NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Banning Pets a Minor Faux-Paw?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Banning Pets a Minor Faux-Paw?

Postby Jutsa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 am

Alright, here's my next draft which actually is based off of Ransium's draft,
and I managed to successfully transfer some stuff over from the other draft. This actually started out with six very different options and went through many changes. :P

In fact, option 1 was taken from Ransium(since the draft I put it in was canned, although I still plan to work with it for that other idea CWA gave me),
option 4 was taken from Ransium(originally it had a completely different speaker and two variants, but I broke down and kept the old one),
5 and 6 were different options with a different reason for its split(and originally there was none), and then 7 was thrown in because I realized
that the validity of the whole thing could be - and should be - much more free.

Ok, ramble out of the way: My draft. :P

Title: Banning Pets a Minor Faux-Paw?
The Issue: Children and obsessive animal owners are up in arms about the prohibition of keeping pets. After seeing a small group of children cry as they were forced away from some cats and a dog they "rescued", you're beginning to wonder if something should be done about the people affected.
Validity: (Co-authored with Ransium) Pets are banned (regardless of elimination)

Option 1: "Look, you made the right decision banning pets," chirps animal patrol officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, blocking your view of the children. "Sure, there are some emotional repercussions, but think of the benefits! No more animal abuse, no more time-wasting cat videos, and... plenty of other things, too! You should fund some rehabilitation programs to make people see what a good thing this is - for everyone involved."
[effect] ex-pet owners must undergo extensive therapy to get over helping animals

Validity: Nation has zoos
Option 2: "You know, you could keep some of the more dependent and adorable critters in some zoos," purrs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a zookeeper who's desperately looking for some extra income. "People can still see the animals, and maybe even play with them for a while. Sure, the critters won't get the 'freedom' that they deserve, but at least we won't have to worry about abusive owners or crying children anymore."
[effect] feral animals are forced into concentration zoos to be oogled over by snot-nosed rugrats

Validity: Nation has high scientific advancement
Option 3: "Why have real pets when you can use substitutes?" yips famous eccentric inventor Dr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, while pulling out an adorable, if somewhat off-putting, robotic dog. "Meet Rex! With just a bit of government support, I could have 'Rex' in every household in @@NAME@@ within a year. Just think of it: no more pet food, no more housebreaking, and best of all, they never have to die!"
[effect] @@DEMONYNPLURAL@@ claim real animals are robots to avoid the national pet ban

Option 4: "Why can't I have Fluffy back?" cries a five-year-old girl who was separated from the cats you saw earlier. "You took away my puppy, Fluffy. I love Fluffy very much. I fed him, and walked him, and played with him! Then Mommy said, the gov-ment said we couldn't have Fluffy anymore, and people came and took Fluffy away." The girl then begins to tear up. "I want Fluffy back, because I love Fluffy, and he is the bestest puppy in the whole wide world, and, and, I want Fluffy back!"
[effect]cats are abducted from the wild and forced to wear sweaters

Validity: Pets are not being eliminated, nation is not hunter-gatherer based
Option 5: "I have no sympathy for these slave-driving idiots," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, who then hisses at a cat that catches @@HIS@@ eye. "Why should we be thinking about ourselves and ignore the freedom that these animals have been given? We need to go one step further - ban plants from captivity. Sure, farms may suffer a little loss, and famine may sweep across @@NAME@@, but at least the plants will be free from our oppressive tyranny!"
[effect]thousands of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ go hungry so plants won't be held in captivity

Validity: Pets are not being eliminated
Option 6: "Just kill 'em like I said," says a mustachioed local-government employee. "Problem solved."
[effect]animals are killed so people stop trying to feed them

The Issue: Children and obsessive animal owners are up in arms about the prohibition of keeping pets. After seeing a small group of children cry as they were forced away from some cats and a dog they "rescued", you're beginning to wonder if something should be done about the people affected.
Validity: (Co-authored with Ransium) Pets are banned (regardless of elimination)

Option 1: "Look, you made the right decision banning pets," chirps animal patrol officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, blocking your view of the children. "Sure, there are some emotional repercussions, but think of the benefits! No more animal abuse, no more time-wasting cat videos, and... plenty of other things, too! You should fund some rehabilitation programs to make people see what a good thing this is - for everyone involved."
[effect] ex-pet owners must undergo extensive therapy to get over helping animals

Option 2: "You know, you could keep some of the more dependent and adorable critters in some zoos," purrs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a zookeeper who's desperately looking for some extra income. "People can still see the animals, and maybe even play with them for a while. Sure, the critters won't get the 'freedom' that they deserve, but at least we won't have to worry about abusive owners or crying children anymore."
[effect] feral animals are forced into concentration zoos to be oogled over by rugrats

