NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEAL A Bright Idea (Take 2)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

ISSUE IDEAL A Bright Idea (Take 2)

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:57 am

[title] A Bright idea

[desc] @@NAME@@ made a commitment to increase the number of solar panals, before discovering a flaw with the proposal, the higher latitude regions of the nation, which are subject to the midnight sun and polar night, require more electricity during the winter than what they do during the summer. There are various proposals in front of you in how to combat the problem

[validity] Must have a commitment to solar energy

[option] "I know what we can do" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a solar battery manufacturer "most solar electricity is generated during the summer, when the sun is shining, and is used in the winter, when it's cold and dark. We should therefore invest more money in developing batteries which could store electricity for months at a time, and generate enough power in summer to get us through the winter!"
[effect] the environmental damage caused by solar batteries out-weighs the benefits provided by solar panels

[option] "This problem is a bit of a doozy indeed." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a professor of renewable energy "Perhaps we are looking at the situation in the wrong way. Whilst there may not be enough sunlight during the colder months of the year, the warmer months have an abundance of the light generated by our nearest star. Similarly, the lower latitude areas of the nation, where the summers are more likely to be on the extreme side than the winters, have a more even distribution of solar light throughout the year, but require more of it during the warmer months, in order to power air-conditioning units, and the usage of lighting is more evenly distributed throughout the year. I therefore propose that we construct a giant north-south running power line, and transport all electricity across the nation, and have the power line switch directions with the seasons"
[effect] half the nation’s solar panels are used to provide enough power to be able to transport electricity 

[option] "You guys are all forgetting something important" comments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a higher school student from the polar region, who failed science "When the sun don’t shine, there are those green and red lights in the sky, what’s it called? Oh yea, the aurora, that thing. Why can't we use those for solar power?"
[effect] I’m sure there’s a million funny reasons why this is a bad idea, but I can’t come up with a single one of them 

[option] "I have ze solution" intervenes crackpot inventor @@RANDOMNAME@@ "Vhy don't ve build giant mirror over horizon to reflect solar light into polar places. Zis way ve can also create more vitamin D for everyone in ze vinters. And ve can put giant holes so zat ships, cars and trains can pass. It’s good idea, no?"
[effect] people are blinded by looking at their reflections on the horrizon
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Australian Republic wrote:[title] A Bright idea

[desc] @@NAME@@ made a commitment to increase the number of solar panals,
Panels
before discovering a flaw with the proposal, the higher latitude regions of the nation, which are subject to the midnight sun and polar night, require more electricity during the winter than what they do during the summer. There are various proposals in front of you in how to combat the problem

[validity] Must have a commitment to solar energy

[option] "I know what we can do"
Don’t forget your comma
suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a solar battery manufacturer
Period, have a capital letter here
"most solar electricity is generated during the summer, when the sun is shining, and is used in the winter, when it's cold and dark. We should therefore invest more money in developing batteries which could store electricity for months at a time, and generate enough power in summer to get us through the winter!"
[effect] the environmental damage caused by solar batteries out-weighs the benefits provided by solar panels

[option] "This problem is a bit of a doozy indeed."
Comma, no capital
Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a professor of renewable energy
Period here
“Perhaps we are looking at the situation in the wrong way. Whilst there may not be enough sunlight during the colder months of the year, the warmer months have an abundance of the light generated by our nearest star. Similarly, the lower latitude areas of the nation, where the summers are more likely to be on the extreme side than the winters, have a more even distribution of solar light throughout the year, but require more of it during the warmer months, in order to power air-conditioning units, and the usage of lighting is more evenly distributed throughout the year. I therefore propose that we construct a giant north-south running power line, and transport all electricity across the nation, and have the power line switch directions with the seasons"
[effect] half the nation’s solar panels are used to provide enough power to be able to transport electricity 

[option] "You guys are all forgetting something important" comments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a higher school student from the polar region, who failed science "When the sun don’t shine, there are those green and red lights in the sky, what’s it called? Oh yea, the aurora, that thing. Why can't we use those for solar power?"
[effect] I’m sure there’s a million funny reasons why this is a bad idea, but I can’t come up with a single one of them 

[option] "I have ze solution" intervenes crackpot inventor @@RANDOMNAME@@ "Vhy don't ve build giant mirror over horizon to reflect solar light into polar places. Zis way ve can also create more vitamin D for everyone in ze vinters. And ve can put giant holes so zat ships, cars and trains can pass. It’s good idea, no?"
[effect] people are blinded by looking at their reflections on the horrizon
Horizon.

Also, who says my nation spans several latitude lines?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 am

The premise is good, and the first option is excellent.

After that the issue just goes off the rails. I'd suggest ditching the remaining options, and presenting a couple of other realistic alternatives instead, from the following list:

- Let the free market and supply and demand set the price, so that electricity costs more at darker times of year, which in turn will limit usage.
- Diversify the green energy supply, to reduce dependence on solar, for example adding more wind farms.
- Recognise that cheap energy drives prosperity, and allow nuclear and fossil fuel power stations to make a resurgence: now solar power has the infrastructure in place they can compete more fairly.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?