last call for changes.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 am

Seems a bit of a non-issue. More of a structural / logistical issue than a political concern.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Seems a bit of a non-issue. More of a structural / logistical issue than a political concern.
I mean... we have an issue about Leader’s door...
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 am

Fauxia wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Seems a bit of a non-issue. More of a structural / logistical issue than a political concern.

Actually, I wanted to introduce the concept of an e-democracy to the game through this issue.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 am

Any suggestions for the title?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Lets Get Digital?
The Digital Democracy Dilemma?
Voting on Electronics?
One Phone, One Vote?
Electron Time? (electric, election... I'm sorry)
Electric Election? (I just had to)

Choose your poison; I prefer that last one tbh.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Jutsa wrote:Lets Get Digital?
Voting on Electronics?
One Phone, One Vote?

If you choose the second one, cut out “the.”

I like the first and the last, personally
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Jutsa wrote:Lets Get Digital?
Voting on Electronics?
One Phone, One Vote?

Thanks m8!
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Last call for changes.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:10 pm

I must say, this issue could also probably work for nations that do have compulsory voting. Think about how hard it must be to go out if you can't, and electric voting would be so much easier that way.
Then an option would propose taking away the workload by making voting not compulsory.

Not saying that it would be necessary for this issue, as there are already six options and has a different premise as of now,
but it might be an interesting alternative issue. :P

Otherwise, this looks good to me, although I didn't give it an advanced combing.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 am

Fauxia wrote:

Sure, but only as an allegory for the nation's politics as a whole. But sure, trivial crap exists in issues, mostly when its funny.

This seems to me trivial AND unfunny, so isn't worth it.

I mean, its a SingNo2 issue, so it pretty much automatically ends up at a good enough quality to go in the yes pile, but personally I find it dull as dishwater.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 am

You could always punch it up a little bit. Personally, I don't find it that trivial at all, and find it a good issue to cover.

In fact, thinking about it... it might be-

yep, checked. See issue #476: A Farewell To Raised Arms?

Idk if there's enough overlap, but just be taking a quick look, they do seem somewhat similar - just with a different premise. :(
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?