Option 3: "Why have real pets when you can use substitutes?" yips famous eccentric inventor Dr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, while pulling out an adorable, if somewhat off-putting, robotic dog. "Meet Rex! With just a bit of government support, I could have 'Rex' in every household in @@NAME@@ within a year. Just think of it: no more pet food, no more housebreaking, and best of all, they never have to die!"
[effect] @@DEMONYNPLURAL@@ claim real animals are robots to avoid the national pet ban

Option 4: "Why can't I have Fluffy back?" cries a five-year-old girl who was separated from the cats you saw earlier. "You took away my puppy, Fluffy. I love Fluffy very much. I fed him, and walked him, and played with him! Then Mommy said, the gov-ment said we couldn't have Fluffy anymore, and people came and took Fluffy away." The girl then begins to tear up. "I want Fluffy back, because I love Fluffy, and he is the bestest puppy in the whole wide world, and, and, I want Fluffy back!"

Validity: Pets are being eliminated, nation is not hunter-gatherer based
Option 5: "I have no sympathy for these sentimental idiots," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, who then hisses at a cat that catches @@HIS@@ eye. "Why should we be thinking about them when we're saving our whole nation from these pests? We need to go one step further - ban plants from captivity. Sure, farms may suffer a little loss, and famine may sweep across @@NAME@@, but at least the plants will be free from our oppressive tyranny!"
[effect]thousands of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ go hungry so plants won't be held in captivity

Option 6: "I have no sympathy for these slave-driving idiots," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, who then hisses at a cat that catches @@HIS@@ eye. "Why should we be thinking about ourselves and ignore the freedom that these animals have been given? We need to go one step further - ban plants from captivity. Sure, farms may suffer a little loss, and famine may sweep across @@NAME@@, but at least the plants will be free from our oppressive tyranny!"

Option 7: "Just kill 'em like I said," says a mustachioed local-government employee. "Problem solved."
[effect]animals are killed so people stop trying to feed them

The Issue: Children and obsessive animal owners are up in arms about the prohibition of keeping pets. After seeing a small group of children cry as they were forced away from some cats they "rescued", you're beginning to wonder if something should be done about the people affected.

Option 1: "Look, @@LEADER@@, you made the right decision in banning pets," chirps animal patrol officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, blocking your view of the children throwing a major fit. "Sure, there are some emotional repercussions from banning pets, but think of the benefits! No more animal abuse, no more time-wasting cat videos, and... plenty of other things, too! You should fund some rehabilitation programs to make people see what a good thing this is for everyone involved."

Option 2: "You know, you could keep some of the more dependent and adorable critters in some zoos," purrs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a zookeeper who's desperately looking for some extra income. "People can still see the animals, and maybe even play with them for a while. Sure, they won't get the 'freedom' that they deserve, but at least we won't have to worry about abusive owners or crying children anymore."
[effect] feral animals are forced into concentration zoos to be oogled over by snot-nosed rugrats

Option 3: "Wait! I have an idea!" yips famous eccentric inventor Dr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, while crashing next to you with @@HIS@@ homemade jetpack. "You see here, I've invented animatronic pets! Just look at my prototype 'Rex' here." @@HE@@ pulls out an adorable, if somewhat off-putting, robotic dog. "With just a bit of government support, I could have 'Rex' in every household in @@NAME@@ within a year. Just think of it: no more pet food, no more housebreaking, and best of all, they never have to die!"

Option 4: "Why can't I have Fluffy back?" cries a five-year-old girl who was separated from the cats you saw earlier. "You took away my puppy Fluffy. I love Fluffy very much. I fed him, and walked him, and I even picked up when he went doodies. Then Mommy said, the gov-ment said we couldn't have Fluffy anymore, and people came and took Fluffy away." The girl then begins to tear up. "I want Fluffy back, because I love Fluffy, and he is the bestest puppy in the whole wide world, and, and, I want Fluffy back!"

Validity: Pets are being eliminated, nation is not hunter-gatherer based
Option 5: "I have no sympathy for these slave-driving idiots," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, who then hisses at a cat that catches @@HIS@@ eye. "Why should we be thinking about them when we're saving our whole nation from these pests? What we need to do is go one step further - ban plants from captivity. Sure, farms may suffer a little loss, and famine may sweep across @@NAME@@, but at least the plants will be free from our oppressive tyranny!"

Option 6: "I have no sympathy for these slave-driving idiots," hisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, who then hisses at a cat that catches @@HIS@@ eye. "Why should we be thinking about ourselves and ignore the freedom that these animals have been given? What we need to do is go one step further - ban plants from captivity. Sure, farms may suffer a little loss, and famine may sweep across @@NAME@@, but at least the plants will be free from our oppressive tyranny!"

Option 7: "Just kill 'em like I said," says a mustachioed local-government employee. "Problem solved."
[effect]animals are killed so people stop feeling sorry for them

Oh, also, if you can find a way to put in the Garfield reference I made in the previous draft, I'd be delighted. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:56 pm

I don't see an option between 5 & 6. Also, if you needlessly kill animals, doesn't that contradict saving them
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 pm

“Really upset” seems a bit bland to me... I like “up in arms,” or else rephrase it a bit. You can keep it, but I will not be pleased :p
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:32 pm

I don't see an option between 5 & 6. Also, if you needlessly kill animals, doesn't that contradict saving them

There shouldn't be an option between 5 and 6. :P

Also, yeah, it does contradict saving them, but I wanted the ability to convert between non-elimination and elimination.
Regardless, I am perfectly fine ditching that option if it's prefered. :lol:

“Really upset” seems a bit bland to me... I like “up in arms,” or else rephrase it a bit.
Alrighty, changed.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:02 am

I know it's Christmas, but that's not going to stop me from my weekly bump. :3

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

If you're elidgible for most/all options, then they're simply too long
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Hmmm... yes, you make a good point, there.
I shall then attempt to shorten most of the options... :lol:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am

OK, I've attempted to shorten the options. I think that's as short as I can get most of them while still keeping the costs/benefits,
and all of them have been shortened to some degree.

Something to note is that six options are the max available at any one time, option 7 is stupidly short, and option 4's just too adorable to cut any more.
(I also did make the description slightly longer by adding a dog, so it ties in with option 4)

If you have any other suggestions on how to shorten this, I'll gladly take them.
Actually, any other suggestions period is welcome. :P

Divitalia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitalia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:52 pm

I absolutely love the way Option 4 is written, it actually made me quite sad. The issue is great, though the “keeping plants in captivity” thing is kind of weird in my opinion. What qualifies as keeping it “in captivity” in this case, it’s not like plants can get up and walk away. Maybe change it to “ban plants from farm use” or something.
Last edited by Divitalia on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Many thanks! Also, option 4, as well as 3, were written by Ransium(although I did change them a tiny bit, and significantly shortened option 3).

Edit: I'm not sure how to change it, since it'd also ideally ban houseplants. I'll try to make it work. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am

Bump~

By the way, I'm not too attached to options 5 or 6, if you recommend I ditch them.
Until then, I'ma keep them, though. :P

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Snot-nosed rugrats is a bit harsh to me...

I kinda think option 7 is a bit too short... it can be short, but I think maybe one more sentence.

Option 5 seems a bit inconsistent to me. First of all, they wouldn’t say “famine,” they would pretend nothing would happen. Furthermore, if pets are being eliminated, he shouldn’t want plants free, he should want them eliminated.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am

Bump!

Updated by cutting out option 5 and "snot-nosed". Idk if rugrats is too harsh or not... :P

I think option 7's fine; it's based off of another character with a similarly short option, and, I mean, with the possibility of getting all 6 options,
it doesn't hurt to have a short option.

You know, looking at this, if you are a primitive nation devout to eliminating pets but neither have zoos nor are a hunter-gatherer society, you'd get only 2 options. Huh!
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Jutsa wrote:Bump!

Updated by cutting out option 5 and "snot-nosed". Idk if rugrats is too harsh or not... :P

I think option 7's fine; it's based off of another character with a similarly short option, and, I mean, with the possibility of getting all 6 options,
it doesn't hurt to have a short option.

You know, looking at this, if you are a primitive nation devout to eliminating pets but neither have zoos nor are a hunter-gatherer society, you'd get only 2 options. Huh!
Seems fair enough. Rugrats is ok.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 am

Submitted. :)

Autumns
Envoy

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Autumns » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 am

I hope I get it. Nice issue ;)
TRANSGIRL♀__LOVEWHOYOUARE~

If you are reading this, just know that you're loved <3
Political Compass | 8values | 16personalities
She/her, yuri aficionado, trans-ace. Always advance, never retreat. If the situation demands it, make a tactical 180-degree turn and continue advancing.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 am

Teehee, thanks. Set out to make a reversal, I've grown rather fond
of coming up with new complications that arise from banning pets.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Good luck Jutsa

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?